• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has 13 first-party studios to date, here’s what they’re making

On Demand

Banned
They pale in comparison to the XBOX Studios since the last acquisition but their line up is still barebone.

They have plenty of studios now but their console launch lineup is the worst that I remember and Halo is a disaster.

So yeah, Sony definitely needs to counterbalance this but they have few years to do it. The competition is still weak if they don't release games.

lol even with the Bethesda purchase Sony doesn’t “pale in comparison.” Sony still has consistent released games.

Until MS starts releasing games regularly from their studios, much less the just bought Bethesda, and we can see how good they are, Sony first party is still in a class by itself.

They are going to have to start making WRPGs to compete with Microsoft. Those gamers are pretty excited about the Series X. If they can't acquire a WRPG studio then they need to make one.

nordique

I’m down for Spider-Man and God of War

I also haven’t finished ghost of Tsushima or ff7r yet because of life

That plus the PlayStation collection games, plus Xbox, plus switch, makes me a happy camper

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's a new gen, where are the new IP's? Honestly from both Microsoft and Sony.

It's like the 3rd party devs are willing to stick their neck out while the people with the most money are relying on the staples still.

So disappointing.

DavJay

Looking at the list the narrative of exclusives completely changed. It’s god of war, horizon and gran turismo vs gears 6, halo infinite, Starfield, the elder scroll 6, doom external, Wolfenstein 3 and Forza.

Buying Bethesda appears to be a game changer.

Reallink

Looking at all the studios and titles laid out, Sony definitely needs to set up or acquire some additional teams. Even if some of these studios have 2 concurrent AAA teams working in parallel on separate projects there's still gonna be some massive gaps in the release schedule. Doubly so with projects ballooning to 3-5 year production cycles.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Yea I agree with your sentiment. I mean Sony should have lead with cutting edge and highly innovative titles given the "we believe in generations" motto they were selling us. But I guess this is launch year for you. Still, really stoked about DS!
I think Microsoft and Sony just need to get their head out of their own ass!

The problem is 'hype' sells and as you can see even still we don't know that much about the consoles and how they operate besides specs and they sold out whatever numbers they had in production.

When it comes to new tech people will go crazy for it and they know this. I think this next gen launch is very different to last, gaming culture has boomed and its not going to get much better I think.

Last edited:
Looking at all the studios and titles laid out, Sony definitely needs to set up or acquire some additional teams. Even if some of these studios have 2 concurrent AAA teams working in parallel on separate projects there's still gonna be some massive gaps in the release schedule. Doubly so with projects ballooning to 3-5 year production cycles.
According to some article quoting a Sony exec a while back, Sony is extremely confident in the PS5's exclusive release schedule
Apparently the PS5's exclusive release schedule is unprecedented
Given all the games we know are releasing for the PS5, I believe it
We are getting R&C, Horizon, GOW Ragnarok in the same year
Spiderman and Demon's Souls as launch titles
FF16 is coming out next year too (according to a reliable twitter source but I predict it will be delayed indefinitely)
This is not including potential sleeper hits like Solar Ash, Little Devil Inside, Returnal, Stray, etc.
The first year alone blows away the PS4's first two years
In terms of development time, Sony claims they will be greatly shortened due to the ease of developing for the PS5
3-5 year cycles will become 2-3 year cycles according to Sony

Last edited:

Reallink

According to some article quoting a Sony exec a while back, Sony is extremely confident in the PS5's exclusive release schedule
Apparently the PS5's exclusive release schedule is unprecedented
Given all the games we know are releasing for the PS5, I believe it
We are getting R&C, Horizon, GOW Ragnarok in the same year
Spiderman and Demon's Souls as launch titles
FF16 is coming out next year too (according to a reliable twitter source but I predict it will be delayed indefinitely)
This is not including potential sleeper hits like Solar Ash, Little Devil Inside, Returnal, Stray, etc.
The first year alone blows away the PS4's first two years
In terms of development time, Sony claims they will be greatly shortened due to the ease of developing for the PS5
3-5 year cycles will become 2-3 year cycles according to Sony

If those are all 2021 titles, my concern would be for 2022. Sucker, ND, and Insomniac are unlikely to have a new game ready by then, and even if one of them did, I think there needs to be more than 1 marquee first party title per year.

