• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony paid for Monster Hunter World on PC to be delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Sony is also the reason crossplay and cross-saves were not enabled.

unknown.png

Source

But didn't paid to get the game delayed on Xbox...

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

That is how timed exclusive works... you fund or pay to have the game first in your platform.
It implied already.

Ahh.. Standard defense force showing up to champion the fight! It's not typically payed for to keep it off the OPEN platform that is PC. It's 9/10 used to keep it off the COMPETITIONS platform. But you go ahead and keep fighting the good fight!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's what business partnerships are all about. Happens in every industry. You should see some of the shit I've seen in contracts in my industry.

It gets so bad, we got to sit in on meetings with legal to ensure anyone making deals should never say "exclusive" since that can be implied as monopolistic power and decreasing competition. That's why when you go to stores sometimes you dont see some brands on shelf. Not because the stores doesnt want to carry it. But due to a juicy signed deal with Brand X that will say "no Brand Y on shelf".

Yet in gaming, "exclusive" is publicly stated in game maker videos. And nobody cares.

Go figure.

Last edited:

FingerBang

How does this make any sense? Like, I would understand Sony delaying the game on Xbox and PC or on Xbox but... PC? How reliable is the source?

Seriously, I'm confused

Bridges

Timed exclusivity is standard practice and not actually shocking, but paying to not have crossplay is horrible. The game would've really benefited from it.

Hustler

This literally happens with every exclusive game, why is anyone surprised?

Remember what happened with Tomb Raider and how vague Microsoft was around exclusivity. Next to zero information given about other platforms and timing.

Braag

Sony HQ:

"How do we get PC players on our side, to pay for our products?!"

"We pay other devs to delay their games on PC?"

"That's a great idea!"

Skifi28

What's stopping Capcom from enabling cross-save now that it's available on all 3 platforms and it's been out for like 3 years?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pre-Jim Ryan btw. He took over in April 2019.

Still, its kinda frustrating to see Sony pay what must be millions on stupid shit like this (this wasnt even a console exclusive. it was on XBox). Lets hope this didnt come at the expense of spending on first and second party studios.

Kokoloko85

But why PC? Was excluding Xbox too expensive?

And that crossplay block is just petty and pathetic. I don't see how anyone can defend that shit.

Because thats how timed exclusive works. Playstation isnt the only one who does this.

I personally dont care if I play with people on the PC or other consoles. Same with my switch

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Cross saves etc is the true bullshit here. We'll its capcoms loss for agreeing to it. I would have also purchased on pc if I could move my saves around.

Forsythia

Sounds like Sony. Make other playerbases miserable, never add value to your own.

I really don't understand why Sony does it, they don't need it at all. They have so many well received first party exclusives already. That should be enough to entice people to buy a PlayStation. But no, let's fuck 2/3s of the playerbase. So many games which have less content because of this bullshit, all for that sticker on the box.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Because thats how timed exclusive works. Playstation isnt the only one who does this.

I personally dont care if I play with people on the PC or other consoles. Same with my switch
You say this now, but in years time after MP has died on any given platform and you still want to play some MP games, you'll wish that cross-play was a thing. I don't get the argument against crossplay. As long as it's an option and you can choose to not play with a specific platform for whatever perceived reason, I don't see why people would NOT want to have the choice. You get a larger player base and you can still CHOOSE not play with them if you don't want to. It's a win-win and still people will fight against it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Pre-Jim Ryan btw. He took over in April 2019.

Still, its kinda frustrating to see Sony pay what must be millions on stupid shit like this (this wasnt even a console exclusive. it was on XBox). Lets hope this didnt come at the expense of spending on first and second party studios.
Jim was Head of Global Sales and Marketing since april 2016

2016 is when sony started to get 'weird' IMO it def wasn't just because of Jim tho

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is what they do.

You mean the gaming industry. Are people around here and other forums born yesterday or something? All that nonsense with Days Gone 2 and some of the others things and now this Do they need tot teach us how the industry works? It's nothing different from 30 years ago.

Even Guerrilla Games had Killzone games pitches, but they didn't greenlit it but did for Horizon. That doesn't mean we won't see another Killzone game in the future, same as for Days Gone...also not shocking.

Nothing shocking about this, but it doesn't make any sense since a lot of games have PS5/PC releases.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

You say this now, but in years time after MP has died on any given platform and you still want to play some MP games, you'll wish that cross-play was a thing. I don't get the argument against crossplay. As long as it's an option and you can choose to not play with a specific platform for whatever perceived reason, I don't see why people would NOT want to have the choice. You get a larger player base and you can still CHOOSE not play with them if you don't want to. It's a win-win and still people will fight against it.

Yeah I get that. Its not worth paying to not be crossplay etc. And I thought certain games were crossplay?

Im just saying for myself its not important, not much of a MP especially years after its released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom