• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony portable console

AGRacing

Gold Member
This is an excellent idea, but do you think it's feasible now to produce a portable PS4 at an affordable price? While this has been a dream for many people, some of them have also raised concerns about power consumption, battery life, and heat generation.

This will likely be possible at some point (if not now, then maybe 5-10 years into the future), but for it to have any major impact, it would have to be done within the next 2-3 years, while PS4 games are still being marketed to the mainstream public.
Well...

I just grabbed a Samsung S21... the Snapdragon 888 variant.... which is a made on the 5nm process. I didn't even hear that was ready for mainstream until now...

The PS5 uses the 7nm process. The original PS4 used the 28nn process I believe? Then it was revised down to 14nm...

- So original 28nm > 5nm (ish)
- New architecture that squeezes more speed out of less power PLUS has been designed for backward compatibility is in use on PS5....
- Maybe even pull a switch and go 720p on the screen.... they've been patching games on PS5 ... imagine a patch that DROPS resolution on portable PS4 for a framerate improvement... just because most will be fine with a tiny 720p screen.

Seems feasible to me... but I could be WAY off.

Last edited:
All a Playstation portable would have to do is play all PS4 games, and come with the PS Plus collection that PS5 gets. It could be all digital with a 1080p screen. At under $300, it would sell like hotcakes.
Nothing to add, I'd buy it instantly

Psp is one of my most loved consoles ever, played countless hours with it, and it's also the best retrogames machine I have

And ps1 games on it are marvelous, Capcom survival horrors in particural

Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 2-3 and a good pair of headphones : six star winter night entertainment ❤

Last edited:
Another thing is Sony gives up too easily, if the system doesn’t meet their expectations then they quickly pull of their support.

and who doesn't do that?

its curious you single sony here as sony gave considerable support to PSVita, compare their support with other short lived systems like WiiU, DC, PC Engine, Virtual Boy, WonderSwan, NeoGeo pocket or the original Xbox and sony is certainly not the only and not the worst

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
and who doesn't do that?

its curious you single sony here as sony gave considerable support to PSVita, compare their support with other short lived systems like WiiU, DC, Virtual Boy, WonderSwan, NeoGeo pocket or the original Xbox and sony is certainly not the only and not the worst
In my opinion PSVita had bigger chance to succeed than WiiU if Sony didn't given up too soon.

kyussman

Vita was a great system but I think it stretched them too thin....they couldn't really go all in with it so it ended up feeling a bit half hearted in terms of games.I'm a big fan of playing to your strengths.....for Sony PlayStation that's the home console.

Last edited:
In my opinion PSVita had bigger chance to succeed than WiiU if Sony didn't given up too soon.

it succeeded or at least it sold more consoles during its lifetime(vita also lasted longer than wiiu)

at least sony doesn give up as easily as nintendo like with the virtual boy ;)

Last edited:

Woopah

Yeah, I'm no expert at this stuff. Sony may well have cut itself off from the handheld market indefinitely by opting for x86. I don't know if there's some way with technological advances to get the power draw under control while maintaining compatibility, but I guess even if they were able to do that the Switch and its successors would always perform better as handheld devices due to their architecture being designed for efficiency.

If so, I think it's likely the Japanese AA market is going to transition entirely to Switch. That'll be a real sea change, since even during the Wii/3DS years Nintendo was never able to truly dominate that sector.
Japanese AA market consolidating around Switch as the lead platformis definitely a trend we are seeing happening and I expect it to continue. Japanese AAA market will be split between Switch and PS5 as the lead platform, depending on the project.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
A quest 2 style device could work if it was the same games as PSVR2 but at lower settings, but it would servrely limit the games for the PS5 hardware, which I dont think the fans will like, games would be more limted then games made for PSVR1.

A STREAMING handheld that can be used as a PSVR2 screen is a better idea but I dont think it sell that much.

If sony did a handheld it should be a PSP have about the same power as a steamdeck and be compatible with all PS4 games at PS4 settings, unique games would also be made for and remote play and cloud play would work for PS5 games, but i dont think that is even that a good of an idea because Nintendo have the handheld market on lockdown and sony does not want to wear its first party studios to thin by having to make games for PS5, PSVR2 and a handheld.

Last edited:

ksdixon

The main problem with the Vita is that they tried to make it a portable PS3/4 rather than playing to the handheld’s strengths. That and the “big budget” titles like Uncharted turned out to be a poor imitation. 3DS gives you a different experience than the console, which I believe is what gamer’s want for the most part.

That said, direct ports of console games have done well on 3DS...like Xenoblade.
Its issues were expensive proprietory memory, a poor mobile company choice, not having YouTube and/or Netflix support in Europe, game library, overuse of back touchpad and front touchpad gimmicks, and not having all the needed buttons for real remote play.

If it have been more like a portable version of the home console, I think most would have been a lot happier.

ksdixon

A quest 2 style device could work if it was the same games as PSVR2 but at lower settings, but it would servrely limit the games for the PS5 hardware, which I dont think the fans will like, games would be more limted then games made for PSVR1.

A STREAMING handheld that can be used as a PSVR2 screen is a better idea but I dont think it sell that much.

If sony did a handheld it should be a PSP have about the same power as a steamdeck and be compatible with all PS4 games at PS4 settings, unique games would also be made for and remote play and cloud play would work for PS5 games, but i dont think that is even that a good of an idea because Nintendo have the handheld market on lockdown and sony does not want to wear its first party studios to thin by having to make games for PS5, PSVR2 and a handheld.
Sony are already pursuing cross-gen, seemingly not wanting to leave PS4 owners behind. A portable PS4 would sell like gangbusters.

GymWolf

Leave portables to nintendo and just focus on your home console.

They already tried 2 times, no need to try again.

Banjo64

cumsessed
People saying that the PSP and Vita got clapped by Nintendo, the last confirmed PSVR sales numbers was 5m units sold after 3 years on the market. That’s what, a third of the Vita’s numbers?

Sony should definitely offer a supplementary handheld, even if it was just for streaming PS5 games and playing PS4 games/indies. If it sold 15m units but was profitable for Sony, then who cares what Nintendo would sell.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
All a Playstation portable would have to do is play all PS4 games, and come with the PS Plus collection that PS5 gets. It could be all digital with a 1080p screen. At under $300, it would sell like hotcakes.

If there was a PS portable console that allowed me to purchase and download games from all PS gens, then I'd purchase that console in a heartbeat.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The main problem with the Vita is that they tried to make it a portable PS3/4 rather than playing to the handheld’s strengths. That and the “big budget” titles like Uncharted turned out to be a poor imitation. 3DS gives you a different experience than the console, which I believe is what gamer’s want for the most part.

That said, direct ports of console games have done well on 3DS...like Xenoblade.
Explain Switch and how Switch Lite sells at all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Switch has got quality games.
It has console ports, it has an overlap with home console software.

If they could get PS4+ Performance with some features PS4 did not have (modern RDNA2 design, 8 Ryzen cores at similar frequency, more RAM, etc…) it could work as a canvas for developers.

yurinka

People saying that the PSP and Vita got clapped by Nintendo, the last confirmed PSVR sales numbers was 5m units sold after 3 years on the market. That’s what, a third of the Vita’s numbers?

Sony should definitely offer a supplementary handheld, even if it was just for streaming PS5 games and playing PS4 games/indies. If it sold 15m units but was profitable for Sony, then who cares what Nintendo would sell.
There is a big difference: portables are/were a huge established market, with PSP performing pretty well selling over 80 million copies as Sony's first step, but the next gen the portble market sales decreased a lot. Nintendo decreased from 154M to 76M and Sony from ~80M to around ~15M as the mobile market grew and grew way more than that.

The budget of big Vita games was almost the same of the ones of a home console, which wasn't sustainable with that userbase. For the players its price was too high, particularly the one of its propietary cards which were needed due to default internal storage. Sony decided to focus on consoles and leave the portable market to Nintendo, who now performed great with Switch. They now have the monopoly and since their home console and portable are the same they don't need to make dedicated games for the portable and don't have their teams and catalog split into two machines which did help them to grow a huge userbase.

The other side is PSVR, basically a pioneer experiment where they make the first steps in a technology that may be (part of) the future. It isn't a separated platform, but an accesory instead. Meaning that the development is the same than in home console but with the obvious changes related to VR. It's a small niche for tech savvy early adopters who want to see the first rocky steps of something cool that may end being important, and that started with a market that didn't exist and was so expensive, so they didn't expect big sales. In fact, it sold better than Sony expected, they are happy with it and made PSVR2. Now it should be easier for them to make certain VR games playable both in the tv with a dual sense or in VR with Sense controllers, so being less limited in terms of game sales ro recoup their investent in the development of these games, which also means PSVR2 games will not only be small games and experiences, some of them may also go AAAish.

They plan to bring some of their IPs to mobile and they are also bringing Remote Play and PS Now to mobile. And looking at patents seems they'll also make a joycon like splittable DS controller to attach it to tablets and phones. Plus their PC ports will be playable on Steam Deck and similar PC handhelds. I know it isn't the same than to release another portable, but unlike making another portable that approach will be sustainable and profitable to them, in addition to keep people busy who could be doing games for their home console.

To make games require a lot of time and resources, and they have to focus on making games for PS consoles. The last thing we need is Sony releasing less games for PS5 because they are focusing on make dedicated games for a portable. Unless they find a better way to play current gen games on a portable device, the current focus will be the one to follow.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Psp was one of the best handhelds ever. Idk why people are saying the above.
Maybe, but it was not enough successful so why wasting money on a third attempt?!

