• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s (only producing about 1 million for the entire year)

Ah, yeah there are a few of those types of issues just like all ”full BC”-games. It’s not much different from any other PS4 games, and it at least offers a 60fps mode unlike many other.

I thought you meant it had crashes/glitches different to most other games.
That is the only ps4 game i’ve seen with the texture issues on ps5. Not sure why you’re saying that.

Topher

Gold Member
May 29, 2020

That headline doesn't match what Ryan actually said:

"We have always said that we believe in generations," Ryan said. "We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Still waiting on that "clean break" quote.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"A Sony spokesperson confirmed PS4 production would continue this year and said the company had not planned to stop making the console. "
Cant See Cheech Marin GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do you people even read? LOL

They are making 1 million PS4s for all of 2022! Literally ONE MILLION. That's not enough to push devs to make even more PS4 games in 2023.
No, but the existing 100 million plus might.

Also, it sounds real stupid and implausible that Sony were gonna stop production on the PS4 just one year after the PS5 launched. Why knee cap your last gen console which is still selling real well, drop the price and make it sell even more ala PS2 Slim.

Kdad

I was plannng on picking up a PS4 when the PS5 came out and the inevitable last gen price reduction happened. It never happened (at least to a price point im ok with)...Now I'm likely leaping from PS3 to PS5 when it becomes available and I'll get those top PS4 games from PS+.

My collection will have a gap :(

Topher

Gold Member
Ignoring your hostility, as if companies work in a single monolithic plan.

Why did PS5 have backward compatibility? Will it continue to have backward compatibility or will it be removed like PS4 or PS3?

Because PS5 maintained the AMD architecture of PS4 while PS4 was dramatically different than the PS3's cell architecture.

Vognerful

Because PS5 maintained the AMD architecture of PS4 while PS4 was dramatically different than the PS3's cell architecture.
Yeah, so different circumstances could make different plans. Your answer is not invalidating my initial comment.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, so different circumstances could make different plans. Your answer is not invalidating my initial comment.

Not sure what comment you are referring to. You asked why PS5 had BC and that's what I answered. Are you talking about your comment suggesting PS3 remained in production in order to outsell 360? That's just speculation, nothing to invalidate.

I didn’t exprerience more texture loading issues than in for example FF7R and the Arkham games. Was the game entirely installed when you played it?
Those games are unreal engine, that’s why they have texture issues. I’ve not tried them
on ps5, but if they fully load in there’s no BC issue. Returnal on ps5 has texture loading delay as well.

In shadow, the issue is textures may not fully load in at all.

Lognor

Banned
Wait, can someone clarify?

Is it a million units TOTAL for 2022?

Or a million units MORE than they produced in 2021?

They're not the same thing and Bloomberg is not clear on this.

buenoblue

I'm not too fussed about crossgen. Give me high res 60fps ps4 games on ps5 and I'm happy. Resi 8, Valhalla, fenyx, 60fps horizon zero dawn, days gone and GOT all looked and played amazing on Ps5. After playing the matrix Ps5 demo I don't want to go back to 30fps. DONT MAKE ME GO BACK TO 30FPS PLEEEAAASSSSEEE!!!

Lupin25

Isn’t series S aimed at the same group of people who would now go out and buy a ps4 now though? They can get a next gen console and still play the last gen games as well as all future games? Seems like a win win.

This is presuming that most won’t continue with the same ecosystem they’ve invested in, regardless of what’s available.

My nephew doesn’t want an Xbox just because a PS isn’t available, it’s because he’s never had one.

No, but the existing 100 million plus might.

Also, it sounds real stupid and implausible that Sony were gonna stop production on the PS4 just one year after the PS5 launched. Why knee cap your last gen console which is still selling real well, drop the price and make it sell even more ala PS2 Slim.

Yeah, the existing 100 mil. has no additional bearing or apposition with a continued 1 mil. in manufactured consoles.

The games that are being developed for a 100+ mil. would’ve already been in production long before this article existed lol.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Cross gen for PS4/PS5 until at least the end of 2023, calling it now. Likely not a single Sony PS5 exclusive this year and maybe 1-2 next year.

Stinks for those early PS5 adopters! Could have held onto your PS4 for several more years!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Ups, yikes. Guess console gaming is dead guys, time to look for a new hobby.

