• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is pulling some BS with regional pricing for PS5 games in Europe

PresetError

Neophyte
Most of you probably noticed I am a Playstation guy becaude of my contributions on GAF threads. But if there is one thing I hate with a passion is companies prioritizing certain markets and Sony might be doing just that by screwing its european clients. First with the staggered release of the PS5 in Europe and now this.

bpslCWa.png

How is it possible the hardware (console, controller, camera, headset, wireless charger, etc) costs exactly the same in US and Europe but games are more expensive? Why announce a feature like Playstation Plus Collection that's not going to be fully available in all your markets without proper warning? To piss off a big chunk of your users? Because you think you have that market locked and they will toe the line?

For starters, I'm not going to buy shit from Sony (hardware or software) until they match what they are offering in other regions with what they are offering in Europe. And if they insist on this crap for too long I may jump ship to other platforms. And this is coming from a guy that bought all the Playstations and is (or was) a happy Sony client for the past 25 years.

Shit's not right anyway it's spun. I get the business side of trying to front load capacity in NA to avoid shortages leading to people buying the competition (since MS presence in Europe proper is crap) but this pricing too....:messenger_angry:

So this is how arrogant Sony rears its ugly head. I knew there 'd be a atleast some way he'd creep in. But its probably Sony testing the water to see what they can get away with before changing it and being perceived as heroes for doing so.

It's a common tactic to shock people with something ridiculous to then only change the price to something less ridiculous like 69,99 but still worse than the actual baseline price it used to be.

Is there a term for this practice?

Last edited:
The reason the consoles are priced the same is that it’s very important for Sony to get below those psychological barriers of entry. I won’t be buying any games at 80€ though 🤣.

Edit: Oh, other hardware was also priced higher. I can’t explain that.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I can't believe how could they shot themselves in the foot like that.

They got the games, not only on launch day, but in 2021 as well: Ratchet & Clank, Horizon, Gran Turismo, Returnal, God of War. The best first year lineup in the history of PlayStation... but then they ruined it all by releasing their games also on PS4 and PC.

Back in june they said all of the "we believe in generations" stuff - that only makes the end result even more insulting.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
So this is how arrogant Sony rears its ugly head. I knew there 'd be a atleast some way he'd creep in. But its probably Sony testing the water to see what they can get away with before changing it and being perceived as heroes for doing so.

It's a common tactic to shock people with something ridiculous to then only change the price to something less ridiculous like 69,99 but still worse than the actual baseline price it used to be.

Yes, it’s called being a cunt.

In Finland they are actually trying to sell the disc version for €599 and the discless for €549. The importer is known for being a greedy cunt and they stick 20% on because... fuck you that's why.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
This is utter bullshit when you consider that 1$ is worth less than 1€ in Europe. I'm definitely not buying any games at launch for that price. Even now 60€ is a price I'm rarely willing to pay for a brand new game, it's gotta be something I'm really really looking forward to playing asap.

mcjmetroid

Microsoft were a lot more communicative with this stuff and people gave them shit for it. Especially when it came to generations. At least they were upfront about it
. Sony is doing the same thing about their console and being shady about it.

I thought that conference was very weak and reaked of self confidence.

It's gonna be a slow generation for the first year boys.

marcincz

80E for a single game? Sorry Sony, but no. One week after US and JP PS5 release and 10E higher price for a game. I am out. Maybe I'll buy PS5 in 2021.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
WTF is this BS? Are they fucking insane to charge 80 euro? Not to mention that regional pricing is absolutely terrible and they closed factories in some countries so they need to import games now and it'll be even more expensive than 80 euro. What in the actual fuck?

Last edited:

Rac3r

In social psychology it's known as the "Door-in-the-face technique"; although, I don't know if it applies here.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And that`s why DE is the most expensive console if you are not digital only anyways. I see tons of people be like "Omg, 100 bucks? Give give give" and in the end they pay hundreds and hundreds more than people that just resell and trade their games.

Not only that UHD Blu-Ray shits over Netflix or other streaming solutions in terms of quality... heck sometimes 1080p Blu-Ray have better detail...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Arrogant Sony is Sony existing, it is like Elvis face or Jesus found in everything somehow :rolleyes:.

Most of you probably noticed I am a Playstation guy becaude of my contributions on GAF threads. But if there is one thing I hate with a passion is companies prioritizing certain markets and Sony might be doing just that by screwing its european clients. First with the staggered release of the PS5 in Europe and now this.

bpslCWa.png

How is it possible the hardware (console, controller, camera, headset, wireless charger, etc) costs exactly the same in US and Europe but games are more expensive? Why announce a feature like Playstation Plus Collection that's not going to be fully available in all your markets without proper warning? To piss off a big chunk of your users? Because you think you have that market locked and they will toe the line?

For starters, I'm not going to buy shit from Sony (hardware or software) until they match what they are offering in other regions with what they are offering in Europe. And if they insist on this crap for too long I may jump ship to other platforms. And this is coming from a guy that bought all the Playstations and is (or was) a happy Sony client for the past 25 years.

Harware doesnt cost the same even between European countries.

US:
standard 499$
DE 399$

Finland:
standard 529€ = 623$
DE 429€ = 505$

It have always been that US prices are much lower, while our price is $ = € + 10-40% extra.

even when counting our included 22% VAT it sucks.

bpslCWa.png

Which regions isn't the PS Plus Collection going to be in?

Fitzchiv

bpslCWa.png

There's some detail stuff around taxing and cost to get approval and rating etc, but it's not radically different to, say, the US. They're taking the piss.

Let's face it though the whole concept of these 'cheaper' digital consoles is to make it impossible to get games at a lower premium. They're getting that money back one way or another. The price difference between the discless and standard versions is worth what, four or five decent AAA game purchase premiums when buying full whack digitally or through a store.

and? Sure, you cannot resell it, but it does not make it free or worthless mate.
... and 80 EUR is the new price for first-party Sony games. Including glorified DLC with digital remaster slapped on top of it, PS3 game remaster and Rocket League copy-cat.

Meanwhile people shit on Epic Store or Activision but earlier this month I got one of the best (if not THE best) remasters for 35 EUR. I'm talking about THPS 1+2, of course.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
... and 80 EUR is the new price for first-party Sony games.

This is warrior BS mate. Throwing stuff at a wall and seeing if it sticks.

Lost Legacy was not a cheap add-on and Miles Morales is that and more. You can buy Miles Morales stand-alone or in a bundle, but you trying to make the talking point of all games are $80 makes it all look like very very disingenuous.
Try harder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom