• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Being Defensive With The PS5 – And That Is A Smart Move

Birdo

Banned
Im here to tell you that us at Neogaf is trying to make a hospitable place for everyone

Making it a safe and comfortable place to discuss about games and others

Trolling certainly isnt welcomed

Dont you agree?

Criticising isn't trolling, Anita.

My post was pointing out that Sony know that their are many fans that will forgive anything as long as they get more TLOU 2 footage.

It's annoying to those of us who want more than that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Criticising isn't trolling, Anita.

My post was pointing out that Sony know that their are many fans that will forgive anything as long as they get more TLOU 2 footage.

It's annoying to those of us who want more than that.

Cringe Sony Is Being Defensive With The PS5 – And That Is A Smart Move
Sony know that all they have to do is roll out another clip of Stabby Dyke (The Last of Us 2) and their fans will cream themselves.
This isnt criticizing

Youre fully aware what youre doing here

Youre not doing anyone a favor by instigating people

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I want to say that there are highly educated and highly paid people specializing in marketing making these decisions that know what they're doing 100x better than us.

But then I think of system launches like the Sega Saturn, the Wii U and the Xbox One and realize that is not always the case.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I want to say that there are highly educated and highly paid people specializing in marketing making these decisions that know what they're doing 100x better than us.

But then I think of system launches like the Sega Saturn, the Wii U and the Xbox One and realize that is not always the case.
Well, thank you for saying nothing then.

Birdo

Banned
Cringe Sony Is Being Defensive With The PS5 – And That Is A Smart Move
Sony know that all they have to do is roll out another clip of Stabby Dyke (The Last of Us 2) and their fans will cream themselves.
This isnt criticizing

Youre fully aware what youre doing here

Youre not doing anyone a favor by instigating people

Jesus christ, go outside and get some fresh air or something :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Ironically, you're the one derailing the thread with your constanty whining.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Jesus christ, go outside and get some fresh air or something :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Ironically, you're the one derailing the thread with your constanty whining.

This isnt an excuses for you to tell people what to do

Perhaps fix your manners first before telling others what to do ok buddy?

Why dont you go outside yourself

Because that sounds like a great idea at the moment

Were actually agreeing at each other on this

Last edited:

yurinka

I think Sony isn't defensive. I think they just don't give a fuck.

This generation they are dominating the hardware sales, software sales, 1st party quantity and quality of games that are selling better than most of their studios ever did, marketing deals with the main 3rd party multi games, game subscription service, game streaming service and non-mobile VR and so on.

Just making the common sense stuff strategy of continuing with the same plan but adding the proper next gen improvements (and seems it's the case for what we know officialy, and from what is rumored/leaked: same hardware architecture but more powerful, full BC, improved next gen PS Now, super fast SSD, RT, etc.) they will dominate again. Basically now they only need to make sure that the price isn't too expensive I'd say max $499, but $399 if possible and to make sure that in terms of horsepower aren't way below Xbox.

Are you implying about Industrial espionage? Do you think AMD is telling to MS about Sony hardware and vice versa?
I'd bet they agreed to use pretty much the same hardware to reduce costs faster and to make sure they have similar horsepower, something that also benefits the 3rd party publishers.

pr0cs

All I know Sony's messaging (or lack thereof) is fucking terrible. Skipping gaming conventions, zero communication to their audience. Not even a peep around when they do plan on talking.
There is not a good way to keep your customers engaged.
I'm excited about both boxes but Sony really shit the bed the last few years in regards to messaging.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Well I haven't really kept up to date with the Flop news for next-gen but Sony are probably quiet because they are having issues with the hardware, I read that Sony are struggling with parts so Microsoft are probably further ahead on finalising their console and happy to talk about specs whereas Sony are still working out the final specification and component sourcing.

Yep total speculation but you don't announce something when you have very little to show. Sony could do a Apple type release where it's announced and available to buy the week after, who knows🤷‍♂️ My only concern for next gen is pricing. It's all well and good having these uber powerful boxes but if they end up costing £499 or £599 then I won't be picking one up until its been out for a few years.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
😂😂

Man MS is bringing out the best from the Sony crowd. What about them working harder and actually being able to present something?

We went from two months of constant pretending that PS5 would be revealed in February to an Xbox Series X reveal in February and constant pretending that Sony doesn't have to show anything yet. What a crazy 24 hours it have been.

Imagine this though:

While MS is boasting about their XSX without anything substantial to show and even saying it will lack XSX exclusive games for at least a year, Sony might just as easily be quiet while they get actual 1st party PS5 exclusives ready for a reveal where they come blowing MS away right out the gate.

The lack of communication is already lowering expectations, making it even easier for Sony to do so.

No doubt Sony working on amazing games , I can't see a follow up to GOD of War or Drakes V being ready soon, maybe we might have a new Killzone game ready or Zero Dawn . No major console corp, shows off games before the BIG reveal

I would imagine MS will have Playground open world game , Forza 8 and Halo Infinite almost ready to Go. It could also be nothing more , than SONY just didn't expect MS to talk openly so early too .

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No doubt Sony working on amazing games , I can't see a follow up to GOD of War or Drakes V being ready soon, maybe we might have a new Killzone game ready or Zero Dawn . No major console corp, shows off games before the BIG reveal

I would imagine MS will have Playground open world game , Forza 8 and Halo Infinite almost ready to Go. It could also be nothing more , than SONY just didn't expect MS to talk openly so early too .
Look back at the launch of the PS4 it was quite lacklustre, Driveclub looked great but got 4 month delay.

Hopefully the big guns will be out for launch day one on both consoles

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The reality is that Sony have got an absolutely killer software line-up this year, most of which is going to launch well before the next-gen hype-train needs to start rolling in earnest.

Look at it from their standpoint. If they can get a new buyer in for PS4 at this stage, its going to be worth more income to them than a new buyer of PS5 at launch because the margins are better on the "old" hardware and the infrastructure for further transactions (MAU) is already in place. And then of course if that new buyer is wowed by TLOU2 or whatever on PS4, its a good incentive for them to get a PS5 further on down the line to get the fully "maxed out" experience. The same logic applies to all the big titles they have ready to release.

MS want to "clear the table" and start over because basically the situation with OneS/X hasn't changed at all. Exclusives are still thin on the ground and inferior as sales drivers to Sony's stable of heavy hitters, they are still languishing in hardware sales, and the income from the service side is basically a constant.

Xbox has basically nothing to lose at this point, whereas Sony are still in a strong position with current-gen product to leverage.

No one knows why except Sony. Sony fanboys will say they are being smart and showing confidence, Xbox fanboys will say they are running scared and it proves inferior hardware.
No one knows. Sony just want to do it at their own pace it seems, and wont be drawn into a dick measuring contest.
/thread

Shakka43

However waiting for the competition to show price does show a lack of confidence, Sony should know what price there console is good value for gamers, the fact that they are waiting for ms shows a lack of confidence which is never good in business.
Does this only work one way, or does Microsoft not yet announcing their X Series price show a lack of confidence too?

I just want Sony to hurry up and reveal some specs so I can read all the delicious console battle threads that will appear. Its like ice cream on a hot summer day.

JLB

Banned
wont blame the writer, he gets paid based on clicks. ms announces that machine is a best -> sony fans looking for a comfortable piece. it would exactly happen the other way around.

H4ze

Why should this be considered a smart move? It's just plain stupid in my eyes.
Right now, my money goes to XSX, it will be hard for Sony to actually change my mind.

I mean, I will get both of them anyway down the road, but the second of them not before a price drop for sure.

NickFire

If MS stays on offense and presses every time Sony gets the ball, then the MS claim that Sony is not their true next generation competitor could end up looking realistic down the road. The perfect storm would be PS5 specs coming in around 9 TF, and MS then subsidizing the hardware to match Sony price.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Does this only work one way, or does Microsoft not yet announcing their X Series price show a lack of confidence too?
Microsoft have shown their hand, they have shown something and they are at E3 they can now wait and see what Sony has to offer. No lack of confidence when they was first out of the gate to show what they have

ethomaz

Banned
Well and if Sony made a plan to give info and reveal PS5 thought 2020... they are following that plan.

Why should they be defensive or offensive based on what others do?
Better why should they change the plans based in what the others do?

IMO MS is desperate to seek gamers attention something Sony never had to do.

Like I said before one Sony event revealing PS5 and all MS did up to now will mean nothing.

hunthunt

Banned

This generation they are dominating the hardware sales, software sales, 1st party quantity and quality of games that are selling better than most of their studios ever did, marketing deals with the main 3rd party multi games, game subscription service, game streaming service and non-mobile VR and so on.

Just making the common sense stuff strategy of continuing with the same plan but adding the proper next gen improvements (and seems it's the case for what we know officialy, and from what is rumored/leaked: same hardware architecture but more powerful, full BC, improved next gen PS Now, super fast SSD, RT, etc.) they will dominate again. Basically now they only need to make sure that the price isn't too expensive I'd say max $499, but $399 if possible and to make sure that in terms of horsepower aren't way below Xbox.

I'd bet they agreed to use pretty much the same hardware to reduce costs faster and to make sure they have similar horsepower, something that also benefits the 3rd party publishers.

Ding ding ding, the only correct answer.

You win a cookie 🍪

Mista

Banned
lol, how is that irrelevant.
So what if people are talking about? Its Playstation at the end. Even my father talks about it

giphy.gif

Yes arrogant Sony is back

Metnut

I think I’m in the same mindset as a lot of other happy PS4 owners and just not too concerned about the next gen right now. FF7 Remake, Last of Us2, Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 are all games I’m super excited for and are going to take me a long time (well into 2021) to play through.

Maybe after I’m done with those games I’ll start thinking about next gen. Trying to finish DQ11 on draconian quest right now and the game is massive.

I guess my point is that is doesn’t really matter long-term whether Sony releases PS5 specs in April or July. Might as well just play games in meantime.

Barnabot

Oh if Sony doesn't reveal, something is wrong, it's the end of the world, Sony is doomed...….

Guess what, Sony will reveal at their own time, not on your time, theirs. Certainly not from pressure from mostly XBOX fans....

I was about to give a like this post until the next the sentence.

....PS will dominate next gen anyway, they can reveal 1 day before release and they will still win next gen...…..

b4ylC57.gif

goddammit. you let your fanboyism take the best of you.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I love these twists on Sony not showing anything really new in the last 2 years

defensive is a pretty big stretch
I still can't get over they've already announced they won't be at E3. I mean, like, did they predict the Coronavirus would be there and decided early to bail???

This is the start of a new gen, and they won't be there??? Xbox already showing form factor and hard numbers for hardware before E3 pretty much puts E3 2020 as a beacon. This is the time and Sony won't be there. Just fucking weird!

And, yeah. This article is some Thanos levels of spin.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Oh if Sony doesn't reveal, something is wrong, it's the end of the world, Sony is doomed...….

Guess what, Sony will reveal at their own time, not on your time, theirs. Certainly not from pressure from mostly XBOX fans....PS will dominate next gen anyway, they can reveal 1 day before release and they will still win next gen...…..
I'll take that bet. Sony WILL NOT dominate next gen. They'll have a fight on their hands for sure. They may win next gen inevitably. But it won't be a complete balls out victory like this one. Hell no! Clearly their already struggling.

GymWolf

While Sony is smart they have always been bitches, they lead the market but can't actually lead the market.

They always wait for their competition so they can position themselves. Sure this is a smart move but it lacks confidence and leadership qualities. I mean even as we speak they've straight up said they're waiting on Microsoft for price so they can set theirs for the PS5.

That's pretty pathetic.
Do they really said that?

Top Bottom