• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2: 13.3M+ PS5s; Sales shatter industry records for sixth straight quarter

DeepSpace5D

nI41AWD.jpeg
I’m not sure what this chart says exactly. Maybe I’m not reading it right, I’m pretty sure Uncharted 4 was already announced at 16 million in 2019.

Edit: I think I get it now. It’s showing how quickly in a certain timeframe it reached those numbers.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Operating profits down from last year.

Gaming Operating Profit : ¥82.7bn / $0.751B (-21.2% YoY from ¥104.9bn / $0.988B - Q2 FY20)

Hoping for them to recover soon.
Do they explain what's the cause for that big drop?

Over $5.86B Revenue and $0.751B Profit between July-Sept 2021
Biggest Q2 Revenue everfor PlayStation (and for any platform holder)

PlayStation Store had its biggest Q2 Revenue ever with more than $2.86B
PlayStation Software & Services saw their biggest Q2 Revenue ever with more than $4.03B
Didn't you get the memo? Revenue doesn't matter!

Bodomism

Banned
Not true. They never shared God of War data either until last month, and it was sitting at almost 20 million copies on PS4 alone. For all we know, TLOU 2 has already crossed 10 million. We know it outsold Ghost of Tsushima in my many markets, including NA.
No.

GOW numbers were shared multiple times by Sony from launch(3M), a month(5M), and a year(10M) after released.

Other PS4 games like HZD, Spider-man, and GOT were also getting more sales update after launched on the market.

Sony went radio silence on TLOU2 after the game was launched on the market.

reksveks

Do they explain what's the cause for that big drop?
Need to do the maths again but their last two quarters operating income yoy change has been around -30% and the main reason I can think is that they have gone from barely selling a profitable ps4 or an unprofitable (and now just break-even) ps5

Last edited:

Kerotan

Over $5.86B Revenue and $0.751B Profit between July-Sept 2021
Biggest Q2 Revenue everfor PlayStation (and for any platform holder)

PlayStation Store had its biggest Q2 Revenue ever with more than $2.86B
PlayStation Software & Services saw their biggest Q2 Revenue ever with more than $4.03B
Hopefully they can recover soon!

PS plus numbers are fantastic considering covid has lessoned. Next up 50m this Christmas?!

reksveks

These sales figures dont tell us much because both platforms are selling out.
I can see what the xbox growth would have been if they had a similar hw growth to Sony. I think you quickly lead to the conversations about how supply constrained is both consoles and no-one knows that.

The thing that's most interesting is trying to figure out personally.

Sony software growth
This latest quarter is total is up 4%
Physical is down about 17%
Digital is up about 1%
Mtx is up about 10%.

Separately network is up 5% but its only 1/3 of software revenue.

Microsoft software and content growth is just 2% but how does that breakdown?

Last edited:

[Sigma]

As expected the Sony published games are down vs the last Q2, definitely wasn't going to beat that one considering what came out and was on PS4 at the time with that install base.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I can see what the xbox growth would have been if they had a similar hw growth to Sony. I think you quickly lead to the conversations about how supply constrained is both consoles and no-one knows that.

The thing that's most interesting is trying to figure out personally.

Sony software growth
This latest quarter is total is up 4%
Physical is down about 17%
Digital is up about 1%
Mtx is up about 10%.

Separately network is up 5% but its only 1/3 of software revenue.

Microsoft software and content growth is just 2% but how does that breakdown?

We do know that theres a world wide silicon shortage and that both platforms are selling out.

Im pretty sure there was not a breakdown of Microsofts software and content growth. We do know gamepass targets were not met, which imo is down to customer awarness and no big games lainching. Microsoft need to advertise more imo.

Outrunner

We do know that theres a world wide silicon shortage and that both platforms are selling out.

Im pretty sure there was not a breakdown of Microsofts software and content growth. We do know gamepass targets were not met, which imo is down to customer awarness and no big games lainching. Microsoft need to advertise more imo.

Microsoft needs to advertise better, not more.

GHG

Gold Member
This article provides a good summary:

Sony ekes out 1% Q2 profit rise as PS5 costs squeeze margins​

TOKYO (Reuters) -Japan's Sony Group Corp on Thursday squeezed out a surprise 1% rise in operating profit for its second quarter though costs from growing sales of its PlayStation 5 (PS5) console pressed on margins.

Weaker profitability in the key games segment could also not stop the group hiking its full-year operating forecast by 6% to 1 trillion yen ($8.81 billion) from its August forecast, driven by expected profit growth in movies, music and electronics.
Sony said it has sold a cumulative 13.4 million units PS5 units since launch last November. That contributed to a 27% year-on-year jump in sales at its gaming unit, though profit was less robust as the conglomerate sold hardware below cost.

Manufacturers frequently sell new consoles at a loss as they build an install base for software sales, with component shortages providing extra pain for makers of the latest generation of devices.

Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said Sony is on track to sell 14.8 million PS5 consoles this financial year - a target that takes into account the global shortages. Sales of first-party titles fell, though sales from other developers grew.

Gaming firms' earnings were flattered last year by stay-at-home demand during the depths of the COVID-19 pandemic. Since then, sliding PlayStation user numbers have stabilised, Totoki said, as the company approaches the year-end shopping season.

Sony also said it is considering partnering Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd in its plans to build a chip plant in Japan without confirming further details, amid a corporate scramble to secure long-term stable semiconductor supply.

Sony reported group profit of 318.5 billion yen for July-September, beating the 222 billion yen average of six analyst estimates compiled by Refinitiv.

The conglomerate - spanning areas such as entertainment, sensors and financial services - switched to IFRS accounting standards from U.S. GAAP in the current financial year.

Across its business, Sony is enmeshed in a global battle for consumer attention as entertainment giants look beyond the United States for growth and mine non-English-language creators for content.

In a blow to Sony's pop culture credentials, South Korea's top cultural export, boy band BTS, said last week it has dropped its Columbia Records label for a deal with Universal Music Group NV.

Other challenges include an investor attempt to oust the management of India's Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd, casting a shadow over merger talks with Sony's local unit.

---

It is not a fair comparison to be honest as the PS4 didn’t have the benefit of a pandemic which undoubtedly ballooned those numbers.

The PS4 didn't have the issue of releasing in a pandemic which caused a chip shortage and put a squeeze on supply chains.

What's "not fair" about it?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Microsoft needs to advertise better, not more.
I disagree. There adverts are very good.
I think they need more in the trenches advertising, in schools, army, youth clubs , soccer adverts on premiere and European leagues as well as an increase of instagram, youtube and twitter ad soending.

I guess it might be a matter of big games. Both platforms advertise more with there big games, at the moment i see playstation advertise ps+ and call of duty. I orefer when sony advertise hardware features and AAA exclusives (even if they have been out a while like rift apart and returnal)

skit_data

I disagree. There adverts are very good.
I think they need more in the trenches advertising, in schools, army, youth clubs , soccer adverts on premiere and European leagues as well as an increase of instagram, youtube and twitter ad soending.

I guess it might be a matter of big games. Both platforms advertise more with there big games, at the moment i see playstation advertise ps+ and call of duty. I orefer when sony advertise hardware features and AAA exclusives (even if they have been out a while like rift apart and returnal)
Yikes

Sosokrates

Yeah, there definitely wasn't. It was more of a unanswerable question but one that I would be interested to see.

I dont think its that an important, it will be a mix of gamepass, game sales? and XBLG subs

These things grew by 2% since the end of q4 2021.

Which I dont quite get because gamepass grew by like 30%, its probably being offset by lower games sales.

So yeah a full breakdown would be useful.

Sosokrates

Is that the best you can do 🤣

To be fair its probably illegal now. I know in America the milk industry would advertise in schools. And when i was in school mcdonalds sponsored my schools chariety run by giving us orange juice and chocolate bars.

Last edited:

EdGalTBR

Banned
Quarter​
PS4​
PS5​
FY1Q1​
FY1Q2​
FY1Q3​
4.50​
4.50​
FY1Q4​
3.10​
3.30​
FY1​
7.60​
7.80​
FY2Q1​
2.80​
2.30​
FY2Q2​
3.40​
3.30​
LTD​
13.80​
13.40​

PS5 still behind of PS4.

Last edited:

skit_data

Is that the best you can do 🤣

To be fair its probably illegal now. I know in America the milk industry would advertise in schools. And when i was in school mcdonalds sponsored my schools chariety run by giving us orange juice and chocolate bars.
I’d say advertising in schools is unethical, the milk industry did it in Sweden as well when I was a kid (they probably still do to some extent) and as an adult I question it.

Video game advertisment in school is definitely something I would have issues with.

Those software sales seem abysmal low for last of us 2 and ps5 exclusives not including PS4 am i reading those right?

4mill for last of us 2 so far?
0.56 for returnal
1.1 mill for ratchet? Out of 10 to 13 million consoles?

I thought exclusives and games in general sold really we’ll the first year when the line up is tighter and not as broad as the later years. Early adopters normally want to purchase a lot of games For their hardware?

appreciate I might be looking at the data wrong?

oh wait ignore me, they only seem to be reporting some data for games. Why would they only report 3 days of sales data for last of us 2 when it’s been out for over a year?
Yeah R&C numbers are from one month, it has undoubtedly sold many more copies than that by now but the series doesn't sell like the other big AAA IP Sony own, the 2016 game was the best selling game in the franchise I believe and didn't even hit 4 million, they tend to sell between 1-2 million copies so it's probably right where they expected it to be. Returnal was a niche game and likely very cheap to make, housemarque is a small studio and I doubt they expected it to do huge numbers. TLOU2 number should be updated, there is no reason to keep reporting 4 million when that was sold in the first 3 days, maybe it sold below the original in the same time frame and they don't want to make that known? I'm sure it's over 6-7 million by now though.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

I’d say advertising in schools is unethical, the milk industry did it in Sweden as well when I was a kid (they probably still do to some extent) and as an adult I question it.

Video game advertisment in school is definitely something I would have issues with.

Most advertising is unethical. Its funny how our society draws the line with school. But happily lets them consume the most tailored advertising in the history of mankind through smartphones.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This article provides a good summary:

---

The PS4 didn't have the issue of releasing in a pandemic which caused a chip shortage and put a squeeze on supply chains.

What's "not fair" about it?
Yes the PS5 is selling as much as they can manufacture as it is a rare item because of the pandemic/shortage situation and will continue that way for a long time but PS4 was selling even when it was widely available and people weren’t spending most of the time at home. Yes it is unfair to the PS4.

Top Bottom