• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Not in an 'Arms Race’ With Microsoft, Says PlayStation Boss

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think he means as a total business.....while sony as a whole was much better its still full of shithouse divisions that drain the good parts of their business
and this is probably why you wont see them rocking the boat as much as COVID would of had a pretty big effect and its also why you see alot of cost cutting stuff like Japanstudio and them thinking shutting down the ps3/vita stores was a great idea...many of these decisions are done by bean counters and not gamers

Jim is a bean counter

But the PS3 store is still open. Plus they are making PSVR2, so that should say something about their mentality towards Playstation.

Shubh_C63

I don't think the acquisition of Bethesda is good monetarily, didn't their games primarily sale more on Playstation? If so that means their purchase actually lost a lot of value, business wise it actually sounds terrible having to over pay for an acquisition that won't hit old revenue targets.
getting bethesda was a super smart move.
How I see is bethesda made good games with vision but tech caught up to them. They needed big money from MS and MS wanted a must buy Halo-guy for the new gen, which is either Starfield (good not great) or ES6 (which is the safest bet in the world).

I had no intention of getting Xbox but goddamn I will jump on gamepass day one for ES6. Everyone will and probably keep playing (and paying) for Gamepass because of Destiny/Starfield/AAA.

yurinka

This flow chart gets more mileage than it should.

FqVdghB.png
You seem so desperate, I didn't say anything of that.

Where does in this chart say that Sony and Nintendo don't care about possibly losing some Zenimax exclusives because it's a fact that Zenimax sales were a tiny percentage of PS4 and Switch (you can include WiiU/3DS too if you want) game sales? Is that wrong?

If you remove these sales and put them in MS, would it help to compensate the distance to help MS top being the 3rd? Nope, even if they double Zenimax sales Sony and Nintendo will be selling way more software.

Didn't Phil say that they will have (who know if timed, Sony and MS have a history of annoucing as exclusives what ended being timed exclusives) exclusives but will continue supporting their fanbase in other consoles and that still have contractual obligations in other platforms? Didn't the Xbox CFO say their strategy was 'first (timed exclusive) or best (multi since day one) on Xbox' for Zenimax?

These are all facts.

Why is MS war chest thing is still a thing? They just bought Bethesda for billions of $$$s, they can't just go ahead with the same calibre of acquisition without proving to Satya and big MS head honchos that these purchases make money for GP in the long run. No matter how deep the pocket is; 1) it is finite and 2) it is a business so it has to make sense by recouping the investment. They have to wait and see if it is working before sinking more money into big acquisitions, but small scale ones can keep happening with small profits to show for them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Naughty Dog games are just playable movies. Their gameplay has never been something that other games haven’t done and in most cases have done better. Given they are third person games the case study belongs to Resident Evil 4 and Capcom.

Their main contributions have been high production values and guess what you have to THROW MONEY AT a game to get it at that level. So no. Not even close.

Bro....this you?

troll dancing GIF

yurinka

Nope, but the wording gives it away. Sony is publishing THEIR games. Sony doesnt own the IPs in these cases. The bungie studio was created in 2018 way before sony got involved.

Also the job listings ask for multiplat engine experience.

• You have a lot of experience developing an optimized multi-platform graphics code taking advantage of each platform to its fullest.
Their game has been announced as 2nd party, which means Sony publishes it and almost always this means Sony owns the IP. Sony owns the IPs of Returnal, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, Journey, Detroit, The Order, Death Stranding, etc. even if they may decide to allow someone else to publish a port somewhere.

Regarding the multiplatform thing, maybe they plan to release it on PS4, PS5 and (maybe at launch or after a timed exclusivity) PC.

why fans do not know the history behind their favourite company ?
what passion does MS has? they forced Rare to make Kinect games...
They shut down studio after studio in the xbox 360 gen, then for the middle gen they relied on Kinect games and their 3 IPs.
If anything what you just said about Sea of Thieves says how resilient those people at Rare are.

If you were as smart as you think you are you'd know that RARE chose to make those Kinect games. They sold well and they enjoyed playing with the tech. It wasn't all Roses under Mattrick for sure but let's not pretend that every publisher doesn't close down studios for one reason or another. If they got closed they were either a corporate risk, a money pit, or both. When you have a set budget you have to choose where to spend your investment wisely.

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty gross for him to say that to be honest.

A slap in the face of the Xbox Game Studio developers.

A development studio like id Software has had more influence on the industry than any of Sony’s studios for example.

He didn't say anything about Xbox Game Studio developers. id Software? What?

getting bethesda was a super smart move.
How I see is bethesda made good games with vision but tech caught up to them. They needed big money from MS and MS wanted a must buy Halo-guy for the new gen, which is either Starfield (good not great) or ES6 (which is the safest bet in the world).

I had no intention of getting Xbox but goddamn I will jump on gamepass day one for ES6. Everyone will and probably keep playing (and paying) for Gamepass because of Destiny/Starfield/AAA.
You're looking at it wrong most companies will look to create a return on investment as quickly as possible. GamePass already doesn't create a profit. What kind of budget is MS willing to invest in the games to create revenue? My guess is a lot of Bethesda games will have microtransactions.

I believe Microsoft purchased Bethesda because they knew how behind they where as far as games ready to go that would gain instant popularity and Xbox might just fail without it? Imagine how XSX would look if only Halo and Forza where the only games released in the first 3 years? Starfield was already in development so I'm sure it won't suffer from problems their future games might suffer from so MS could make their money back.

This purchase seems like a purchase that was rushed and needed by MS because of how poorly the gaming division would do with out it. It's a bad purchase they did for failing to produce their own titles.

Last edited:
And I'm the lunatic lol you the one seen things. Anyway go to that ignore list as well

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made and basically started the third person over the shoulder genre of games.

Everything Naughty Dog or Gears of War did starting in the PS3/360 era was because of the innovation and success of RE4. For you you call it trash, unplayable etc is lunacy.

Last edited:
Yes gaming and other media. If gaming gets half of that it will be a nice amount. I think at the moment no one really knows if Microsoft are looking for another major buyout or if they'll just acquire the odd smaller developer now. Sony needed more studio's and this is the first in quite a few I would imagine. Both companies are looking to expand and that's great for us gamers.
Even a third or a quarter would be a nice amount. If you can buy Insomniac for $250M, imagine what you can do with with $4.5B or $6B.

Topher

Gold Member
The entire conversation is in response to MS acquisitions and their own. It’s not explicitly asked but it’s definitely not talking about Nintendo.

Read what he said:

There are a lot of companies making acquisitions in gaming at the moment. Microsoft just bought Bethesda for $7.5 billion, Facebook has scooped up a lot of developers in the VR space of late and now Sony is purchasing Housemarque. Looking at the industry from the outside, it feels like a bit of an arms race. Is that how you see it, Hermen?

HH: No, not at all. We're very selective about the developers that we bring in. Our last new acquisition was Insomniac [for $229 million in 2019], which has worked out very well. I'm always looking for people that have a similar set of values, similar creative ambitions and work very well with our team that we can further invest in and help grow as creators. It's not like we're going around and just making random acquisitions.

They’re very, very targeted acquisitions of teams that we know well. The amount of collaboration between our external development group and Housemarque on the technical side, the production management side and even on the creative side has been so deep. So for us, it just makes so much sense to do that.

Obviously, this is not something you do overnight. Ilari and my team have been working on this for quite a while, but we obviously didn't want to distract the core group at Housemarque that’s been working to get this amazing title out.

There is nothing wrong with what he said. He is talking about Sony's approach to acquisitions. No where does he compare Sony's method to Microsoft's. He is asked about an "arms race" and says there isn't one. A "arms race" is counter to being "very selective about the developers that we bring in".

Frankly, suggesting he is somehow throwing shade at Microsoft with that is simply a matter of reading far too much into it from a console war mindset.

reksveks

Frankly, suggesting he is somehow throwing shade at Microsoft with that is simply a matter of reading far too much into it from a console war mindset.
The Sony fanboys want it to be shade so they can have the higher ground.
The Xbox fanboys want it to be shade so they can take offense.

Naughty Dog games are just playable movies. Their gameplay has never been something that other games haven’t done and in most cases have done better. Given they are third person games the case study belongs to Resident Evil 4 and Capcom.

Their main contributions have been high production values and guess what you have to THROW MONEY AT a game to get it at that level. So no. Not even close.
Nah TLOU PT2 was genuinely fun from a gameplay perspective

Shubh_C63

You're looking at it wrong most companies will look to create a return on investment as quickly as possible. GamePass already doesn't create a profit. What kind of budget is MS willing to invest in the games to create revenue? My guess is a lot of Bethesda games will have microtransactions.

