• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

JaksGhost

For one you nailed my 31 year old son who simply doesnt have the time in his busy life of running Coke a Cola warehouses to mess with this.

When he gets a little time carved out to finally sit down and game he doesnt want to be looking around to find a drive and heatsink that fit, he wants to play.

Now he would 100% take it somewhere and pay to have it done if he needed.

I have seen some call people like this lazy and my son is the hardest working person I know.

Its just not a perfect SSD solution for people that have never owned a gaming PC and buy consoles to NOT do this very thing people are asked to do if they want extra storage.

I don't get why people can't understand why someone who has never done this before would feel slightly intimidated in doing it.
Sounds like your son’s solution would be cold storage since he has such a busy life and only has very little time to game. The SSD expansion is optional and not necessary to operate the console.

Last edited:

truth411

Sounds like your son’s solution would be cold storage since he has such a busy life and only has very little time to game. The SSD expansion is optional and not necessary to operate the console.
Or the way he is describing his son, sounds like he wouldn't need to expand the SSD since he has so little time to game.

When he gets a little time carved out to finally sit down and game he doesnt want to be looking around to find a drive and heatsink that fit, he wants to play.
I don't get why people can't understand why someone who has never done this before would feel slightly intimidated in doing it.

Not Really sure why you would take the Beta testing as any real world experience and removing two screws an unsurmaountable task.

Three quick points.

1) Sony will release a list of compatiable drives and you can buy these drives with heatsinks installed . Beta testers are doing their own thing and testing unapproved drives, this is not what most people are going to do or experience .
2) The installation is no worse then opening the battery compartment on a toy which has screws to change the battery . It will take someone longer to download a game then it will to install a drive
3) most people will never need to expand their PS5 because they don't have to . Having 3 or 4 games at the ready is more then enough for most people

S0ULZB0URNE

Nah. First, it wouldn't melt the plastic. Not only because it just wouldn't in general, but the plastic isn't making contact with the heat sink. The second reason is that heat sinks are designed with spacing to allow for air flow through the heat sink. They aren't solid bricks.

Not all are designed the exact same, but take the MHQJRH M.2 2280 SSD double sided heatsink for example:
51tXCRhCKAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This allows for the air to flow through the block and let the heat drawn away from the chip by the block to escape and be cooled.
Not sure how if the metal plate is put back on.

kingkaiser

Three quick points.

1) Sony will release a list of compatiable drives and you can buy these drives with heatsinks installed .
Major problem here, because the M2s which come with a heatsink pre-installed are ridiculously overpriced.
Take the Western Digital drive for example, the one Mark Cerny promotes, it costs 100 bucks more with original heatsink pre-installed.
Yep, 100 bucks for a little piece of aluminum. That's straight up highway robbery.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Amazon sent this bad boy fast as in next day fast!
gRcvoDx.jpg

Here is a comparison pic with my XSX nvme drive...

qETEPTE.jpg

Luving those specs!

RSsDyGV.jpg

Dat Aorus drive looks so fit! beast mode. I want one!

Hats off to the little Xbox expansion card though. I got mine the other day and the thing is so tiny and cute with its little protective sleeve. Will be dope when I start going around to my friends houses again or get my series S in the other rooms in the house. Just hot swapping cards.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I go back to my examples - servicing a car. Super simple once you know what you're doing. Changing the oil is unscrewing a plug, draining, and putting new oil in. Does that mean that every single person that buys a car will automatically do that themselves if you just tell them to "watch a video"? No, and anyone that thinks they will is just dumb.
Just wanted to chime in and say that you are really bad at analogies. They are really not doing you any favors. Stick to other methods to bolster your argument.

Just wanted to chime in and say that you are really bad at analogies. They are really not doing you any favors. Stick to other methods to bolster your argument.

He does this often which is why I have him on ignore. I don't know if he's doing it to troll or he's incapable of making good arguments. Reminds me of what he said recently about Ratchet being given for free.

SlimySnake

The difference here is that replacing HDDs in PS3, PS4 and Xbox 360 wasnt really that hard. You required a screw and you simply plugged it in. So if your son had no issues with that, he should have no issues with this.

TBH, I dont know of any repair shop that would even agree to do this.

P.S I know how intimidating it can be. I have built PCs from scratch multiple times going back to 2003. I have reapplied the thermal paste on both my PS3 and PS4, and yet went with a prebuilt PC this time around because motherboards freak me out. now anytime there is an issue, I just take it to the shop and pay $90-180 to fix any issues with the motherboard and CPU heatsink. So I get it. But this aint it. It literally just plugs right in.

EDIT: one thing I will say is that It might be a bit confusing to know which SSD to buy, but as you can see with the tweet above, the manufacturers will go out of their way to make sure everyone knows exactly which SSD is PS5 compatible. It's definitely not as easy as going to bestbuy and picking up an Xbox SSD expansion or picking up pretty much any HDD on the market for the PS4, but if you do your shopping online, i suspect it will be very easy to search for PS5 compatible SSDs on bestbuy.com.

Last edited:
I think for most scenarios, like game instals might take just a tad longer, read speed is all that matters.I see the priority levels issue also raising its head for reads rather than writes so both drives have good near internal drive specs write speed to work well.

The SRAM cache in the I/O Processor complex and the DRAM added to the SSD controller (where the external SSD hooks into as well) should help guarantee writes and reads to be batched and reordered to max throughput. Trust the KnackDaddy ;).
I agree. I ordered a 500gb one last night just to take me to 1.3TB usable, that's plenty for me.

Major problem here, because the M2s which come with a heatsink pre-installed are ridiculously overpriced.
Take the Western Digital drive for example, the one Mark Cerny promotes, it costs 100 bucks more with original heatsink pre-installed.
Yep, 100 bucks for a little piece of aluminum. That's straight up highway robbery.
Not sure what drives your looking at but the manufacturer drives with heatsinks only cost about $30 more the 1 TB SN850 is $199/$229. Regardless, the point is that no one needs to look for heatsinks to fit their drives if they buy them preinstalled.

Im not sure where you are seeing that but retailers can charge what they want. On WD's website its $25 more and on newegg its $40 more. And on WD direct website the prices are way higher for the units.

Last edited:

Mithos

Honestly I would rather buy the ones with the heatsinks. It's worth it, it's designed around it.
WD Black SN850 2TB without heatsink ~ €390
WD Black SN850 2TB WITH heatsink ~ €525

(price of the 2 versions locally)

NO, it is not worth it, if the prices were ~€390 to ~€425 maybe, but not when the heatsink adds ~€135 to the price

Mr Moose

NO, it is not worth it, if the prices were ~€390 to ~€425 maybe, but not when the heatsink adds ~€135 to the price
Not sure if they deliver to where you are, but there's one on Scan UK that converts to €470. Still expensive, though.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

The price is like that because people bought up the heatsink version. It was $429 for the heatsink version on WD.com, which is $30 more for the heatsink.

Last edited:

Mithos

Not sure if they deliver to where you are, but there's one on Scan UK that converts to €470. Still expensive, though.
My point was just if the price diffrence is that high its not worth it to buy the "pre-installed heatsink" one, over the no heatsink one + a 3rd party €10-20 heatsink.

The price is like that because people bought up the heatsink version. It was $429 for the heatsink version on WD.com, which is $30 more for the heatsink.
I'm sure this is true in some places (stores and countiries).
However the price on the WD Black SN850 2TB (no heatsink) and WD Black SN850 2TB (with heatsink) have been pretty stable the last two months here/locally.

Mr Moose

My point was just if the price diffrence is that high its not worth it to buy the "pre-installed heatsink" one, over the no heatsink one + a 3rd party €10-20 heatsink.

I'm sure this is true in some places (stores and countiries).
However the price on the WD Black SN850 2TB (no heatsink) and WD Black SN850 2TB (with heatsink) have been pretty stable the last two months here/locally.

Yeah I might get one without a heatsink and attach a 3rd party one, would save me around £30 on the 1TB drive. Depends how lazy I feel at the time and if I get in the beta.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Does anyone know if the sticker on the NVMe drive should be removed before applying a heatsink? I know the ones that come stock with a heatsink don't have any sticker underneath it, from a YouTube video I saw. But a lot of forums say to leave the sticker on because of some warranty issue, or because it supposedly helps dissipate heat? I don't know which one it is.

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm cross posting from reddit as I think DanCTapirson did an excellent writeup and tests.

UPDATE ON PS5 BENCHMARK:

Ok guys this was very interesting. I decided I would reformat the Samsung 980 Pro to see if the PS5 gave me another number on the benchmark it runs. Lo and behold it did! I don't know how this benchmark works, but it's definitely not consistent. I ran it 4 more times and these are the numbers I got:

• 6072.967 MB/s
  • 5069.494 MB/s
  • 5973.731 MB/s
  • 6213.344 MB/s
UPDATE:

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 250 GB

• Tested and works with PS5
  • Read speed: 5751.242 MB/s according to PS5. (I got different results here as mentioned above)
  • Games played with no issue or difference in speed, loading times, performance: Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Rainbow Six Siege
Temperatures were taken in weather of 25°c (77°f), with infrared gun pointing directly at the hottest part of SSD as close as possible. I know the PS5 uses negative airflow to cool the SSD partition, so the enclosure plate was always on, except when I took temperatures and I removed it:

Without Heatsink

• Idle Temperature: 55°c - 59°c
  • Highest Writing Temperature while transferring 5 games: 74°c
  • Highest temperature while playing Ratchet and Clank and Returnal: 72°c
With Heatsink

This is the one I got. It comes with a Rubber mount and a screw mount. Just use the screw mount if you get this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PS9S2DZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

IMPORTANT: Before going into the results, I've noticed the 2 exhaust 'holes' Sony mentioned to allow for negative airflow are located on the higher part of the SSD partition to the side of the fan. Image 1, Image 2 As you can see, I took these photos after installing the heatsink. Seems that adding a heatsink makes the heat get closer to these holes, allowing the negative pressure to suck it out of the partition faster. If there's no heatsink installed, the SSD is probably not being "cooled" as efficiently. Just what I think. Now for the results:

Note: The heatsink is dissipating the heat from the hottest area of the SSD to a bigger surface area. I highly recommend getting a heatsink.

• Idle Temperature: 43°c - 45°c
  • Highest Writing Temperature while transferring 5 games: 50°c
  • Highest temperature while playing Ratchet and Clank and Returnal: 50°c
Samsung rates the 980 pro at operational between 0-70°c and non operational at -40°c/85°c. I guess it will throttle if it goes higher than 70°c? Not sure as I was measuring ~72°c while playing and experimented no issues. Probably wouldn't be good to run the SSD this hot in the long term.

UPDATE ON SPEEDS:

ok so I timed some speeds on Ratchet and Clank and Returnal. Games load and perform identical as far as I can tell, but what I found interesting is the difference in time it take to move the games to the main SSD or to the Samsung Pro 980.

I don't know why, but moving to Samsung SSD was faster than moving back to main SSD. Does this mean the main SSD is reading faster, or that the Samsung SSD is writing faster? Or both? The games are loading almost identical, so I'm guessing both are reading equally fast. Hopefully DF can provide more insight into this.

Returnal

Ps5 main SSD:

• Time to game 13.45s
  • Time to move 4min 4s
Samsung 980 Pro:

• Time to game 13.37s
  • Time to move 2m 3s
Ratchet and Clank

Ps5 Main SSD:

• Time to menu 7.51s
  • Time to game 1.79s
  • Time to move 2m33s
Samsung:

• Time to menu 7.55s
  • Time to game 1.86s
  • Time to move 1m4s

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not sure why you're assuming that it'll heat the air being pulled when it has nothing to do with air pulled? Have you checked how air moves around it? It feeds from the air after being pulled from the main fan through small holes and it's not some kind of heater to affect its surroundings. Let's just give this thought a rest until results are shown.
I am having trouble deciphering this post... the air gets pulled, from the SSD area, into the system. You quite literally just says it has nothing to do with air being pulled but then said the air is being pulled so I have no idea what to respond with here lol

And.... yes.. it's a heater for it's surroundings, because the SSD is going to be hotter than it's surroundings lol. SSD's w/ a heatsink can get to upwards of 50c, so unless your room is 50c (ouch) the air will be heated. It's.. just how heat and air work lol

I'm not trying to claim it's some huge deal and will cause problems; but it will cause... heat.. and increased heat.. can increase cooling needs.

The system is designed to run it's fans more in a cold room vs. a hot room too.. the fans are going to run based on temperature, so adding to that temperature can and will effect their speeds.

Last edited:

Md Ray

I'm cross posting from reddit as I think DanCTapirson did an excellent writeup and tests.

UPDATE ON PS5 BENCHMARK:

Ok guys this was very interesting. I decided I would reformat the Samsung 980 Pro to see if the PS5 gave me another number on the benchmark it runs. Lo and behold it did! I don't know how this benchmark works, but it's definitely not consistent. I ran it 4 more times and these are the numbers I got:

• 6072.967 MB/s
  • 5069.494 MB/s
  • 5973.731 MB/s
  • 6213.344 MB/s
UPDATE:

• Read speed: 5751.242 MB/s according to PS5. (I got different results here as mentioned above)
  • Games played with no issue or difference in speed, loading times, performance: Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Rainbow Six Siege
Temperatures were taken in weather of 25°c (77°f), with infrared gun pointing directly at the hottest part of SSD as close as possible. I know the PS5 uses negative airflow to cool the SSD partition, so the enclosure plate was always on, except when I took temperatures and I removed it:

Without Heatsink

With Heatsink

This is the one I got. It comes with a Rubber mount and a screw mount. Just use the screw mount if you get this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PS9S2DZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

IMPORTANT: Before going into the results, I've noticed the 2 exhaust 'holes' Sony mentioned to allow for negative airflow are located on the higher part of the SSD partition to the side of the fan. Image 1, Image 2 As you can see, I took these photos after installing the heatsink. Seems that adding a heatsink makes the heat get closer to these holes, allowing the negative pressure to suck it out of the partition faster. If there's no heatsink installed, the SSD is probably not being "cooled" as efficiently. Just what I think. Now for the results:

Note: The heatsink is dissipating the heat from the hottest area of the SSD to a bigger surface area. I highly recommend getting a heatsink.

Samsung rates the 980 pro at operational between 0-70°c and non operational at -40°c/85°c. I guess it will throttle if it goes higher than 70°c? Not sure as I was measuring ~72°c while playing and experimented no issues. Probably wouldn't be good to run the SSD this hot in the long term.

UPDATE ON SPEEDS:

ok so I timed some speeds on Ratchet and Clank and Returnal. Games load and perform identical as far as I can tell, but what I found interesting is the difference in time it take to move the games to the main SSD or to the Samsung Pro 980.

I don't know why, but moving to Samsung SSD was faster than moving back to main SSD. Does this mean the main SSD is reading faster, or that the Samsung SSD is writing faster? Or both? The games are loading almost identical, so I'm guessing both are reading equally fast. Hopefully DF can provide more insight into this.

Returnal

Ps5 main SSD:

• Time to game 13.45s
  • Time to move 4min 4s
Samsung 980 Pro:

• Time to game 13.37s
  • Time to move 2m 3s
Ratchet and Clank

Ps5 Main SSD:

• Time to menu 7.51s
  • Time to game 1.79s
  • Time to move 2m33s
Samsung:

• Time to menu 7.55s
  • Time to game 1.86s
  • Time to move 1m4s

Thanks for sharing this with the non-Redditors. Really helps.
My guess is that the read speeds were the priority for Sony. Makes sense given how the PS5s I/O is used.
Also likely to cut costs where necessary.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I am having trouble deciphering this post... the air gets pulled, from the SSD area, into the system. You quite literally just says it has nothing to do with air being pulled but then said the air is being pulled so I have no idea what to respond with here lol

And.... yes.. it's a heater for it's surroundings, because the SSD is going to be hotter than it's surroundings lol. SSD's w/ a heatsink can get to upwards of 50c, so unless your room is 50c (ouch) the air will be heated. It's.. just how heat and air work lol

I'm not trying to claim it's some huge deal and will cause problems; but it will cause... heat.. and increased heat.. can increase cooling needs.

The system is designed to run it's fans more in a cold room vs. a hot room too.. the fans are going to run based on temperature, so adding to that temperature can and will effect their speeds.

Ok, now let's wait for the results then.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You have a point there, but personally I would pay the extra. Expensive indeed.

graywolf323

Gold Member

dang, that's nuts

at least on Western Digital's US store the price difference was only $20

Honestly I would rather buy the ones with the heatsinks. It's worth it, it's designed around it.

It's worth If It's designed arround it.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Yeah sure 345€ 2TB with out the heatsink and 500€ with the heatsink because Bo thinks you need the heatsink that comes with the Drive.

Are you kidding me??

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah sure 345€ 2TB with out the heatsink and 500€ with the heatsink because Bo thinks you need the heatsink that comes with the Drive.

Are you kidding me??

It's pretty steep indeed, and a rip off. But if you can afford it, why not? To me I won't buy an SSD because the internal one is enough + good internet speed with no caps if I need to download something again. If I ever upgrade it'll be 512GB or 1TB max.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Are you kidding me??
Thing is that until the stocks started to run out the surcharge for the 1TB mode to have the heat sink was relatively small al in all.

Thing is that until the stocks started to run out the surcharge for the 1TB mode to have the heat sink was relatively small al in all.

If you buy from Amazon The heatsink rip off is constantly. And who says that the included heatsink is really that great?

I found a video where a guy compared different heatsinks.

The best reviewed are the Aquacomputer Cyro M and the Silverstone TP02.

So I'm not paying 165€ extra just because someone asumes that the integrated heatsink is better.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

UPDATE ON PS5 BENCHMARK:

• 6072.967 MB/s
  • 5069.494 MB/s
  • 5973.731 MB/s
  • 6213.344 MB/s
UPDATE:

Without Heatsink

With Heatsink

UPDATE ON SPEEDS:

Returnal

Ps5 main SSD:

• Time to game 13.45s
  • Time to move 4min 4s
Samsung 980 Pro:

• Time to game 13.37s
  • Time to move 2m 3s
Ratchet and Clank

Ps5 Main SSD:

• Time to menu 7.51s
  • Time to game 1.79s
  • Time to move 2m33s
Samsung:

• Time to menu 7.55s
  • Time to game 1.86s
  • Time to move 1m4s

I honestly think this deserves its own thread. Impressive work and analysis!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you buy from Amazon The heatsink rip off is constantly. And who says that the included heatsink is really that great?

So I'm not paying 165€ extra just because someone asumes that the integrated heatsink is better.

Then do not… I got it from WD’s website and the markup price for the heatsink was quite low.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Nice review, just peel off the sticker before putting a heatsink. Heck, I peeled off mine without a heatsink (PC) and usually idles around 41C and gets around 59C in that stress test. The old 970 Pro (Gen 3).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is a great fucking video. The guy literally installs the ssd in under a minute while talking at the camera without even looking.

He also brings up a great point about Sony's solution for the ssd expansions not being proprietary. I feel like I am living in an alternate reality where proprietary solutions are celebrated. If you dont want to buy a 1TB ssd, you can easily just go and get a 256 GB for much cheaper. Not to mention the fact that the PS5 ssd is almost 3x more powerful. Of course its going to be more expensive. Hell, the one Cerny mentioned is $200 for 1TB so cheaper than the MS solution for their 2.4 GBps drive.

And lastly, he talks about how the biggest problem with this is Sony's marketing and communication. I feel like a broken record at this point, but their communication or lack thereof is infuriating. Their lack of communication for everything from game events to vrr support to now SSD support has been shockingly poor. Maybe they were going to have a list of compatible SSDs after the update was released to public, maybe not, but they shouldve just put a blogpost out for their beta testers. It's such a simple thing that it's mind boggling that a U.S based company can be so out of touch. They run the Playstation business out of San Mateo next to silicon valley. It's not even like we can blame it on the Japanese execs being out of touch.

Other than that, Sony should be celebrated for offering more choices and a true next gen SSD. Now if they dont deliver on that SSD promise and it turns out this expensive piece of tech would only be used for 1 second faster loading then we can go back and rip Cerny a new one. But right now, I really dont see whats so hard about installing this thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom