• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patent update points to a PS5 Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok....again that has nothing to do with their R&D, its like questioning them designing PS6 as if that team's job is to make PS5's in a factory or something lol

They are correct to continue as normal as I don't think they can do much the whole chip shortage thing, that has nothing to do with the R&D team, that isn't their job to even sort any of that shit out, it would be like getting mad that you hear Insomniac is working on Spiderman 2 and be like "wasting resources to make Spiderman 2, when they should be out harvesting PS5's" lol

Its completely irrelevant to those teams man, nothing to do with them.
MatrixReloaded101 MatrixReloaded101 whhhhhat? "Why not the next Playstation instead of a pro?"

images

This thread has made me laugh so hard, my stomach hurts. I think its even more odd that some are asking questions to things, answered last gen.

So let me help everyone out here.... we got PS4, PS4 Pro, PS4 SLIM (yes they can do that all at once) and get this....PS5 was also being made.

Its....its almost as if they have more then 1 thing going on.... why even ask such a weird thing? Why not just apply exactly what happened last gen? That is the best answer I feel anyone can give as it makes more sense then believing they can't do both, when they just did both last time.

If you ever want to know what a company might do, pay attention to what they've done in the past. Its usually the best way to guess what might happen and I see that they'll just likely do PS5 Pro and have another team working on PS6 and other designs and such. None of that would be shocking even in the slightest as we've gotten new skus and redesigns every generation by PlayStation, I see nothing different hear to sugguest its now become an either or.
Your not making a lot of sense. The reason Sony and MS released the pro models last gen was because the base consoles were very under powered at the time of their release. That isn't the case with these consoles so why would they repeat the same thing?

Business decisions can change based on the market. It is foolish to think Sony would just blindly follow what they did last gen without considering the current situation with chip and console shortages.

Have you slept under a rock this last year?
We're already back down to 1440p for demanding games and actual "next gen" stuff like the matrix demo can't even hold 30 fps at an internal 1080p.
There'd be room for 2 pro updates within the gap to the 3090 alone, and even that one will not be a guaranteed 4k60 once the new gen finally gets going.
The optimization of a lot of games released so far for both consoles has been all over the place. I think things will get more consistent as devs start to get a better handle on how to develop for next gen consoles. Especially when they stop focusing resources on the PS4/Xbox one games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Your not making a lot of sense. The reason Sony and MS released the pro models last gen was because the base consoles were very under powered at the time of their release.

Same applies here.

They didn't just make systems that will never have fucking sequels or something lol They don't have some forever system, all systems by default will be dated as time goes on. So being underpowered "at the time" is the same thing that will occur with the PS5 and Series X.

As in...clearly 8K isn't a normal thing on PS5 and Series X, thus a market exist.

It is foolish to think Sony would just blindly follow what they did last gen

Yet we've had many skus and redesigns every generation by both Sony and MS. So.....I don't see anything that is really pointing to that changing tbh.

Same applies here.

They didn't just make systems that will never have fucking sequels or something lol They don't have some forever system, all systems by default will be dated as time goes on. So being underpowered "at the time" is the same thing that will occur with the PS5 and Series X.

As in...clearly 8K isn't a normal thing on PS5 and Series X, thus a market exist.

Yet we've had many skus and redesigns every generation by both Sony and MS. So.....I don't see anything that is really pointing to that changing tbh.
No one said they would not make other SKUs. Of course we will get a slimmer PS5 and PS6 lol

I just don't see a Pro model happening for the PS5

Last edited:

EDMIX

No one said they would not make other SKUs. Of course we will get a slimmer PS5 or PS6 lol

I just don't see a Pro model happening

If you can see them making those new models, I don't see why its this wild idea that they'd make one that is for 8K native or checkboard etc.

It sounds more like you want it to not happen then you have any real logical reason why it wouldn't....

Increasing price of silicon makes any soft of mid-gen refresh unrealistic. Unless there is some siginificant change to how chips are fabricated, pro consoles are off the table.

If you can see them making those new models, I don't see why its this wild idea that they'd make one that is for 8K native or checkboard etc.

It sounds more like you want it to not happen then you have any real logical reason why it wouldn't....
The PS5 and Series X are more future proof at launch than the PS4/Xbox one was at launch and the PS5/Series X can last the entire 5-7 year console cycle before the next consoles (we are already in year 2)

8K native .... Have you seen the Series S threads? LOL people are still pushing 1080p gaming as next gen. 8K would be a very hard sell just for a "pro model"

If you want high end performance that experience can be found on PC

Last edited:

EDMIX

The PS5 and Series X are more future proof at launch than the PS4/Xbox one was at launch and the PS5/Series X can last the entire 5-7 year console cycle before the next consoles (we are already in year 2)

8K native .... Have you seen the Series S threads? LOL people are still pushing 1080p gaming as next gen. 8K would be a very hard sell just for a "pro model"

Nothing is future proof. In a few years you'll see that PS5 Pro and Series X-X-X to treat that 8k market

So....they can still play 1080p on PS4, didn't fucking stop PS4 Pro or XONE X from happening.

