• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is Looking to Expand its ‘PlayStation PC Game Experiences’ Department

Chukhopops

They should make partnership with Apple and port these games to apple silicon. I have to use Parallels if i want to play PC games.
They're coming for ya Steam. And they actually have the games and know-how to compete, unlike Epic.
PlayStation Vapor Launcher coming to Mac OS with a catalog of 10+ exclusive games. Includes cross-buy (you can buy games using the X button).

Hbo Are You In GIF by SuccessionHBO

I hope PC get's proper attention. Some half assed GfWL period is certainly not wise. Currently PS+ Premium as the succesor to Now costs those users twice while they can't claim Essential games and not all Extra and Premium games have a stream option, download anyway not included. So second class, but full price.
Sony should take PC seriously and not like some obvious secondary afterthought. No problem in reserving timed exclusivity for your actual plattform so far, but as long as MS is doing what they are doing, they probably sooner than later are forced to increase the importance of this currently secondary distribution channel anyway.

T-Cake

I hope PC get's proper attention. Some half assed GfWL period is certainly not wise. Currently PS+ Premium as the succesor to Now costs those users twice while they can't claim Essential games and not all Extra and Premium games have a stream option, download anyway not included. So second class, but full price.
Sony should take PC seriously and not like some obvious secondary afterthought. No problem in reserving timed exclusivity for your actual plattform so far, but as long as MS is doing what they are doing, they probably sooner than later are forced to increase the importance of this currently secondary distribution channel anyway.

I attempted to go down this path but because PlayStation Plus streaming is still using base PS4 (yes, really!) you can't even use a DualSense. Of course, you can plug in an XBox pad but then how do I play something like Killzone: Shadow Fall without the touchpad? And you can't buy a DualShock 4 for love nor money! So I gave up on day two after the client wouldn't even run on booting my PC. It's pathetic.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I agree. It's fucking awful. The thing that made Sony's first party games so special, was the fact that they were built from the ground up to take advantage of the console's strengths, and could be played only on that console. Now, since that is no longer the case, the games will lose that specialness and will be more forgettable.
TL: DR : sonys exclusives were only good to you because they couldn't be played anywhere else, like a true and proud warrior.

samoilaaa

I like gameplay and interesting Gamedesign. I know I'm in the minority on here, in the gaming scene in general.

how else could one explain how games like The Order 1886 or Ryse have defenders that say they are good games :)
i agree with you , games like uncharted or the last of us are great at storytelling ( i said good storytelling not a good plot ) and graphics but when it comes to gamedesign they really feel old , but to be fair there are not many games with good level design especially in ps4/xbox one era , maybe this gen they will focus a little more on the complexity of the levels not just the graphics

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Random daydream of the day.... Would be a major move if Sony was making PSVR 2 PS5 & PC compatible and brought it's store to PC with cross buy on all PSVR and first party titles

Godot25

Banned
It took Sony quite a time to realise that there are many people who want to buy their first-party games but don't want to play on console.

Now PC gamers will get live service games day one with PS5 games and every storydriven game 2-3 years later. And they are cool with that.

How many PC games worth playing actually run on Windows ARM on Apple Silicon? Last time I checked the list really sucked.
Windows 11 ARM has an x86 translator so it runs everything. It's ok for some moderate PC gaming. Not going to win any awards, but its ok. Been playing the PC port of Silent Hill 4 at 4k/60. Its ok for classics, indies, 2d games, and some shooters.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It looks like I'll have no need to buy a Sony console moving forward.

Call me nostalgic but I liked it when Sony games were best on Playstation.

Three

I know, and as you might have noticed, this is a forum, something designed to publicize opinions.

crazy concept I know lol

but for real, they have Housemarque and Insomniac, the rest aren't really interesting to me. Asobi maybe, but that depends on if they make their games a bit more interesting gameplay wise, so far all they did are tech demos with no real depth.
Out of curiosity what's your "games with substance"?

T-Cake

I used to be the same but not anymore because they don't look after their old libraries. Infamous and Resistance are probably my favourite set of games on PlayStation and look what's happened - stuck on PS3 (or cloud) at 720p30. If they were on PC, you could be playing them at 4K60 at least right now. So as far as I'm concerned, the more games that end up on PC the better as it's easily the most futureproof platform going.

Last edited:

Neofire

https://akibon.com/sony-looking-to-expand-its-playstation-pc-game-experiences-department/

This is more than just porting PS games to PC, this is going to be a whole department they are going to build from the ground up, once they have a director to start organizing the department and get moving on staffing hires, Sony will have a part of SIE that will focus exclusively on bringing the PS experience to PC.

It's a major turn around for Sony, just in 2016 Sony was fighting against PC gaming when Andrew House said the reason for the PS4 Pro was to stop people from leaving their ecosystem to buy more graphically advantaged PC's:

https://metro.co.uk/2016/09/12/sony-names-pc-as-ps4s-main-competitor-not-xbox-one-6122877/

Sony is now embracing PC gaming, times have changed since the new leadership came in.
You got the "leadership change" thing right things seems to go strange ways when jimmy and his crew take over 👀

Neofire

Oh no people, in this forum, said that there are reasons to buy a playstation if Sony moves all it's games to PC. 🤫 That individuals invested in their platform have nothing to worry about 👀

Mister Wolf

They've been doing a good job with their PC ports. I'm waiting on the Returnal Port. That game was held back the most by the PS5. I'm sure it will look exquisite in native 4K at high framerates with additional raytracing features. Will bring high end PCs to their knees.

Why PS fans would object to Sony diversifying their portfolio and expanding the reach of their titles is a stance that I can not comprehend. If you like their first-party games, as I do, you should welcome the idea of them having a bigger budget to fund them, especially in the new consolidation era. It's 2022, and people are still stuck in the early 2000s. The landscape is changing, and should they fail to adapt quickly and effectively, they will fail...

Last edited:
I see people who keep saying all this is bad for sony and how releasing day and date will be a huge mistake, but this makes no sense. Why would sony be pushing for it so much if it was bad for them? It's because it isnt. Its going to make sony more money in the long run and isnt that was a business is supposed to do?

Only people affected and moaning is the fragile emotions of fanboys with an unhealthy attachment to a brand. Sony ain't taking your games away from you! You can still play them the same way you always have! So what is your problem exactly?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Oh no people, in this forum, said that there are reasons to buy a playstation if Sony moves all it's games to PC. 🤫 That individuals invested in their platform have nothing to worry about 👀

Yes there are reasons to buy PlayStation regardless if all the games are on PC. The same reasons why people buy Xbox. They prefer consoles. None of this changes anything for those who game on console.

Starting their own storefront like EGS would be a guaranteed flop. Epic is losing money hand over fist and they're just giving shit away for free to attract people.

I wouldn't necessarily blame them for going the Origin/Uplay/Battlenet route and releasing their own games on their own launcher, but they would probably lose more money doing that rather than just paying Valve their cut.
Most they'll do is have their own client for PS+ membership, sales where they don't have to pay Valve and other features like trophies. They can then do the EA and MS thing and have Steam launch a mini version of the PS launcher before launching the game.

Having their own storefront where they compete for 3rd party game sales and PC marketshare would be a disaster at this point. No one: not EA, not ActivisionBlizzard and not Epic has put up a fight against Steam.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Windows 11 ARM has an x86 translator so it runs everything. It's ok for some moderate PC gaming. Not going to win any awards, but its ok. Been playing the PC port of Silent Hill 4 at 4k/60. Its ok for classics, indies, 2d games, and some shooters.
I was more interested in knowing if Parallels had made any more progress on supporting DirectX 12. Last time I tried it DirectX 12 games wouldn't run on Windows ARM in Parallels. Older games were mostly ok.

Banned
Out of curiosity what's your "games with substance"?

anything that actually tries to have interesting Gamedesign and/or gameplay.

Death Stranding is memed about a lot for being a "walking simulator" but that game actually tries stuff and tries to be different. there's no game that plays quite like it or has features like it.
planning routes, building paths with tools you brought with you, using pathways other players built, terrain with different grip values, having to be mindful of your balance and the surfaces below you while traversing...
there's nothing quite like it and the devs tried to make a game that didn't exist yet.

but it's certainly not "3rd person shooter with stealth elements #7252" that I would see as a game with a lot of substance beyond a pretty look.

like how many games do we need where hiding in a bush or a high-up vantage point with a bow and arrow and/or silenced pistol is a core gameplay element?

how many games do we need that have handholdy platforming in them only to have an alibi gameplay element so it seems to the casuals to be less monotonous? if your character's jump arch or even the ability to jump is altered depending on context, that's not a gameplay element, that's filler content.

or puzzles that are literally designed to solve themselves, and if they aren't are basically solved for you by intrusive monologuing of the main character? *caugh* Horizon FW *cough*
it's filler.

and it doesn't need to be super innovative either. games can have other gameplay and design merits, like Doom Eternal, a game that's not innovative but has lots of depth which brings with it a large skill gap, meaning you can play it over and over and every time you do you learn more about the mechanics and you'll play the game almost entirely differently from when you first started it.

this can also not be said about the mainstream, dumbed down AAA titles I'm talking about. you can't get much better at semi-scripted platforming, or at shooting at stationary enemies while being stationary behind cover.
playing such a game for the first time and then again for the fifth time won't be drastically different, you might be faster because you know where everything and every enemy is, but what you actually do to beat them won't be that different.

so games with actual substance to me must have one of 2 things or both:
depth and/or innovation

the mainstream games I am talking about usually have neither.
there's no gameplay depth in Uncharted 4, neither is it innovative in any way, it's lots of gameplay elements we already had, and half of them dumbed down to be basically just filler. or what good is a climbing section you can't fail at? it's filler... it's there to fake diversity in gameplay.

and if you like Uncharted 4 and games like it (I simply used UC4 as an example here for what many games do now), that's fine, but don't act like it's not the "turn-brain-off-and-look-at-pretty-images Marvel Movie" of the gaming industry. because that's what these mainstream AAA games are. they are literally designed to be "beatable" by people who barely play videogames, just like Marvel Movies are designed to be enjoyable by people that simply want to watch mindless action.

this is why puzzles and platforming are dumbed down to no end these days, because those are elements a difficulty selection can not make easier without the developers adjusting them per difficulty setting, which in some cases would mean to actually change the level layout which would mean artists and leveldesigners would need to change whole segments of levels just so there can be an easy platforming mode.
so the easy way out in that case is to just have these elements in the game to mimic gameplay diversity, but have them be so automated and handholdy that noone can ever get stuck there.

making combat easy for everyone is not that complicated since all you really need to do as a developer here is to adjust damage values. so combat usually isn't dumbed down, it's only dumbed down if you play on the lower difficulty settings. which can be jarring when you play on Very Hard and encounters are ridiculously hard, but then the puzzle section gets basically solved for you as if you're a preschooler having helicopter parents with you.

or you go through a ridiculously hard boss fight, and afterwards the game tells you "hey press B to crouch here!" when you want to leave the area. because that's what the average player these days needs, it needs the game to tell them what to do because the average players these days aren't hobbyists, the average player nowadays is just like the average music listener, or average movie watcher.
they are not typically involved enough in games to be expected by the developers to know where the crouch button is or that they have to crouch in order to get behind that wall that blocks the way.

Last edited:

twilo99

They should just bring all of their games to Microsoft Windows!

They will most likely make their own launcher

I think the PS5 will sell less than the PS4 over its lifetime when they do day and date pc. Might not even reach 100 million. But hey, more pc sales.

This wasn't going to happen just because Xbox is more competitive this gen than last. By this time the Xbox One sales drive off a cliff, but Xbox series sales are still going strong.

Hopefully you don't mean Apple. Have you not seen the writing on the wall? MS has, and Sony is just NOW seeing it. Good for them.

I think he meant replacing Jim Ryan to reverse all his PC stuff, not a newcomer to the industry. Which likely will never happen given the costs of entry require risking billions just to test the waters.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I am a simple man. I just want:

Uncharted 3,
Last of Us,
& Bloodborne

on a system with easily replaceable parts in 10+ years. If Sony does not deliver, then emulation and pirates will.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They're coming for ya Steam. And they actually have the games and know-how to compete, unlike Epic.
Normally this would be funny but Valve needs to make a new damn game already so actual competition that isn't just moneyhatting exclusives would be great.
... wait a second....

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I was on fence before, but now this seals it. After playing Spiderman on PC...I can wait for PS5 Pro to purchase a console. Appreciate Sony doing this. Simplifies things for me. No longer interested in PS5 console.

Last edited:
Amen to that.

T-Cake

One thing I'm slightly concerned about - what if their strategy is only to port first entries of games to PC and then if you want more you have to buy a PS5. 😂

e.g. We've had Horizon Zero Dawn but we won't get Forbidden West. We've had God of War but we won't get Ragnarok.

SNG32

One thing I'm slightly concerned about - what if their strategy is only to port first entries of games to PC and then if you want more you have to buy a PS5. 😂

e.g. We've had Horizon Zero Dawn but we won't get Forbidden West. We've had God of War but we won't get Ragnarok.
Not a chance. There are probably pc players not buying the PS5 versions because they know eventually it will come on PC. I don't even think it will be a big gap in release. You will probably see Horizon Zero Dawn sometime next year 4th quarter on PC. Sony isn't letting money sit and the more closer they release on PC to PS5 the more sales they will drive.

Last edited:

Neofire

Yes there are reasons to buy PlayStation regardless if all the games are on PC. The same reasons why people buy Xbox. They prefer consoles. None of this changes anything for those who game on console.
Again not according to the individual who's post I initially responded to and he's not the only one that thinks like this on these very forums. Not to mention Im sure there are many many more that share his sentiments.

Topher

Gold Member
Again not according to the individual who's post I initially responded to and he's not the only one that thinks like this on these very forums. Not to mention Im sure there are many many more that share his sentiments.

Well if they are talking about no reason for them to get one personally....sure, whatever. If they are trying to speak for others then......well, they shouldn't speak for others at all.

Neofire

Well if they are talking about no reason for them to get one personally....sure, whatever. If they are trying to speak for others then......well, they shouldn't speak for others at all.
Just like you shouldn't speak for everyone saying "nothing will change" in regards to Sony releasing it's games on PC and it not affecting ps5 sales.

It's like some people live in this "perfect world" bubble and expect others to believe what you believe. Those "personal reasons" you are talking about for people not to buy into Sony's platforms will translate into more and more people as Sony releases more of their exclusives on PC or any other platform. It's common sense.

Topher

Gold Member
Just like you shouldn't speak for everyone saying "nothing will change" in regards to Sony releasing it's games on PC and it not affecting ps5 sales.

Not sure what you are reading. I said people are going to still want to game on consoles. That isn't speaking for anyone. That is making a prediction. Saying there is no reason for anyone to buy a PS5 is speaking for others. The difference should be incredibly clear. But you tell me, if a guy is a console gamer who plays PlayStation games.....what is changing by games being ported to PC?

It's like some people live in this "perfect world" bubble and expect others to believe what you believe. Those "personal reasons" you are talking about for people not to buy into Sony's platforms will translate into more and more people as Sony releases more of their exclusives on PC or any other platform. It's common sense.

Perhaps, but that doesn't translate into there are no reasons for others to buy a PlayStation. If you think this will impact PS unit sales then fine. That's not the point I was making.

And you can believe whatever you want, dude. Not sure where this "perfect world bubble" stuff is coming from.

Last edited:
I was on fence before, but now this seals it. After playing Spiderman on PC...I can wait for PS5 Pro to purchase a console. Appreciate Sony doing this. Simplifies things for me. No longer interested in PS5 console.

Lol, you think there is going to be a PS5 Pro when they can't get the prices down. Unless you don't mind spending $699 for a pro.

I am a simple man. I just want:

Uncharted 3,
Last of Us,
& Bloodborne

on a system with easily replaceable parts in 10+ years. If Sony does not deliver, then emulation and pirates will.

They don't even have PS3 emulation working yet in 2022, good luck with that.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Lol, you think there is going to be a PS5 Pro when they can't get the prices down. Unless you don't mind spending $699 for a pro.

They don't even have PS3 emulation working yet in 2022, good luck with that.
Get the prices down? It's been two years, you're expecting a price drop in this environment? Highly unlikely. However I'm keeping my options open for a PS5 Pro. I do believe they will come out with one. Last Gen I went Xbox One X and left alone the PS4 Pro. This time I would switch it up if I buy a console at all.

If the price is higher than 500 then I'll opt to just upgrade my PC

Get the prices down? It's been two years, you're expecting a price drop in this environment? Highly unlikely. However I'm keeping my options open for a PS5 Pro. I do believe they will come out with one. Last Gen I went Xbox One X and left alone the PS4 Pro. This time I would switch it up if I buy a console at all.

If the price is higher than 500 then I'll opt to just upgrade my PC

No, the person I quoted expected one.

But I don't think there will be Pros, we haven't even seen many games actually take advantage of the new consoles power. If we are still having that issue 2 years in then we still got room to wait.

GreatnessRD

I see people who keep saying all this is bad for sony and how releasing day and date will be a huge mistake, but this makes no sense. Why would sony be pushing for it so much if it was bad for them? It's because it isnt. Its going to make sony more money in the long run and isnt that was a business is supposed to do?

Only people affected and moaning is the fragile emotions of fanboys with an unhealthy attachment to a brand. Sony ain't taking your games away from you! You can still play them the same way you always have! So what is your problem exactly?
Another post that should be pinned. Fanboys are weird and should get some kitty.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

100% true.

They know deep down Sony will make more money out of this, so on one hand it "should" be one of those checkmarks for their list war topics.

But overriding that is walled garden ecosystems.

Even though the games still come to PS systems day one, PC ports are few and can be years later, they still feel like it's a punch in the stomach. Prices of stuff the past two years have gone up everywhere, mortgage rates are up 2%, and they probably dont give a shit. PC ports are announced and it's like being backstabbed. And if at some point PC gets the same day one launch, PS is still supported with marketing, more sales than PC and day one. That's still not enough some reason.

Their main beef is two-fold.

1. They dont like PC gamers playing PS ports or Xbox/Switch playing MLB The Show. Other gamers having fun 5000 miles away on a different piece of plastic hurts

2. That theory where if too many games go PC, all the PS console gamers will dump their consoles and buy a good PC. So even though game sales will still be there, they feel like shit because the apocalypse is supposed to happen --> PS console sales drop like a rock

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No, the person I quoted expected one.

But I don't think there will be Pros, we haven't even seen many games actually take advantage of the new consoles power. If we are still having that issue 2 years in then we still got room to wait.
Yea what's up with the blockbuster games that initially show off the new tech? I blame PC for this if I'm honest. Once consoles started trying to mimic PC's graphical progression became linear rather than exponential.

Top Bottom