• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony May Be Working to Make Old Peripherals Compatible with Modern PlayStation Consoles

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A patent filed on June 30, 2022 by Sony Interactive Entertainment titled “Systems and Methods For Converting A Legacy Code Into An Updated Code” outlines a video game emulation process that Sony may potentially employ in the near future. Full of technical jargon, it’s not easily deciphered by those not in the know, though one interesting addition comes in the form of a diagram that apparently outlines methods to emulate software that made use of old PlayStation peripherals like the EyeToy, the PS Mouse, PSP Go, and something labeled a “legacy card reader.”

It’s hard to know exactly what Sony may have in mind, but this does seem to indicate that official emulation of legacy PlaySation content will one day be so thorough as to include physical memory card support. That sounds so meticulous as to be almost unnecessary, and, coming from a company that apparently opted to forego PS3 emulation on PS5, it doesn't seem like priority. Still, memory cards were an important part of the fifth and sixth console generations, and, aggravating as they were, some gamers might argue that there's value in returning to these old-school traditions.

The same diagram also includes what appears to be a PlayStation Move controller, which has a few interesting implications. Initially released in 2010, PlayStation Move was initially intended as a competitor to Microsoft Kinect, though the controllers also shipped alongside Sony’s PSVR headsets when they debuted in 2016. Sony recently reaffirmed its commitment to PSVR and virtual reality gaming, so, though the headset is not represented in the diagram, this could indicate a precedent for some kind of future integration.

Beyond that, the appearance of a PS3-era peripheral alongside documentation concerning legacy PlayStation emulation should have some fans excited. Sony’s intent with this patent isn’t explicitly clear, but this does seem to imply that PS3 PlayStation Move games may be returning in some form.

PS-Patent.jpg

AREYOUOKAY?

If you make something that lets me play PS1,2,3 disc on the PS5 I'll buy it. It's not too much of a crazy concept since that Polymega thing does something like it for various systems. Maybe that's what number 1406 is with the 3 slots?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

A patent filed on June 30, 2022 by Sony Interactive Entertainment titled “Systems and Methods For Converting A Legacy Code Into An Updated Code” outlines a video game emulation process that Sony may potentially employ in the near future. Full of technical jargon, it’s not easily deciphered by those not in the know, though one interesting addition comes in the form of a diagram that apparently outlines methods to emulate software that made use of old PlayStation peripherals like the EyeToy, the PS Mouse, PSP Go, and something labeled a “legacy card reader.”

It’s hard to know exactly what Sony may have in mind, but this does seem to indicate that official emulation of legacy PlaySation content will one day be so thorough as to include physical memory card support. That sounds so meticulous as to be almost unnecessary, and, coming from a company that apparently opted to forego PS3 emulation on PS5, it doesn't seem like priority. Still, memory cards were an important part of the fifth and sixth console generations, and, aggravating as they were, some gamers might argue that there's value in returning to these old-school traditions.

The same diagram also includes what appears to be a PlayStation Move controller, which has a few interesting implications. Initially released in 2010, PlayStation Move was initially intended as a competitor to Microsoft Kinect, though the controllers also shipped alongside Sony’s PSVR headsets when they debuted in 2016. Sony recently reaffirmed its commitment to PSVR and virtual reality gaming, so, though the headset is not represented in the diagram, this could indicate a precedent for some kind of future integration.

Beyond that, the appearance of a PS3-era peripheral alongside documentation concerning legacy PlayStation emulation should have some fans excited. Sony’s intent with this patent isn’t explicitly clear, but this does seem to imply that PS3 PlayStation Move games may be returning in some form.

PS-Patent.jpg
Do you have the patent link?

I only see these two patents, filed in 2021 and published in 2022, that match the title posted in the article:
JxwOkHV.jpg
2Qh25iw.jpg

Last edited:
So when will we be able to use ds4 on PS5 for ps5 games? Because glorified vibrations and trigger resistance aren't something that prevents us from using ds4 controllers, or at least it shouldn't be.
Weird thing is, you actually can, but just when you are doing remote play. I have my ds4 connected to my laptop and use it all the time to play ps5 from the next room via pc remote play.
They should patch it to run natively though, I agree

So when will we be able to use ds4 on PS5 for ps5 games? Because glorified vibrations and trigger resistance aren't something that prevents us from using ds4 controllers, or at least it shouldn't be.
Oh God why would you even want to do that? I understand for PS4 games but the DualSense has ruined me. Every time
I play a game without the triggers or haptics the game feels ‘less’.

Kagey K

Banned
Oh God why would you even want to do that? I understand for PS4 games but the DualSense has ruined me. Every time
I play a game without the triggers or haptics the game feels ‘less’.
Yep apparently I'm now a big fan of those features, even though this patent would bypass those features as they weren't implemented in these older peripherals.

Everyone loves them. ❤️

(We good now mods?)

Agent X

That trade off isn’t worth it IMO. Dualsense is the best controller by far and playing other games without those features is like playing like a peasant now.

Regardless of how much more you like DualSense, it would be quite convenient to be able to use DualShock 4 for local multiplayer games on PS5. Many people still have DualShock 4 controllers lying around from the PS4 systems that they used previously. They don't want to pay big bucks for one or more extra controllers that might only see rare usage.

DS5 on PS4 consoles should also be possible.

Not because you want to feign you have a PS5, but because you genuinelly can't buy PS4 controllers anymore as they don't make them since they launched PS5.

EDIT: DS5 works on PS3 consoles after all, just not on PS4.

Last edited:
Would be the single greatest thing Sonys ever done for me if they really brought back support for legacy hardware and software. Imagine plugging in your old PS1 controller via adapter on the PS5 to play your original GT2 disc. Won't happen, sadly. Move alone would be worth it for the light gun/shooting games.

wvnative

GIVE ME FUCKING DUALSHOCK 4 SUPPORT!

the Dpad on the Dualsense sucks ass and I need a good fighting game controller!

One way or another this will be done. Even if not through official means.

Meanwhile, have you tried remote play? Not a perfect solution but works pretty well for me.

squarealex

Imagine Analogue pressure sensitive buttons comes back for PS2/PS3 Emulation and game like MGS 2/3 HD Collection.

Yes, just a dream...

Last edited:

dtremblay

For the love of god, let us play psvr1 games on psvr2 w out having to pay again. i just want good hand tracking. that's it.

sony could use a hearts and minds win.

AndrewRyan

Have two Logitech racing wheels and a Turtle Beach headset that work on PS3 but not PS4/PS5. Not sure if this is related but better late than never.

Top Bottom