• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to make Astro Bot the official PlayStation mascot and invest significantly in Team Asobi

Should Astro become the official PS mascot

• Yes

Votes: 175 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 21.9%

• Total voters

Elcid

Banned
I am sorely disappointed after platinuming the game, it’s missing the revision for the PSVR PS4 camera AND a Vita memory card. Where the hell can I complain to these jerks? One job.

Romulus

Most people don't realize that AstroBot had his first outing in VR in the demo disc with a few original levels. Then the crown jewel was the full VR game AstroBot Rescue Mission which was AMAZING. Too bad most people don't know about this game and most have not played it. It is an experience in VR. Even as much (and more than) the Astro's Playroom tech demo 'game'. If anyone has VR or can get it cheap, try Rescue Mission!

Probably will go down as one the best games that no one got to play. Theres only about 6 million PSVRs.

Tschumi

Here's a follow-up question: what kind of game would they be able to upgrade to making with huge investment?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Toro-Bottle.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They have it.......Astrobot Rescue Mission.

Yeah, which is awesome and 1/2 of the reason I want a bigger game. Rescue was short and relatively cheap. Non-VR and something along the scope of Sackboy would be great.

SkylineRKR

Astrobot games are of EAD quality. Peak EAD. They're that good. Astro is also much more likeable than Sackboy. Astro puts on a VR, or plays with the Vita. And it looks al very believable because he essentially lives inside the console.

Astro doesn't really feel like Mario to me, it feels like Ape Escape. Which I also liked a ton.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Astrobot games are of EAD quality. Peak EAD. They're that good. Astro is also much more likeable than Sackboy. Astro puts on a VR, or plays with the Vita. And it looks al very believable because he essentially lives inside the console.

Astro doesn't really feel like Mario to me, it feels like Ape Escape. Which I also liked a ton.

I loaded up Tearaway on my Vita and... there is something weird and unsetting about it, and MM games in general. It's tough to put my finger on it, but I think it is the same thing that you mention here. I haven't played the Astro VR game or this, but yea, I don't know if Sackxir (thanks TheSixthAxis) can do mascot duty.

Last edited:

Eternal21

I think the mascot should be related to something that Sony does best, and that's 3rd person AAA adventure games, like Uncharted. Nathan Drake would be my choice.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think the mascot should be related to something that Sony does best, and that's 3rd person AAA adventure games, like Uncharted. Nathan Drake would be my choice.

Did you play Uncharted 4?

There's probably not going to be many Nathan Drake games going forward

Last edited:

Eternal21

Did you play Uncharted 4?

There's probably not going to be many Nathan Drake games going forward
I played and 100% every single ND game. They can always do prequels. And with the movie coming out in the summer, the mascot makes even more sense.

deafmedal

I do it for you
I’m your GPU
I was finally able to set my PS5 up and after updates and checking out the store and dashboard I fired up Playroom and picked this level first and cannot get this damn song out of my head. That wall with the lyrics is a nice touch, hope the other levels have good tunes.

Really nice pack in. I didn’t bother with PSVR so this is my first real experience with the IP and I find the lil robits quite charming, really fitting of the aesthetic Sony has gone with. Perhaps not official, but Astro will be my mascot for the time being. Kudos!

I was finally able to set my PS5 up and after updates and checking out the store and dashboard I fired up Playroom and picked this level first and cannot get this damn song out of my head. That wall with the lyrics is a nice touch, hope the other levels have good tunes.

Really nice pack in. I didn’t bother with PSVR so this is my first real experience with the IP and I find the lil robits quite charming, really fitting of the aesthetic Sony has gone with. Perhaps not official, but Astro will be my mascot for the time being. Kudos!

Did you see the screen of the guy singing it ?

Magog.

Banned
They are good games but don't shackle the team to Astrobot. It's the devs that made the games that made them great. If they want to make another Astrobot cool but if they want to make something else don't shackle them to the IP. Give them lots of time and a big budget to make the game of their dreams.

Yoboman

They are good games but don't shackle the team to Astrobot. It's the devs that made the games that made them great. If they want to make another Astrobot cool but if they want to make something else don't shackle them to the IP. Give them lots of time and a big budget to make the game of their dreams.
Strike while the iron is hot. A lot of people getting their first exposure to Astro and loving it, a full fledged AAA budget game would really cement the IP

Aenima

I dont really care about mascots, but i do want them to invest in Team Asobi for a big Astro game for PS5.

Astro's Playroom was the most enjoyable platformer i played and i dont even like platformers that much. For a free game, it kicks the ass of many full priced games.

Enjay

Banned
Finally got around to playing this overhyped bullshit on my kid's PS5 and the only reason so many kids (under 10 and over 40) drool over it so much is cause it "celebrates" playstation by having you collect them throughout the stages.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OMg I just finished this. Why do I have teary eyes ?!
The game is amazing. The triggers work, the haptic works.
The motion sensor gimmicks are a bit tooo much but none of it overstayed it's welcome. I will try to 100% it.
The gpu song alone won the generation, so good

Top Bottom