• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is apparently in talks to buy Arc System Works

For some reason they've been very obsessed with the fighting game scene.
There is a reason though. I wonder if their bet will pay off though.

A decent go at a Playstation All Stars, anime version?
No, but with Sony's pivot towards anime they might consider it is necessary to have their own "anime fighting studio". I mean, there are lot of anime fighting games these and it might be worth to have your own factory so to say

You don't aquire studios just to take away games from another platform...
Yeah, you usually use moneyhats for that - much cheaper :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Have you never played a Japanese game or watched an anime before?

Of course I have, tons of them. Dialogue is usually pretty bad, but even in that context, this is BAD.

There is a reason though. I wonder if their bet will pay off though.

No, but with Sony's pivot towards anime they might consider it is necessary to have their own "anime fighting studio". I mean, there are lot of anime fighting games these and it might be worth to have your own factory so to say

I mean, sure, you own the factory, but what will you pump out of it? Partnerships with anime companies for One Piece/Dragon Ball/My Hero Academia games? I'm not sure that's Sony's usual strategy, they prefer to own the IP.

I mean, sure, you own the factory, but what will you pump out of it? Partnerships with anime companies for One Piece/Dragon Ball/My Hero Academia games? I'm not sure that's Sony's usual strategy, they prefer to own the IP.
Sony now owns a lot of anime studios no? Also they made a partnership with Kadokawa and co. Wasn't Sony also involved in Demon Slayer anime? I have no doubts that they would like to make their own exclusive game too.

You don't aquire studios just to take away games from another platform...
That's right. I mean, Microsoft can't shut up about how they want Bethesda's games to get into the hands of "more people than ever before, so that's obviously something they'd never do.

Sure, they're also blocking their games from releasing on consoles with much larger install bases than their own, but I'm sure there are other reasons for that. Really good reasons, too. I mean, they just want people to play games! Gotta give 'em the benefit of the doubt here.

Of course I have, tons of them. Dialogue is usually pretty bad, but even in that context, this is BAD.
Is it really? I think it's pretty mild in comparison to some of the gibberish I've had to sit through in games like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 13 or Kingdom Hearts. And unlike Guilty Gear, these are all single player titles where the story is something most players are actually expected to engage with.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Why are they calling him the GoT leaker? Wasn't it rumored before he said anything on Twitter?

DeepSpace5D

Two thing make sense.

Sony buying EVO
Sony buying all editors of Japanimation (Funimation, Crunchroll)

But hard to believe this acquisition, arc sys don't hint sales at 10M.
I don’t think they have to sell 10M to be good enough. There’s alot of Sony studios that don’t hit that mark with their games. But if it’s the right anime franchise, it has the potential to sell well. Dragon Ball FighterZ sold over 6 million I believe, partly because of the anime’s popularity, but it was also an excellent game from Arc System.

mejin

Sony is silent for some time. They need to get more studios.

Arc Systems can make fighting games from any anime/manga series and has solid ips. They are also very prolific and with Sony WWS support they would be even better.

Most of their games are already PlayStation only. They could be the answer for a good PlayStation All Stars and Sony has Evo now.

Anyway, I still think Housemarque and Bluepoint should already be locked by now, but nothing happened lol

[Sigma]

First off, I don't believe this because of who the leaker is. So get that out the way first. However, it would make
"some" sense in regards to Sony's overall anime goals if that's the intent. In this case, this doesn't necessarily have to fall under the Playstation division.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeaaaaahhhhh, riiiiiight.

You guys are so cute !
Ok, your counter argument then.

On one side: Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Evolution Studios (RIP), … potential acquisition targets: HouseMarque, Bluepoint Studios, etc… Money invested favouring internal growth and R&D over big multiplatform publisher acquisitions (so far at least).

On the other?
plains tumble weed GIF

Seriously though… on the other side?

Derift

Yeaaaaahhhhh, riiiiiight.

You guys are so cute !
... you usually buy studios the leverage the talent that comes with them... maybe I should have said "Sony" don't.... the studios Sony buy for the most part mainly partnered with Sony for majority Sony exclusives in the past.... how many muktiplqt games did naughty dog or insomniac have prior to the acquisitions.... not many

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
While i don't trust this dealerfakegamer, The rumor does fit with the anime vision Sony has, including their streaming services and Evo Tournaments.

51209339936_2bcf9a28c8_h.jpg

Last edited:
I've just remembered that Arc System Works also own Technos Japan. I can't imagine that the Kunio-kun series means a great deal to most people but I do realy love those games. If this does end up being true then it would be fantastic to see that franchise getting more support, although there has been a slight resurgence already over the past couple of years.

Banned
Microsoft were rumoured to have purchased netherealm, so could see this happening. Especially as Sony now own Evo and it would be hilarious if the two biggest games there were owned by Nintendo and Microsoft.

MK isn't one of the two biggest games at EVO. Netherrealm's games are only there because Warner Bros was a big sponsor each year... most people don't even take MK or Injustice seriously as a fighting game, and rightfully so.

Last edited:

skit_data

They would rather throw their money at timed exclusives 😑

I think buying a studio would be a better use of money.
I think it depends if you have the infrastructure in place to actually make the studios produce good quality content on a regular basis. Otherwise it will just be throwing tons of money into a black hole.

McCheese

MK isn't one of the two biggest games at EVO. Netherrealm's games are only there because Warner Bros was a big sponsor each year... most people don't even take MK or Injustice seriously as a fighting game, and rightfully so.

PlayStation YouTube posts Mortal Kombat tournament videos all the time, I had to unsubscribe as every notification was a new MK video!

They are in pretty hard with MK.

streamed less than a day ago!

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PlayStation YouTube posts Mortal Kombat tournament videos all the time, I had to unsubscribe as every notification was a new MK video!

*Evo acquisition
*MK11 Evo youtube spam
*Upcoming Sony event
Sony Netherrealm acquisition this upcoming July event confirmed.

Last edited:

Banned

lol wtf? xD

during EVO tho whenever a netherrealm game is on stream during the finals the viewrship will go down and half of the chat is filled with hate viewers making jokes about the games or simply trolling.

which is why I said that their games are not among the biggest at EVO. the big games at evo are StreetFighter and Smash Bros. those are the 2 biggest by a large margin

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Remember that when these insiders say “buy”, what it really means is that they are hiring them.

They have so far gotten 0 acquisition rumors right, all of them.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
Umm, I don’t think that fighting games are that popular. If this is true, I see Sony closing the studio in the near future.
They are, though? Tekken and Street Fighter are lucrative IPs that sell millions with every installment, and even newcomers like FighterZ have sold upward of 6 million closing on 7.

KAL2006

Banned
They would rather throw their money at timed exclusives 😑

I think buying a studio would be a better use of money.

Depends.

The cost of maintaining a studio is not cheap. As well if a game doesn't sell well that's a huge negative for Sony.

Time exclusives are usually cheaper.

So your idea of better use of money doesn't always mean it's correct. For certain studio for a good price yes it makes sense. It's all about cost of running cost, price of purchase and how much does there stuff sell. Unfortunately forum dwellers here like to throw names and they should buy them. It's the reason why fans don't run businesses.

KAL2006

Banned
They are, though? Tekken and Street Fighter are lucrative IPs that sell millions with every installment, and even newcomers like FighterZ have sold upward of 6 million closing on 7.

Mortal Kombat and Smash are juggernauts.

Then it's followed by Tekken then Street Fighter.

After that majority of fighters don't make that much money, and most of those fighters come to PlayStation anywyas or even exclusive like King of Fighters and Guilty Gear. As for Dragon Ball Z, Sony buying Arc would not give them Dragon Ball Z license. Arc games are also complicated and niche. In conclusion unless its a very cheap price it would be basically a waste of money.

yurinka

Seems another fake rumor. This guy just saw that the last Guilty Gear was released and since it's exclusive like many of their previous games then it means Sony may buy them.

The thing is Guilty Gear, or the other games made by the studio, don't sell a shit compared to many other Sony exclusives. The exception was their Dragon Ball game, which sold due to the popularity of the IP. The game was great, but all the shitty Dragon Ball games also sell well.

I highly doubt Guilty Gear will need to sell. They recently had a huge success with Dragon Ball, their recent Guilty Gear game is awesome so I assume it will perform ok and will be the best selling Guilty Gear game because of DB fans migrating to this game. And for the future they have projects like the Dungeon Fighter (huge IP, one of the top grossing PC game worldwide during several years, many months top 1) game.

But if they buy them it would be a great purchase, these are some of the most talented fighting game devs in the world and would fit Sony's tradition of purchasing studios with a long story of Sony exclusives, and now that Sony bought EVO they'll want to secure some exclusive fighting games and IPs.

Sony All-stars 2d Anime fighting game...
Well, made by ARC would be so fucking amazing. These guys are super talented and make awesome adaptations to 2D fighting games of many IPs.

I do not think they buy developers to remove them from the competition. I think Sony is more likely to buy developers they worked a long time with and that have a good team / values / work ethic fit with the existing WWS stable.

I do not think you will see many studio purchases of multiplatform studios to ensure the competition gets less games or for the heck of it/IP’s.
Well, ARC released a ton of PS exclusive games since PS1 and other than Dragon Ball FighterZ their games don't sell a lot. To buy them wouldn't change things too much.

Last edited:

Genx3

LOL
Why are people so salty about Dealer leaking information?

His leaks are hit or miss but he definitely knows someone.

Top Bottom