• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is pulling some BS with regional pricing for PS5 games in Europe

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Ok so on reddit (r/PS5) you can't talk about the prices now.
1D0Rb1G.png
Shills are at it again.

pawel86ck

Banned
1) I don't care about RT whatsoever and until 70% (at least) of AAA/AA and even B level games will be supporting RT
2) I don't care about 4K, I've 1440p 144Hz monitor and my next upgrade will be 21:9 1440p 144Hz.
3) I'm not playing most of the games tested and only care about those I'm playing / will be playing
4) Could not care less about RDR2, maybe 5-6 years from now.
5) DLSS won't be supported in old very demanding games and even though it's a good feature, it won't be available in 70% (at least) of games in 2 years, same goes for RT.

Well go on ahead and buy it then. I'll wait RX 6000 news and RTX 4000 series.
RT will be used in the majority of games in the near future because consoles will use it too :). DLSS 2.0 can be also used in lower resolutions as well.

I had 1080ti for myself two years ago, but there's simply no comparison between 3080 and 1080ti. You really have to be kidding if you think 3080 is not worthy upgrade over 1080ti.

El63xdi.jpg

And this game doesn't even use turing / ampere specific and performance saving features, because then you would see literally 10-15x more performance compared to single 1080ti. You are planning to keep 1080ti and that's fine, buy dont BS people saying there just marginal difference between these two GPUs.

Last edited:
RT will be used in the majority of games in the near future becaue consoles will use it too :). DLSS 2.0 can be also used in lower resolutions as well.

I had 1080ti for myself two years ago, but there's simply no comparison between 3080 and 1080ti. You really have to be kidding if you think 3080 is not worthy upgrade over 1080ti.

El63xdi.jpg

And this game doesn't even use turing / ampere specific and performance saving features, because then you would see literally 10-15x more performance compared to single 1080ti. You are planning to keep 1080ti and that's fine, buy dont BS people there just marginal difference between these two GPUs.
All facts. 3080 is godlike upgrade for everyone with exception of maybe 2080Ti users.

notseqi

Psst - buy the disc version. Buy game, finish game, sell game.
I don't sell games but if I were to... How do you go about that?
eBay is annoying, our craigslist equivalent is annoying especially if I have to send by mail, I'd have to hope for local buyers of which I am not aware exist, no gamestop-esque stores nearby...
What do?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't sell games but if I were to... How do you go about that?
eBay is annoying, our craigslist equivalent is annoying especially if I have to send by mail, I'd have to hope for local buyers of which I am not aware exist, no gamestop-esque stores nearby...
What do?

eBay. The only annoying thing about eBay is that they try and force you to sell it for less than it's worth, but you don't have to. They normally take 10% of all sales but they often do weekends where it's either free or super cheap.

Don't do shit like Craigslist or Facebook market, there's zero security there.

RAIDEN1

The thing is this Spiderman DLC (as it is not a fully fledged sequel to Spiderman ) is said to be shorter than the original game, so how can they even ask for £70 for that title when you are getting a title that isn't as big as the original......way things are going I think we are headed into Neo Geo territory where the price of games will soon start costing in the hundreds...

The thing is this Spiderman DLC (as it is not a fully fledged sequel to Spiderman ) is said to be shorter than the original game, so how can they even ask for £70 for that title when you are getting a title that isn't as big as the original......way things are going I think we are headed into Neo Geo territory where the price of games will soon start costing in the hundreds...

It's £50

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
RT will be used in the majority of games in the near future because consoles will use it too :). DLSS 2.0 can be also used in lower resolutions as well.
Could not care less, honestly.

Again, I don't care about 4K performance whatsoever and Avengers as well. I'll be gaming in 1440p 144Hz for the next 5-6 years.

vkbest

Most of you probably noticed I am a Playstation guy becaude of my contributions on GAF threads. But if there is one thing I hate with a passion is companies prioritizing certain markets and Sony might be doing just that by screwing its european clients. First with the staggered release of the PS5 in Europe and now this.

You could buy the games of current gen in USA market by "$60" when we was paying "70€". Regional scamming has been a thing for several generations of consoles, movies, music, etc.

Apple is even worse with prices.

FlyyGOD

I hope Sony's 1st party game prices doesn't incentivize 3rd parties (some have already)to raise game prices .

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I think we all have to accept more than ever these companies aren't our friends. Having slept on the shock of the price bump from £50 > £70 games I'll just shop around and wait for lower prices and buy used.

I've looked at other options (XSS+PC & GPU) but Sony know they have gamers by the balls with their games!

Exede

Ahhhh well at first i was bummed that the ps5 is sold out in germany already. Then i saw the launch lineup, the game pricing, EU release date and i can't even express how i don't care anymore for a launch ps5. Gonna built me a new RTX3080 pc instead.

acm2000

Meanwhile in the UK:

Demon's Souls, Destruction AllStars, and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition all cost £69.99.

Meanwhile, Sackboy A Big Adventure costs £59.99, and the standard version of Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales costs £51.99.

SEVENTY POUNDS for 2 remastered previous gen games, and destruction derby.

Last edited:

lee50_10

Meanwhile in the UK:

Demon's Souls, Destruction AllStars, and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition all cost £69.99.

Meanwhile, Sackboy A Big Adventure costs £59.99, and the standard version of Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales costs £51.99.

