• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has a patent for a new PlayStation controller

pcostabel

Gold Member
Polygon

On Dec. 26, Sony was approved for a patent on a new type of PlayStation controller. The patent is on the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) database, but it isn’t quite clear what Sony intends to do with the controller.

The back of the controller is where things get a little more interesting. The patent contains potential designs for the new controller — though they aren’t final — that include two new buttons. The new buttons appear to be programmable to perform the functions of other buttons on the controller, so you could have them do the same thing as the circle or square buttons if you wanted.

Sony_contoller.png

If it comes standard, there's no reason why those buttons should only be used to re-map other buttons. Leave that to the new PS4 paddle accessory coming out in January.

Also, 31a and 31b look to be two different parts of each side, which might suggest four additional buttons. If that's true, it looks like your middle finger would hit 31a, and your ring finger would hit 31b. Personally, I'd prefer that anyway. Once you start using paddle controllers, you just want to never have to move your thumbs off the control sticks for any reason.

Last edited:

nowhat

Agreed. PS4 allows that in the accessibility menu, but it's system-wide. Still, it can help a lot.
Agreed, it should definitely be on a per-game basis. I guess some rationale for it being system-wide is that it also affect navigating the OS? But surely adding a separate config for "system" in addition to individual games wouldn't be that difficult. Something like "if no game-specific mapping exists, use the system mapping as a default, game-specific mapping always overrides the system" would be ideal and doesn't sound impossible to implement. Doubtful we'll see this on PS4, but hopefully PS5.

Hmm, coming to think of it though (I haven't remapped the buttons ever) - does changing the button mapping affect button prompts in games? If not, I can see why having multiple configs could be confusing to the user. But this could easily be rectified by a mandate for developers (again, in the next gen, not gonna happen on PS4) - if you release your game on PS5, the button prompts must match the current button mapping.

GHG

We've needed the ability to custom map our buttons on console in every game standard for awhile now. Maybe stuff like this gets us closer to that.

At the mercy of the developers there unfortunately.

The best the manufacturers can do is allow it via accessibility options and then allow profiles on a per-game basis.

Matt_Fox

"Two new buttons. The new buttons appear to be programmable to perform the functions of other buttons on the controller, so you could have them do the same thing as the circle or square buttons if you wanted."

That's really disappointing to hear. The same was true of the Xbox Elite controller - the extra paddles could only be clones of the other buttons, they couldn't actually perform a 'new' function.

Two 'new' buttons would have given the PS5 a chance to really take a step forward in enabling more complex gameplay. The PC gives gamers the opportunity for tons of hot key functions and this opens up advanced gameplay options (particularly for MMORPGS and RTS genres).

Imagine playing Red Dead Redemption 2, and not having to constantly break immersion by going into the menu. Imagine playing the new Elder Scrolls and being able to hotkey a health potion and your favourite fireball spell to these two new buttons.

Why not do that?! It boggles my brain that game pad makers provide new buttons but don't allow them to be mapped to a new function.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'd LOVE an official PS5 pad that has asymmetrical anologue controllers . I do think they are too afraid to change up the design.

No touchpad, it's a crazy battery drain. (Just replace it with 2/4 buttons)

Ar¢tos

Button customization per game is something ps5 really needs to have (at OS level, game profiles). I'm tired of lazy devs not allowing us to map buttons and forcing us to play the way they like playing.

Last edited:

Mega_Deth

I'm really hoping it has rear paddles/buttons. I bought a SCUF controller years ago just for that function for Call of Duty and that cost me alot of money. It was a surprise to see the Xbox Series X controller NOT have rear buttons. This would be a big advantage for Sony to include them.

Zannegan

Rear paddles/buttons is a weirdly important priority for me. It feels so clunky to lift your thumb off the stick to initiate a jump in a highly mobile FPS. I was actually pretty surprised Microsoft didn't include something like this in the XSX, though I guess it's smart to hold back some features for the elite controller line.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
New patents and designs always screams desperate to me, the Dual Shock has been so good for so long why rip the original design?

PSYGN

Rear buttons is a no-brainer evolutionary design for controllers. I've been using this setup since XBOX 360. Got back buttons modded in for my PS4 as well. It makes controlling all games feel more fluid and seamless.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Thank god backpeddals are becoming a standard. It's like the shoulder buttons from the 90s or the mouse wheel, an evolution long overdue.

Top Bottom