• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

GHG

Gold Member
Really love how once again the suckers got shown up quick.

Prices already getting more affordable, and you can always count on sales:

1TB, 199$, high speed, go get em boys

Funny thing is I called all of this before the consoles released and even backed it up with historical price data for proprietary vs non-proprietary storage solutions.

Got called a FUD merchant. They thrive on fiction.

The other nice thing about the Sony approach is you can use the drive in a PC later if you dont need it for PS5.

Just overall better IMO, for anyone not a dinky casual or whatever.

Especially since there is potential for actually improving load times and whatnot w/ drives that max out the spec.

The only ones that it isn't for art the incredibly dumb or extremely lazy people. For everyone else it's going to be a simple and easy process. Sony really did their best to make the process as easy as possible while still allowing consumers to have choice.

skit_data

The other nice thing about the Sony approach is you can use the drive in a PC later if you dont need it for PS5.

Just overall better IMO, for anyone not a dinky casual or whatever.

Especially since there is potential for actually improving load times and whatnot w/ drives that max out the spec.
That’s the best part about it IMO.

I use all my old HDD from my PS3s and PS4s for storing stuff, I’ll likely do the same if I get a NVME for my PS5.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That Linus video was surprisingly good. I 100% agree with him on the way Sony has allowed sub 5.5 GBps SSDs. Clearly Ratchet and other games arent built around the 5.5 GBps hard limit but what happens in the future when someone decides to push the SSD read speeds? They wouldve allowed users to buy sub optimal drives that might no longer run games.

Last edited:
That Linus video was surprisingly good. I 100% agree with him on the way Sony has allowed sub 5.5 GBps of RAM. Clearly Ratchet and other games arent built around the 5.5 GBps hard limit but what happens in the future when someone decides to push the SSD read speeds? They wouldve allowed users to buy sub optimal drives that might no longer run games.

Luckily every PS5 includes a 5.5GB/s drive so it's not like it's the end of the world of that happens. People having issues will either upgrade the NVME or move the files to the soldered drive.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That Linus video was surprisingly good. I 100% agree with him on the way Sony has allowed sub 5.5 GBps of RAM. Clearly Ratchet and other games arent built around the 5.5 GBps hard limit but what happens in the future when someone decides to push the SSD read speeds? They wouldve allowed users to buy sub optimal drives that might no longer run games.
Those games could just be put on the internal drive if someone wants to buy a cheaper slower drive now

NickFire

Where did you buy it at. Can’t find one anywhere right now
I'm still waiting for a beta code from Sony, but went ahead and put a heatsink on one last night that I got from best buy. It really wasn't that hard. Got the heatsink from a different store, and watched a video to be safe. Took me probably 15-20 minutes, but I could probably do it in a couple minutes now tops. Definitely worth doing yourself if you want to save a few bucks. Heat sink was 13, but price difference of ssd was 50 without heat sink.

dano1

A Sheep
I'm still waiting for a beta code from Sony, but went ahead and put a heatsink on one last night that I got from best buy. It really wasn't that hard. Got the heatsink from a different store, and watched a video to be safe. Took me probably 15-20 minutes, but I could probably do it in a couple minutes now tops. Definitely worth doing yourself if you want to save a few bucks. Heat sink was 13, but price difference of ssd was 50 without heat sink.
Ok thanks. Probably what I’m going to end up doing. Getting the WD sn850 1TB.

graywolf323

Gold Member

the intro was great, of course Windows Central wrote an article like that

Oh No Eye Roll GIF by Aardman Animations

twilo99

Not that I know of. It's a shame the Verge didn't really give us any hard data.

That one is the most interesting of them all..

3900MB/s read
3200MB/s write

and its obviously much cheaper. If the game and the system work fine with it, I don't see why bother with a faster drive, unless you think Sony would allow slower drives to work with the PS5 knowing that some of its future 1st party games won't work properly, which would be a huge blunder and I don't think they would do that.

So they would either restrict this once out of beta, or you get to save money and buy a slower drive, which would be a win.

twilo99

I just found this.

Thank you, that is well done test actually and pretty much inline with what the verge reported.

ratchet test starts at around 2min50. and I see zero issues. Congrats to the Sony engineers for achieving this and saving their customers money in the process.

It also proves that this next gen only game would play fine on series s and x, no problem.

Last edited:
That one is the most interesting of them all..

3900MB/s read
3200MB/s write

and its obviously much cheaper. If the game and the system work fine with it, I don't see why bother with a faster drive, unless you think Sony would allow slower drives to work with the PS5 knowing that some of its future 1st party games won't work properly, which would be a huge blunder and I don't think they would do that.

So they would either restrict this once out of beta, or you get to save money and buy a slower drive, which would be a win.

Honestly if it doesn't work right you can just transfer it to the internal drive. It wouldn't really be a screw up since everyone can do that.

I've seen some FUD spreading about how Sony are going to force devs to focus on slower drives but that probably won't happen. Just due to the fact that everyone has a 5.5GB/s drive in their system.

Thank you, that is well done test actually

At least it shows you the proof unlike the Verges article.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Y'all thought 3.8 GB/s was the slowest Gen4 SSD?

Some big outlet is about to test Xbox Series's 2.4 GB/s drive on PS5. Slowest of the slowest Gen4 drive currently on the market. Initial test suggests that PS5 at least accepts the drive (i.e. passes the PCIe check to begin formatting) since it's Gen4. They can't wait to test Ratchet now.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Y'all thought 3.8 GB/s was the slowest Gen4 SSD?

Some big outlet is about to test Xbox Series's 2.4 GB/s drive on PS5. Slowest of the slowest Gen4 drive currently on the market. Initial test suggests that PS5 at least accepts the drive (i.e. passes the PCIe check to begin formatting) since it's Gen4. They can't wait to test Ratchet now.

I thought Gen4s didn't get that slow.

Edit: It's a Gen4×2 instead of a Gen4×4.

That would explain the lower speed. But I'm surprised the PS5 even accepts it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

XPG GAMMIX S70 1TB 7400MB/s / 6800MB/s $139​

The top heat sink Is slightly too tall but you can replace the top part with off shelf heat sink for $10. Love competition.

wtf. I literally just bought a 980 Pro for $200 the other day.

Incredible price for such high specs.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
wtf. I literally just bought a 980 Pro for $200 the other day.

Incredible price for such high specs.
It was only a few weeks ago that MrFunSocks MrFunSocks was arguing that the price of these SSD won't drop. But as we can see over the last couple of days the prices have dropped on a lot of these gen4 SSDs.
Yeah from what Md Ray Md Ray explained to me it's a modified GEN3 drive. Pretty much a GEN3.5 drive if you know what I mean.
Specs-wise it is a gen4x2 SSD regardless of how low the speed is compare to other gen4 SSDs.

Last edited:
It was only a few weeks ago that MrFunSocks MrFunSocks was arguing that the price of these SSD won't drop. But as we can see over the last couple of days the prices have dropped on a lot of these gen4 SSDs.

Specs-wise it is a gen4x2 SSD regardless of how low the speed is compare to other gen4 SSDs.

Not sure what other enhancements Gen4 brings other than the additional speed.

As for anyone saying prices won't drop the drives come from the PC market which has a ton of competition. Anyone thinking prices will remain stagnant are just fooling themselves. Wait till Gen5 comes out and that becomes the new hotness.

SlimySnake

XPG GAMMIX S70 1TB 7400MB/s / 6800MB/s $139​

The top heat sink Is slightly too tall but you can replace the top part with off shelf heat sink for $10. Love competition.

Found a review for this. Apparently it launched at $200.

Just an FYI, The 1TB version only has a 5.5 GBps write speed which should be good enough for the PS5 and is stll higher than the 980 Pro.

OUR VERDICT​

Adata’s XPG Gammix S70 is fast and features almost everything you could want from a high-end PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD, but the heatsink is a bit restrictive and not quite as refined as our current best picks.

FOR​

• + Very fast sequential performance
  • + High endurance
  • + AES 256-bit hardware encryption
  • + Black PCB + Heatsink
  • + 5-year warranty

AGAINST​

• - It may be physically incompatible with some motherboards
  • - High idle power consumption on the desktop
  • - Slow write speeds after the SLC cache fills
  • - Pricey
Tgu39fknwycJ7HfiyjBDHd-970-80.png.webp

eMXRCPUuW68fzNtawKNXRd-970-80.png.webp

They recommend you do not remove the heatsink or replace it because it might damage the chip. But other than that, it seems to be roughly on par with the 980 Pro despite the higher speeds. Still for $60 cheaper, this is a very good get.

And since its Walmart, if it doesnt fit in the PS5 you can always return it.

Honestly if it doesn't work right you can just transfer it to the internal drive. It wouldn't really be a screw up since everyone can do that.

I've seen some FUD spreading about how Sony are going to force devs to focus on slower drives but that probably won't happen. Just due to the fact that everyone has a 5.5GB/s drive in their system.

At least it shows you the proof unlike the Verges article.
Some games could even put a disclaimer that if you're using an aftermarket SSD, you might not get the same experience as using the built-in SSD.

Top Bottom