I believe Microsoft purchased Bethesda because they knew how behind they where as far as games ready to go that would gain instant popularity and Xbox might just fail without it? Imagine how XSX would look if only Halo and Forza where the only games released in the first 3 years? Starfield was already in development so I'm sure it won't suffer from problems their future games might suffer from so MS could make their money back.

This purchase seems like a purchase that was rushed and needed by MS because of how poorly the gaming division would do with out it. It's a bad purchase they did for failing to produce their own titles.
most companies. Not super mega giants like Apple and Microsoft.

If you ask me, the only way they were given this seemingly huge budget to Xbox division was because of battle of ecosystem. Windows-11 has in-built Gamepass thingy. It is way waay more beneficial to them to get people in their ecosystem service than selling 16M copies of a game.

Google, Amazon are catching up in this billion dollar gaming industry and MS is playing the long game by solidifying their place. There is no way Microsoft gave Xbox 7-9 easy billion dollars because of catch-up as a sole(or majority) reason.

reksveks

Microsoft like Amazon is spending money to grab your time/attention and then trying to monetize it later using different revenue streams. Listen to a number of Scott Galloway podcast to hear it more eloquently.

Its why Apple is spending money on Apple TV and Amazon spends money on Prime Video.

treemk

Banned

Yes exactly, as I said earlier Doom Eternal already has microtransactions when they said they wouldn't before the acquisition. Microsoft has mismanaged all of their good IPs for short term profit, and until proven otherwise I expect this to still be the case. People act like the acquisition was the best thing ever, there are no results yet literally all they've done so far is spend money.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You do know GamePass isn't free right? You also don't own any of the games there...
GamePass is a fantastic value, but yeah, we can't pretend anything on there is "free". All too common occurrence when people are speaking on subscription services. Not calling out the poster you quoted specifically, but it feels like people imply this, often to make themselves feel better. "Well, I got it for 'free' so no loss!" I mean, whatever helps you sleep, I guess.

People on gaming forums used to do this all the time when "trade-ins" were still a huge thing. You'd get "I got the game for $12, so I'm not complaining!" (after trading in three recently released games and an old controller).

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

yeah it was. gears revolutionized the tps as we know. is not even funny, like is not even close
nah, it was fun but ultimately just another dudebro shooter that popularized a horrible press-for-cover trend that thankfully died out

Last edited:

Dr Bass

i mean... its not like gears is some revolutionary thing either.
When it released Gears was a technical marvel, and the third person cover based shooting was pretty fresh feeling from what I remember. I remember having a blast with it.

You have to look at these things through the lens of when they were released.

oldergamer

I am pretty sure that was part of the reasoning. Time exclusivity deals prevent the games from appearing on Game Pass for example. And when you don't own the content it can leave any time or you cannot get it until contract expired (see that Evil Within 2 did not appear on Game Pass until it was removed from PS Now). And that's why I think will purchase some japanese publisher - it will just make sense.
That didnt have anything to do with it. Zenimax was up for sale and it made sense from a biz perspective

Guilty_AI

When it released Gears was a technical marvel, and the third person cover based shooting was pretty fresh feeling from what I remember. I remember having a blast with it.

You have to look at these things through the lens of when they were released.
it had pretty graphics at the time and it was fun yeah, but its only real influence was the cover button, which honestly was a horrible trend.

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made and basically started the third person over the shoulder genre of games.

Everything Naughty Dog or Gears of War did starting in the PS3/360 era was because of the innovation and success of RE4. For you you call it trash, unplayable etc is lunacy.
You can take elements from a bad game and put them in a good game. RE4 isn't bad though, but it's not that good and has tons of problems.

A better example for my first statement is Kill.Switch, which Gears owes more to but it fixed all the jank and poor mechanics.

Dr Bass

it had pretty graphics at the time and it was fun yeah, but its only real influence was the cover button, which honestly was a horrible trend.
what other third person shooters played like it at the time? I remember it feeling quite different from the constant flow of FPS of the time (though I guess we still get a lot of those). I remember it being a big deal, I think downplaying that seems disingenuous.

Top Bottom