• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1: 2.3 M PS5s shipped; G&NS reports record-breaking revenues

Bryank75

Banned
Gaming revenue is up but that's due to PS5 hardware sales. Gaming profit is down mostly due to the fact that the PS5 is sold at a loss.
Pretty sure they're in the black on the disc model now and that is the main model sold.

I think software and services was a huge hit.

No big income from PC and massive marketing spend on PSNow...... but I have not been reading very in depth they're just hunches.

Gaming revenue is up but that's due to PS5 hardware sales. Gaming profit is down mostly due to the fact that the PS5 is sold at a loss.
7PiY6qj.png

This you fam? Care to comment on the 26% decline in third-party titles for Playstation?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They say they had a reduction on third parties and forecast the same in the next quarter.

Wasn't that enough to claim Gamepass was cannibalizing sales when Microsoft reported their numbers?
To all those people, can you explain why the same is happening to Sony?
Fair question in this scenario, just inviting more of the same in future Xbox threads. Better to have honest and not disingenuous discussion than pretending to have safe spaces/echo chambers.

Post pandemic effect on gaming is being felt by both companies.

The stock deserves to be down..... the management team at PlayStation (and whoever is giving orders from above) really are not doing a good job on a strategic level.

-16% is a massive decrease in content and services and Jim has been pushing PSNow VERY hard, advertising is everywhere online.

Time for these fools to realize HARDWARE and EXCLUSIVES are the important things.

What did the PC games do for them? If anything lost them 3rd party sales due to gamers deciding they can experience things on PC instead.

Where is all the PC money?????? Idiots.....
Are you still blaming him for MLB the show? lol and 2 games on PC with one more coming somewhere down the line? a game that's like 5 years old.

Bryank75

Banned
Are you still blaming him for MLB the show? lol and 2 games on PC with one more coming somewhere down the line? a game that's like 5 years old.

Yeah, where is ALLLLLLL the money from those ports? I was assured Sony would be raking it in for their efforts....

Fucking waste of time.
MLB is his fault, he should told them to shove it and find someone else to make it if they didn't like it being exclusive.

There is zero fan engagement, zero excitement or energy...... why would anyone be enthusiastic to buy games with him heading things up.

There is more to being a CEO than putting the price up and putting games on PC and thinking that the money will roll in. He is a fucking moron. He should be taking care of chickens. He can count their eggs.

Pretty sure they're in the black on the disc model now and that is the main model sold.
I believe they said it would start to break even in Q2. So next financial quarter should show a much favorable profit margin.

I think software and services was a huge hit.

No big income from PC and massive marketing spend on PSNow......
I don't think PC will ever be a big earner for them. They could stop doing it entirely and it wouldn't move a needle.

PSNow will forever be stuck in 3-5 million subs unless they market it to the casuals in a package appetizing for them.

b6a6es

Banned
Xbox numbers dropped last week, and in the thread some people were concerned about the -4% in content and services, some of them blaming Gamepass for eating sales.

Playstation content and services is at -16%. Either Gamepass is eating Playstation sales, or Gamepass has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

(it's the latter, of course)
It’s important to note that GP includes PC, so it’s not just for Xbox

honestly the only thing that caused these numbers in PS content & Services is due to lack of any noteworthy Roadmap of content, especially with Sony ditching E3 with little to nothing of showings to compensate for that, the last State of Play was honestly embarrassing imo and I could see Sony rushing the rumored September showing to this month

b6a6es

Banned
I believe they said it would start to break even in Q2. So next financial quarter should show a much favorable profit margin.

I don't think PC will ever be a big earner for them. They could stop doing it entirely and it wouldn't move a needle.

PSNow will forever be stuck in 3-5 million subs unless they market it to the casuals in a package appetizing for them.
It’s important to note that PSNow is only available in the americas

EDIT: Oops

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yeah, where is ALLLLLLL the money from those ports? I was assured Sony would be raking it in for their efforts....

Fucking waste of time.
MLB is his fault, he should told them to shove it and find someone else to make it if they didn't like it being exclusive.

There is zero fan engagement, zero excitement or energy...... why would anyone be enthusiastic to buy games with him heading things up.

There is more to being a CEO than putting the price up and putting games on PC and thinking that the money will roll in. He is a fucking moron. He should be taking care of chickens. He can count their eggs.
To be fair, people in past MLB threads said the game usually sells about 1mil a year. Its sold 2mil here, so it has kind of worked out for MLB.

Having said that, it was nothing to do with Jim anyway. It was go multiplatform or lose the license.

Bryank75

Banned

They need to forget PC, it's a distraction, so is mobile and cloud...... just completely unfocused strategy.

I really don't think much of the way they are approaching this.

I call it the 'Jim Ryan Effect'...... porting games to PC, focusing on cloud gaming and undermining hardware and zero engagement with the fanbase = less enthusiasm to play and less game sales.
Layden was the one that got the ball rolling on the PC stuff but it was bound to happen eventually and every game that's been ported was at least 2 years old, that has no impact on their consoles sales at all but can bring more money in which they need.

It’s important to note that PSNow is only available in the americas
PlayStation Now is available in Europe (including Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom), North America (Canada and the United States), as well as Japan.

Bryank75

Banned
Layden was the one that got the ball rolling on the PC stuff but it was bound to happen eventually and every game that's been ported was at least 2 years old, that has no impact on their consoles sales at all but can bring more money in which they need.
No money, I can't see that it moved the needle at all..... they make way more from other stuff that they should be more focused on.....

Exclusives are just to get people in the door and if they are everywhere, they are not doing that job.

It's completely stupid to put their games on PC.

I was told that the profits would soar from PC ports due to them not costing much and all the PC gamers that buy games....it's all bullshit.

Last edited:

reksveks

Nothing is definitive. That statement could still be correct.

That 4% decline sums up both content and services. It could be 50% decline in 3rd party titles for all we know, offset by an increase in services.
I was going to say that we have a general understanding of service numbers, barring a major change to the average revenue per user for ps+ and psnow. We know that there is 3% more users on ps+. But actually, I don't know how the accounting for 12month subscribers are done.

It’s important to note that GP includes PC, so it’s not just for Xbox

honestly the only thing that caused these numbers in PS content & Services is due to lack of any noteworthy Roadmap of content, especially with Sony ditching E3 with little to nothing of showings to compensate for that, the last State of Play was honestly embarrassing imo and I could see Sony rushing the rumored September showing to this month
To Microsoft, pc is just another hardware platform for xbox services. I think we need to get used to that.

This would have been the notable quarter of this year but I think we generally might be forgetting how strong q1 2020 was in terms of game releases for Sony, TLOU2 would be skewing numbers. Ghost of Tsushima will be in q2 2020 if I have the dates right.

Last edited:

EdGalTBR

Banned
Code:
+---------+-------+-------+
| Quarter |  PS4  |  PS5  |
|  FY1Q1  |       |       |
|  FY1Q2  |       |       |
|  FY1Q3  |  4.50 |  4.50 |
|  FY1Q4  |  3.10 |  3.30 |
|   FY1   |  7.60 |  7.80 |
|  FY2Q1  |  2.80 |  2.30 |
|  FY2Q2  |  3.30 |  3.30 |
|   LTD   | 13.70 | 13.40 |

Last edited:

onesvenus

They need to forget PC, it's a distraction, so is mobile and cloud...... just completely unfocused strategy.
Uncharted markets is where they can grow most though. It should be easier to grow Playstation players where they don't exist now than to try to increase them on the console market.

Fucking waste of time.

It's a good thing you aren't handling PlayStation they'd go broke lol. The MLB thing sucked but it makes more money for Sony in the long run, they get some kind of compensation for being the developer and more copies sold plus those on GP will mean more money from the microtransactions they have set up in that series as well, money which can go to developing new games.

Nobody said they were going to make billions off of their PC ports or anything and it's only been 2 games so far both of which were old and haven't been selling many copies on console in a long time. Those are also games that could either lure PC gamers into buying a console as a secondary gaming device or at the very least a cheap investment to make some money back. Making games gets more expensive every generation, as long as they keep the new stuff PlayStation only and do the PC ports years later they aren't hurting anyone.

I also don't get where they zero enthusiasm is, they are selling every console they can make and sales are your number one metric for enthusiasm I don't care what anyone says.

yurinka

I call it the 'Jim Ryan Effect'...... porting games to PC, focusing on cloud gaming and undermining hardware and zero engagement with the fanbase = less enthusiasm to play and less game sales.
The Jim Ryan effect is them reaching revenue records for a console platform holder in gaming history, having the best selling launch console ever, to continue dominating the GOTY awards every year with their exclusives that now sell better than ever, to grow their internal studios, to make acquisitions that make sense and to have a profitable instead of suicidal game subscription strategy.

This would have been the notable quarter of the year but I think we generally might be forgetting how strong q1 2020 was in terms of game releases for Sony, TLOU2 would be skewing numbers.
This is a good point. It explains the 44% decrease in first-party title sales.

I don't think I'd agree with you on the mobile part. Sony's Fate Grand Order on mobile has already amassed $4 billion dollars since its release. There's money to be made there. As long as the mobiles games are not handled by the Sony Worldwide Studios, mobile strategy will not take away from the focus on console.

Also, the cloud strategy could be executed without taking away from the value of playstation console gaming.

Bryank75

Banned
It's a good thing you aren't handling PlayStation they'd go broke lol. The MLB thing sucked but it makes more money for Sony in the long run, they get some kind of compensation for being the developer and more copies sold plus those on GP will mean more money from the microtransactions they have set up in that series as well, money which can go to developing new games.

Nobody said they were going to make billions off of their PC ports or anything and it's only been 2 games so far both of which were old and haven't been selling many copies on console in a long time. Those are also games that could either lure PC gamers into buying a console as a secondary gaming device or at the very least a cheap investment to make some money back. Making games gets more expensive every generation, as long as they keep the new stuff PlayStation only and do the PC ports years later they aren't hurting anyone.

I also don't get where they zero enthusiasm is, they are selling every console they can make and sales are your number one metric for enthusiasm I don't care what anyone says.

In business it's called playing 'hardball'...... it doesn't mean that MLB will walk away with the license, it just means you are unwilling to give in easily.

It certainly wouldn't have been on Gamepass.

Zero point to the PC ports.... wasted energy, another pointless function that makes no real material difference. There is basically no profit to be had from it and it lowers the value of the exclusives.

onesvenus onesvenus if they want to sell in 'uncharted areas' they just need to have good regional pricing or payment plans for the consoles when necessary. PSNow is the other option...... people can use that if they can't afford hardware, why are they cannibalizing PSnow subs by putting games on PC???

The strategy is completely unfocused....

Bryank75

Banned
I don't think I'd agree with you on the mobile part. Sony's Fate Grand Order on mobile has already amassed $4 billion dollars since its release. There's money to be made there. As long as the mobiles games are not handled by the Sony Worldwide Studios, mobile strategy will not take away from the focus on console.

Also, the cloud strategy could be executed without taking away from the value of playstation console gaming.

Mobile should be under Sony music, not part of PlayStation... PS is meant to be console focused.

Now they are looking at console, streaming, PC, VR, mobile....... etc etc etc.

It's too much bullshit. They just need to focus on console again. Where the fuck are they going?

Bryank75

Banned
The Jim Ryan effect is them reaching revenue records for a console platform holder in gaming history, having the best selling launch console ever, to continue dominating the GOTY awards every year with their exclusives that now sell better than ever, to grow their internal studios, to make acquisitions that make sense and to have a profitable instead of suicidal game subscription strategy.

He didnt have anything to do with the console or the game development....
his ideas are cloud is great, PC, mobile.......this unfocused hodgepodge strategy that goes nowhere.
Topped off with zero communication and arrogance.

No money, I can't see that it moved the needle at all..... they make way more from other stuff that they should be more focused on.....

Exclusives are just to get people in the door and if they are everywhere, they are not doing that job.

It's completely stupid to put their games on PC.

I was told that the profits would soar from PC ports due to them not costing much and all the PC gamers that buy games....it's all bullshit.
How many copies did you expect 2 old games to sell on PC? Plus one was released almost a year ago so it's not bringing anything in anymore and the other came out a few months ago. I loved both games but it's not like Days Gone was a huge hit on PS4 so how much did you expect it to make on PC? I'm sure both were profitable and it's not like those ports caused other original titles to not be made.

Their revenue was about $2 Billion more than xbox was for microsoft, there is nothing going wrong at PlayStation right now other than some fans acting like hysterical children. Ryan isn't a likeable guy, he says dumb things sometimes but so far everything is going as well as can be expected for PS5 given the things that are out of his control.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Sony shipped 10.2 million PS4s by end of June 2014. Took them until August to sell 10 million to customers.
Sony shipped 10.1 million PS5s by end of June 2021. Took them until July to sell 10 million to customers.

So we can see that:
1. Sony are selling every PS5 they can make. They'd have sold more if they made more.
2. The limited supply of PS5s is catching up to Sony for the longterm and may be why they fall behind the pace of PS4 sales.
3. PS5 needed Knack 3 as a must have launch game to reach the next level of sales. Without, best they could do was repeat last gen.

Bryank75

Banned
No, they are focused on growing. The console market is hard to grow.
You don't liking that strategy doesn't mean it's unfocused. They bought a company that specializes in PC ports, they talk about wanting more Playstation franchises in mobile, ...
Console is hard to grow? Do you see how they are selling?

The growth rate for console is 7%, that is nearly double PC's growth rate of 4%.

My question was why are they porting to PC when they have a cloud service for non-console users????

No need for PC ports.Either buy the console or play on PSNow....simple, concise, no need for more bullshit, no need for nixxes or more studio time to accommodate.

Leave mobile to Sony music who know what they are doing.

Focus on console. That's it.

Klik

No wonder they won't so PS5 event. Probably every game is delayed to Q4 2022.

It really sucks getting a PS5 and don't have games for it + every AAA title is crossgen in 2022 which is crap.
Cmon really, GT7 crossgen in 2022..instead of making games from ground to up for Ryzen cpu, SSD we again have to stick with jaguar and hdd. Fcking sucks

Honestly, seeing that makes me wanna buy gaming PC as soon as GPU prices go down.

Bryank75

Banned
How many copies did you expect 2 old games to sell on PC? Plus one was released almost a year ago so it's not bringing anything in anymore and the other came out a few months ago. I loved both games but it's not like Days Gone was a huge hit on PS4 so how much did you expect it to make on PC? I'm sure both were profitable and it's not like those ports caused other original titles to not be made.

Their revenue was about $2 Billion more than xbox was for microsoft, there is nothing going wrong at PlayStation right now other than some fans acting like hysterical children. Ryan isn't a likeable guy, he says dumb things sometimes but so far everything is going as well as can be expected for PS5 given the things that are out of his control.
PC users could have just used PSNow.....

No need to port, no need to buy nixxes. It adds nothing to the PlayStation platform overall.

They shoulda bought a real studio that can make a game and put time into managing a new project than porting to make pennies.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
83g6L1s.png

I don't want to give Bryank75 Bryank75 a heart attack, but PC sales are in the "Others" category and that category grew by 90% and is twice as big as the physical software category (which gets hotly disputed weekly threads on here). Sorry Bryan!
Is there any proof whereby 90% of PC sales from others? or just BS coming from you as usual? xP

reksveks

Is there any proof whereby 90% of PC sales from others? or just BS coming from you as usual? xP
You didn't read the comment correctly but yes, we don't know how others split. I don't know if we have a good idea how psvr is selling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom