• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony London Studio Is Working On a Massive PS5 Game With Online Multiplayer

Complementary Multiplayer, like in Uncharted/TLoU/Ghost of Tsushima, is cool. Primary focus on Multiplayer? No thanks, not the reason i own PlayStation platforms.

It's cool to have for those who like them but absolutely not at the expense of their single player games, which, for me, are the key pillar of this brand. I'd stop being a supporter immediately.
Yes! More primary MP games!

Vick

OMG, i remember that 8 Days trailer... i was like OMG look how real it looks like!

Now, it looks sh!t lol
For real.. bloom truly fucked with us during that Gen.

Yes! More primary MP games!
tHu9pcv.gif

You already have your platform of choice for that.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
but am constantly told sony fans only like single player? would be good to see a multiplayer game from them

yurinka

Nice to see they are getting something bigger than a VR game. Eight Days looked so cool with these covers, sliding and even shooting from the chopper, and these visuals back then were great.

I'm worried with the 'online multiplayer' part. I prefer Sony to focus on single player games, that are the games I prefer. I don't like to play online outside Street Fighter, rarely played some games like Destiny, Wipeout and a few other ones.

As said before, if it's a secondary mode like in Uncharted or TLOU, then it's ok for me. But I won't buy a game focused on online multiplayer.

Upcoming PS5 exclusive multiplayer titles...

Arrowhead Studio
Factions II (Naughty Dog)
Guerilla Games multiplayer
London Studio
Arrowhead? I though Helldivers was a 3rd tier game with low sales outside PS Plus. Are you sure Sony is going to publish them a game again or to pay them for an exclusive? I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

Vick

What MS? LOL no.......
I'm basically over Multiplayer games since the Modern Warfare 2 days (outside of very few exceptions) and never ever bothered with Multiplayer only games outside of Battlefront 2015, but i'm pretty sure Xbox and certainly PC are better choices for those.
And it's not even a matter of skills, as i've always kicked asses in matches.. i just think it's beyond moronic buying games with expiration dates.

but am constantly told sony fans only like single player? would be good to see a multiplayer game from them
Only reason i'm a Sony fan is because of their single player games, they gone, i'm gone.

Last edited:

Kdad

the people who made SOCOM are at Impulse Gear, another psvr shop - and btw, they recently went active again and are promising something for 2021...
....sounds like more VR "First of all, thank you for your continued support. We’ve been hard at work exploring the possibilities of VR, learning from our work on Farpoint, and building something special. We look forward to sharing more with you soon."

The getaway 3 would be awesome, i remember buying the first game on release day at my local Blockbuster video store and got a free copy of jak and Daxter! But i reckon something like a new socom would be even better.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nice to see they are getting something bigger than a VR game. Eight Days looked so cool with these covers, sliding and even shooting from the chopper, and these visuals back then were great.

I'm worried with the 'online multiplayer' part. I prefer Sony to focus on single player games, that are the games I prefer. I don't like to play online outside Street Fighter, rarely played some games like Destiny, Wipeout and a few other ones.

As said before, if it's a secondary mode like in Uncharted or TLOU, then it's ok for me. But I won't buy a game focused on online multiplayer.

Arrowhead? I though Helldivers was a 3rd tier game with low sales outside PS Plus. Are you sure Sony is going to publish them a game again or to pay them for an exclusive? I wouldn't bet on it.

HellDivers was a mild success for Sony/Arrowhead. A game made by 10 or so people, released in 2015.

Since then, Arrowhead has staffed up to 65+ people, and have apparently been given an extended development cycle, which suggests to me they have the backing of a major publisher.

My money is on Sony.

Javthusiast

Banned
I love sony exclusive single player games, Love em. But to finally get more big high budget multiplayer games, can't wait for Factions 2 btw, would be fantastic.

I'm basically over Multiplayer games since the Modern Warfare 2 days (outside of very few exceptions) and never ever bothered with Multiplayer only games outside of Battlefront 2015, but i'm pretty sure Xbox and certainly PC are better choices for those.
And it's not even a matter of skills, as i've always kicked asses in matches.. i just think it's beyond moronic buying games with expiration dates.

Only reason i'm a Sony fan is because of their single player games, they gone, i'm gone.
Never said you had to like MP games. Just wish Sony would pull it's amazing resources to make at least a few great MP focused games. I have plenty of SP games to choose from. MP? No so much, even from MS and other third part titles.

Vick

Never said you had to like MP games. Just wish Sony would pull it's amazing resources to make at least a few great MP focused games.
That's already too many for me, as i would see that as resources pulled from potential SP games.. but sure, lots of people like them so it would be reasonable to focus a bit more on those.

I have plenty of SP games to choose from. MP? No so much, even from MS and other third part titles.
I don't know.. i feel it's the opposite to be honest.

v_iHuGi

Banned
I totally expect online to be a main Sony focus, also those online titles will launch on Pc too.

PlayStation Studios will be a Mix between Big MP and SP and Smaller Indies titles.

Concern

I forgot about this. Would be nice to eee it revived considering we might not see another gta sp and there won't be another title like Kane and Lynch either.

Sorc3r3r

SuperMag.

