• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patents robotic gaming companion

iconmaster

Banned
Finally, a girlfriend who'll put up with your gaming.

The patent is for a "joint viewing player" that watches you game and reacts appropriately to your emotions as you play.

The inventor has focused on possibility of utilizing a robot as a joint viewing player who experiences sympathy with a user. For example, it is expected that the user's affinity with the robot is increased and motivation for playing a game is enhanced by the robot viewing the game play next to the user and being pleased or sad together with the user. Further, regarding not only the game but also a movie, a television program, or the like, it is expected that the user may enjoy content mere by viewing the content with the robot as compared to the case of viewing it alone.

This object is a human-type robot, and includes a speaker for outputting audio, a microphone for inputting audio of the outside world, and a drive mechanism that includes a motor for moving each joint or a link for connecting the motors, etc. The robot preferably has an interactive function to talk with the user, and more preferably has an autonomous movement function.

aAkiZ47.png

Sn40wUO.png

Patent link

Murr

Would be cool if you could allow other people to control the little robot. For example you could play with a friend via internet and your friend would take control of your little robot and you would take control of his. Couch Gaming through the intertubes so to say.
A robot that reacts to your emotions and propably sends everything you do and say to sony headquarters for analysis, isn't quite as interesting to me though.

Impotaku

As someone who owns one of sonys past gen robots whatever it turns out to be its gonna be expensive as fuck, the aibo ers7 was bad enough at £1400.

Impotaku

Nobdy even knows what "this" will turn out to be it could be anything. Might be some high end robot niche gadget or some form of kids toy like teddy ruxpin that kids can have as a gaming buddy. Or something totally different, i don't mind quirky stuff been released. Nobody is forced to buy anything.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck me hahaha and i thought fapping to hentai was the lowest of the low.

Then sony invents something even more pathetic 🤣

-Arcadia-

Banned
But seriously, this is cool. Companies should always be thinking out of the box. For every hundred weird ideas, there’s the genuine next big thing.

I don’t know if this will make it to market, and I suspect not, but the thinking behind it is good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS5 MP Interactions.

Resistance sequel. Nope.

Killzone sequel. Nope.

Socom sequel. Nope.

MAG sequel. Nope.

Halo killer Haze sequel. Nope.

PS Fighting AS sequel. Nope.

Any Evolution Motorstorm or Driveclub sequel. Nope.

Inanimate robot AI shell sitting on the sofa beside you as you play God of War........ "Good job SniperSuxorXXX! You control Kratos great!"

Lanrutcon

It had better be a drone with a net to catch all the controllers I throw around.

Yeah, I'd buy that. Bundle it with Sekiro 2.

Top Bottom