• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is Looking to Expand its ‘PlayStation PC Game Experiences’ Department

https://akibon.com/sony-looking-to-expand-its-playstation-pc-game-experiences-department/

Sony is looking to expand the PlayStation PC Game Experiences department with developers that can bring more major PlayStation games to PC.

Under the playstation pc label, Sony carries out an initiative to bring some of the most renowned PlayStation titles to PC. Sony is looking to further expand the PlayStation PC department with manpower as the company aims to deliver better first-party experiences to the widely-adopted platform.

Formerly known as PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation PC emphasizes Sony’s intent to bring high-profile games to PC such as Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered and Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection. The first of these major titles was Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition from Guerrilla Games, which became a major hit on PC. Bend Studio’s days gone made the jump to PC last year. This past January, PlayStation PC released God of War on the platform with overwhelmingly positive reviews and tons of praise from players around the world.

A new job listing has surfaced for a director of product management at the PlayStation San Diego office. The director would lead the PlayStation PC Games Experiences department in several facets such as staffing, game development, and collaboration with other Sony Interactive Entertainment groups. A successful candidate for the position must have over 10 years of product experience and a “deep understanding of the video game industry, especially PC, Cross Play, and Cloud/Mobile gaming based needs.”

Although the expansion of PlayStation PC is promising, PlayStation will likely take some time to adopt day-one PC releases of its major first-party games. Fortunately, the PlayStation PC department’s expansion could hasten development and bring more games to the platform at a faster pace.

This is more than just porting PS games to PC, this is going to be a whole department they are going to build from the ground up, once they have a director to start organizing the department and get moving on staffing hires, Sony will have a part of SIE that will focus exclusively on bringing the PS experience to PC.

It's a major turn around for Sony, just in 2016 Sony was fighting against PC gaming when Andrew House said the reason for the PS4 Pro was to stop people from leaving their ecosystem to buy more graphically advantaged PC's:

https://metro.co.uk/2016/09/12/sony-names-pc-as-ps4s-main-competitor-not-xbox-one-6122877/

Sony is now embracing PC gaming, times have changed since the new leadership came in.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They're coming for ya Steam. And they actually have the games and know-how to compete, unlike Epic.

Starting their own storefront like EGS would be a guaranteed flop. Epic is losing money hand over fist and they're just giving shit away for free to attract people.

I wouldn't necessarily blame them for going the Origin/Uplay/Battlenet route and releasing their own games on their own launcher, but they would probably lose more money doing that rather than just paying Valve their cut.

Starting their own storefront like EGS would be a guaranteed flop. Epic is losing money hand over fist and they're just giving shit away for free to attract people.

I wouldn't necessarily blame them for going the Origin/Uplay/Battlenet route and releasing their own games on their own launcher, but they would probably lose more money doing that rather than just paying Valve their cut.
No, it wouldn't. Sony's first-party games could easily carry it, unlike Epic. And it sounds like they've been working on it for a long time. I don't think it will launch barebones like Epic.

ManaByte

They're coming for ya Steam. And they actually have the games and know-how to compete, unlike Epic.
807071.jpg

Stuart360

I dont think Sony are stupid enough to take their games off Steam. They may make their own launcher/store front, but they will continueto release their games on Steam as well.
Having said that, with Jim at the helm youy never know lol.

They ain't get the know-how for running a store properly. If anything they have a long history of having a hard time running the PSN store.

I don't think it will launch barebones like Epic.
It obviously would.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Ok, well when Sony DOES launch their own launcher, you guys can move the goal posts accordingly.
Whats that got to do with what you're saying?. They probably will release their own store front, but i'll bet anything that they continue to also release their games on Steam too. But like i said, with Jim you just dont know.

If Epic cant take on Steam with their Fortnite billions, weekly free games, and endless exclusivity deals, Sony certainly cant with their 3-4 games a year they release.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No, it wouldn't. Sony's first-party games could easily carry it, unlike Epic. And it sounds like they've been working on it for a long time. I don't think it will launch barebones like Epic.
Just as religious playstation fanboys are about their exclusives, pc players are equal as religious when it comes to storefronts (steam or bust)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i doubt the majority of first party will launch on day 1.
Unless Sony decided to abandon the Playstation ecosystem

Topher

Gold Member
01011001 01011001

Free to your opinion, bud. I think the mere possibility of this happening is a great thing for PC gamers. I would love for Sony to fully embrace PC as a platform.

Last edited:

Banned
01011001 01011001

Free to your opinion, bud. I think the mere possibility of this happening is a great thing for PC gamers. I would love for Sony to fully embrace PC as a platform.

I mean yeah. after all they bought 2 good studios recently... meaning they now have 2 good studios.

and having those studios release on PC is a definite win.

Banned
You are a petty man.

no, I simply don't care for games that are obviously prioritising show over substance, which sadly most of Sony's games do.
most AAA games in general actually, and most of Sony's studios make these typical mainstream AAA games that are clearly designed to be playable by mainstream game journalists 🤣 meaning they need to be really dumbed down

Last edited:

Banned
The obligatory....

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

I know, and as you might have noticed, this is a forum, something designed to publicize opinions.

crazy concept I know lol

but for real, they have Housemarque and Insomniac, the rest aren't really interesting to me. Asobi maybe, but that depends on if they make their games a bit more interesting gameplay wise, so far all they did are tech demos with no real depth.

It's honestly incredible how much they are expanding in every direction:

- their studios are getting bigger;
- their acquisition game has been bigger than ever in the past 2 years
- PC gaming is something they are betting more than ever;
- Mobile gaming is something Sony (not PlayStation) is getting bigger as well;
- PlayStation productions is working in god knows how many TV shows and movies with multiple partners, streaming services, etc

A lot is happening and a lot of investments going around. The only thing missing is something from Japan tbh

Topher

Gold Member
I know, and as you might have noticed, this is a forum, something designed to publicize opinions.

crazy concept I know lol

but for real, they have Housemarque and Insomniac, the rest aren't really interesting to me. Asobi maybe, but that depends on if they make their games a bit more interesting gameplay wise, so far all they did are tech demos with no real depth.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Insecure on HBO
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Russell

Hopefully one day a new leader comes in and they completely reverse all this pc stuff.
I agree. It's fucking awful. The thing that made Sony's first party games so special, was the fact that they were built from the ground up to take advantage of the console's strengths, and could be played only on that console. Now, since that is no longer the case, the games will lose that specialness and will be more forgettable.

Imagine the howls of indignation if fans of Nintendo's mainline Mario and Zelda games were officially coming to the personal computer -- there would be murder in the streets. I swear, I'm convinced those who claim to be happy about Sony's games coming to the personal computer would love it if Sony were to exit the hardware business and become a software business only. No one gave a shit about Sega once they pulled the plug on Dreamcast and went software only.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I agree. It's fucking awful. The thing that made Sony's first party games so special, was the fact that they were built from the ground up to take advantage of the console's strengths, and could be played only on that console. Now, since that is no longer the case, the games will lose that specialness and will be more forgettable.

Imagine the howls of indignation if fans of Nintendo's mainline Mario and Zelda games were officially coming to the personal computer -- there would be murder in the streets. I swear, I'm convinced those who claim to be happy about Sony's games coming to the personal computer would love it if Sony were to exit the hardware business and become a software business only. No one gave a shit about Sega once they pulled the plug on Dreamcast and went software only.
I mean I don't buy the PS5 because of the hardware I bought it to play their games but give me the chance to buy said games for my PC in higher settings, frame rates well everything?

Ghost of Tsushima 2 at 180 fps on my Predator X35 ultra wide?

What my future 4090 says to all those Sony PC games

Sexy Jessica Alba GIF

ACESHIGH

Banned
Who cares about building a team. Just tell nixxes to port Bloodborne. I'll save Jim Ryan some time and write down the e mail he has to send nixxes:

Subject: ACTION REQUIRED. Bloodborne PC port

Hey guys,

I know you are busy patching up spiderman and also working on miles morales through september. Once you cross that out from your list give the team some rest and let's work on the following:

Let's port Bloodborne to PC and also use that version as a baseline for a PS5 release later. Had a meeting with the shareholders and they seemed puzzled about the success of Eden ring. We need to get a piece of that action. Let's make sure the PC version has the following features:

-Arbitrary resolution support.
-60 FPS. Higher framerate support would be nice to have but I'll let you guys decide.
- uncompressed textures
- texture filtering
- cromátic aberration toggle
- DLSS/FSR

I was thinking about releasing this in Q3 2023. Let me know how feasible this is. Also let me know if you don't all the source materials from Japan I may have to chime in.

PD: There's a guy camping outside my house. He is getting on my nerves. Wears a cowboy hat, I think he goes by Bryan or something. Hopefully he goes away soon, not sure what he wants...

Kind regards

Banned

I mean I can give you a quick and easy example.

In Uncharted 4 there are multiple fake obstacles that look like platforming sequences but in reality are scripted/handholdy to the point where the devs literally won't let you make a mistake and just wont let you jump unless all the moving parts are lineiup correctly.

dumbed down, because they are afraid they'll lose all the casuals if they have to actually time their jumps.

Top Bottom