Nah but really, didn't those guys keep making their old consoles far after releasing the new one? Only concern could be, if the PS5 drought continues, the cross-gen period might increase.

Topher

Gold Member
Cross gen for PS4/PS5 until at least the end of 2023, calling it now. Likely not a single Sony PS5 exclusive this year and maybe 1-2 next year.

Stinks for those early PS5 adopters! Could have held onto your PS4 for several more years!

Right....because PS5 isn't going to have any visual or performance advantage over PS4.....

200.gif

Lognor

Banned
Ups, yikes. Guess console gaming is dead guys, time to look for a new hobby.

Nah but really, didn't those guys keep making their old consoles far after releasing the new one? Only concern could be, if the PS5 drought continues, the cross-gen period might increase.
Yes, but they typically scale back production. Sony is making a million more PS4s than they did last year. They're increasing production!

Right....because PS5 isn't going to have any visual or performance advantage over PS4.....

200.gif
Same difference as XSX and XSS. They play the same games, except with better fidelity on the PS5.

You can play every game (except three, I believe) on your PS4. For a lot of people that's probably not worth the $500!

Last edited:

skit_data

Yes, but they typically scale back production. Sony is making a million more PS4s than they did last year. They're increasing production!
No, if I understood it correctly they did produce an unknown amount of PS4s last year and the article saids that they allegedly, according to an anonymous source were to cut production entirely this year but officially won’t.

This article is a storm in a teapot.

Lognor

Banned
No, if I understood it correctly they did produce an unknown amount of PS4s last year and the article saids that they allegedly, according to an anonymous source were to cut production entirely this year but officially won’t.

This article is a storm in a teapot.
Okay, that's interesting. Yeah, it isn't entirely clear. I googled it and there are a number of articles, but I think these other articles are just taking the information from Bloomberg.

So, at a minimum, they are not scaling back production. And all things being equal, that means they will be able to produce fewer PS5s this year than they would have otherwise.

Topher

Gold Member
Same difference as XSX and XSS. They play the same games, except with better fidelity on the PS5.

You can play every game (except three, I believe) on your PS4. For a lot of people that's probably not worth the $500!

lol....wrong. Sony still cannot make enough PS5s to meet demand.

And all things being equal, that means they will be able to produce fewer PS5s this year than they would have otherwise.

Wait....what? You think Sony is doing this so they can decrease PS5 production?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, the existing 100 mil. has no additional bearing or apposition with a continued 1 mil. in manufactured consoles.

The games that are being developed for a 100+ mil. would’ve already been in production long before this article existed lol.

That may not necessarily be true, don't be surprised if at least one or more dev scramble to announce downported versions to last-gen that may not have been announced/known before.

Lognor

Banned
lol....wrong. Sony still cannot make enough PS5s to meet demand.
What was wrong about my statement? Are there more than 3 exclusives? There is Demons Souls, Returnal and Rachet and Clank. What else is there? Maybe there are a few more I missed, but still, the vast majority of games can be played on a PS4, without the need for a PS5.

We weren't talking about demand so not sure why you're deflecting???

Topher

Gold Member
What was wrong about my statement? Are there more than 3 exclusives? There is Demons Souls, Returnal and Rachet and Clank. What else is there? Maybe there are a few more I missed, but still, the vast majority of games can be played on a PS4, without the need for a PS5.

We weren't talking about demand so not sure why you're deflecting???

Come on....

"For a lot of people that's probably not worth the $500!"

That is referring directly to demand.

On Demand

Banned
That headline doesn't match what Ryan actually said:

"We have always said that we believe in generations," Ryan said. "We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Still waiting on that "clean break" quote.

People really thought “believe in generations” only means games or something.

He was talking about the entire platform.

Games
graphics
Controller
UI
Console design
SSD

Going by general opinions and reviews, they’ve delivered exactly that.

only 1m? PS4 dropped off way faster than i expected but thats probably because sony are very tight with price cuts. it never did officialy go down to $199 did it?

skit_data

And all things being equal, that means they will be able to produce fewer PS5s this year than they would have otherwise
I’m not entirely sure there is such a correlation, the components required to build PS4s may not be in shortage. The relatively low production may point to the components having already been manufactured i.e won’t impact PS5 production.

Would be stupid if it does though, but they have every reason not to hurt their own PS5 production.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Come on....

"For a lot of people that's probably not worth the $500!"

That is referring directly to demand.
What that dude's trying to say is that 500$ (or 400$) seems like a bad value proposition for what so far has been just a PS4 Pro Pro, which I agree with.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What that dude's trying to say is that 500$ (or 400$) seems like a bad value proposition for what so far has been just a PS4 Pro Pro, which I agree with.
I don't. Definitely getting my $400 worth with all them first party 60fps+ framerate goodness that I was accustomed to on the PC.

Demand isn't slowing down, FUDtards.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Doesn’t soud great if goal was to stop cross gen ports. Just speed up pc ports and it will be fine.

On Demand

Banned
I’m laughing at all the Series S validation post.

The least selling and least demanded console is justified by Sony making just 1M PS4 for the year.

Ok.

Lognor

Banned
I don't. Definitely getting my $400 worth with all them first party 60fps+ goodness I enjoy on the PC.

Demand isn't slowing down, FUDtards.
So you have a capable PC and you still think the PS5 is a a good value? Well, okay then. And "all them first party games" you can count on one hand. $500 for that (thus far). I'm glad I flipped every PS5 I got my hands on instead of holding on to one. That is a bad value proposition for me.

TtRbuD8.jpg

Most sought after console ever.

That's what we're going with? :messenger_tears_of_joy: That is on par with some of the statements Microsoft makes to spin their success.

And plus, that's the Switch, not PS5. Switch will go on to be the best selling console ever. How can that not be the most sought after console ever?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I don't. Definitely getting my $400 worth with all them first party 60fps+ goodness I enjoy on the PC.
Sorry mate but I don't understand your post. What do you mean with the bolded part?

Clearly the gaming public disagrees. I certainly do. Both Xbox and PlayStation are in the same boat in this regard and neither can be found on store shelves.
Don'r care about the public, I was just speaking for myself.

And if you ask me, this "new" gen so far fucking sucks for both Xbox and PS5. No consoles, almost no new gen games... I will love to get one of those systems (probably PS5) but that'll happen once the value proposition is interesting enough, like giving me something my older console and current system, a PS4 Pro and a PC, can't.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So you have a capable PC and you still think the PS5 is a a good value? Well, okay then. And "all them first party games" you can count on one hand. $500 for that (thus far). I'm glad I flipped every PS5 I got my hands on instead of holding on to one. That is a bad value proposition for me.
Yes, there are certain games I cannot play on the PC and at times enjoy couch play.

There have been plenty of last gen games I have yet to play in my backlog, that I am now enjoying the nicer framerates with.

I work hard and have a disposable income 🤷‍♀️
Sorry mate but I don't understand your post. What do you mean with the bolded part?
That I find value in these new machines due to being able to enjoy framerates that I was accustomed to on the PC. The framerate boosts alone are worth it.

TintoConCasera

That I find value in these new machines due to being able to enjoy framerates that I was accustomed to on the PC. The framerate boosts alone are worth it.
Ah okay, thanks mate. I guess it could be worth it if you can't have your PC on your living room and still want to enjoy 60fps on the couch.

But man, aside from that I (personal opinion based on my circustances) don't see many reasons for getting the newer systems. Hopefully we start seeing more new games that pull all the juice out of those consoles and the cross gen nonsense fucks off.

Topher

Gold Member

Perhaps if you played some games on those PS5s instead of flipping them then you might have a different perspective. I'm more inclined to game on Xbox and/or PS5 than PC at this point due to the substantial reduction in loading times. I fired up Halo Infinite on PC all of one time. Same for Forza Horizon 5. Stark difference in that regard. And like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma said, we are finally getting PC level performance on consoles. But if you just want to flip consoles rather than play the games then that's up to you.

Don'r care about the public, I was just speaking for myself.

And if you ask me, this "new" gen so far fucking sucks for both Xbox and PS5. No consoles, almost no new gen games... I will love to get one of those systems (probably PS5) but that'll happen once the value proposition is interesting enough, like giving me something my older console and current system, a PS4 Pro and a PC, can't.

Fair enough. I've enjoyed the consoles thus far myself. To each their own.

mckmas8808

Banned
It's the exact same game at a better framerate for $400. I'm not selling my PS5 but it's not difficult to see why people would at this point if they're not interested in the literal handful of actual PS5 exclusives.

You guys are just trolls at this point. Let me guess.......you fully support yourself and others buying a Xbox Series S though right?

Top Bottom