• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Plans to Discontinue Credit Card, PayPal Payment Options on PS3 and Vita

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sony announced today that as of October 27th, users will no longer be able to purchase games or any sort of in-game content using a PayPal account or credit and debit cards. This isn't to say that users can no longer purchase games on those platforms, but they will instead have to redeem PlayStation Store gift cards in order to purchase content on the PS3 and PS Vita's digital storefronts.

In addition to PS Store gift cards, users can also add funds to their digital wallet online or on PS4 or PS5 using their credit card, debit card, or PayPal account. Sony has yet to extrapolate on why these changes are being made, but what can be said for certain right now is that following October 27th, purchasing content via the in-game PS3 and PS Vita stores will be significantly less efficient.

Ezekiel_

Banned
This is the full email sent to PS3 and Vita users :

Hi <PSN_ID>

As you’ve recently enjoyed playing on PlayStation®3 or PlayStation®Vita, we want to let you know about some changes to the way you buy digital PS3™ and PS Vita content.

These changes have been introduced to enhance online payment security for all PS3 and PS Vita owners.

What’s changed?
Starting October 27th, 2021, you can no longer use a credit or debit card, or a payment method such as PayPal, to buy digital content or add funds to your wallet when visiting PlayStation™Store on your PS3 or PS Vita.

How do you purchase digital content now?
Should you wish to buy digital content for your PS3 or PS Vita, you must first add sufficient funds to your wallet. You can add funds by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card via your PS3 or PS Vita, or by using a credit or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method using a desktop or mobile device, or a PS4 or a PS5 console.

To add funds to your wallet using a credit card or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method:

1) Access PS Store via your desktop computer, mobile device, PS4 or PS5 console.
2) Use a credit or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method to add the minimum amount required to your wallet to cover the cost of the content you want to buy. You can also add funds to your wallet by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card.

Is there any other way to buy digital PS3 or PS Vita content?
No, you can only buy digital PS3 and PS Vita content by adding funds to your wallet as described above, then accessing PS Store directly from your PS3 or PS Vita.

Where can you find out more?
For more information about how to add funds to your wallet, please visit https://www.playstation.com/support/store/ps-store-top-up-wallet/

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
since they can be bough at discount compared to their value.
When and where? Except the occasional Nintendo sale, I've never seen these cards go on sale.

SEGA_2012

Leave my PS Triple alone Sony !

5nmd4zron7c61.jpg

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is a nothing burger story, for the 12 people still actively buying on the ps3 or vita store, you can still use PayPal to buy ps store credits. Or buy the cards in a store. Who cares.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Totally OK with this. They're probably concerned with being hacked and want to clear out saved CC info.

You can buy digital giftcards on Amazon. Don't see any issue with this change.

CamHostage

I got this email too… most likely to get rid of potential security risks but allowing the store to stay open at the same time. It’s understandable and I don’t have an issue with this.
Probably more they don't want the PS3 and Vita infrastructure touching any payment systems anymore.

Yeah, as much as I hate any of this happening to these storefronts, there's probably more of a logical or financial reason than the goofy conclusion that Sony hates old games. (I still don't understand clearly why PS Store isn't just one big thing where you just go get stuff you want off the digital shelves, why each new platform rebuilds the backend, but I could also see if they took an opportunity with each new system to adjust the publishing and legal terms a bit if there were any drawbacks to the previous plan.)

Wasn't PSN originally a credits-based system back in the PS3/PSP days? I remember having to put down increments of like $20 when originally buying games to fill the wallet, then new game purchases would be drawn out of the wallet when I buy them. So it might make sense that this reverts to the old terms (as well as skirts some of the CC stipulations and fees, which Sony may have a more beneficial arrangement on with its more modern storefront systems that PS4/PS5 use)?

Last edited:

skit_data

I just got a mail saying ”You’ve played on a PS3 system recently, bla bla bla” it doesn’t seem to hard to figure out. Just add money to your wallet via PS4/PS5/Browser and you can start spendin (if you really feel the need to).

engstra

You can still buy the games using card payment, you just have to do one extra step. For the 5 people who still want to purchase something off the store it's no big deal.

Areba21

Neo Member
This is the full email sent to PS3 and Vita users :

Hi <PSN_ID>

As you’ve recently enjoyed playing on PlayStation®3 or PlayStation®Vita, we want to let you know about some changes to the way you buy digital PS3™ and PS Vita content.

These changes have been introduced to enhance online payment security for all PS3 and PS Vita owners.

What’s changed?
Starting October 27th, 2021, you can no longer use a credit or debit card, or a payment method such as PayPal, to buy digital content or add funds to your wallet when visiting PlayStation™Store on your PS3 or PS Vita.

How do you purchase digital content now?
Should you wish to buy digital content for your PS3 or PS Vita, you must first add sufficient funds to your wallet. You can add funds by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card via your PS3 or PS Vita, or by using a credit or debit card, PayPal Recurring Payments or other available payment method using a desktop or mobile device, or a PS4 or a PS5 console.

To add funds to your wallet using a credit card or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method:

1) Access PS Store via your desktop computer, mobile device, PS4 or PS5 console.
2) Use a credit or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method to add the minimum amount required to your wallet to cover the cost of the content you want to buy. You can also add funds to your wallet by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card.

Is there any other way to buy digital PS3 or PS Vita content?
No, you can only buy digital PS3 and PS Vita content by adding funds to your wallet as described above, then accessing PS Store directly from your PS3 or PS Vita.

Where can you find out more?
For more information about how to add funds to your wallet, please visit https://www.playstation.com/support/store/ps-store-top-up-wallet/
You can still buy games in the store; however, you can no longer use your credit card or PayPal to purchase games on the system. You must obtain a gift card or add funds to your wallet on the Sony website before purchasing on the PS3 or Vita.

Top Bottom