• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patent to create virtual AI player to mimic you

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://segmentnext.com/2021/04/16/sony-ai-play-games/

Sony Interactive Entertainment has apparently been busy in exploring new ways to assist players during their gameplay sessions.

According to a recently published patent, Sony has been able to use artificial intelligence (AI) to monitor real-life players as they play games with the sole purpose of creating (and controlling) an AI character in the same games.

That may seem counterproductive as why would players even want an assistant of sorts to play their games for them. Sony believes that such an AI-powered assistant would give players an option to have the said AI character enter games in their bestead to complete objectives.

These instances might be difficult for players to do for example, or perhaps players are adhering to busy schedules and just want to avoid an unnecessary grind. Either way, the patented system can allow an AI character to play specific parts of a game where the said AI character actually simulates the gameplay style of the human player.

AI-Personal-Assistant.jpg

UMz0V4.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i would love to have an AI that plays the parts of the game i find fucking boring..
intro for example all the tutorials etc

or an AI that grinds for me in rpg's

jaysius

Banned
It almost looks like they're using the power of the CLOUD on this one.
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

This could be good for fighting games or something? As long as they don't use it as a main crutch for lazy devs, the way some devs have used shitty procedural generation in games instead of crafting good worlds. Procedural generation CAN BE GOOD, it's just what we've been seeing is shitty.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So you telling me I can have an AI farming strikes for me in destiny while I’m at work?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Sony Interactive Entertainment has apparently been busy in exploring new ways to assist players during their gameplay sessions.

According to a recently published patent, Sony has been able to use artificial intelligence (AI) to monitor real-life players as they play games with the sole purpose of creating (and controlling) an AI character in the same games.

That may seem counterproductive as why would players even want an assistant of sorts to play their games for them. Sony believes that such an AI-powered assistant would give players an option to have the said AI character enter games in their bestead to complete objectives.

These instances might be difficult for players to do for example, or perhaps players are adhering to busy schedules and just want to avoid an unnecessary grind. Either way, the patented system can allow an AI character to play specific parts of a game where the said AI character actually simulates the gameplay style of the human player.

UMz0V4.jpg

giphy.gif

Alx

I remember training AI characters in Virtua Fighter 4, it was fun. (the option existed in VF2 already).
Like many Sony patents, it seems they're claiming things that have already existed for years, but I guess there's a technicality that makes it "original".

yurinka

This sounds like the Forza "Driveatar" that got talked up before the Xbox One launch and then no one ever mentioned again.

Would be cool for a game like Dragon's Dogma where you're recruiting characters from your friends.
Is this drivatars thats been in forza for like 4-5 years now?
I remember training AI characters in Virtua Fighter 4, it was fun. (the option existed in VF2 already).
Like many Sony patents, it seems they're claiming things that have already existed for years, but I guess there's a technicality that makes it "original".

Yes, Forza and many other games before or after Forza featured a simple AI that mimicked the actions of a single player in a single game, by taking a few variables or patterns into account. Or have games with very repetitive, simple battles and ton of grinding with an 'auto' mode where the the game plays alone for you without 'learning' from you.

This patent goes way beyond that, it's way more complex: it's a propar AI based (it doesn't take only a few variables into account, it learns properly) personal assistant that can play for you different games (it isn't single game specific, this personal assistant would be able to play multiple games) and would learn from multiple players, not only from you.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member

UMz0V4.jpg
This game tech can be used to make AI partners similarly efficient to the player's performance. Removing that annoying feeling the AI isn't dealing any damage or not leaving anything for you.

Alx

This patent goes way beyond that, it's way more complex: it's a propar AI based (it doesn't take only a few variables into account, it learns properly) personal assistant that can play for you different games (it isn't single game specific, this personal assistant would be able to play multiple games) and would learn from multiple players, not only from you.
That's not really convincing.
  • older learning methods are just as "proper" AI than newer ones (VF2 used neural networks IIRC, although obviously much simpler than those used today). AI may be a buzzword currently, but today's deep learning is just a natural evolution of a technology that was formalized in the 1940s and had practical usage since the 80s.
  • Learning from multiple players is more the standard use of AI than some innovation. It's about using a data pool to train the algorithms, it's actually easier to have a larger dataset from multiple players than a single one.
  • the assisant could support different games, but the AI will most probably be game-specific. There's no way it can learn how you would play Minecraft based on how you play Doom and Fortnite. Heck, even a human AI needs to train specifically for each game. But that may the most relevant part of the patent, individual game AI isn't really new, but having a system-based service that will centralize all those AIs is. More of a convenient OS feature than a big innovation, IMO.

nikolino840

Yes, Forza and many other games before or after Forza featured a simple AI that mimicked the actions of a single player in a single game, by taking a few variables or patterns into account. Or have games with very repetitive, simple battles and ton of grinding with an 'auto' mode where the the game plays alone for you without 'learning' from you.

So for cheating use

LMJ

This is actually brilliant for something like single player games, can you imagine going to sleep and seeing that the game did the grind for you, power leveled, mined resources etc

Basically everything in games that eventually becomes a slog, if it were to be implemented in that fashion it would be amazing

Now for online games this would obviously be unfair and thus discretion would have to be used in these instances, but as a way to take the work out of play?

If it works I say bring it on!

Top Bottom