• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

Topher

Gold Member
This is true but the difference is that you can’t easily plug a 4tb hd to your Vita which is different from what you can do with the Series consoles. So, for long term preservation of digital media, you still have a viable option in the Series consoles.

Where is the 4TB expansion for Series consoles? All I see is the 1 TB option.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
€248 for SN850 - 1TB with Heatsink. Yea or no?
No, just get the bare drive and a $10 heatsink

I spent $210+tax on the 1TB WD drive and this heatsink and it’s been great so far:

DeYQrni.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned

TEAMGROUP T-Force CARDEA A440 1TB Gen4 x4 M.2 2280 SSD Read/Write 7,000/5,500 MB/s $179 or 169 with promo on Amazon​

Last edited:

hroerekr

So, my heatsink doesn't fit. It is ok to not put the bay cover?

I don't know why they made such a small compartment considering how incredibly large and ugly is the console design. There is no way they were space constrained.

Tripolygon

Banned

I don't know why they made such a small compartment considering how incredibly large and ugly is the console design. There is no way they were space constrained.
According to reports you don't have to put the cover back on but I would suggest you should return the heatsink and get something that fits within spec, there are plenty. The metal plate is not just there for show, it is there to shield the electromagnetic fields which can interfere with other system functions like wifi or bluetooth etc. Though it might not have any adverse effect in usage, they designed and tested it for FCC approval with the cover in place.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

According to reports you don't have to put the cover back on but I would suggest you should return the heatsink and get something that fits within spec, there are plenty. The metal plate is not just there for show, it is there to shield the electromagnetic fields which can interfere with other system functions like wifi etc. Though it might not have any adverse effect in usage, they designed and tested it for FCC approval with the cover in place.
The cover is there for the vacuum cooling effect.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It is ugly, but large to help with cheaper/affordable cooling (designing airflow and low noise operation is not easy, as PS4 Pro).

Cyborg

Sorry to ask this again but has anyone (with actual knowledge) used WD SN850 1TB with an unofficial heatsink? I'm from The Netherlands and the prices with an original heatsink are absurd.

- 1TB with the original heatsink is at the moment € 275
- 1TB without a heatsink is € 199

I was considering this heatsink like suggested by thebigmanjosh thebigmanjosh but don't know if it's any good irl performance.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Sorry to ask this again but has anyone (with actual knowledge) used WD SN850 1TB with an unofficial heatsink? I'm from The Netherlands and the prices with an original heatsink are absurd.

I was considering this heatsink like suggested by thebigmanjosh thebigmanjosh but don't know if it's any good irl performance.
I’ve had no issues with mine so far, but this is the heatsink NXGamer NXGamer used with his 980 Pro: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Y5DZ4N/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's a video above.

Get the Eluteng or what It is called.
You will find it under different names but they are all the same.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
FireCuda 530 1TB is available at Best Buy for 220 bucks, you guys think I should bite or wait for the heatsink version?

Edit: Well, no one was answering me so just ordered it. From my research on Youtube, 3rd party heatsinks are just doing fine.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Do NOT use it without the bay cover! The bay cover is there to keep the PS5 airflow running through the console.. It's part of the design which will also assist to cool the SSD. You leave it off, the PS5 cooling system is not as efficient and effective. There are lots of heatsinks that fit.. Not sure why you didn't check the specs before purchasing.

Heatsink must not exceed 11 x 25 x 11.25 mm.. Max Height above SSD 8mm.. Max height below SSD 2.45mm.. It's not that hard to understand.

Shmunter

Do NOT use it without the bay cover! The bay cover is there to keep the PS5 airflow running through the console.. It's part of the design which will also assist to cool the SSD. You leave it off, the PS5 cooling system is not as efficient and effective. There are lots of heatsinks that fit.. Not sure why you didn't check the specs before purchasing.

Heatsink must not exceed 11 x 25 x 11.25 mm.. Max Height above SSD 8mm.. Max height below SSD 2.45mm.. It's not that hard to understand.
Eggheads beta testing have concluded the cover is non essential. Indeed, a taller heatsink with cover off has read cooler ssd temps.

The main fan potentially pulling the ssd heated air through the console is true in both instances,

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Eggheads beta testing have concluded the cover is non essential. Indeed, a taller heatsink with cover off has read cooler ssd temps.

The main fan potentially pulling the ssd heated air through the console is true in both instances,

I would check the entire console airflow for changes when operating without cover, it seems like something non trivial in terms of design so I would still tend to operate it the recommended way ;).

kyliethicc

This is why I suspect that the real reason Sony are saying to always use the metal cover over the bay is to avoid any liability/blame when someone inevitably uses a giant heatsink (and leaves the cover off) and burns the inside of the white plastic shell plate on their PS5.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Anyone YOLO’d with no heatsink? I dont even have one on my pc m2 nvme (its one of the compatible ones with ps5) and its just fine. Any loss of performance? Does it get too hot?

cormack12

Gold Member
Anyone YOLO’d with no heatsink? I dont even have one on my pc m2 nvme (its one of the compatible ones with ps5) and its just fine. Any loss of performance? Does it get too hot?
I think lots of people are just using the included heat spreaders rather than heatsink.

BestBuy has the SN850 models with heatsink back in stock. It's only $20 over the non-heatsink versions. I pulled the trigger on a 2TB. Now to wait for the firmware release.

I have my SN850 2tb ready for action.
Updated the firmware on my PC and added the custom heatsink.

Shmunter

If games actually take advantage of the ssd to constantly stream assets as per the creators goal, than load on ssd while gaming would be constantly high and require cooling. Current games that pull low levels of data probably can get away without cooling.

Ulysses 31

BestBuy has the SN850 models with heatsink back in stock. It's only $20 over the non-heatsink versions. I pulled the trigger on a 2TB. Now to wait for the firmware release.

What's the firmware supposed to fix over the recent one?

Edit: oh you meant the PS5 firmware instead of the SSD one.

Last edited:
Would be cool if they planned this update to become public next week in time with the PlayStation showcase.
I'm sitting on my 2TB Aorus 7000 and can't install it.

Animated GIF

That would definitely be a good time to announce it. And hopefully something about VRR but I have my doubts on that.

Elios83

Animated GIF

That would definitely be a good time to announce it. And hopefully something about VRR but I have my doubts on that.

VRR is a nice extra if you have a TV supporting it but it's hardly a feature that has a role in any marketing plan. I guess it's coming once its support is sorted out on Sony's TVs. They also have to decide what to do with 8K output support which is an other advertised feature, so yeah their work on the video output settings is far from complete on PS5.

mili2110

Just get the Samsung OEM Client SSD PM9A1 2TB. Its basically a Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB for OEMs and retails for around 265€ (in germany at least) + 10€ for a 3rd Party Heatsink. Only downside is that you dont get a warranty as a private customer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom