• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patents Edge Compute Proxy for PlayStation Now and 5G

fallingdove

Okay and who cares? I mean, how does this make cloud gaming popular on any level?

Why are Sony spending so much on a method of gaming that is widely unpopular?

Waste of money, waste of time, waste of effort.

As a fan, all I see is a company pushing for something that gamers do not want, that PlayStation gamers do not want. Only corporate interests in mind here.

If they also implement this within PS Remote Play, it would be awesome. I dislike PSNow and GamePass at nearly every level, but being able to access my PS5 from my PC when my wife boots my off of the TV for The Great British Bake Off is something I definitely welcome.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I like PSNow, but I only sub when they drop big 1st-party games. It would be nice to have another pass at some of those, but it's understandable since they're probably holding off to get people to buy them at $50-60 from EGS.

ANIMAL1975

So now we believe in the power of the cloud?
Nice try manaBite _ if you were just trying to be funny being a clown it's not a career option for you. If you were trying to bite Sony croud with the 'Ms power of the cloud' marketing bull from last Gen, that was an even bigger failure: cloud computing (your power of the cloud shenanigans) has nothing to do with cloud game streaming, and cloud game streaming is nothing new for us since Sony been doing it since 2014... you know _ that sing called PSNow

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nice try manaBite _ if you were just trying to be funny being a clown it's not a career option for you. If you were trying to bite Sony croud with the 'Ms power of the cloud' marketing bull from last Gen, that was an even bigger failure: cloud computing (your power of the cloud shenanigans) has nothing to do with cloud game streaming, and cloud game streaming is nothing new for us since Sony been doing it since 2014... you know _ that sing called PSNow

I'm well aware of what PS Now is, I use it:
S7CvzPb.png

I was pointing out the hypocrisy of some people who've spent the last 6+ months shitting on game streaming of any type but now seem to be in love with the idea for some reason. Sorry if that went over your head.

ANIMAL1975

S7CvzPb.png

I was pointing out the hypocrisy of some people who've spent the last 6+ months shitting on game streaming of any type but now seem to be in love with the idea for some reason. Sorry if that went over your head.

You don't make sense! If Sony has had a game streaming service for more than seven! years now _ why would ps fans be shiting in streaming (or Xcloud in particular like you're trying to imply) for the last 6 months, and only now change their stance on the matter because of this thread? _ they were living under a rock and didn't know about PSNow?!
Yeah something went over someones head and it wasn't mine lol.

Last edited:

jakinov

Didn't Sony and some other companies start their own cloud computing environment a few weeks ago?
Lots of companies have their own clouds. Having a cloud is in simple teams having a bunch of hardware and software setup and supported in a way that follows cloud principles. Azure, AWS and others just do the heavy lifting for you.

So like a CDN but for Video Packets? My knowledge of the back-end of the internet isn't that great.
It's very similar. CDN are often used as a way to deliver static content or delivery some cached dynamic content close to the user very fast. Whereas in this case it's not so much about using the proxy to deliver your content as it is to a place that keeps track of what it tried to send in the case that some thing was lost.

Lets say you want to order greeting cards from Amazon. A traditionally CDN use case would be like Amazon putting greeting card warehouses beside every post office.

In this case, it's more like, Amazon can't (maybe too expensive) put their card warehouses beside the post office, and they know that these greeting cards get lost all the time so they have these machines that keep magically (in real life it's magical in compute world it's just copying) copies of the greeting cards beside the post office instead. So that when they send a post card, the machines remember the greeting cards it tried to mail and can just send the cards it remembers instead of getting the gift card all the way from the source.

Edge means that it will be happening on location or near the location & not in the cloud . Maybe using your PC or PS5/PS4 to serve PS NOW to your Phones & Tablets
It's not necessarily in the cloud but could be in the cloud still.

Okay and who cares? I mean, how does this make cloud gaming popular on any level?

As a fan, all I see is a company pushing for something that gamers do not want, that PlayStation gamers do not want. Only corporate interests in mind here.
Sony has a dedicated team always working on it. This article doesn't really say much about how money/effort is really being put on PS Now just that they are working on it.

They spend money on it because they think that it can be popular. VR for example isn't that popular right now, it's more popular than cloud gaming probably but they invest in it because they think they can be the market leader at it and there's potential to make money.

Bryank75

Banned
Lots of companies have their own clouds. Having a cloud is in simple teams having a bunch of hardware and software setup and supported in a way that follows cloud principles. Azure, AWS and others just do the heavy lifting for you.

It's very similar. CDN are often used as a way to deliver static content or delivery some cached dynamic content close to the user very fast. Whereas in this case it's not so much about using the proxy to deliver your content as it is to a place that keeps track of what it tried to send in the case that some thing was lost.

Lets say you want to order greeting cards from Amazon. A traditionally CDN use case would be like Amazon putting greeting card warehouses beside every post office.

In this case, it's more like, Amazon can't (maybe too expensive) put their card warehouses beside the post office, and they know that these greeting cards get lost all the time so they have these machines that keep magically (in real life it's magical in compute world it's just copying) copies of the greeting cards beside the post office instead. So that when they send a post card, the machines remember the greeting cards it tried to mail and can just send the cards it remembers instead of getting the gift card all the way from the source.

It's not necessarily in the cloud but could be in the cloud still.

Sony has a dedicated team always working on it. This article doesn't really say much about how money/effort is really being put on PS Now just that they are working on it.

They spend money on it because they think that it can be popular. VR for example isn't that popular right now, it's more popular than cloud gaming probably but they invest in it because they think they can be the market leader at it and there's potential to make money.

I understand they want to be ready for any change or be leading it if possible.

I just think it shouldn't be focused on too much, I get this impression that executives at PlayStation are very focused on Xbox and what Xbox are doing with gamepass. I see advertising all the time now on youtube and facebook....
While the 1st party studios have not been expanded, what PS fans want is hardware and great exclusives and it's that simple.

I really feel that PlayStation has become very detached from the customers and fans in many ways. If they continue doing what they want without any focus on what their customers desire...it will all end in disaster eventually.
Things like setting up the mobile gaming studio, while scaling back Japan studio.... making a contract with microsoft for azure and paying for loads of PSNow advertising, bringing games to PC are very antagonizing to core fans..... they've really pissed me off lately, personally.

If I was an investor, I would be asking them 'what the hell are you thinking?'
There is no way you could in good conscience invest in this unfocused mess of a strategy.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
C

Thats certainly one take on it. It’s a collaboration between the two using Microsoft azure as the basis for the new technologies. Sure Sony could have gone elsewhere but they went with Microsoft. Therefore I’d fully expect Microsoft to benefit from this too.

Of course.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Where did you read that they moved to Azure? Link please.

I don't think PlayStation moved to Azure myself, Sony and Microsoft deal is about a collaboration in cloud services, but doesn't mean PS went to Azure. People are assuming that and didn't see anything implying that officially.

yurinka

While the 1st party studios have not been expanded, what PS fans want is hardware and great exclusives and it's that simple.

I really feel that PlayStation has become very detached from the customers and fans in many ways. If they continue doing what they want without any focus on what their customers desire...it will all end in disaster eventually.
Bullshit.

They announced that this year will increase in over $183M their internal 1st party game development headcount (which approx. means to double it) in a single year, recently spent over $300M on 2nd party deals in 9 months, that have over 25 1st party games in development and that PS5 will have more exclusives than their previous consoles.

They sell more consoles, more games, more subscriptions and make more money than anybody else did in gaming history and have been getting a ton of GOTY awards and nominations this decade. Wow! Much detached from customers. So doomed.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bullshit.

They announced that this year will increase in over $183M their internal 1st party game development headcount (which approx. means to double it) in a single year, recently spent over $300M on 2nd party deals in 9 months, that have over 25 1st party games in development and that PS5 will have more exclusives than their previous consoles.

They sell more consoles, more games, more subscriptions and make more money than anybody else did in gaming history and have been getting a ton of GOTY awards and nominations this decade. Wow! Much detached from customers. So doomed.

In total it's $4B spent internally on 1st party, I think that's really big.

yurinka

In total it's $4B spent internally on 1st party, I think that's really big.
Maybe, but to increase that much on salaries on a single year means basically to double their amount of workers developing 1st party games. If that isn't to expand their studios I don't know what else they can do to make the haters happy.

Bryank75

Banned
Bullshit.

Yeah but they also started a mobile gaming studio and a film incubation division....

How much was spent on actual game making is questionable and there have been no studios or IP's

LMJ

S7CvzPb.png

God Damn you ManaByte ManaByte will your blatant PS hate never end

You...you

jim gaffigan comedian GIF by TV Land

Again...criticism isn't hate lol

yurinka

Yeah but they also started a mobile gaming studio and a film incubation division....

How much was spent on actual game making is questionable and there have been no studios or IP's
Sure, PS4 has no games and Sony is doomed xDDD

Btw, their mobile gaming studio is under other division and budget: Sony Music

Not sure if you are aware, but Sony has been offering game streaming since 2014. PS Now has a way bigger catalog than xCloud, works in consoles, its PC version isn't a beta and their streaming service has better input lag and image quality than xCould, and Sony has more subscribers and generates more revenue from its game subscriptions than MS (that includes PS Plus and Gold, we don't have all the split numbers to compare). And we don't know how many people has Xbox Game Pass Ultimate/xCloud, but it's possible that right now PS Now may have more users than xCloud.

On top of that, both Sony and Nintendo dominate MS regarding making money from their gaming division, having more users, selling consoles or selling games. Which are the present and also will be the future.

MS is the 3rd in the race and will continue being it for at least several years.
Well... You resisted going full blown fanboy for a few posts anyway. I'll give you credit for that. 👏

Long story short: Sony doesn't need Azure, can use any other cloud system, Microsoft MUST use Sony hardware to compete with other cloud servers.
🤣 I can only imagine bad it must bother you that Sony is dependent upon MS for most of it's cloud services. It must be severe if you're resorting to posting this drivel.

No, they made a new mobile gaming studio as part of PlayStation to make mobile versions of their IP's.
You should give a dissertation on your experiences being attacked by rabid fanboys on both sides of the console aisle.

You were up to your neck in PS4 fandom last gen. While you haven't switched sides by any stretch, you do seem concerned about the direction Sony is taking Playstation as of late. Voicing your concerns, you're now seeing the blatant Sony fanboy denial that everyone else has observed for years.

While I don't envy your position, I give you serious props for being honest about your concerns. At least I know going forward that any opinion you state, will at least be YOUR opinion vs honoring the console warrior code.

I want it, especially if it will run very well, and clearly others do to.
I would love a future where I can travel anywhere I want and not have to drag a bunch of hardware around in order to get some game time.
The wife wants to drag me out to some places on the weekend? No problem, I'll have my 5g mobile and a controller and get some progress done towards the next platinum trophy as she looks at sculptures in the museum ;)

Top Bottom