• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

reksveks

There are people whom have got a sn750se ssd which is a pcie4x2 nvme drive rated at 3200mb/s. Apparently the sony read test is saying something closer to 5200.

El gallo

This is inexcusable! The fact that this isn’t available yet is insane. I have no fucking room on my ssd Sony!!! Put the update out. Should have been available since day one.

How aren’t you guys not pissed about this?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I want to upgrade my pc with more ssde, what do these holes look like?
ssd-otvirak.jpg

This is inexcusable! The fact that this isn’t available yet is insane. I have no fucking room on my ssd Sony!!! Put the update out. Should have been available since day one.

I'm constantly pissed. But there's nothing I can do.

I want to play the FFVII Remake on my PS5 but I have no space left.😟😢

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Am extremely pissed, friend.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I'm pissed about this and VRR but there is nothing we can do. I don't need the space yet though, I don't buy a whole lot of PS5 games. And those prices are putting me off still.

Nitty_Grimes

All I can think of is that if you take away the 1% of YouTube influencers ramming it down your throat about how they were sent SSDs for free and thank you to my sponsors etc, the other 99% must have provided some actual feedback back to Sony.

Because I don’t know why there is such a delay between beta and official release this time.

I wonder if Sony have actually had bricked or destroyed systems by this beta?

Last edited:
I agree that the wait for the expansion SSD firmware is frustrating. I kept signing up for the beta - 3 to 5 times per day over a month - but never got an invite. Bought a 2 TB WD SN850 with heatsink about a month ago so I'm itching to install it and finally be able to install what I want without having to juggle PS5 games. I am absolutely fed up with having to archive PS5 games to my external SSD in order to make space for new games because even that process is not seamless like on Xbox as you have to wait for it to complete before you can do anything else with the PS5.

I can understand Sony not wanting to rush out a buggy firmware but, c'mon, the console has been out almost 10 months now and we are STILL waiting for the expansion slot to be officially unlocked. I'm honestly shocked at how far behind Microsoft Sony are when it comes to supporting hardware features. We are still waiting for the official SSD expansion firmware and I am not even going to hazard a guess at how long it will be before we get VRR support on the PS5 (I am actually starting to think we won't...).

El gallo

I agree that the wait for the expansion SSD firmware is frustrating. I kept signing up for the beta - 3 to 5 times per day over a month - but never got an invite. Bought a 2 TB WD SN850 with heatsink about a month ago so I'm itching to install it and finally be able to install what I want without having to juggle PS5 games. I am absolutely fed up with having to archive PS5 games to my external SSD in order to make space for new games because even that process is not seamless like on Xbox as you have to wait for it to complete before you can do anything else with the PS5.

I can understand Sony not wanting to rush out a buggy firmware but, c'mon, the console has been out almost 10 months now and we are STILL waiting for the expansion slot to be officially unlocked. I'm honestly shocked at how far behind Microsoft Sony are when it comes to supporting hardware features. We are still waiting for the official SSD expansion firmware and I am not even going to hazard a guess at how long it will be before we get VRR support on the PS5 (I am actually starting to think we won't...).
We won’t

RasAlGhoul

Because it’s video games and not anything actually important in life. The updates comes when it comes. Life moves on.

ViolentP

I'm not pissed because this is not important.

Hustler

I need some help. Best Buy doesn't have the SN850 2TB SSD with heatsink, just SSD without. I need to buy from best buy because I have ~$300 of rewards I need to use, so it's a no brainer to buy from Best Buy to get a 2TB for cheap.

Having said that, is there a way to buy the WD heatsink separately or is there a third party heatsink I should buy with it?

Thanks for the help!

RasAlGhoul

Than why are you responding 🤔 Do you even own a PS5?
You asked a question. I responded. Don’t want people to give answers you don’t like then don’t ask questions.

And yes I’ve had one since day 1. Already have my 1TB SN850.
Would I like the firmware update? Of course. How am I not pissed off, because I’m an adult with bigger things to worry about than getting angry over firmware updates.

El gallo

You asked a question. I responded. Don’t want people to give answers you don’t like then don’t ask questions.

Would I like the firmware update? Of course. How am I not pissed off, because I’m an adult with bigger things to worry about than getting angry over firmware updates.
So your ok with having a feature locked away from a physical product you purchased . Then on top of that you go and purchase another product for said feature that you are locked out of using.

I’m listening to 1984 maybe you should too.

Nitty_Grimes

Some people are just impatient and hate waiting for things, nothing to do with being a adult and having far more important things to worry about.

I’m not worried or angry about a firmware update either, I’m just an impatient person. In real life we probably wouldn’t get on if the thought of that that makes your shit itch.

Last edited:

ViolentP

So your ok with having a feature locked away from a physical product you purchased . Then on top of that you go and purchase another product for said feature that you are locked out of using.

The feature is not locked away from you. It's an upcoming feature that is not released yet. Relax. Be patient. It will eventually release and we can move on to the next travesty.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
The feature is not locked away from you. It's an upcoming feature that is not released yet. Relax. Be patient. It will eventually release and we can move on to the next travesty.
Hopefully the next travesty is getting vrr

RasAlGhoul

No I’m just patient. I know it’s coming. I wanted the SSD before they were out of stock everywhere and I couldn’t get one.
I also knew this feature would be locked away, they told us this months before the system came out. This is no surprise. It will come out for us all. I can wait. And I’m ready for when it does come out.

You thinking this is in any way analogous to 1984 is unbelievably hilarious though. Thank you for making me laugh so hard this morning.

Ozriel

M$FT
I keep hearing people clamoring for VRR but never dipped into why it's such a hot topic all of a sudden.

More and more VRR capable TVs on the market today, so people are kinda pissed the support isn’t there on ps5.
I’m more interested in the ssd firmware being available. Been juggling space like crazy.

Jesus they're identical.

In 3.0 Sony should just merge the two storage numbers so that if you have a 2TB installed, the console just shows 2.8TB instead of two separate drives

Not sure allowing game installs across multiple drives will ever be allowed, and for good reason.

Top Bottom