Same will apply to 8K. You are not really talking about some new situation here lol

Kenpachii

Resolution has nothing to do with next gen or not. The games itself are.

However resolution is what is easy to advertise even while its complete bullshit anyway.

PS4 was a 1080p box
PS4 pro was a 4k box
PS5 is a 8k box
PS5 pro will be whatever hdmi 2.1 is going to support and they will advertise it as such most likely.

Why would u want a PRO model?

Much like with the PS4 pro and xbox one X, more stable resolutions, higher quality settings + higher framerate if that will be allowed because cpu solutions could bottleneck + RT solutions.

Lognor

Banned
I can't see Sony or Microsoft releasing an iterative console again this gen. Neither the PS4 Pro nor the XSX sold too well. What's the point? It doesn't extend the gen in anyway either.

Corndog

Banned
Actually, considering how it might be on newer smaller 5nm chips, it should let them make MORE chips since they wont be competing with other 7nm products anymore. They can still continue to make the 7nm PS5s AND have additional supply. It's win win.
Each smaller node typically costs more. That’s why they don’t start in high demand.

I really dont see the point in mid gen Refreshers this gen.

I think they should just make the systems smaller.

What could double the gpu performance really do?

TBH I have been asking this question myself on-and-off for like a year or so, but I do think there's a path to refreshes offering a lot more power while sitting in comfortable (190w - 220w TDP) power envelopes suiting a console, once you take 5nm and improvements in RDNA 3 (and 4) architecture into account.

It's very feasible to get 25 - 35 TF mid-gen refreshes in 2024 on RDNA 4 architecture. In fact, I'm thinking it's pretty much inevitable. At the very least, QoL use of those systems would be much further ahead than where PS5 and Series X currently are, and they apparently aren't shabby at that as-is. There are other uses too, though; imagine a full game like Hellblade II or the Matrix demo, but at 60 FPS default and even sharper/clearer textures and IQ, combined with denser physic systems, AI systems and game logic, at dynamic resolutions that never dip below 2K.

You're not going to get that anytime this gen on the base PS5 or Series X, regardless of optimizations. But it would be possible on mid-gen refreshes (potentially; only the ambitions of the games on the base system would be the limiting factor).

Reach native 4k, maybe higher settings?

I really dont thinknits worth the effort and money this time.
Its not like last gen where the PS4 and X1 were ill equipped to look great on a 4k TV.

It could help with more realism of immersion in VR & AR applications, that's one purpose.

You may be right but imho this is the point. Microsoft has already made very clear their idea on how they no longer believe in the stop / go given by "generations", aiming at continuous backward / forward compatibility. This means that at any time (especially after the recent addition of Xcloud on consoles) they can pull the plug on hardware that they think is obsolete exactly just like is happening to the Xbox One, who is about to continue to exist in the ecosystem thanks to game streaming. Paradoxically, they could also after 4 or 5 years run in streaming even on the Xbox Series S the heaviest games. So they no longer have the problem of having to give up a refresh that would give them new visibility and power for development. The idea that Sony will release a PS5 pro I see more linked to the fact that it will never give up on a console much more powerful than theirs on the market. And I am almost certain that the Ms will release an Xbox series x elite

Yeah,

Again, there's a reason this guy never links to the patents, because then with one click you'd realize he was lying about these being new:

WLf5pri.png

So basically this patent filing points to nothing new info-wise? That's disappointing :/

PS5 Pro will no doubt be $599 or higher.

Nope. $499 max. That goes for Xbox's, too.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

If you want high end performance that experience can be found on PC

Yes, its obvious that ps5/xsx are more futureproof, they are £499 machines afterall.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
TBH I have been asking this question myself on-and-off for like a year or so, but I do think there's a path to refreshes offering a lot more power while sitting in comfortable (190w - 220w TDP) power envelopes suiting a console, once you take 5nm and improvements in RDNA 3 (and 4) architecture into account.

It's very feasible to get 25 - 35 TF mid-gen refreshes in 2024 on RDNA 4 architecture. In fact, I'm thinking it's pretty much inevitable. At the very least, QoL use of those systems would be much further ahead than where PS5 and Series X currently are, and they apparently aren't shabby at that as-is. There are other uses too, though; imagine a full game like Hellblade II or the Matrix demo, but at 60 FPS default and even sharper/clearer textures and IQ, combined with denser physic systems, AI systems and game logic, at dynamic resolutions that never dip below 2K.

You're not going to get that anytime this gen on the base PS5 or Series X, regardless of optimizations. But it would be possible on mid-gen refreshes (potentially; only the ambitions of the games on the base system would be the limiting factor).

It could help with more realism of immersion in VR & AR applications, that's one purpose.

Yeah,

So basically this patent filing points to nothing new info-wise? That's disappointing :/

Nope. $499 max. That goes for Xbox's, too.

I certainly think they could provide a 2x increase in GPU power using TSMC's N3 process.
However Richard from DF said Microsoft told him that node shrinks wont see the same cost reduction as in the past, which could be problematic.
Also there no guarantee 2x gpu would enable 60fps.

I think if they could do 60fps it would be worthwhile, be higher resolution or other settings I dont think is worth it.

I hope devs do 60fps modes in games for xsx/ps5 because I really dont want to have to upgrade to a mid gen.

Im not a fan of the mid gen concept, I much prefer they make a powerful console at the start which can last 7yrs.

Last edited:
I really dont see the point in mid gen Refreshers this gen.

I think they should just make the systems smaller.

What could double the gpu performance really do?

Reach native 4k, maybe higher settings?

I really dont thinknits worth the effort and money this time.
Its not like last gen where the PS4 and X1 were ill equipped to look great on a 4k TV.
I think the Matrix demo is less than 1440p at 30fps with dips. Double GPU power could be useful in that situation

clem84

Gold Member
The reasons for releasing updated models last gen was, more stable resolutions, higher quality settings + higher frame rate. Basically, a more enjoyable experience. But ultimately, what did Sony and MS see in this endeavor? It was a way to bring new life in their aging consoles, to hopefully boost sales.

I see very little incentive in bringing out pro models in the current economical climate. I see them happening at some point, sure, bit it will take longer than it took previous gen. Especially for Sony. I see PS5 selling really well for many years to come. I could see mid gen refreshes after 4-5 years, and a next gen after 8-9, given the chip shortages and the popularity of both PS5 and XSX.

aclar00

Im in the boat that mid-gen refreshes are less likely to happen this time around. As many said, the consoles are closes together as far as raw power goes and the relevant need (TV technology such as 8k) may not be nearly as saturated into the market as 4k was when the PS4 hit.

Also, i do believe the chip shortage will ultimately effect the decision or whether to release a pro console. I dont think R&D will necessarily be effected, but def the decision to release it.

I am bias in that I personally didnt get a pro because I didnt have a 4k tv and various videos had me believe the increase cost wasnt worth the minute visual fidelity increase. I still have a launch PS4 that works perfectly as well.

Then again, i wait at least 3 years to upgrade to a new cell phone. The changes in tech year to year just isnt enough for me to want to upgrade.

Obviously millions of people bought the pro versions, but what was the percentage of pros vs base consoles sold? The highest i recall was 1/5...and i think that was at the initial release for PlayStation. I was assume mich higher for Xbox given it seems the crippled any sort of advertisement for the base....did they stop making it in favor of the One X?

All in all, if the chip shortage continues for the next two years, i def think its not going to happen. I just dont see the base sales rate being where theyd likely want it. We'd be well into halfway of whats presumably a 7 year generation. If anything, they would like shorten the gen by a year.

Lastly, the way game development is going with last gen, they seem (Sony at least) they wont even hit their stride with the base consoles for 3 more years it seems due to cross gen development...but who knows...

MonarchJT

Banned
This is why internet goons shouldn't make threads about computing hardware they know nothing about.
everyone is making article about this patent you should go around the internet and tell people to don't discuss of things you don't like. The rest of your comment and your personal judgment of who and what should write when open a thread is useless as most of your posts in your fanboy history

Last edited:

Caio

If a PS5 PRO will ever exist, it should come out in September 2024, just my two cents. Maybe a 5nm 72CUs GPU, custom RDNA3 running at 2,4 GHz, in line with the evolution from PS4 to PS4 PRO, just one year later, compared to PS4 PRO. We will see.

Notabueno

Banned
The fact that so many people were interested by a PS5 Slim/Pro from the day of reveal of the PS5 says a lot about the actual zeitgeist around this console.

Haggard

Banned
The optimization of a lot of games released so far for both consoles has been all over the place. I think things will get more consistent as devs start to get a better handle on how to develop for next gen consoles. Especially when they stop focusing resources on the PS4/Xbox one games.
Just how bad do you think the developers at Epic, Blue Point, Playground Games or insomniac are? Because you`re implying they just fucked up and we`ll definitely see even better graphics at double the framerate or resolution next time....
You think the performance and quality modes are just in games because of sloppy optimization? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There already is a giant window for more powerful machines below the 4k/60 target, and that will only get bigger as the gen progresses.....Trying to deny that is ridiculous.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

if it comes i hope it's at least 3 years away from now. it still feels like the base ps5 hasn't launched yet for most people.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Guy debunked a false rumor.

People pretend nothing has happen and continue for other 20 pages.
no,the zuby tech tweet is basicallyy saying that all the other patent correlated have been updated this month adding the part of the second gpu
The most important patent is this.

SCALABLE GAME CONSOLE CPU/GPU DESIGN FOR HOME CONSOLE AND CLOUD GAMING
United States Patent Application 2020024272

Abstract:
In a multi-GPU simulation environment, frame buffer management may be implemented by multiple GPUs rendering respective frames of video, or by rendering respective portions of each frame of video. One of the GPUs controls HDMI frame output by virtue of receiving frame information from the other GPU(s) and reading out complete frames through a physically connected HDMI output port. Or, the outputs of the GPUs can be multiplexed together.

Inventors:
Colenbrander, Roelof Roderick (San Mateo, CA, US)
Application Number:
16/261986
Publication Date:
07/30/2020
Filing Date:
01/30/2019
Export Citation:
Click for automatic bibliography generation
Assignee:
Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (San Mateo, CA, US)
International Classes:
G06T1/20; A63F13/355; G06T1/60

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
No matter what the release you still won't be able to buy it.

I think the continuous lack of availability of gaming consoles was actually beneficial for humanity as a whole, made a lot of people realize they actually don't need to be hardcore about videogames as a hobby.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Do you doubt Sony will release a ps5 pro?
Was the PS4 Pro a success that actually increased market share? What was the ROI? Are the circumstances similar; need for 4k, uncomplicated supply chain, need to drop the price of the base unit, etc.? I don't know on the first 2, but the last one is a big no, no, and no.

I don't expect one. I wouldn't be shocked if they did, but see no real motivation to create one unless they want to one up MS. With the PS4 Pro the 4k thing was a differentiator, but the PS5 is supposed to be 4k 60 FPS. Bringing out a Ps5 Pro that can actually do that for all games would undermine the PS5 marketing. They could certainly say 4K 120 FPS but is that going to attract people to upgrade or adopt the platform over the base PS5? There was no PS3 Pro, PS2 Pro, or PSX Pro.

UnNamed

Banned
no,the zuby tech tweet is basicallyy saying that all the other patent correlated have been updated this month adding the part of the second gpu
The rumor is baseless and old, despite the patent being true (of course).

I remember when Sony patented a dual GPU implementation some time after the release of the PS4 Pro, but rumor like this are even older, before the PS4 release.

IIRC, the PS5 APU itself should have some sort of connector for a dual gpu implementation in the future, like the M1Pro, this because Sony believe(d?) it would be difficult to double the performance at a reasonable cost in the future. This subject has emerged again some time ago because of the shortage chip issue.

Sethbacca

Why not the next Playstation instead of a pro?

I have a hard time believing a “pro” model gets released this gen because it doesn’t make sense.

“4K” was the marketing pitch for the PS4 Pro and One X. What is this pro model going to do? Give us 8k gaming? Lol.

4K/60 fps with RT would be nice but i don’t think that’s worth a mid gen refresh
At a certain point, just the fact that it's the hottest new thing is enough for clout chasers to buy it. It's the same reason people upgrade their phone every year.

NickFire

I'm not convinced we will see a mid gen update this time around because the conditions feel much different to me than last gen. My memory is that last gen started with relatively underpowered hardware. During last gen people started switching to 4k, and I am not convinced the mass market moves past 4k anytime soon. It also remains very difficult, and impossible for many to even purchase the machine they want 13 months into the generation. And to top it off, cross generation games have now become the norm. I'm guessing mid generation upgrades are bypassed in favor of a new generation that continues the cross generation pattern, perhaps a year sooner than last generation lasted.

MonarchJT

Banned
The rumor is baseless and old, despite the patent being true (of course).

I remember when Sony patented a dual GPU implementation some time after the release of the PS4 Pro, but rumor like this are even older, before the PS4 release.

IIRC, the PS5 APU itself should have some sort of connector for a dual gpu implementation in the future, like the M1Pro, this because Sony believe(d?) it would be difficult to double the performance at a reasonable cost in the future. This subject has emerged again some time ago because of the shortage chip issue.
i never in-depth about it but I remember an interview by Cerny at Eurogamer where already from the PS4 pro instead of having a simply more powerful GPU he had opted for a second twin GPU with a boost frequency of 14% ... I don't know how the two were connected. as I have already said I have never deepened the subject

Can't produce enough current PS5's, let's make another one 🤣 it's not happening people we will not see an update until maybe 2024 onwards.

MonarchJT

Banned
Can't produce enough current PS5's, let's make another one 🤣 it's not happening people we will not see an update until maybe 2024 onwards.
well of course just mid gen refresh if that the case ....no one ever said next year we will have a PS5 pro lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom