• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is apparently in talks to buy Arc System Works

Shifty1897

This... actually makes sense. Sony is the only first party that doesn't have a fighting game franchise (PlayStation All-stars doesnt count), and they just bought EVO.

Shifty1897 this one stamps this rumor PLAUSIBLE.

AmuroChan

Would be a great buy, but dont they only release their games on pc and ps anyway? Maybe Sony has some awesome plans for a fighting franchise.

No, only certain games. Double Dragon IV, for example, came to XBox in 2017. They also publish games that are multiplatform, such as River City Girls, Code Shifter, Wizard's Symphony, etc.

tmlDan

Considering they own Funimation, Crunchyroll and EVO. It actually makes a lot of sense.
Honestly, i've been dreaming of a time where anime games are actually good because very few of them are. With Sony's backing im hoping anime games get the budget they deserve because its growing incredibly fast with Demon Slayer and Attack on Titan. The Demon slayer movie was #1 in the US box office...thats a bit insane and the DVD/Blu Ray sold a million copies in like 3 days or something.

Arc can make some pretty amazing anime games, not just fighting, so this would make a ton of sense.

tbh, microsoft was rumored to purchase other studios as well lol, including Sega.

The Netherrealm acquisition has legs—it’s been made public already the Warner/Discovery merger is looking to shed their video game developers/investments and focus on streaming content. Microsoft has more than enough cash to buy all of the developers out from under Warner/Discovery.

Conversely, Japan has regulations that would make Microsoft owning Sega difficult. Not impossible…just difficult.

I don't get the argument that an acquisition only makes sense if it takes away games from a competitor, an acquisition gives the studio more time and resources to make better games, allows your other studios to collaborate with the new studios, gives you all the money from their games, and lets you potentially expand that studio to make more games for you. If this is true it would be a smart get for Sony given their ownership of EVO and anime. And for those of you who think it's pointless because Xbox doesn't get their games already, I mean Bioware, Remedy, Moon, and Respawn all started off as Xbox only studios that now are multiplatform devs, so buying them could keep them as a Playstation brand. I will always be in favor of acquisitions over timed exclusives which don't do anything to benefit the games, only helping the platform holder

wipeout364

Anybody who likes Arc systems games owns a Playstation. It does nothing except give stability to the developer. There is no market share gain or mindshare gain with this purchase. Arc systems has always struck me as pretty independent so this would surprise me but development costs are high and I would guess the games Arc sells are selling pretty low numbers in 2021.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Anybody who likes Arc systems games owns a Playstation. It does nothing except give stability to the developer. There is no market share gain or mindshare gain with this purchase. Arc systems has always struck me as pretty independent so this would surprise me but development costs are high and I would guess the games Arc sells are selling pretty low numbers in 2021.
Microsoft is very interested in the Japanese market, Sony better snag asap!

Microsoft could even buy any hentai game developer anytime to compete with Sony, we never know.

wipeout364

Microsoft is very interested in the Japanese market, Sony better snag asap!

Microsoft could even buy any hentai game developer anytime to compete with Sony, we never know.
I don’t think this would be a company Microsoft would be interested in. Of course the acquisition cost would likely be low, so maybe for game pass.

Fredrik

LOL fighting game on PC.
Yes fighting game on PC, they’re usually better than on consoles. Unless Sony change their stance on late PC ports I can’t see this aqcuisition as a good thing. Sony is always the worst case scenario for devs that make games on other platforms. Well, no, Nintendo is worse 😕

Varteras

Gold Member
While I doubt the accuracy of this leaker, the move would make perfect sense. Especially if someone else was sniffing around for a purchase. I've said it before. Arc System Works would be a very solid acquisition for PlayStation. They have no studios that make fighting games. They're clearly interested in having a very commanding presence in the fighting game community. Becoming a co-owner of the biggest fighting game tournament in the world was a pretty good indication of this. Having fighting game franchises to call your own would be a great step for them to diversify their offerings but EVO could also very much be used as a gigantic marketing tool for them as well.

ASW is one of the best in the business when it comes to quality fighting games and it also meshes well with Sony's surging interest in being a behemoth in the anime industry. They have a long history with PlayStation that has included exclusivity of some of their games and even the ones that were multiplatform were often much more associated with that brand. It's not a small studio (over 160 people) but it's not a large one and it's not an Insomniac, so the asking price is unlikely to be that high. The studio has also been known to frequently release games. Often multiple projects per year. In fact, since the studio was founded in 1988, they've only had two years where they didn't release something. Once in 1996 and again in 2002. So they're very prolific.

A purchase by Sony could open them up to cash and resources they don't normally have access to. It would be mutually beneficial to both parties.

Last edited:
Arc System Works release their games on PlayStation and PC the same day. They're not going to be bought out by Sony who would have them wait a year or longer to release games on PC.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I wish still this acquisition speculation and celebration would stop already. Would be nice if first parties would groom their own talent instead of trying to buy tickets to the party.

Feel like there are studios they could better use their money on. From a competitive stand point why buy a studio that already makes exclusive games from you. You competition doesn’t really lose much and the gains you make seem small to buying some other more third party oriented studio.

perkelson

560.png

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Hmmm....

A rumor tweet from Dealer regarding positive Playstation news = immediately believed and discussed.

An Xbox positive Tweet from same person immediately get slammed as fake and Dealer = trash fanboy.

Got it.

Varteras

Gold Member
Feel like there are studios they could better use their money on. From a competitive stand point why buy a studio that already makes exclusive games from you. You competition doesn’t really lose much and the gains you make seem small to buying some other more third party oriented studio.
Guilty Gear and BlazBlue aren't as well known as Doom, The Elder Scrolls etc.

Arc System Works already release their games on PlayStation and not Xbox, so I doubt Sony would bother acquiring them.

Because a lot of their games aren't THAT exclusive. A good example as to why you might buy a studio is Xbox. They're buying studios to make sure they have something to offer on their platform you can't get on any other console. It helps to increase the value proposition. That studio will focus on what they want them to. It also takes away the possibility of that studio being bought by your competitor and doing the same to you. Also because growing studios internally can take a little while and building brand new studios is very difficult. Especially if you want big things from them as soon as possible. Buying an established studio to get the kinds of games you're looking for now is so much faster and more likely to bear the fruit you need.

teezzy

Banned
As long as I still get their games on PC day one

The worst thing about this console war bidding is when it affects PC. Yes, we're getting Sony games... but I don't want to be robbed of franchises which I've already been enjoying as part of their attempt to dominate the console space. PC is outside of that, and should remain as such

EDMIX

Thats crazy if true.

I don't play much fighting games these days, but I know the team is deeply respected for their 2D fighting games. With Sony buying out those Anime companies, buying Evo and now this rumor, maybe they want to do a Sony published fighting game of some major Anime IP that they bought (anyone of em tbh lol) and maybe they are waiting until those license run out with those deals with companies like Namco Bandi etc. Who knows at this point.

Rolla

Banned
They still do after that clip became public knowledge? Jeez

There are more than a few of his rants online. The ones I've heard... Sheesh lol. But yeah certain execs still fuck with him because he's a sycophant over their chosen box. Sycophant to the point where he attaches the harshest of diatribes if you don't subscribe to his particular point of view.

More importantly... He single handedly exposes how hollows these execs are. Despite all of them getting numerous tweets for years about his abhorrent rants, they still gravitate towards him and go on his show...

ANd then talk about inclusivity and diversity to any camera pointed at them? It's a really weird but transparent situation.

Varteras

Gold Member
NR would be better
That assumes that NRS is even available for purchase or that their asking price, if they are, wasn't deemed too high. As far as I know, none of the Warner Bros studios are currently up for grabs and will be transitioned to Discovery as planned. The only exception being Playdemic, a mobile developer, that EA just bought for $1.4 billion. I can assure you that in the event NRS is made available for acquisition the competition for it will be fierce and EA has already been making it very clear they want to gobble up the Warner Bros studios since last year. None of the other companies who are worth a damn that make fighting games (Capcom, Bandai Namco, NRS) are likely available. So if Sony was looking for a studio to make exclusive fighting games for them, ASW was the most likely of the four to be up for acquisition and they fit very well with Sony's apparent plans. Not to mention being in a much more digestible price range.

Last edited:

ZiriusOne

Why the fuck would they be selling to Sony when ArcSys just had their biggest success ever on PC with GGST? GGST is doing better on PC than on Playstation 4/5.

I truly hope this isn't true. I wanna keep enjoying my ArcSys games on PC.

EDMIX

That assumes that NRS is even available for purchase or that their asking price, if they are, wasn't deemed too high. As far as I know, none of the Warner Bros studios are currently up for grabs and will be transitioned to Discovery as planned. The only exception being Playdemic, a mobile developer, that EA just bought for $1.4 billion. I can assure you that in the event NRS is made available for acquisition the competition for it will be fierce and EA has already been making it very clear they want to gobble up the Warner Bros studios since last year. None of the other companies who are worth a damn that make fighting games (Capcom, Bandai Namco, NRS) are likely available. So if Sony was looking for a studio to make exclusive fighting games for them, AWS was the most likely of the four to be up for acquisition and they fit very well with Sony's apparent plans. Not to mention being in a much more digestible price range.

This....this is why you here.

Well thought out and I forgot about Warner Bros open to that buy out lol I wouldn't be shocked if EA bought their teams. I think it might be a better fit then if Sony does. Who knows. Sony did say they are still seeking acquisitions and its hard to gauge if they are just saying that to troll and already actually bought a team and will wait to announce it as some event, or if indeed they are actively still looking.

Varteras

Gold Member
Why the fuck would they be selling to Sony when ArcSys just had their biggest success ever on PC with GGST? GGST is doing better on PC than on Playstation 4/5.

I truly hope this isn't true. I wanna keep enjoying my ArcSys games on PC.
If they were looking for stability and Sony was looking for a fighting game studio of their own and enough money was offered, they're not going to care that much. Their games will still come to PC eventually. Who knows. PlayStation may even decide to make an exception for their games and release them day and date with PC. At least certain franchises like Guilty Gear.

This....this is why you here.

Well thought out and I forgot about Warner Bros open to that buy out lol I wouldn't be shocked if EA bought their teams. I think it might be a better fit then if Sony does. Who knows. Sony did say they are still seeking acquisitions and its hard to gauge if they are just saying that to troll and already actually bought a team and will wait to announce it as some event, or if indeed they are actively still looking.
I would have to agree on NRS being a better fit at EA than Sony. Plus, I'm really not a big fan of long established, beloved, multiplatform franchises suddenly not being available to platforms they used to be on. No one would really be affected much if Guilty Gear or BlazBlue never found their way to Nintendo or Xbox ever again. It wouldn't cause a ripple of betrayal. But being told that Mortal Kombat would never again be on any other platform than PlayStation would be shitty to me. I mean, it's business and eventually it would just feel normal, but I'd rather it go to someone like EA who will make sure it goes everywhere. Sony's obvious ambitions for the anime market and the fighting game scene just make ASW a fantastic fit for them that wouldn't break the bank or hearts.

Kholinar

Banned
Mortal Kombat and Smash are juggernauts.

Then it's followed by Tekken then Street Fighter.

After that majority of fighters don't make that much money, and most of those fighters come to PlayStation anywyas or even exclusive like King of Fighters and Guilty Gear. As for Dragon Ball Z, Sony buying Arc would not give them Dragon Ball Z license. Arc games are also complicated and niche. In conclusion unless its a very cheap price it would be basically a waste of money.
It's almost as if it's brand power that sells fighting games. Do you really think Sony would buy ArcSys just to make original, niche fighters? It's almost as if the optimal strategy is to attach famous franchises to a fighting game - as successfully displayed by FighterZ - and by then, it's almost impossible to fail. Think, dude. Also, with Strive, Guilty Gear is gaining traction as a franchise.
Arc games are also complicated and niche.
Not all of them. P4A, BBTAG, FighterZ, Granblue, and Strive are all games that are easy to get into. Heck, I'd even say most of them would be fairly easy to get into if they came equipped with better tutorials.

Kholinar

Banned
Yes fighting game on PC, they’re usually better than on consoles. Unless Sony change their stance on late PC ports I can’t see this aqcuisition as a good thing. Sony is always the worst case scenario for devs that make games on other platforms. Well, no, Nintendo is worse 😕
What fighting game is more popular on PC than on PS4? Almost every local and tournament is ran exclusively on PS4.

Top Bottom