• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Introduces Game Trials, Try PS5 Games for a Limited Time (Death Stranding Director's Cut, )

Gamerguy84

Yea they were talking about this before PS5 is released. Surely more titles will come.

I just wanted any kind of demo, when I see how something plays that's when I know if it's for me or not.

Was wondering where this feature went. I'll definitely try out DS.

Kagey K

Banned
Awesome news. As I remember they did it in PS3 with 1 hour trials. It would be nice to do it with all games in both PS4 and PS5.

I assume that like in PS3 it will start to count when you start to play and only will count played hours, not when you download it or when you aren't playing it.
You assume wrong. At least read the OP before commenting.

The timer starts as soon as you trigger the download, so make sure you've got some time to spare otherwise you'll have wasted the opportunity. Accounts are limited to one Game Trial of each game.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

LOL playtime timer that starts with the download. GTFO
W8YftVj.gif

mxbison

I think that's great, not sure why people are trashing it. What do you expect? Play the whole game and then decide if it was worth paying for?

Starting the timer when downloading is obviously dumb though, they need to change that.

Futurematic

I downloaded this after seeing it on the store a couple days ago, hadn’t a chance to play it yet

Well that’s a waste of 70GB lol

Handel

Always will be in favor of demos, but this is badly executed on every level : low number of games, download time counting for play time, only on PS5.

My message to Jimbo:

god-of-war-kratos.gif

in the defence the ps5 downloads are much faster than the slow as shit ps4 store

I urge any of you who have never played sackboy to try it out....its a guilty pleasure

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The fine print within the email explains that in order to activate a Game Trial, you'll need to head on over to the PS Store and select the Trial option that's labelled as free. Death Stranding Director's Cut will offer six hours of playtime while Sackboy: A Big Adventure has a five-hour Trial. The timer starts as soon as you trigger the download, so make sure you've got some time to spare otherwise you'll have wasted the opportunity.
So lets say you got a shitty connection or your ISP is flakey that night so the download takes 2 hours.

The 2 hours counts towards the 6 hour trial?

lol

Do you have to play the game right away? Or can the download be done (let's say it takes 30 minutes), but later on the weekend you'll play it for 5.5 hours? Or is it one continuous timer so you got to watch it finish downloading and then hurry up and play asap?

Last edited:

Elios83

Seems like a cool idea although it seems fair that the timer should start the moment you actually run the game for the first time but it's not a huge issue given that they still let you try a full game for many hours for free.
You can play most games after just a 10-15GB download, I'm lucky that I have a 1Gb/s connection so I'm usually done quickly with most downloads.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
So where do I find this? I'm in the store and can't see it. Clicked on Suckboy and can't see it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think that's great, not sure why people are trashing it. What do you expect? Play the whole game and then decide if it was worth paying for?

Starting the timer when downloading is obviously dumb though, they need to change that.
You say you’re not sure why people are trashing it, and then in your next paragraph you point out exactly why people are trashing it lol

EDMIX

LOL playtime timer that starts with the download. GTFO

FOR WHY?

So what they are saying is, fuck those that have slow internet?

I need the "concern" trolls to come out and bash this to oblivion so we can get a reversal.

Do what ya'll do best and complain lol

I don't see me using this, but I'd want to see them change this for those that do want to use it, I see no reason to even have such a function like a timer that starts WITH the download. Come the fuck on.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Good idea. Shitty execution. First, the demos shouldn't only be available for October. Second, a time limit that starts when you click "download"? WTF? They should just let you go through the first chapter in Death Stranding and two stages or whatever in Sackboy and then it just ends. This way, you can replay the demo if you want to or purchase the game with the progress intact.

Gamerguy84

I read the article but surely the timer starts when the download ends. If it doesn't they'll fix it.

They should start it the first time you load it up.

Venza

Banned
Minus the timer staring during the download this is a nice additon especially for games like Death Stranding where its not everyones cup of tea.

Hahaha Try demoing a jrpg under 5 hours ... after downloading and getting past the hours of introduction exposition? Players trying to test out the battle system be like ...

Fail GIF
that dude is crazy lol, what did he think would happen if he went out there with the train moving.

I read the article but surely the timer starts when the download ends. If it doesn't they'll fix it.

They should start it the first time you load it up.
My guess is they can’t change it, or they wouldn’t have launched it like this.

I’d imagine they are using their license system, so the store clocks when you start the download (ie fake buy it) then deactivates your license six hours later? Can’t imagine any other reason to do it this insane way :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Why haven't they made it like EA access trial with lower playtime? That would've been much better and easier than this.

My guess is they can’t change it, or they wouldn’t have launched it like this.

I’d imagine they are using their license system, so the store clocks when you start the download (ie fake buy it) then deactivates your license six hours later? Can’t imagine any other reason to do it this insane way :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Of course they can change it. They just didnt make an effort

Your post is strange. The timer starting when you download is THE thing that people are complaining about. No one is saying the rest of the idea is bad.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sony invents demos!

Joking aside this is actually very welcome, i will give both these games a try.

Duchess

I'm not sure why they would track the trial based on when you start the download.

The PS5 can track how long you've been playing the game, so why not use that?

They could just shorten the length of time to 1-2 hours, instead.

Kenpachii

Death stranding, day download, 12 cutscenes to get to gameplay.

Thanks for trying the trail, feel free to buy it.

zombrex

The only logical reason I can see them implementing the timer from the point of download is that they can't track when you start the game itself which is just pathetic in 2021. Even Nintendo did better with the 30 plays demo system.

Nezzeroth

So if you have shitty internet or just want to download it and go do something else instead of waiting there while it downloads, you can't play at all? Who thought this was a good idea?

LimanimaPT

Obviously the timer doesn't start when you click download. Probably starts when the download finishes.
Edit: or starts when you enter the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom