• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony invests $250 million in Epic Games

Epic is worth over 17billion. This is nothing really comparable to SE back then.

This is just Sony spending money for security and more free marketing/association, which is odd because Xbox exclusives use UE5 way more than Sony does.

Well, Unreal Engine is using royalties system so whatever money Microsoft will make on selling those exclusives, 5% of it goes to Epic. From now on, part of it (very small part though) will go to Sony...

Ascend

This investment has (almost) nothing to do with the praise from Epic on the PS5. Those accolades are because Sony has spent the last couple years working WITH Epic on the PS5 and what will become UE5. UE5 (and likely the PS5) would be very different if not for that collaboration. It’s no more complicated than that.

This money here looks more like Sony wanting to bring PS Studio games to a second platform (PC) and this is the way that gives the SOME control. Plus Sony is really focusing on Chinese market and this investment ties them to Tencent. Pair that with acquisition Sony is trying to make in China.... it’s all pretty obvious. Stop reading tea leaves.... the answers are in plain text.
tenor.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
(More) pop-up, less details?
We haven't seen any 1-to-1 comparisons yet.
But loading also goes for something like turning around in a game. The hardware needs to have the data ready right?
The more data you can access, the data you can load in.
These things have been discussed a lot the past few months. And I may not be that knowledgeable about game design and hardware, getting the general idea isn't rocket-science.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
But like I said, people are free to correct me on anything. Still haven't seen anyone do that, just some shitposting without addressing much.
Sony released several behind the scenes videos of devs talking about taking advantage of PS5 hardware along with the PS blog posts, and not once did they mention anything other than SSD being used for loading, with ratchet being the sole exception.

If Sony themselves wont tout these features then why are we assuming that they will have it?

Entroyp

This investment has (almost) nothing to do with the praise from Epic on the PS5. Those accolades are because Sony has spent the last couple years working WITH Epic on the PS5 and what will become UE5. UE5 (and likely the PS5) would be very different if not for that collaboration. It’s no more complicated than that.

This money here looks more like Sony wanting to bring PS Studio games to a second platform (PC) and this is the way that gives the SOME control. Plus Sony is really focusing on Chinese market and this investment ties them to Tencent. Pair that with acquisition Sony is trying to make in China.... it’s all pretty obvious. Stop reading tea leaves.... the answers are in plain text.

Yea, this sounds about right. Although it’s more fun to see people going “told you so” and trying to discredit any positive feedback from Epic 😂

Psykodad

Banned
Sony released several behind the scenes videos of devs talking about taking advantage of PS5 hardware along with the PS blog posts, and not once did they mention anything other than SSD being used for loading, with ratchet being the sole exception.

If Sony themselves wont tout these features then why are we assuming that they will have it?
Pop-up/pop-in is loading issue, isn't it?

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Pop-up/pop-in is loading issue, isn't it?
nope. streaming which is tied to vram. i was under the impression that ssd would help with streaming assets faster but thats clearly not the case or sony wouldve advertised it.

xiseerht

At the end of the day. The better Epic does , the more profit Sony gets from them. To say that Epic will be completely unbiased towards Sony is just crazy talk. They will have a natural bias towards Sony . Now it does not mean Epic will screw over Xbox. But PS5 might get some betas first , demos first , etc. And I don't see why Sony would put their games on Steam now.

GHG

No, you don't understand, this was a move for the console wars and nothing else.

Psykodad

Banned
nope. streaming which is tied to vram. i was under the impression that ssd would help with streaming assets faster but thats clearly not the case or sony wouldve advertised it.
That's what it's also designed to do, if I'm not mistaken. Going by Road to PS5.

Besides, I understand that it's a rendering issue, but you need data to render. No data, no rendering.

Uh oh, Psykodad must have called in reinforcements to defend Sony's & Sweeny's totally unbiased PS5 shilling
I'm fine on my own.

All that's needed is a single quote from a dev about, or example of, a third party game where PS5 shows an advantage over XSX due to it's SSD over the course of next-gen.
I'll just wait patiently.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I bet we will see a bunch of Sony games come to the epic store in the future.

Thats a negative since jim ryan already making emphasis of the importance of first party game on playstation platform

you can however expect some kind of playstation in game content like skin from epic in their game( godfall, fortnite etc)

Banned
Thats a negative since jim ryan already making emphasis of the importance of first party game on playstation platform

you can however expect some kind of playstation in game content like skin from epic in their game( godfall, fortnite etc)

stop listening to PR crap... this is absolutely also tied to some epic store stuff

SlimySnake

Well that PS5 game cover reveal did not include: Only on Playstation, which on the PS4 covers it did.

yep. i called it as soon as i heard Horizon Zero dawn coming to PC, and i was told it was spreading FUD.

Sony will be launching all their exclusives on PC in a couple of years max.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Well that PS5 game cover reveal did not include: Only on Playstation, which on the PS4 covers it did.

It was replaced with this symbols

730x480-img-17533-playstation-studios.jpg

nope. streaming which is tied to vram.

when you stream content you are loading game assets

i was under the impression that ssd would help with streaming assets faster but thats clearly not the case or sony wouldve advertised it.

:pie_eyeroll:

so if sony dont tell you that a faster drive stream data faster than another slower drive then is not true?

it remind me a user in this forum that said that data originally stored in a slower medium will keep being reading slow despite having that same data in a faster medium, it was something about the blu-ray, was a funny discussion at first

did your parents told you that you cannot fly like superman or you found out the hard way?

Last edited:
Real talk Phil been investing in Epic by using Unreal Engine 4 for almost every exclusive game there is (unlike Sony) yet Sweeny treats the competition like Gold in a console war year. Either Phill is a cuck, and some Xbox fans idolize a cuck or Phill only cares about PC (reason why he brought Xbox exclusives over) and its only Xbox gamers who are on the hook. A lot of stuff just doesn't make sense to me here. What's going on?

I'm old to remember EA allied with Xbox at the beginning of this console gen to push a power move touting strategic partnerships.... then came back begging and all apologetic with free EA games at PSX to please Sony's base and fans. Only when Sony deemed the punishment was enough, only then they allowed EA Access on PS. That's how you handle this.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I'm kind of more confused now about what exactly a 1.5% stake is expected to do.

It's for "working closely"...Which they doing before? It's not like this amount of stake is enough to shaft any other large platform. I guess we just won't know, but it might be more funding towards tailoring the engine for Sony more. And that doesn't have to just mean Playstation, with Unreal increasingly being used for movies and TV.

tryDEATH

InconsequentialLikableKarakul-size_restricted.gif

notice how he didn't say there was no marketing deal. He said there was no secret deal. And indeed it's not a secret. It's quite obviously a marketing collaboration between the two. Do we need an official statement of all the games shown for Inside Xbox to know that it was a marketing collaboration? No. So why is it needed for the UE5 demo?

When they talk about the PS5 really enabling them to do X, they are saying it that way because they have a partnership and marketing deal with Sony. It does NOT mean that ONLY the PS5 can do that.

And if you can't see the obvious partnership between Epic and Sony here, I don't know what to tell you. Epic is trying to make their own engine look as awesome as possible so that it gets wide adoption. Sony is trying to make the PS5 look as powerful as possible, so they sell more consoles and games.

It's about money, obviously... And why do you think PS exclusives are starting to pop up on the Epic Game Store?
Whether Epic pushed Sony to deliver this I/O is possible, but is still speculation. The fact is that they are partnered up, and both are working together to make money. Obviously, they are going to talk each other up.

And I bet those were among the posts that got me thread-banned from there... But wait. There is more!

Even though saying this in here can possibly get me killed, it was a marketing partnership between Sony and Epic.

Yeah because it makes total sense for the developer of a multiplatform engine to advertise and keep mentioning one specific console every chance he gets, even when it's not relevant to what he is explaining.

And the best one... Where I posted an article by Forbes, saying there most likely was a marketing deal, only to get slammed, ridiculed, accused of 'copying opinions' and a bunch of other nonsense;

Right now I feel like Shepard talking to the Council. Let me just throw this here.;

The simplest explanation is probably the right one here, that Epic has some sort of marketing deal in place with Sony and PlayStation, either for this presentation specifically (which was in effect an ad for the potential and power of the PS5) or perhaps more broadly with more collaborations to come down the line.
As a part of marketing campaigns, you often get notes as a stipulation of the arrangement where you’re not supposed to mention or promote the competition of the entity you’ve done the deal with. In this case, I could easily see the Epic team being told before this “please don’t mention Xbox,” hence all the back-breaking linguistic twists and turns they did to avoid mentioning it at all.

The truth is always revealed... All it takes is time...

Please stop it, too many receipts.

Andodalf

Banned
InconsequentialLikableKarakul-size_restricted.gif

notice how he didn't say there was no marketing deal. He said there was no secret deal. And indeed it's not a secret. It's quite obviously a marketing collaboration between the two. Do we need an official statement of all the games shown for Inside Xbox to know that it was a marketing collaboration? No. So why is it needed for the UE5 demo?

When they talk about the PS5 really enabling them to do X, they are saying it that way because they have a partnership and marketing deal with Sony. It does NOT mean that ONLY the PS5 can do that.

And if you can't see the obvious partnership between Epic and Sony here, I don't know what to tell you. Epic is trying to make their own engine look as awesome as possible so that it gets wide adoption. Sony is trying to make the PS5 look as powerful as possible, so they sell more consoles and games.

It's about money, obviously... And why do you think PS exclusives are starting to pop up on the Epic Game Store?
Whether Epic pushed Sony to deliver this I/O is possible, but is still speculation. The fact is that they are partnered up, and both are working together to make money. Obviously, they are going to talk each other up.

And I bet those were among the posts that got me thread-banned from there... But wait. There is more!

Even though saying this in here can possibly get me killed, it was a marketing partnership between Sony and Epic.

Yeah because it makes total sense for the developer of a multiplatform engine to advertise and keep mentioning one specific console every chance he gets, even when it's not relevant to what he is explaining.

And the best one... Where I posted an article by Forbes, saying there most likely was a marketing deal, only to get slammed, ridiculed, accused of 'copying opinions' and a bunch of other nonsense;

Right now I feel like Shepard talking to the Council. Let me just throw this here.;

The simplest explanation is probably the right one here, that Epic has some sort of marketing deal in place with Sony and PlayStation, either for this presentation specifically (which was in effect an ad for the potential and power of the PS5) or perhaps more broadly with more collaborations to come down the line.
As a part of marketing campaigns, you often get notes as a stipulation of the arrangement where you’re not supposed to mention or promote the competition of the entity you’ve done the deal with. In this case, I could easily see the Epic team being told before this “please don’t mention Xbox,” hence all the back-breaking linguistic twists and turns they did to avoid mentioning it at all.

The truth is always revealed... All it takes is time...

#Ascendwasright

pasterpl

and why are you so sure of this?

It was replaced with this symbols

730x480-img-17533-playstation-studios.jpg

this looks more like publisher logo

Last edited:

sainraja

So, Epic's comments about PS5 can be tossed right in the trash? Good to know!

Well, depends, if EPIC influenced what Sony did with the PS5. Their comments would still apply as they also invested time into the PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom