• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony No Longer Labels PS5 'World's Fastest Console'

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When it comes to hyping up new consoles, the years have shown that companies will say anything to get ahead in the race. Last week, Sony said the PS5 would be the "world's fastest console" and now it is already walking that statement back.

While Sony didn't come out on a stage and proclaim the PlayStation 5 as the greatest, fastest console ever made it did say so in a job listing posted last week. A Senior Cloud Engineer Manager position opening described the PS5 as the world's fastest console, but the posting was later updated with the line removed. Maybe Sony is not so sure that Microsoft won't be offering a console that will outclass the PS5.

It was not just the statement of being the "fastest console" that Sony redacted from the description. Any mention of the PS5 was also removed from the listing, with an updated description mentioning “managing distributed systems that are powering 100+ million PS4 consoles that deliver immersive gaming experiences.”

All signs point to the fact that it will be the fastest console being true, so it seems clear that Sony is hedging its bets by using this language. The PlayStation 5 is reported to have an SSD and x86-64-AMD Ryzen Zen 2 CPU featuring 8 total cores and 16 total threads. It's shaping up to be a very powerful console with a focus on making load times shorter for players. This will allow developers to make games with open, interconnected environments that won't be riddled with loads from one area to the next. While it won't completely eliminate loads, Sony claims the PS5 is going to make load times much faster for the next generation of console gamers.

spons

Gold Member
Seems premature to call this the fastest when both it and the competition haven't even been fully revealed yet. I'm sure the engineers working there are proud of their work, but this made no sense.

Rayderism

Maybe they've dialed back some specs after determining how much it would end up costing, not only to make, but what they'd have to charge consumers.

spons

Gold Member
Maybe they've dialed back some specs after determining how much it would end up costing, not only to make, but what they'd have to charge consumers.
Doubt it, it's most likely a fuck up from someone in marketing. When you have the choice between working for the best or the second-best, who the fucks goes for the latter? After all, job listings need to sell you on working for them.

That title of fastest console is always a temporary state of affair anyway.

Worse comes to worse the company that has the slower machine release it a couple of days before the other next gen console in order to be able to claim the championship belt for a little while.

I guess that's fair. Aside of base PS4/base XBO MS's traditionally had the more powerful system between the two, but Sony's have had a few areas where they've had tech advantage (PS2: particle fillrate. PS3: Cell SPE's and blu-ray drive). And MS's recently gone back to pushing for a power advantage with the X, I don't see why they'd give that up for Scarlett.

That said, Sony's not the one that really needs the title "most powerful console"; they already have their audience with their ecosystem and MS's the one that needs those titles to hope to claim some of that audience share as their own for next-gen. That said I don't think the power difference between the two is going to be gargantuan. In overall power it will probably be less than XBO to PS4. But I'm more interested in the customizations they're both doing because we could see one system have a very clear advantage in a specific area over the other that way.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Power means nothing, and I’ll say a Lomé often said by Sony bots here, but if you don’t have the games, there’s no point even chatting about power advantages. The X is by far the most powerful console right now, but because devs would rather support the Playstation, it doesn’t see much from that. Also what you have to remember is that for all the amazing tech in the X, the base consoles are what really hold things back.

I still, every year, play classic games from classic hardware. Power makes no difference there. But a game like, let’s say Donkey Kong Country, is infinitely more playable than most tripe released today.

I do strongly believe the next Xbox will be more powerful. I really do. But unless they chase better more intense marketing deals (I only ever see play action adverts on tv/YouTube), better exclusive games, better talent, and actively try to win some of that 360 era good will back, it will all be for nothing. They aren’t going up against Nintendo here, they are going up against Sony, and that’s like going uk against Ali in his prime... Winnable, but it’s going to take a fuck ton of work in the right way to even make a dent.

zenspider

I don't know if this is their thinking, but framing your narrative on power is 1)an easy battle to lose in the current mid-gen refresh paradigm, and 2) an old idea in the new market - streaming devices, devices like Switch, smartphones, and VR out of the box -consumers are more than willing to sacrifice power for utility.

With diminishing returns and so much vying for our attention, power is not a very compelling story right now.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

It was a job ad that people rapidly went nuts and extrapolated over the internets lol,... It was never marketing advertisement.

and PS6

mejin

Power means nothing, and I’ll say a Lomé often said by Sony bots here, but if you don’t have the games, there’s no point even chatting about power advantages. The X is by far the most powerful console right now, but because devs would rather support the Playstation, it doesn’t see much from that. Also what you have to remember is that for all the amazing tech in the X, the base consoles are what really hold things back.

I still, every year, play classic games from classic hardware. Power makes no difference there. But a game like, let’s say Donkey Kong Country, is infinitely more playable than most tripe released today.

I do strongly believe the next Xbox will be more powerful. I really do. But unless they chase better more intense marketing deals (I only ever see play action adverts on tv/YouTube), better exclusive games, better talent, and actively try to win some of that 360 era good will back, it will all be for nothing. They aren’t going up against Nintendo here, they are going up against Sony, and that’s like going uk against Ali in his prime... Winnable, but it’s going to take a fuck ton of work in the right way to even make a dent.

If they launch together, chances are 50/50 I would say. Maybe a slightly advantage for Sony cause hardware is way more important to them than MS. Games has the biggest piece on Sony revenues by now and this is the biggest reason for them to care way more about their gaming business than MS.

MS is too focused on services, maybe they even acknowledge Stadia as a bigger menace than Sony. Since 2013 they never stood a chance against Sony in the traditional market and the whole new strategies and focus came through out this gen.

Top Bottom