• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents System for Facilitating Secret Communication Between Players

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Another day and another "sony patent"

The secret player communication patent from Sony has systems that may ultimately train artificial intelligence to recognize different gestures from one player to predict the possible actions of a second player. As multiplayer gaming has evolved, features like rebooting have replaced respawning in games such as Fortnite and Apex Legends, while the pinging system introduced with the latter revolutionized how teammates communicate non-verbally. Potentially getting ready to take the next step in this method of players working together in games, Sony's new patent could be the latest multiplayer advancement.

According to the filed Sony patent, the systems will primarily gather data on gestures made between two groups of players and the actions the other players take in response to this using an image camera. Using this model, the Sony systems could then generate a recommendation to one group of players without the other group having to enter an input. This inference of communication versus a verbal link between players can go even further based on this patent to generate even more responses based on the movements and actions of the two groups of players.

Sony suggests that the trained communication AI will eventually be able to make predictions on what players will do in a game after observing and mirroring a large sample group. The AI will use its data to calculate the probability of player actions with a processor and memory device that combine to comb through all the possible actions. Because this Sony patent was among others that were only recently filed, it's currently unclear when PlayStation multiplayer fans will be able to experience the secret communication tool that's being worked on.

sony-patent.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Secret communication .. so like private messages ?

these patents are getting out of hand now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

mdkirby

ok I’ve read that twice and I still don’t get what it’s trying to achieve. Not that I really play and multiplayer games.

It’s also weird that the patent image is about 3 players sat on a couch, ie same screen team multiplayer, which is extreeemely rare these days, and I’m struggling to think of any current gen games that have a team of multiplayer local multiplayer players on one screen playing against or with another team of local players.

nocsi

They already sorta have this implemented. Sony just pushed out an update to my Bravia cam that lets me control my tv with hand gestures and it can distinguish different peoples hands

Top Bottom