• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 5 price increase has not yet impacted consumer demand

jm89

Increase in USA and see how this fair.
Even though there isn't a price increase in the usa, most consoles are being sold with stuff bundled.

People in the USA aren't always paying cheaper prices, can't see a price increase impacting sales. Maybe sony playing it safe.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
Sony is far from that strong. Sony is actually making changes depending on what the competition is doing.

I know your assuming Microsoft is too weak to compete but that really isn't the case in this industry. They have been improving their situation regardless of what Sony does. There's plenty of evidence that Sony isn't dominating the market like a monopoly would.

If you can't accept that the market has healthy competition that's on you I'm afraid.
I accept the market as it is, Sony dominates their competition and has control over the industry. That's not a good or bad thing imo, it just is.

As a result of their dominance they have the ability dictate terms and the direction of the industry. Not sure how that is an argument worth having, it's obvious to anyone following along. Sorry that you seem to find an issue with stating the obvious. I'm not sure why you keep bringing up monopoly, you're arguing with yourself lol

Fake

Even though there isn't a price increase in the usa, most consoles are being sold with stuff bundled.

People in the USA aren't always paying cheaper prices, can't see a price increase impacting sales. Maybe sony playing it safe.

They don't increase their prices in USA because Xbox market is strong there.

Last edited:
I accept the market as it is, Sony dominates their competition and has control over the industry. That's not a good or bad thing imo, it just is.

As a result of their dominance they have the ability dictate terms and the direction of the industry. Not sure how that is an argument worth having, it's obvious to anyone following along. Sorry that you seem to find an issue with stating the obvious. I'm not sure why you keep bringing up monopoly, you're arguing with yourself lol

Not really you make it seem like Sony is a monopoly. That's usually how those markets work.

I know that Sony is the market leader but they don't have power to control the direction of the industry. That's usually something that's something that monopolys are capable of.

Microsoft has plenty of influence as well especially with services like gamepass. Sony has been making changes to adapt to that. It's how a competitive industry works.

Sony doesn't own the industry and neither does Microsoft. That's the truth.

Ezekiel_

Banned
jim ryan has the easiest job
fuck over the consoomers and get away with it because Sony has an unpaid army of internet warriors
Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

ANIMAL1975

"This cost hike hasn't deterred gamers, though, and Sony indicates that consumers are still very eager to buy PS5 hardware. In fact, Sony highlighted that the PS5 sold 100,000 units in just 17.5 hours in the US, but this region wasn't affected by the price hike."

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

100.000 Units in 17.5 hours?

200w.gif

After seeing people almost gleefully defending the price increase I realized corporate mindshare is a new form of tribalism. Nothing will deter fans from their tribe on either sides.

Blame people who continue to buy it.

People are voting with their wallets. And their wallets says buy.

I did my part! I bought two ps5 to help Sony on this difficult times.

yurinka

They have way more demand than the offer they can supply.

So a small price increase maybe decreased a small portion of the demand, but the demand is still way higher than the offer they can supply.

So yes, I don't see the price increase affecting their demand.

Also, the price increase wasn't because Sony was greedy or something, it's due to big increase of overall things that affect everybody dollar value going up (well, this one affect non-US companies), components pricing or shipping costs. Meaning many other tech products saw or will see soon similar or even higher price increases, creating a context where people won't see the PS5 price increase something rare.

Last edited:

vivftp

If or when a PS5 Pro does come, my predictions are:

- It'll launch holiday 2024, which puts it 4 years after the PS5 launch whereas the PS4 Pro launched 3 years after the PS4 did.
- The PS5 will have flooded the market by that point in time and component shortages will be a distant memory
- The new baseline PS5 rumored for next year will be sold at $399, matching the price of the original digital PS5
- The PS5 Pro would be sold at $499, matching the original price of the disc PS5. Both this and the above revision model won't include disc drives and will accept the optional disc drives they'll start selling next year.

Mithos

Playstation 5 is around us$690 here (7500SEK) atm.
The console was to expensive at release even and more so now.

Chronicle

i still don't understand why people are desperate for a PS5. anyway here the price rise is an extra £30. if you have £450 to spend on a gaming console in the current financial climate then what's an extra £30? i don't think sony should've raised prices and i'm by no means defending them but a £30 hike is not going to stop people who seem to be absolutely choking to get hold of a PS5.

i'm not buying a PS5 until we get a PS5 Slim, there are games that interest me, and while i'd like a price drop it doesn't seem like that's happening any time soon. i can afford to pay £480 for a PS5 but i'd get better use of my money by setting it on fire than buying a PS5 right now. i want games to play and a console that isn't a fucking eye sore to look at.

edit: and before i get branded an xbox fanboy. i am also waiting for a slim Series X, more games, and a price drop.
You're 'waiting'. You can't afford it. Just say that.

Top Bottom