• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony invests $250 million in Epic Games

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
LMAO. Saw this coming a mile away. Explains perfectly why Epics Tim Sweeney "loves" the PS5. Those quotes sounded like PR propaganda. And now it's been proven that it was.

Well they love PlayStation since PS3 era. It's not something new between Epic and Sony.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I’m going to keep my gob shut. But you know what I’m thinking. It’s the same as you. Why so I need to defrost things in the microwave before I can cook them.

But also...

I do hope this means UE5 isn’t feature gimped for Xbox support. Would be utterly stupid, due to pc also using DX, but still, anything is possible once money changes hands.

250mil sounds a tad low though to me, how much are epic worth? Surely they make more bank than that on a weekend playing crazy golf?

250 to just say some nice things and show a demo on the Ps5 that you were already working on anyway? Shit thats technically free money lol.

NonPhixion

They now have a minority stake in a company that so many game studios use, including 90% of MS Studios. Maybe this leads to a lot of PC/PS4 titles being developed by some of these studios and also some of PlayStation's studios? If not, it's a pretty risk free investment if just for it's return hahah

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
what a future of gaming, my old-fart gaming friends

Fortnite, Minecraft, Animal Crossing, even COD BR...

it's the era is Massively Online Kiddo Sandboxes...

Most triple A studious only make "what sells" instead of truly innovating and pushing the boundaries of what's possible in gaming.

Not all studios. But most.

Lootboxes and microtransactions make money... they are disgusting... but people have decided that these things are okay instead of outright refusing them.
The gaming industry has been on a downward spiral for years as far as quality and innovation goes... but it's rapidly regressed within the past few years.

MaulerX

We going to get Sony games exclusively on Epic Games Store?

I said this back in may:

Yep. Pure marketing. One hand washes the other type of deal.

Sweeney debuts it's new engine on PS5. Makes PS5 look good (even though said engine will also work on all platforms).

And since Sweeney is a shrewd business man, and doesn't do anything unless he's getting something in return, he'll get Sony to put some of their games in the Epic store. We all know Sony will inevitably put their games on PC so this seems like a real plausible scenario.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
tenor.gif

Im impressed... 50 posts and still nothing but a driveby post lol.

Sweeneys comments just got shot down.

Because its both bitter and sweet on one hand everything anyone has said coming from epic regarding the ps5 can be looked at with skepticism but on the other hand Sony have just brought into one of the best gaming company's today that owns one of the best game engines around and also owns Fortnite one of the most played games today so ps5 owners can most likely expect goodies from both and plus more ...
That's what I'm feeling about it anyhow.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Thinking more on this. I assume that we will see more Unreal adoption among PS Studios. I would suspect that is to enable devs like Naughty Dog and Guerilla to spend less time on engine work. Seems like we might see PS games on EGS vs Steam going forward as well.

Entroyp

They basically designed the PS5 so Sony has to pay back somehow.

I wonder if Sony studios will adopt UE5🤔

Last edited:

ksdixon

How is this relevant towards PS customers? Genuine question, I don't understand the significance. Is this to do with the UE5 engine, or in-game deals like HZD outfits for Fortnight etc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That $250M kept any mention of another console out of the description of their multiplatform middleware.
Gives you an idea at the money at stake when any hardware maker has exclusivity details on game info.

For example, Sony does deals with SE and Activisioon to ensure they don't say anything about an Xbox version of FF or Diablo 3 for 2 years, and MS doing timed content details during 360 for Call of Duty.

Hard to compare as Epic has a store and middleware, but it shows MILLIONS of dollars is no problem for any platform company to toss around for marketing and PR details.

INC

Oooft

Guess that means all 3rd party unreal games will perform better on ps5 after all

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Japan partnering with China isn't as wild as you guys think. They have done so since phone games came out.

Cloaka

Neo Member
$250m to put Playstation Studios games day one on Epic Games Store on PC.
And 1.5% of Epic.
Great investment imo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How is this relevant towards PS customers? Genuine question, I don't understand the significance. Is this to do with the UE5 engine, or in-game deals like HZD outfits for Fortnight etc.
The theory is for casual gamers to see videos like this and think only that platform can do it or get that game, so stick with PS.

Experienced gamers know the typical EA or Activision game will come for MS and Sony platforms, so who cares about it saying only Xbox or PS.

But some gamers who don't keep up with all the news and release dates might think something like UE5 and Epic stuff is only for PS5.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
They basically designed the PS5 so Sony has to pay back somehow.

I wonder if Sony studios will adopt UE5🤔
Pretty much.

Epic is designing UE5 around PS5-hardware. It's fundamental to the engine's development, so this deal doesn't come as a surprise.

SCB3

I wonder if this is for PS games going to EGS or not

In fact thinking about it, it could be going to UE5 development directly, they've done that in the past with other companies

Psykodad

Banned
And even better. All the demo had to be was show one character and run at 1440p/30. Epic's programmers probably did that entire demo in 48 hours.
Don't forget to add that the rendering of that demo was taxing the PS5 GPU as much as Fortnite does.

Edit:

Last edited:
The mention of a more open and accessible digital ecosystem is also a surprise, as Sweeney has long been a proponent of open systems, while Sony has been an example of a company that protects its proprietary technology. Sony has, however, enabled Fortnite to function as a crossplay game that also lets friends play each other across other platforms.
I just want to point out that Fortnite is arguably the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to crossplay involving PS4.

Yeah I now think everything said by the people at epic about the PS5 has been a crock of shit.

Buying it day one and supporting no doubt. But its real easy to heap all this praise when a quarter of a billion dollars is in your back pocket.

SCB3

I wonder if this will see Sony internal studios developing most of their games on UE5. It should also mean that the feature set of the engine should support all PS5 features very well. This is good news for PS5 game development.

Possibly, but Sony were talking about all their studios using the same engine and using bits from each studio at one point

Keihart

I wonder if this will see Sony internal studios developing most of their games on UE5. It should also mean that the feature set of the engine should support all PS5 features very well. This is good news for PS5 game development.
I don't see ND leaving their own engine or Guerrilla and KJP leaving Decima, they probably have most of their workflows adjusted specifically for the engine.

Its honestly hard to tell what sony get out of this tbh.

Epic wont make UE5 amazing for sony and suck for everyone else, its not good for business.

Epic wont make fortnite exclusive to sony.

If Epic ever makes another game, it may be sony exclusive.

But honestly, i dont see what advantage it gives them unless they get a share of the Epic profits. But for 250million, it doesnt buy much.

FranXico

I’m going to keep my gob shut. But you know what I’m thinking. It’s the same as you. Why do I need to defrost things in the microwave before I can cook them.

But also...

I do hope this means UE5 isn’t feature gimped for Xbox support. Would be utterly stupid, due to pc also using DX, but still, anything is possible once money changes hands.

250mil sounds a tad low though to me, how much are epic worth? Surely they make more bank than that on a weekend playing crazy golf?
Epic is worth billions, of course. It's not a takeover. They are not going to gimp features on any platforms.

Like others pointed out, this isn't only about the PS5.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Epic is worth billions, of course. It's not a takeover. They are not going to gimp features on any platforms.

Like others pointed out, this isn't only about the PS5.

While it’s like, what, a percent of the company worth, money does open doors man, you know that.

I mean it was obvious Sweeny was brown nosing for a reason, saying shit that didn’t quite seem right. The UE5 demo for one only needed a 500mbs drive to work, something far far slower than the Xbox one even, and yet... (that sort of visual fidelity doesn’t even work with deformable skeletons either, so no player models But anyway, this explains a fair few odd things.

Though to be fair, Tim’s nose has been up Sonys arse for a very long time. It’s par for the course that every new gen, he comes out to speak highly of them. He HATES Microsoft and makes no secret about it.

Doesn’t change unreal engine being a great engine mind you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom