• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1: 2.3 M PS5s shipped; G&NS reports record-breaking revenues

zedinen

Q1 FY2021 Highlights

PS5 is the fastest-selling console in history

"Since launching in November 2020, PS5 global sales have outpaced PS4, SIE’s previous record holder for fastest selling console"

. Units sold

PS5 reached 10M sold-through (as of July 18, 2021)

PS4 reached 10M sold-through (as of August 10, 2014)

2. Units shipped

Q1 FY 2021

NMddtV1.jpeg

LTD

AFG7Bp5.jpeg

3. PlayStation Network

5p1mfKo.jpeg

4. Sony Games

Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation)

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4/PS5)
from Insomniac Games has sold more than 6.5 million copies

MLB The Show 21 (Multi-platform)
from San Diego Studio has sold more than 2 million copies

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
from Insomniac Games has sold more than 1.1 million copies

Returnal (PS5)
from Housemarque, has sold more than 560,000 copies

Sony Music Entertainment Japan's Aniplex (Mobile Gaming)

Fate/Grand Order from Sony’s Aniplex surpassed $4 billion in lifetime player spending according to Sensor Tower (Jan 30, 2020)

FGO fever is still going strong in Japan according to Sensor Tower

CUjo7ey.jpeg

5. SIE's internal development studios grew from 20 to 500 people

“Many of our studios grew naturally. These studios were small before, and gradually grew from about 20 to 500 people”

Gs2R9uB.jpeg

6. Sony Q1 FY2021 Consolidated Results

hclNBPi.jpeg

7. G&NS Q1 FY2021 Results

XS3A3vA.jpeg

bYX9rmU.jpeg

8. Sony posts record gaming revenue (GNS + Music Mobile Gaming)

- June 2021 ¥633,770
= (615,810 + 17,960)

-June 2020 ¥632,130 = (606,109 + 25,920)

June 2021

bYX9rmU.jpeg

qDg7o6i.jpeg

June 2020

ABvx75K.jpeg

9. G&NS FY2021 Forecast

Sales and Operating Income remain unchanged from April forecast

4hyECf4.jpeg

10.Pre-Pandemic Levels

Q1 FY19 ( Software + Services) = ¥324,917

EhpgjNq.jpeg

Q1 FY21 (Software + Services) = ¥448,020

bYX9rmU.jpeg

11. PS5 sales target

FY21 14.8M+

FY22 22.6M+

wIkxdak.jpeg

12. PS5 market share target

CY25 50%+ (approx. $45Bn in revenue)

mnxUtC9.jpeg

13. PlayStation (SIE) revenue structure

Software, Services&Peripherals account for 80% in FY20

tuZvlYV.jpeg

14. PSN growth since FY13

Approx. 10X

PK4WMgp.jpeg

15. Free To Play accounts for 25%+ of total PS Store consumer spend

mQVzFhj.jpeg

16. PlayStation expanding beyond console

dkODGtD.jpeg

17. Sony's ability to generate cash

bgjCgSg.jpeg

mSq1JON.jpeg

18. Sony's capital allocation (from FY21 through the FY ending March 31, 2024)

zXvese5.jpeg

19. Current State of The Business

“ Sales of all the titles we released during the quarter, exceded our expectations”

“Software sales increased 38% compared to the same quarter of FY19, which was before the COVID-19 pandemic”

KX8YDXO.jpeg

20. PlayStation Studios is accelerating investment to strengthen its production capabilities

UiJ9jwx.jpeg

Last edited:

reksveks

Playstation network numbers from the previous years report.

47WFhJ4.jpg

Just curious to see what happened in the q1 for the previous year

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Sales remain unchanged from the April forecast due to higher-than-expected sales in the Electronics Products & Solutions (“EP&S”) and Music segments, substantially offset by lower-than-expected sales in the Imaging & Sensing Solutions and Pictures segments.

Operating income is expected to be higher than the April forecast due to expected increases in operating income in the Music, EP&S and Pictures segments, as well as an expected decrease in operating loss in All Other, Corporate and elimination.

Income before income taxes is expected to be 955 billion yen, which is higher than the April forecast. This expected increase is primarily due to the above-mentioned expected increase in operating income.

Net income attributable to Sony Group Corporation’s stockholders is expected to be higher than the April forecast mainly due to the above-mentioned expected increase in income before income taxes

🙏🤞hoping for a 10% upside to the stock prices

GHG

Gold Member
Sales remain unchanged from the April forecast due to higher-than-expected sales in the Electronics Products & Solutions (“EP&S”) and Music segments, substantially offset by lower-than-expected sales in the Imaging & Sensing Solutions and Pictures segments.

Operating income is expected to be higher than the April forecast due to expected increases in operating income in the Music, EP&S and Pictures segments, as well as an expected decrease in operating loss in All Other, Corporate and elimination.

Income before income taxes is expected to be 955 billion yen, which is higher than the April forecast. This expected increase is primarily due to the above-mentioned expected increase in operating income.

Net income attributable to Sony Group Corporation’s stockholders is expected to be higher than the April forecast mainly due to the above-mentioned expected increase in income before income taxes

Down 3% in Japan.

I got out of my leap calls yesterday. Too much fuckery going on with earnings this quarter so far.

Bryank75

Banned

Net Income (after tax) is 213.115 billion yen.

reksveks

Last edited:
Xbox numbers dropped last week, and in the thread some people were concerned about the -4% in content and services, some of them blaming Gamepass for eating sales.

Playstation content and services is at -16%. Either Gamepass is eating Playstation sales, or Gamepass has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

(it's the latter, of course)

reksveks

Xbox numbers dropped last week, and in the thread some people were concerned about the -4% in content and services, some of them blaming Gamepass for eating sales.

Playstation content and services is at -16%. Either Gamepass is eating Playstation sales, or Gamepass has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

(it's the latter, of course)
I didn't want to poke this topic but basically my thoughts as well.

Kerotan

It's a shame they can't produce more ps5's. If they can't up the supply come the holiday quarter there will be war.

Bryank75

Banned
The stock deserves to be down..... the management team at PlayStation (and whoever is giving orders from above) really are not doing a good job on a strategic level.

-16% is a massive decrease in content and services and Jim has been pushing PSNow VERY hard, advertising is everywhere online.

Time for these fools to realize HARDWARE and EXCLUSIVES are the important things.

What did the PC games do for them? If anything lost them 3rd party sales due to gamers deciding they can experience things on PC instead.

Where is all the PC money?????? Idiots.....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Q1 FY2021 Highlights

PS5 is the fastest-selling console in history

"Since launching in November 2020, PS5 global sales have outpaced PS4, SIE’s previous record holder for fastest selling console"

. Units sold

PS5 reached 10M sold-through (as of July 18, 2021)

PS4 reached 10M sold-through (as of August 10, 2014)

2. Units shipped

Q1 FY 2021

NMddtV1.jpeg

LTD

AFG7Bp5.jpeg

3. PlayStation Network

5p1mfKo.jpeg

4. Sony Games

Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation)

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4/PS5)
from Insomniac Games has sold more than 6.5 million copies

MLB The Show 21 (Multi-platform)
from San Diego Studio has sold more than 2 million copies

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
from Insomniac Games has sold more than 1.1 million copies

Returnal (PS5)
from Housemarque, has sold more than 560,000 copies

Sony Music Entertainment Japan's Aniplex (Mobile Gaming)

Fate/Grand Order from Sony’s Aniplex surpassed $4 billion in lifetime player spending according to Sensor Tower (Jan 30, 2020)

FGO fever is still going strong in Japan according to Sensor Tower

CUjo7ey.jpeg

5. SIE's internal development studios grew from 20 to 500 people

“Many of our studios grew naturally. These studios were small before, and gradually grew from about 20 to 500 people”

Gs2R9uB.jpeg

6. Sony Q1 FY2021 Consolidated results

hclNBPi.jpeg

7. G&NS Q1 FY2021 Results

XS3A3vA.jpeg

bYX9rmU.jpeg

8. Sony posts record gaming revenue (GNS + Music Mobile Gaming)

- June 2021 ¥633,770
= (615,810 + 17,960)

-June 2020 ¥632,130 = (606,109 + 25,920)

June 2021

bYX9rmU.jpeg

qDg7o6i.jpeg

June 2020

ABvx75K.jpeg

9. G&NS FY2021 Forecast

Sales and Operating Income remain unchanged from April forecast

4hyECf4.jpeg
1HX5wHN.jpg

Organic growth ;).

Stuart360

The stock deserves to be down..... the management team at PlayStation (and whoever is giving orders from above) really are not doing a good job on a strategic level.

-16% is a massive decrease in content and services and Jim has been pushing PSNow VERY hard, advertising is everywhere online.

Time for these fools to realize HARDWARE and EXCLUSIVES are the important things.

What did the PC games do for them? If anything lost them 3rd party sales due to gamers deciding they can experience things on PC instead.

I highly doubt they will releaee PC revenue as a seperate figure, so you will just have to accept it for now.
If they keep releasing games on PC 2 or 3 years from now, well you will have your answer.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

With the world clawing itself out of the pandemic online spend is bound not to grow at the same level or to drop, it is insane to expect things to stay exactly the same.

Still, they will see that PS4 and PC versions of their games make far less money than they thought so hopefully will rebalance things.

reksveks

Same, but the takes were so hot that I couldn't help myself :messenger_beaming:

32lyVnV.png

gFA3FIP.png
They 'theoretically' could be correct but I don't think they are as well. The definitive nature of their statements was definitely stupid.

Sony thread about their financial and GamePass discussions… yeah checks out :p.
I don't think it's the biggest detour or an irrelevant comparison. I think there is value in talking about the two competitors here. I am not expecting great things from Nintendo.

Back to the thread, any info about whether they have broken even on ps5 BOM yet?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They 'theoretically' could be correct but I don't think they are as well. The definitive nature of their statements was definitely stupid.

I don't think it's the biggest detour or an irrelevant comparison. I think there is value in talking about the two competitors here. I am not expecting great things from Nintendo.
Just remember this for future Xbox threads then :).

Back to the thread, any info about whether they have broken even on ps5 BOM yet?
They announced it would be June, I think it was a Ryan interview. Let’s see if they say otherwise now.

Last edited:

reksveks

Just remember this for future Xbox threads then :).

They announced it would be June, I think it was a Ryan interview. Let’s see if they say otherwise now.
Saw that interview, let's see if they revise or confirm that estimate in today's call. It should obviously help the OI next quarter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Saw that interview, let's see if they revise or confirm that estimate in today's call. It should obviously help the OI next quarter.
Sure, I expect no word on it is still confirmation else we are moving into a word of logic that Phil has to declare daily that Xbox is not going bankrupt else it must mean it is…

reksveks

Sure, I expect no word on it is still confirmation else we are moving into a word of logic that Phil has to declare daily that Xbox is not going bankrupt else it must mean it is…
That's not my argument or logic at all, if they dont say anything I would probably assume nothing or that it's broken even until the next earning report. Might be a bad assumption on my part cause I don't know when these deals are done.

Best to compare it YoY because there are seasonality effects in play.
Yeah, probably. Also covid is probably boost that increase between q4 2019 to q1 2020. 3% YoY increase in ps+ subs.

Top Bottom