SEVENTY POUNDS for 2 remastered previous gen games, and destruction derby.
Yep this is bad these prices are more expensive than the already expensive PSN store were charging this gen.

Exede

I'm repeating myself here. It's 70$ for Demons Souls vs 80€ with tax which translates to arround. 77$ US and 94$ EU WITH tax. That's by no means justified.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And people actively want physical media to die out... :messenger_neutral:
Shit I didn't even think about Digital, wonder what the prices are there.
Unless these are the digital prices which means they actually haven't changed in price from PS4
could mean the retail price will decrease before launch.

Marvel's Spider-man Miles Morales
US $49.99 = £38.40
UK £51.99 = $67.36
Demon Souls
US $69.99 = £54.02
UK £69.99 = $90.68
6e32c8c95efdf3df641f1c6eb58e1c01.gif

The beef I have is the £20 bump in one go. Your comparison here is unfair though because one includes taxes (we still pay a little more though)

UK £51.99 minus 20% VAT = £41.59. Convert to US dollars = $53.88. Costs £2.50 more in UK but we pay much higher tax/VAT than in the US (0 to ~13%? sales tax on top of the $49.99)

notseqi

Shit I didn't even think about Digital, wonder what the prices are there.
Unless these are the digital prices which means they actually haven't changed in price from PS4
could mean the retail price will decrease before launch.
No doubt they will fuck their DE buyers around at some point, even if they get people in for the cheap year 1, well copied from aroundfucker-OG Nintendo.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ok Shopto has reduced games like Ass Creed on PS5 to £45, Gold Edition is £67
Amazon.co.uk still listing the Gold Edition for £84.99
Pricing is adjusting it seems and some don't have prices yet, I guess other places are using the Digital Price as a placeholder

Last edited:

Mato

Holy shit, are they really asking for 80 euros for a game nowadays? I'm so spoiled by Steam discounts. I got RE7 for 7 bucks ffs.

Ok Shopto has reduced games like Ass Creed on PS5 to £45, Gold Edition is £67
Amazon.co.uk still listing the Gold Edition for £84.99
Pricing is adjusting it seems and some don't have prices yet, I guess other places are using the Digital Price as a placeholder

Hopefully that isn't a mistake and a sign of things to come. Funnily enough someone on another forum said game price increases were tried on at the start of this gen but it didn't work and they backed off on it? Don't remember it myself but hopefully the same is true this time!

MastaKiiLA

What's VAT in Europe? I guess the simple answer is they're pricing it that way, because they expect Europeans will pay it. That does seem like a big markup, given that with exchange rate + VAT, the prices should be the same as US. However, you're essentially paying $15 more than US, per game. I can empathize.

That said, I'm curious to know how digital sales will work here in Thailand. I recently made a US PSN account. I wonder if I can buy US games, and play on a system I buy here in Thailand. I remember demos from other regions playing just fine on my US PS3 and PS4, so I hope that's the case again. In which case, I'll just continue to buy US games, since I'll have fewer issues with my US bank as a result.

MastaKiiLA

In Europe prices are with taxes Included.
how does this works in the US?
what is the average taxe rate?
6-10%. That's not enough to bridge that price gap, but it will reduce it by a good amount. I don't know if places like Amazon still sell tax-free in places like Florida. It used to be one of the best aspects of buying stuff online, to get around that sales tax.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

16% (Germany) up to 27% (Hungary)

cWVjpop.png
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! I thought 7% was high here in Thailand. That's insane tax. If that's the case, then the EU prices might not be very far off the US prices pre-VAT, since almost all US states have a sales tax that gets added to the listed price.

For 80€, i can get so many things. I have the budget to buy those 80 or even 100€ games. The thing is that i refuse to it.
I can have books, CD, Bluray and a SegaSaturn game or 2 or 3 for the same price.
For 2 games, i can get the Super Deluxe Edition of Prince's Sign o'The times. Why would i buy 2 games instead of that?

55€ is the max price... and i think it's very expensive.

Zero7

I remember I had a Sony Europe protest back in the days when they boned us with both the PSP and PS3 prices and release dates. I bought the consoles and the games from the US and bought local games used so SCEE never seen a penny of my money, might end up doing the same here.

Xorbus

Woke up, read the news: one part of my brain finds it all hilarious, considering the hypocrisy and assholery of the die-hard Sony bros here, but the other feels bad for those of you who simply can not afford games that expensive. Would it better to have a slightly more expensive PS5, but the same old price for games?
Well, you can sell an iPhone for 1000+ bucks, you can't sell a gaming console with a 5-10 year lifespan for 500+ because journos and "regular" people will be offended.

Trimesh

Banned
So this is how arrogant Sony rears its ugly head. I knew there 'd be a atleast some way he'd creep in. But its probably Sony testing the water to see what they can get away with before changing it and being perceived as heroes for doing so.

It's a common tactic to shock people with something ridiculous to then only change the price to something less ridiculous like 69,99 but still worse than the actual baseline price it used to be.

Is there a term for this practice?

I believe the technical term is "cuntishness".

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Which is not Sony's fault but their own government's fault. So no need to blame Sony for the outrageous taxing.
Really? 70 USD without tax is 84.5USD with EU tax, not 94USD (80EUR, which still definitely going to higher here)...

Top Bottom