• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment head says PlayStation isn’t done with acquisitions yet

yurinka

So, recent acquisition gave Sony:
-Evo: FGC/eSports strategical positioning for marketing and partnerships
-Housemarque: Arcadey AAA big & small VR friendly games
-Nixxes: PC ports
-Firesprite + Fabrik: AAA & VR games with Liverpool Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations (+more) pedigree
-Bluepoint: AAA remakes and new games with Retro Studios, Blizzard (+way more) pedigree

What I think coud be potential next acquisitions of people with a long story of PS exclusives:
-Kadokawa: includes several Japanese publishers and developers, being From Soft one of them. They also have tons of manga, anime and movie IPs and production studios
-ARC System works: fighting games, anime games, working in one of the top grossing PC game ips in the last decade that is specially big in Asia, have multiple teams even if being small
-Quantic Dream: streaming friendly AAA interactive drama
-Kojipro: critically acclaimed bizarre and unique AAA stuff, Kojima is there
-Supermassive: streaming friendly interactive drama AAA horror games
-(As exception this one wouldn't need to have previous relationship with Sony) Some random huge Asian F2P focused mobile and/or PC dev specially big in Asia open to milk Sony IPs there and grow in PC F2P and specially mobile and Asia
-Haven, Firewalk and Deviation: if their first or second AAA MP GaaS 2nd party game gets critically acclaimed and/or performs well in terms of sales/revenue they'd provide pedigree from top AAA IPs (Destiny, CoD BO, AC, etc) and would add to Sony's list AAA MP/GaaS specialized top teams

They are growing their existing studios and acquiring some. Another way of growing is opening new studios.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
So, recent acquisition gave Sony:
-Evo: FGC/eSports strategical positioning for marketing and partnerships
-Housemarque: Arcadey AAA big & small VR friendly games
-Nixxes: PC ports
-Firesprite + Fabrik: AAA & VR games with Liverpool Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations (+more) pedigree
-Bluepoint: AAA remakes and new games with Retro Studios, Blizzard (+way more) pedigree

What I think coud be potential next acquisitions of people with a long story of PS exclusives:
-Kadokawa: includes several Japanese publishers and developers, being From Soft one of them. They also have tons of manga, anime and movie IPs and production studios
-ARC System works: fighting games, anime games, working in one of the top grossing PC game ips in the last decade that is specially big in Asia, have multiple teams even if being small
-Quantic Dream: streaming friendly AAA interactive drama
-Kojipro: critically acclaimed bizarre and unique AAA stuff, Kojima is there
-Supermassive: streaming friendly interactive drama AAA horror games
-(As exception this one wouldn't need to have previous relationship with Sony) Some random huge Asian F2P focused mobile and/or PC dev specially big in Asia open to milk Sony IPs there and grow in PC F2P and specially mobile and Asia
-Haven, Firewalk and Deviation: if their first or second AAA MP GaaS 2nd party game gets critically acclaimed and/or performs well in terms of sales/revenue they'd provide pedigree from top AAA IPs (Destiny, CoD BO, AC, etc) and would add to Sony's list AAA MP/GaaS specialized top teams

They are growing their existing studios and acquiring some. Another way of growing is opening new studios.
No to Quantic Dream please. Their games really are interactive movies. Pass on KojiPro too, not worth the money it would cost imo.

Haven, Firewalk and Deviation are worth keeping an eye out on depending on how their Sony collabs work out.

Also Ember Lab Games must be a possibility?

yurinka

Also Ember Lab Games must be a possibility?
I'd give them a 2nd party game first as a test.

They did an awesome job with their first game (spacially in the visuals part) and I think they have potential to be acquired, but has some things to polish (specially in game design and programming with things like difficulty curve and collision detection) and improve before becoming a Sony-level studio.

But hey, if they buy them tomorrow I'd totally understand it.

Last edited:

Venza

Banned
Sony needs to reboot Killzone or SOCOM for that big tentpole FPS exclusive. Bring back Zipper or have a new studio work on either franchise.

FrankWza

Gold Member
I know this is almost impossible, but i hope Sony would go big on the next acquisition.
They also have so many dormant IPs that they can have the equivalent of a decent to giant sized publisher purchase if they bring in the right studios or use their own current studios to bring back some of these games….maybe something is coming soon.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
They also have so many dormant IPs that they can have the equivalent of a decent to giant sized publisher purchase if they bring in the right studios or use their own current studios to bring back some of these games….maybe something is coming soon.
true, a lot of potential IP without the right developer.

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony needs to reboot Killzone or SOCOM for that big tentpole FPS exclusive. Bring back Zipper or have a new studio work on either franchise.
Can't see that. They already have Firewalk and Deviation making FPS games, and there are rumours that Guerilla are developing an FPS.

Also Arrowhead are working on a third-person shooter apparently.

FrankWza

Gold Member
and there are rumours that Guerilla are developing an FPS.
I thought the rumor was a second Guerilla team was working on Socom?
true, a lot of potential IP without the right developer.
It’s still a pretty young industry overall and there’s a lot of talented people joining. It’s not just sales that are growing. Who’s to say Bluepoints next game that isn’t a remake isn’t one of these games? I wouldn’t mind them buying something big but they can also serve themselves well by identifying someone to bring some of these games back and take some chances.

Hezekiah

Banned
I thought the rumor was a second Guerilla team was working on Socom?

It’s still a pretty young industry overall and there’s a lot of talented people joining. It’s not just sales that are growing. Who’s to say Bluepoints next game that isn’t a remake isn’t one of these games? I wouldn’t mind them buying something big but they can also serve themselves well by identifying someone to bring some of these games back and take some chances.
Haven't seen that, if you have the link can you post it!

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
jim ryan is like
imhotep-the-mummy.gif
Jim Ryan is quietly shittin his pants too. He's worried to death what kind of purchase Microsoft is working on next. Buying up a full on publisher really set the tone.

Top Bottom