• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Official PS5 SSD Installation Guide

GHG

Sorry Sony, I already know how to open up this big boy.

TVEArK8.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Upgrade ability is great you need to have that feature for consoles I would have loved an easier pull out mechanism.

skit_data

I’ll probably wait a few years before getting an M.2 SSD. I’m not really in a rush. By the time i feel the need to get one the prices will have settled a lot lower.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Speaking of SSD, PS5 compression system is doing amazing work.

Screenshot_2021-09-14_at_14.47.19.png

credit to Kenzodielocke from the other side.
They need to sort out their loading times, I played my bother the other night and his PS4 Pro was loading the game faster then PS5, that's not right.
And before people say it's maybe internet related, he's running BT's 70mb internet which he barely gets 30mb and I'm running Virgins 250mg
Which averages at 170mb at peak times.
There's no reason his game should be loading in faster then me.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Giv fldrs plz sny.

Thats the thing they will actually add but I really want advanced video output options similar to what Xbox has but even better, like a combo of Xbox and Win10.

I want 8-bit + dithering support so I (and most other TV owners) can do HDR@4K@60fps and still keep 444/RGB, even on true 10-bit panel sets (like I own) it doesn't seem to make a massive difference whether its dithered 8-bit vs true 10-bit input - I'm guessing because most game HDR presentations rarely use the increased colour gamut of BT2020 anyway so far so most of the time everything is contained within the BT709 range - compared to how much dynamic range/top end brightness that is lost in the HDR when from going from 444/RGB to 422, as shown by Vincent Teoh here (To be honest I still don't understand why this happens so if you are in the know then PM so we can discuss it please):

The sun's brightness is being limited to ~790 nits there instead of being 1000+ nits with the RGB output, thats fine for OLEDs where thats actually around the peak brightness anyway so they would be tonemapping anything over that down to the sets capabilities, but I have an LCD that reaches 1700 nits so it makes a big difference to lose all that dynamic range.

I want it to be an advanced video options menu (put a warning on entering it so regular people don't mess things up) with the choice of 8-bit, 10-bit and 8-bit + dithering so HDMI 2.0 users can get that full RGB output without having to sacrifice 4K and go down to 1080p. On top of that being able to force send a 1080p or 1440p signal at 120hz for TVs that support that would be great too, that would also have the side effect of allowing HDMI 2.0 users to output 1440p + 60hz + HDR to get full RGB if they wanted.

kyliethicc

Giv fldrs plz sny.

Thats the thing they will actually add but I really want advanced video output options similar to what Xbox has but even better, like a combo of Xbox and Win10.

I want 8-bit + dithering support so I (and most other TV owners) can do HDR@4K@60fps and still keep 444/RGB, even on true 10-bit panel sets (like I own) it doesn't seem to make a massive difference whether its dithered 8-bit vs true 10-bit input - I'm guessing because most game HDR presentations rarely use the increased colour gamut of BT2020 anyway so far so most of the time everything is contained within the BT709 range - compared to how much dynamic range/top end brightness that is lost in the HDR when from going from 444/RGB to 422, as shown by Vincent Teoh here (To be honest I still don't understand why this happens so if you are in the know then PM so we can discuss it please):

The sun's brightness is being limited to ~790 nits there instead of being 1000+ nits with the RGB output, thats fine for OLEDs where thats actually around the peak brightness anyway so they would be tonemapping anything over that down to the sets capabilities, but I have an LCD that reaches 1700 nits so it makes a big difference to lose all that dynamic range.

I want it to be an advanced video options menu (put a warning on entering it so regular people don't mess things up) with the choice of 8-bit, 10-bit and 8-bit + dithering so HDMI 2.0 users can get that full RGB output without having to sacrifice 4K and go down to 1080p. On top of that being able to force send a 1080p or 1440p signal at 120hz for TVs that support that would be great too, that would also have the side effect of allowing HDMI 2.0 users to output 1440p + 60hz + HDR to get full RGB if they wanted.

None of this ... will ever happen lol.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Speaking of SSD, PS5 compression system is doing amazing work.

Screenshot_2021-09-14_at_14.47.19.png

credit to Kenzodielocke from the other side.
It's the same thing? Besides Xbox obviously supports OODLE Kraken (for example that one patch for Control, which made the game half the size on Xbox and like 1/3 on PS5, that due to with no performance hit you can select and more aggressive preset), but it's obviously not able to ASIC-ally decode it. But this seems really extreme. But as I've stated before these console even released, Xbox not going catch up with Sony this game in terms of game size installs. And look, it's not like I wasn't getting shit for that in that holy thread of Next-Gen discussion, but I guess being close/directly into development of the games helps. Well so far it was just one big game, but hopefully #soon will be more.

3liteDragon

It's the same thing? Besides Xbox obviously supports OODLE Kraken (for example that one patch for Control, which made the game half the size on Xbox and like 1/3 on PS5, that due to with no performance hit you can select and more aggressive preset), but it's obviously not able to ASIC-ally decode it. But this seems really extreme. But as I've stated before these console even released, Xbox not going catch up with Sony this game in terms of game size installs. And look, it's not like I wasn't getting shit for that in that holy thread of Next-Gen discussion, but I guess being close/directly into development of the games helps. Well so far it was just one big game, but hopefully #soon will be more.
Both the Xbox One & Series X could support Oodle Kraken but they would have to run & decompress that kind of data on their CPUs since they don't have a dedicated ASIC for that kind of decompression.

twilo99

It only took 10 months, not bad! If this was the competition the media would've buried them.

Congrats to the Sony engineers for finally getting it work..

Top Bottom