• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to make Astro Bot the official PlayStation mascot and invest significantly in Team Asobi

Should Astro become the official PS mascot

• Yes

Votes: 175 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 21.9%

• Total voters

Boss Mog

Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom are both amazing games that generate a sense of awe and wonderment that players rarely get to experience these days. Team Asobi has managed to create games that have that Nintendo magic, something I never thought I'd see outside of Nintendo. The Astro games are so polished, smooth and full of intricate details, you can really sense the love from the devs who poured so much into making them.

A team this talented could definitely create a few other beloved franchises or even Astro Bot spin-offs (I'd buy Astro Kart in a second). Woldwide Studios has got the third person action adventure games down, but I feel like Sony should invest more into Japan Studio as there's a lot of really great and unique games that put a smile on my face which come out of there.

Hopefully the fact that Astro's Playroom is included with every PS5 will get more people to appreciate the franchise and Team Asobi. Resuce Mission was a masterpiece but too few people got to experience it due to the necessity of having a PSVR to play it. Even though I have Miles Morales I really couldn't put Astro's Playroom down until I got the Platinum trophy, that's how great it was. I just want more and more of this franchise.

No matter if it was Crash, Spyro, Jak or Ratchet, none of them ever really felt like the PlayStation mascot, something always felt off, but with Astro it just feels right. It's like they finally have their Mario or their Sonic. What do you guys think?

39891228293_13c532f352_o.gif

timmyp53

There simply has to be another Astrobot VR game. It's such a shame tens of millions of gamers have missed out on a game that is pure unadulterated magical happiness!
Aint nobody got a VR headset my dude. Ill probably get mk. 2 though.

The games might be great, but the character is pretty shit... Same with Sackboy.

I think whenever companies try and force a ‘mascot’ it never seems to work. Let the players decide.

JimiNutz

Banned
The moment I saw the PS5 I thought this was the plan based on the colour choices for the system.

PSVR already looked very much like AstroBot and Rescue Mission is arguably it's best game and now PS5 also looks like PSVR/AstroBot and comes bundled with Playroom as well.

Sony do also have Sackboy and Ratchet & Clank but I think AstroBot is the best candidate for a cutesy mascot.

One thing is certain we need more AstroBot games ASAP.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sackboy been around longer

4 main games already

Astrobot is look like a demo character and a barely a new character, not many people know this thing

You need peoples recognition to make a mascot

I also think Sackboy is cutter than Astrobot

Last edited:
Why should there BE a mascot in the first place? What is this 1991?

Mascots were a bait for kids to pester their parents into buying consoles/games this is no longer needed IMO in this modern era, all you need is the new COD on your system and it'll sell.

Resenge

Sackboy been around longer

4 main games already

Astrobot is look like a demo character and a barely a new character, not many people know this thing

You need peoples recognition to make a mascot

I also think Sackboy is cutter than Astrobot
The PS5 and to a lesser extent the PSVR has made him a recognisable character. Astro-Bot is definitely Sony's new mascot and rightfully so imo.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom are both amazing games that generate a sense of awe and wonderment that players rarely get to experience these days. Team Asobi has managed to create games that have that Nintendo magic, something I never thought I'd see outside of Nintendo. The Astro games are so polished, smooth and full of intricate details, you can really sense the love from the devs who poured so much into making them.

A team this talented could definitely create a few other beloved franchises or even Astro Bot spin-offs (I'd buy Astro Kart in a second). Woldwide Studios has got the third person action adventure games down, but I feel like Sony should invest more into Japan Studio as there's a lot of really great and unique games that put a smile on my face which come out of there.

Hopefully the fact that Astro's Playroom is included with every PS5 will get more people to appreciate the franchise and Team Asobi. Resuce Mission was a masterpiece but too few people got to experience it due to the necessity of having a PSVR to play it. Even though I have Miles Morales I really couldn't put Astro's Playroom down until I got the Platinum trophy, that's how great it was. I just want more and more of this franchise.

No matter if it was Crash, Spyro, Jak or Ratchet, none of them ever really felt like the PlayStation mascot, something always felt off, but with Astro it just feels right. It's like they finally have their Mario or their Sonic. What do you guys think?

39891228293_13c532f352_o.gif

Makes full sense because the game itself circulates around PlayStation. But PS has lots of iconic figures, and can see Kratos being the leading one now, but not as a mascot.

Last edited:
Honestly the days of Mascots are pretty much over, but they definitely should consider making a much more significant game using Astrobot IP, but not VR.

Pejo

Totally agree OP. The Astro Bot series would be a system seller in a perfect world. Sackboy and LBP in general never took off like I'm sure they hoped it would, and now it's just basically a big canvas for idpol crap. It makes me sad that the team is so talented and the IP has so much potential, but it gets squandered as demos and pack-ins. I'll continue to buy anything they put out though, because I can only vote with my wallet on this one.

Keihart

Sackboy felt flat, it barely did a dent in the mind share and had some serious push.
Astrobot has being having very modest pushes and appearances but it's already the unofficial PS mascot.

Can't fake this shit up, i hope they cash it in.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Counter Opinion: Investing in a team that makes 3D platformers wouldn't be wise as the genre has a clear and low ceiling for commercial success.

Saber

Gold Member
Well, that something you say that I can agree with. The design is charming, with no age gap(meaning everyone can enjoy) and can be basically anything in terms of design. Would be a smart move if you ask me.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Counter Opinion: Investing in a team that makes 3D platformers wouldn't be wise as the genre has a clear and low ceiling for commercial success.

Depends on how much the investment is. If it's inexpensive and that low ceiling still provides ROI, it broadens your catalog and appeal. Not everything needs to be Uncharted or God Of War.

my PSN avatar lol

Love the guest appearance in Hot Shots Golf.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Depends on how much the investment is. If it's inexpensive and that low ceiling still provides ROI, it broadens your catalog and appeal. Not everything needs to be Uncharted or God Of War.

Love the guest appearance in Hot Shots Golf.

Yeah, I just took issue with the "invest significantly" in the OP.

Adobi seems like a nice little studio. I'm not particularly impressed with them because their claim to fame is basically creating a Sony platformer that feels like Mario.

"Significant investment" should go towards Arrowhead Studio or building up a multiplayer only studio at Naughty Dog or Guerilla Games. Those are the types of studios Sony needs right now.

Kuranghi

Hopefully they will use the completion/playtime metrics for Astro's Playroom to see that people would like sequel.

Top Bottom