• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is Working on a 3D Scanner that will Allow Users to Put Real-World Items Into Video Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This patent isn't actually anything new as Sony filed it on June 23, 2021, however, the patent office took issue with some of its claims requiring the tech giant to rework some details and resubmit. It would seem that, as of yesterday, Sony and the patent office have begun moving forward with the process following updates and revisions by Sony.

It's currently unclear exactly what the applications of the patent would be for. There are obvious ways that technology like that could be implemented in video games, however, with how much is still unknown about PS VR2 and the titles coming to it, there's not enough information to say for sure that it's going to be used in VR games. The tech could just as easily be used for non-VR experiences as well depending on the game.

It's important to note that Sony hasn't been granted the patent just yet and that it's still being processed so fans shouldn't expect this tech to be featured in games any time soon. It seems to be using similar ideas as the "anything can be a controller, yes, even a banana" patent that the company filed in March, but with a bigger scope in terms of application.

sony-new-patent.jpg

According to the patent mock-up, it seems as if players will be able to scan larger items than the handheld ones featured in the banana patent such as full-sized lamps. The only caveat seems to be that players will need to be able to have a 360-degree view of the item in order to bring it into the digital world.

EekTheKat

sounds like an extension of what you can already do with an Xperia phone. Their phones have a crude 3d scanning software that can "scan" a 3d model of something and store it as a rotatable object that can be viewed in the app.

IMHO it will never be more than a novelty, as an actual model would require a lot of clean up work by hand (usually) even after it's "scanned".

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I had heard that same news since the Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360 era and still nothing.

Again, are just rumors.

Three

sounds like an extension of what you can already do with an Xperia phone. Their phones have a crude 3d scanning software that can "scan" a 3d model of something and store it as a rotatable object that can be viewed in the app.

IMHO it will never be more than a novelty, as an actual model would require a lot of clean up work by hand (usually) even after it's "scanned".
Autodesk also do this in the cloud. It always has some incorrect parts that need fixing like you said. Not holding my breath on anything materialising from this, it's just a patent for now.

sinnergy

Rare already tried this with Perfect Dark. Way back, same remarks about improper limbs came .. how we all grew as societies.

Last edited:

cHaOs667

I remember that Microsoft had shipped Windows 10 Mobile with a software that could do that. The 3d models where not the prettiest ones and light and contrast with the background was key to have a good looking model.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Photogrammetry apps have existed for a while AFAIK. This patent could just be for a smartphone app that sends stuff into a game like Dreams.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They want to patent technology that already exists?
I see why the patent office has asked them have another go.
Im guessing the patent is gonna be on the software automatically knowing what was captured and giving it appropriate attributes for easy import into actual games without needing a DCC intermediary?

Im sure Quixel/Epic and RC will have words as to how they can patent tech that they already have and use.
realitycapture3.jpg

Can I put whamen into my video game? Just curious.
Can I put real world person into my video game? Just curious.
Sure you can.
reality-capture-screenshot-01.png

maxresdefault.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That look like a picture of someone scanning stuff with a phone. Lidar is included in iPhones nowadays, so maybe they are planning that for their phones?

Kikorin

I remember doing this with Kinect ages ago. Worth to say worked like shit and I put real monstrosity in my game.

CitizenZ

Banned
3:00 mark to shows them how they are building the levels in real life and then scanning them into the computer.

Reactions: Fuz

Trilobit

That look like a picture of someone scanning stuff with a phone. Lidar is included in iPhones nowadays, so maybe they are planning that for their phones?

I tried the LIDAR on my iPad, but it was frustratingly hard. Tried scanning a shoe and whatnot and it always came out ugly like a mishaped 3D-model from the 1980s.

Top Bottom