1000 people online in monkey suits flinging poo at each other.
Ah, this is wonderful image of the common, usual, online experience.
You can argue that people would get tired after years and years of flying poo, but this would not be the case, it seems people can't get enough flinging poo at each other.
Nonetheless my hope is still intact as I won't surrender to the overwhelming possibility that this game too will be nothing less and nothing more than the usual, common online experience.
And even when this hope will be shattered by the evidence of reality, my hope like a bee will fly to another flower, trying to cover the acrid stink of shit with the sublime scent of pollen.

A really crazy mag 2 game with many modes simultaneusly would be great. Imagine that the 1k playes in the map, 200 are doing a capture the flag objective, others as doing a domination, another ones a seek and drestroy game, even 100 are doing a type of battle roayle were the final player can make more points. And everything counting for a "end of war". Would be really crazy

Perrott

Gold Member
Some people over at ResetEra pointed out that London Studio has recently erased any mention to VR in their website:

Old (October 2020)
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.19.03.png
New
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.19.59.png
Old
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.14.18.png
New
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.14.47.png

Also, Stuart Whyte (former director of VR product development) is now Sony London's studio head:

Before
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.39.36.png
After
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.39.46.png

Interesting stuff. Maybe y'all are right and the "unannounced PlayStation 5 title" mentioned in the following LinkedIn profile is indeed a console game and not a VR title:
EqFGt65WMAAktL_

Combine all of that with the recent SOHO ENGINE trademark by SIE Europe and, wow, it kind of looks like London Studio could be returning to AAA console development.

Ian Henry

The Getaway possibly returning.....sounds good. A new IP would great as well. We'll see what they cooking though.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
The sooner Sony ditches VR the better. It’s a dead platform, sales have stagnated, no ones buying or talking about VR, it’s as niche as it gets. Put these studios on AAA titles that will sell 15-20 million units and sell consoles like nobodies business.

Five million units for an install base of over 100 million consoles is shocking.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The sooner Sony ditches VR the better. It’s a dead platform, sales have stagnated, no ones buying or talking about VR, it’s as niche as it gets. Put these studios on AAA titles that will sell 15-20 million units and sell consoles like nobodies business.

Five million units for an install base of over 100 million consoles is shocking.
Not for me

I want more VR game

It sucks if sony have to keep killing something just because it doesnt sold 100 m units

If you dont want vr fine you do your thing

Last edited:

EDMIX

Praying for the getaway. Its the only third person sony game i give a damn about.
london calling.....

I'm saying. When Sony got all horny for open world games ie (Spiderman, Days Gone, Horizon) etc, I felt for sure The Getaway remake, reboot or 3 was right around the corner.

I need them doing Top Boy things bruv

Papacheeks

Banned
Announcement coming soon?! Maybe at the rumored State of Play that's supposedly going to take place in early 2021?

OTsgUjN.png

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamesartdirector/

Thats super early though. They made blood and truth last year. I mean they could be all in on production, but to show it? Doubtfull right now. Your going to see more IN-Depth look into Returnal, RATCHET, new MLB the show push for it being multiplatform, GT7 and updates on Horizon.

Romulus

No ones talking psvr because the tech is terrible. You said no one is talking about VR, which is wrong. Oculus 2 is going great.

Some people over at ResetEra pointed out that London Studio has recently erased any mention to VR in their website:

Old (October 2020)
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.19.03.png
New
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.19.59.png
Old
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.14.18.png
New
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.14.47.png

Also, Stuart Whyte (former director of VR product development) is now Sony London's studio head:

Before
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.39.36.png
After
Screenshot_2020-12-26_at_20.39.46.png

Interesting stuff. Maybe y'all are right and the "unannounced PlayStation 5 title" mentioned in the following LinkedIn profile is indeed a console game and not a VR title:
EqFGt65WMAAktL_

Combine all of that with the recent SOHO ENGINE trademark by SIE Europe and, wow, it kind of looks like London Studio could be returning to AAA console development.

yes, unfortunately there was a very abrupt change in direction inside Sony and since then psvr was fucked - it's now only legacy tech on PS5.

I know of at least one big shot who got fed up with it and left.

I left psvr is disgust too, now fully on Oculus Quest. Let Sony keep pushing their ancient flat drivel for old-school boomers... old audiences just die and get replaced by new players interested in new stuff rather than game old crap:

tons of kids like this in the VR multiplayer arenas, Population One, roblox, Minecraft etc

here's a 80s boomer meeting the new audiences:

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Syphon Filter: World Warfare, with urban shootings and lots of possible tactics

A return to test this awesome series popularity, and to bring back single player games if succesful

💔 A man can dream

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Hoping for an Eight Days revival with 2 player coop!🤞

Yeah, I know its not gonna happen and the game will probably be some stupid ass eSports game like Destruction AllStars or Bleeding Edge...

Last edited:

NahaNago

I think this is a great move. Online multiplayer has been one of Sony's weakest point in games. Unfortunately Sony tends to go a little too weird on their mutliplayer stuff.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony hasn’t had a AAA multiplayer shooter in a long time people are still playing Gears, and Halo 3 how the hell did that happen? Well, they hold up in value and SONY wants that.

Top Bottom