• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony - Most played PS5 Games since launch by hours played [Only PS5 Skus counted]

Topher

Gold Member
Astro's Playroom not even cracking the top 10 is sad. It's the best game on the system.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Hezekiah

Banned
It's funny looking at the list wars, around here only to never watch them line up with reality.

Member when ppl thought Godfall and Destruction All Stars were a big deal?

I do.
Who was bigging up Destruction All-Stars? Or did you just make that up?

It amazes me that people who post on a gaming forum are surprised that Fortnite, CoD, and sports are top of the most played games list, and try to downplay exclusives as a result. Or maybe they're being deliberately obtuse, and trying to hide their insecurities 🤔.

And then they would be playing inferior versions of those games though, right? Exclusives are not the primary reason most people buy consoles.
This is not a the most amount of people list, but those who play the most.... The list would probably be a bit different if it counted unit sales as opposed to hours played (how many hours will you spend on TLoU 2 etc. in a year? even if you replay it 3 times).

The games that you play online like fortnite, CoD, the sports titles, etc. are important for "engagement" and they allow for a constant stream of money to come in with the addons (which is not something I like).

these are not excuses, these games are very popular.
What a waste
Money is no object.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Not sure what people find surprising. It's based on cumulative gameplay hours, of course it's going to be dominated by multiplayer and sports games.
The vast majority of people play through single player once. Did people think the average player spent more time playing 10 hours long ratchet than COD, Fortnite or Fifa?

I mostly play single player games, all my favorite games are single player and around 90% of my time playing videogames is done on single player games.
I still have more cumulative gameplay hours on Rocket Legue than any single player game last gen.
The vast majority of players don’t even play single player games, and out of the ones that do, the large majority don’t even finish even the short 8-10 hour ones. Those are the facts based on sales figures and trophy/achievement percentages.

What it means is that more people buy, play, and continue to play multiplayer games, especially live service ones, compared to single player games. SinglePlayerGAF needs to just accept this and move on rather than continually trying to shift goal posts and make excuses. Some things are just more popular than others, doesn’t mean you’re wrong for liking the less popular things.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The vast majority of players don’t even play single player games, and out of the ones that do, the large majority don’t even finish even the short 8-10 hour ones. Those are the facts based on sales figures and trophy/achievement percentages.

What it means is that more people buy, okay, and continue to play multiplayer games, especially live service ones, compared to single player games. SinglePlayerGAF needs to just accept this and move on rather than continually trying to shift goal posts and make excuses. Some things are just more popular than others, doesn’t mean you’re wrong for liking the less popular things.
Yup.

To me, that shows a lot of people waste their money paying $60-70 on short SP games (assuming they buy at regular price which most games have frontloaded sales at launch) if they cant even get through 10 hour games. Now if it's a long slog game like GTA or Skyrim with tons of branching paths and content that's different. Content overload. Or burnout. But for those traditional "beat it over the weekend" games, if they cant be bothered to finish it, that's pretty odd.

Yet, I bet many of those same people have no problem sinking in 100s of repetitive hours in FIFA or a shooter. Go figure.

It's not like the average game is so hard (like a Darks Souls game) that it's impossible for most gamers to beat a 10 hour game. They just lose interest fast and then boot up Fortnite or COD.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Check the trophies\achievemnents for multiplayer titles. Most gamers do not stick around and play it for too long.

The vast majority of games sold on consoles are single-player titles.

If there's a multiplayer game with offline content, casuals often spend their time playing offline. This is why most people who purchase fighting games prefer offline modes.

Tschumi

Those poor souls who are addicted to these multiplayer games play them to unhealthy extents, makes sense that hours put in by hordes of addicts outstrip hours put in to single player games. I played wow for about 200x the hours of my next most played games. Doesn't mean those other games sucked.

Airbus Jr

Banned

What it means is that more people buy, play, and continue to play multiplayer games, especially live service ones, compared to single player games. SinglePlayerGAF needs to just accept this and move on rather than continually trying to shift goal posts and make excuses. Some things are just more popular than others, doesn’t mean you’re wrong for liking the less popular things.
You xboxers seems to be hellbend on convincing everyone that single player game is dead

You do you if you want to ran circle playing multiplayer game 24/7

I want my single player game next year like elden ring gran turismo dead space and horizon forbiden west

Have a nice day

Last edited:

Genshin Impact didn't even make the list here and people seem to be shocked by it, but there's an obvious reason why. It's a mobile gache game at heart. Some will log in daily just to do their rewards for half an hour at tops, others will wait until their next pay check so they can spin the wheel of waifu and that's their play time for the month.

But if this was top 10 games by revenue then Genshin would be at the top, because you don't need millions of people to play your game to generate the most revenue, just like Demon's Souls didn't need to be a best selling game to be on this list

Context matters, and ignoring context just so you can spout the typical "you're just moving goal post" rhetoric makes you a fool.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Why are people responding like this is some major statement about single player games? It simply isn't. The fact that these exact same games show up on every list of sold, most player, etc. is a statement about where casuals spend most of their time. There is no "gotcha" here as some would like to believe.

But let's talk about the two Sony exclusive games here: Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. Two games a lot of people have tried to downplay all year long that made this list. So if we are going to make broad statements going by this list then those naysayers have egg on their face as the "it is just DLC" and "who wants to play a 13 year old game" narratives did not play out the way they thought, now did it?

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Why are people responding like this is some major statement about single player games? It simply isn't. The fact that these exact same games show up on every list of sold, most player, etc. is a statement about where casuals spend most of their time. There is no "gotcha" here as some would like to believe.

But let's talk about the two Sony exclusive games here: Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. Two games a lot of people have tried to downplay all year long that made this list. So if we are going to make broad statements going by this list then those naysayers have egg on their face as the "it is just DLC" and "who wants to play a 13 year old game" narratives did not play out the way though, now did it?

well is a list of PS5 games eh...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

But let's talk about the two Sony exclusive games here: Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. Two games a lot of people have tried to downplay all year long that made this list. So if we are going to make broad statements going by this list then those naysayers have egg on their face as the "it is just DLC" and "who wants to play a 13 year old game" narratives did not play out the way though, now did it?

Told You So Mic Drop GIF by FullMag

Lots of console war cunting in this thread by the usual derpy tits. Speaking out of both sides of their brain bowls.

Last edited:
The "vast majority" of players play single player and multiplayer. There's nothing in an achievement/trophy percentage that says that players don't play single player games. Look at your friends list and I promise you that the "vast majority" play both.

Hezekiah

Banned
The "vast majority" of players play single player and multiplayer. There's nothing in an achievement/trophy percentage that says that players don't play single player games. Look at your friends list and I promise you that the "vast majority" play both.
Precisely.

Also people suggesting that single-player games might be a 'waste of money', are forgetting that many of the people who waste their time on crap like Fortnite, CoD or even recent AC games are spending plenty on microtransactions on a single experience.

Flutta

Banned
Who was bigging up Destruction All-Stars? Or did you just make that up?

It amazes me that people who post on a gaming forum are surprised that Fortnite, CoD, and sports are top of the most played games list, and try to downplay exclusives as a result. Or maybe they're being deliberately obtuse, and trying to hide their insecurities 🤔.
Those who say exclusives don’t matter are usually people that owns a system with barely any exclusives. 😝

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amazing. MLB The Show came out in April, is US centric and sold way fewer copies than Spiderman MM, yet has more hours played than it. Nobody knows how many copies sold on PS5, but PS4+PS5 sales were 2 million copies as of the summer. PS5 versions might only be half a million. Maybe even less since there's 120 million PS4s.

aries_71

The list is interesting, but we are missing the most important thing: numbers. It would be interesting to see if, as I suspect, there’s a big chasm between the first three games in the list and the last ones. That would make the comparison more meaningful.

Top Bottom