Also, and i'm being selfish here, i don't want any manpower or money from any studios wasted on mobile small versions of major games like we had with killzone, uncharted and resistance because people need to play something while on the toilette or tram, put all the fucking money and manpower in the home console version of these games or gtfo.

But that's just me not liking portable consoles.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It has console ports, it has an overlap with home console software.

If they could get PS4+ Performance with some features PS4 did not have (modern RDNA2 design, 8 Ryzen cores at similar frequency, more RAM, etc…) it could work as a canvas for developers.

Indeed. It has high quality titles. And that it is a hybrid. People can just buy a Switch and done.

Whereas on Playstation, people already have a PS3 or a PS4. Spending on a Playstation portable device is additional spending. No worth it.

Beechos

So far stuff mentioned in this thread describes the steam deck just without the sony asthetics. With sony porting more games to pc i no long have a need for a new psp. I am also confident the steam deck will be better supported and have more games. Another plus is no worries about propietory sony storage.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
The thing is that the Switch being a hybrid console means that they only have to make one game and people can play it in portable or tv mode. If Sony makes a handheld system, their resources are split between that and ps4/ps5.

John Wick

It just wouldn't work. Nintendo found it hard when they had to make console games and handheld games at the same time. You need dedicated studios for portable games. Do Sony have enough devs to cover both? Unlikely.

Deerock71

I think the main problem with the Vita was it's shady need to purchase proprietary memory cards in order to make it work.

SeraphJan

It could work depend on whether they are willing to design games specifically for handheld.

Imo handheld should never only focus on power but convenience. Better battery life, Handheld specific extra features are also important

Last edited:

BreakOut

I think Sony might do better in Japan if they start pushing away Japanese developers and started working on genres that are popular over there. My own selfish reasons of course, because I feel like JRPG games hardly exist here on PlayStation now. They will never outdo Nintendo over there, the time for that is over.

JaksGhost

I think the main problem with the Vita was it's shady need to purchase proprietary memory cards in order to make it work.
This was legit the main reason why I never purchased one after seeing the prices of the cards in comparison to the microSDs I got for my PSP. I even held out hope and claimed all of the Cross-Buy Vita titles and PS+ titles but never could bring myself to purchase one because the prices never went down. I'm still disappointed I never got to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss despite the ratings. I really wanted to play a portable version of Uncharted after Among Thieves blew my mind and funny enough it was one of the first PS+ titles given away when they launched it on Vita.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
The problem is there is no way Sony can compete with Nintendo when comes to portable market, we saw that with PSVita against 3DS and even PSP against DS.
Now they would be competing against Nintendo’s unified first party games. 2nd rate PS games vs Mario Kart 8, BotW, Smash Ultimate, Pokémon and Animal Crossing.

Good luck to anyone challenging that in the mobile space

Amin_Parker

Now they would be competing against Nintendo’s unified first party games. 2nd rate PS games vs Mario Kart 8, BotW, Smash Ultimate, Pokémon and Animal Crossing.

Good luck to anyone challenging that in the mobile space
It will also be hard because they will have to go head-to-head with Microsoft in the Home console market and we know Microsoft is truly putting in their ultimate strength behind the Xbox brand this generation. They are not playing when it comes to Game Pass. And Nintendo knows that they have a whole lot to prove this time with the Switch. So Nintendo is putting all of their money and resources behind this system. Essentially Sony will be splitting themselves into two, splitting their resources with a Home console and a handheld. They will be a House Divided and they cannot successfully fight in two sectors of the video game Market at the same time ( Home console and handheld Market). Not with Nintendo & Microsoft 100% devoted to the cause of winning at any means necessary. This is not the 7th generation anymore where it was financially feasible to fully support a Home console and a handheld. Now these things are so expensive and this company have to worry about supporting their streaming services as well as their VR platform as well as PC ports and mobile ports of games things is becoming extremely expensive so for people to want them to release a handheld would be basically them diminishing their Home console platform and I'm pretty sure Microsoft would love to see that happen.

Yup.

It feels like Sony really has "turned it's back" on the Japanese market...

I mean, they even lost a Disgaea port for PS5, lol. Is there a single Japanese PS5 game in developement right now past FFXVI, Agatha and that Capcom game?

Can't name many huh? Good job Sony.....

Thankfully, I bought a SerX because once MS buys (merges, I know) SEGA they wi control Atlus as well..

NIS/Idea Factory/Falcom? Anyone? PS5? 4k, next gen?
Source on them losing the disgaea port?

Cornbread78

Source on them losing the disgaea port?
Nice bump? A year timed exclusive, now, you got me...

jHzbAB7.gif

Top Bottom