Last edited:
If those are all 2021 titles, my concern would be for 2022. Sucker, ND, and Insomniac are unlikely to have a new game ready by then, and even if they did, I think there needs to be more than 1 marquee title a year.
I think you're over worrying here
We're getting spoiled as gamers because the PS5's first year is insane
We don't know what secret games any of these studios have been working on just like no one expected Ragnarok to be released next year or Spiderman MM and Demon's Souls to be launch titles
The rumored Silent Hill? Could release 2022. Spiderman 2? Could release 2022.
Sucker Punch? They could release another Infamous game in 2022 and GOT 2 later in the generation
The rumored cancelled but revived Ray Space game could release 2022
Santa Monica is rumored go be working on a new IP. Cory Barlog is rumored to be working on his own new space IP
Kojima could release a new IP in 2022. That new secret Sony studio's IP could release in 2022
GG could release the rumored shooter IP they've been working on in 2022
Days Gone 2 could release in 2022 or they can make a new IP

You say 2022 is too soon for ND but again the PS5 is the easiest PS console to develop for in their history
So instead of having to wait 3-5 years for a game we will be waiting 2-3 years due to the ease of development
ND used to release the Uncharted games every two years
It was only after TLOU (which also took forever to make) that they started taking forever to release games and how do we know they haven't already been secretly working on their next PS5 game since the time Sony released the PS5's dev kits to them in 2018?
Who knows what other potential 2022 titles Sony's studios are working on
2022 might have a lot in store for us in terms of sequels and new IPs
This is not including potential 2nd party exclusives and 3rd party exclusives along with timed third party deals like a new potential IP from From Software releasing in 2022
It's way too soon to conclude how strong or weak the PS5's release schedule will be beyond 2021

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
If those are all 2021 titles, my concern would be for 2022. Sucker, ND, and Insomniac are unlikely to have a new game ready by then, and even if one of them did, I think there needs to be more than 1 marquee first party title per year.
You've got Arrowhead's AAA TPS co-op game; Japan Studio's Silent Hill soft-reboot by Keiichiro Toyama; Japan Studio's new AAA IP by Tsutomu Kouno; some platformer game by Iljima-san from Japan Studio; Wild Arms by MediaVision; Marvel's Spider-Man 2 by Brian Intihar's team; whatever game Quentin Cobb is working on at Sony's secret studio in San Diego; and who knows if even WiLD gets released by 2022 (it should).

See? A ton of potential games for 2022 without bringing out the big guns - Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Bend Studio, Kojima Productions, Cory's game or Guerrilla's second project, all of which should arrive in 2023 or 2024 at the latest.

Last edited:
You've got Arrowhead's AAA TPS co-op game; Japan Studio's Silent Hill soft-reboot by Keiichiro Toyama; Japan Studio's new AAA IP by Tsutomu Kouno; some platformer game by Iljima-san from Japan Studio; Wild Arms by MediaVision; Marvel's Spider-Man 2 by Brian Intihar's team; whatever game Quentin Cobb is working on at Sony's secret studio in San Diego; and who knows if even WiLD gets released by 2022 (it should).

See? A ton of potential games for 2022 without bringing out the big guns - Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Bend Studio, Kojima Productions, Cory's game or Guerrilla's second project, all of which should arrive in 2023 or 2024 at the latest.
I don't know how people can be worried
Look at what we are getting within the PS5's first year alone
This is why I scrambled to get a PS5 while not being all that concerned about securing a XSX
Could you imagine Ragnarok releasing and not being able to buy a PS5 due to demand and lack of units?
You know COVID is going to fuck everything up going into 2021
We are going to be bombarded with PS5 exclusives throughout the PS5's lifetime and I can't wait

Gamerguy84

There is no question WWS puts out GOTY contenders consistently. The way they share tech and everything else makes WWS one of the best in the business. Sony exclusives are so good Ive seen many become hot topics on every board I've been to.

Sucker Punch started off great with Infamous and did really good with it.. Sucker Punch latest offering even blew people away, they went from really good to GG level, expectations went up.

Buying Insomniac was a fit for them. Its on my history before the acquisition that Insom was in my top 5. They bring something different to the table. The way they can crank out games needs to be shared with the rest, except ND. They just do ND things.

Still haven't played Days Gone but will with the new +.

Very much looking forward to GT7 when PD is done as usual.

Japan helping out with DS and always cranking out my kids favorite friend in Astrobot.

GG getting HFW ready. HZD was my second favorite game current gen, those guys rock.

Santa Monica well well well. My most looked forward to game being cranked out by them, interesting. SM reinvented the GoW formula and absolutely killed it. Very moved by that game. I admit I was worried but they nailed everything about it.

That's off the top of my head so sorry for leaving someone out. I would like Sony to buy bluepoint games. Sony has a ton of IP sitting in the vault. They can just grab one and go. Resistance, Syphon Filter, IDC honestly. When they are done with DS of course. They need to be a Sony studio.

Could need an WRPG studio. I wouldnt count on Bethesda games being available.

There is some solid developers and titles there for Sony fans.

My personal preference in games only has interest in the Spiderman games though, not enough for me to warrant buying a PS5 as well.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Nothing interesting besides God of War and Naughty Dog game that will release in 2026. I hope they make a mistake and release them on Pc too. I don't want to buy another console, i've had enough. They have turned into limited pc's with paid online functions.

Rick Monster

Neo Member
Looking at the list the narrative of exclusives completely changed. It’s god of war, horizon and gran turismo vs gears 6, halo infinite, Starfield, the elder scroll 6, doom external, Wolfenstein 3 and Forza.

Buying Bethesda appears to be a game changer.
My worry with Xbox is Crackdown3 syndrome. Promising imminent arrival at every E3, only to come out at the end of the generation. And this shit with Halo delayed doesn't inspire confidence. Also Elder Scrolls and Starfield seem years out. I guess for me there are just too many red flags to take a risk in an Xbox right now.

GymWolf

Probably the first time that i'm not hugely impressed by a sony devs list...

Horizon being crossgen really soured me up badly.

doesn't Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla Games, San Diego and Japan Studio have 2 teams ?
so, it would be like 19 teams. or am I wrong ?

Nothing interesting besides God of War and Naughty Dog game that will release in 2026. I hope they make a mistake and release them on Pc too. I don't want to buy another console, i've had enough. They have turned into limited pc's with paid online functions.

one costs more than the other. you pay more, you get more framerates.
you do everything on pc. consoles are for games.
you buy a consoles in 2013 and play it until next one comes out 6-7 years later.
I don't have to worry about cards and drivers. developers do all the work.
God Of War, Uncharted 4, Ghost Of Tsushima. all great looking games.
and when ps4 launched there was Killzone and inFamous.
was there a 399$ pc that was running games like Killzone SF in 2013 ?
yes, paid online is bs. I blame Microsoft and journalists for that.
if journalists and Xbox fans said paid online is bs back in 2007, maybe things would be different.

yurinka

Bluepoint, Housemarque, and Arrowhead Studio.

Any others?
I wouldn't buy Arrowhead Studio. Bluepoint, Housemarque, Kojipro, Quantic Dream and maybe even Ready at Dawn or From Software even if currently are totally or partially purchased by other ones. I'd buy R8Games too (mostly former Wipeout devs that will release the Wipeout inspired Pacer, previously known as Formula Fusion, this week).

Mista

Banned
Japan Studio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest

Can't wait to see their new game

Warablo

Sony has some great adventure games, I am looking forward to Horizon 2, God of War 2 (maybe dlc?), Ghost of Tsushima 2 and the eventual TLOU 3. Seems like Sony is working on some online games this gen with Tlou 2 and Ghosts.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
looking forward to a Spiderman 2, God of War 2, Horizon 2, and what ever naughty dog does if they rember games should be fun.

Kokoloko85

I'll give you RnC. I won't give you a remake.

Pretty pathetic across the board though. I was hoping for more next-gen only games.

I am stoked for RnC though.

Sometimes Remake are better than anything else out there. RE1 Remake was more next gen then most games at that point Etc
Re2 remake was pretty awesome too
Technically Demon Souls looks amazing

ZimZum

Neo Member
Only 13 first party studios?
Sony have to buy more ASAP, Microsoft is going balls deep next gen.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
one costs more than the other. you pay more, you get more framerates.
you do everything on pc. consoles are for games.
you buy a consoles in 2013 and play it until next one comes out 6-7 years later.
I don't have to worry about cards and drivers. developers do all the work.
God Of War, Uncharted 4, Ghost Of Tsushima. all great looking games.
and when ps4 launched there was Killzone and inFamous.
was there a 399$ pc that was running games like Killzone SF in 2013 ?
yes, paid online is bs. I blame Microsoft and journalists for that.
if journalists and Xbox fans said paid online is bs back in 2007, maybe things would be different.

A decent Pc is cheaper than Next gen consoles in my country. And i have a decent pc right now. Other than that, you're right.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Quality over quantity. I always said that. Even if half of their exclusives don't cater very much to my tastes (although it's exceptions like The Last Guardian,Bloodborne,Gravity Rush and a few others that make their portfolio so appealing to me) no one can deny the high production values that all Sony exclusives offer.
Only Nintendo can match them in terms of quality although their exclusives are very different in style.

JCK75

God of War honestly is the only thing that really stands out to me as something I feel compelled to play.. I hope Naughty dog has more up it's sleeve than just TLOU2 content.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
God of War honestly is the only thing that really stands out to me as something I feel compelled to play.. I hope Naughty dog has more up it's sleeve than just TLOU2 content.
I definitely want them to move into a new IP. Maybe Sony can do something with that UE4 demo.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I wouldn't buy Arrowhead Studio. Bluepoint, Housemarque, Kojipro, Quantic Dream and maybe even Ready at Dawn or From Software even if currently are totally or partially purchased by other ones. I'd buy R8Games too (mostly former Wipeout devs that will release the Wipeout inspired Pacer, previously known as Formula Fusion, this week).

Ready at Dawn and Quantic Dream have moved away from Sony recently.

So I guess their second parties are Housemarque, KojiPro, Bluepoint, and Arrowhead.

yurinka

So I guess their second parties are Housemarque, KojiPro, Bluepoint, and Arrowhead.
Quantic Dream said that even if they wanted to self publish their own multi stuff without Sony, they weren't closing the door to work again with Sony in the future.

Arrowhead only made Helldivers with them, a small game with almost no sales. I don't see why Sony would want to buy them.

Damage control: the thread.

Jokes aside, I'm really curious in what the less know studios are making.

I'd like something like the Order 1886 again (not the game itself, even though I'd love a sequel, but an original idea on a new IP; the setting).

I feel like we only got open world games lately from Sony: Days Gone, Horizon, Spider Man, Ghost of Tsushima.

Still, incredible effort.

sainraja

I think the statement "we believe in generations" has been taken so out of context it's unbelievable. That was said within the context of how console gaming generations have been up to this point (Microsoft tried to message the opposite, it wasn't working and even they backtracked or became more forthcoming about the 2 year timeline.)

Console generations up until this generation never meant that support for the previous console was immediately dropped. How this narrative took over I cannot understand. Sony always supported their consoles when releasing a new one, Microsoft had always been quick to jump into the new one and they tried to say or make it very clear that this time they wouldn't.

Anyway, there were always going to be games that release across the current and next consoles; why is anyone surprised about that? Have you been sleeping or something?

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Wait, there's a new Wild Arms in development? When did that happen?
In july of 2018 MediaVision (Wild Arms series, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Valkyria Chronicles 4) was looking for developers to work on a PlayStation 4 RPG game. A year later, DasVergeben said the following on reddit:
Something I have heard for a while now is that a new Wild Arms game is in development but it has been over a year long journey getting that verified. I still struggle to get definite enough confirmation but I think it might have been because I heard about it too early.

I don't know much other than that it apparently is in development by Media Vision for PS4. I haven't been told anything specific yet at least.

I do wonder if Sony might try and shift over to push it as a PS5 launch game or something if they don't reveal it this year [...] but that's simply speculation on my behalf.
DasVergeben has a good track record, having provided accurate information on Capcom franchises such as Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom and Dino Crisis, as well as on the releases of classic Dragon Quest games, Pikmin 3 and Ori and the Bling Forest for the Nintendo Switch.

Perrott

Gold Member

You are missing Supermassive on that list. The studio's managing director confirmed during an interview in 2018 that they were working with Sony on "several PlayStation exclusives".

joe_zazen

Sad to say, but all I feel is apathy towards that list.

tenor.gif

Sony should instead of buy buying studios build more studios, reopen old ones like evolution and psygnosis.Hire for every new studio atleast 100 new people and make lots of diverse games like simcity or Altered Beast 2D and 3D.Sony should make Dragon Dogma like RPGs more fun racing games like Mario kart or motorstorm.Sony has some weird decisions when Fromsoft made demons souls and demons souls build a big following and was cheered as a great game ,Sony should have bought From back then for a few pennies.Now someone else bought them and they look dumm.Always this nonsense that a studio must make super sellers before they approach them for buying.

ZywyPL

Banned
Sony should instead of buy buying studios build more studios, reopen old ones like evolution and psygnosis.Hire for every new studio atleast 100 new people and make lots of diverse games like simcity or Altered Beast 2D and 3D.Sony should make Dragon Dogma like RPGs more fun racing games like Mario kart or motorstorm.Sony has some weird decisions when Fromsoft made demons souls and demons souls build a big following and was cheered as a great game ,Sony should have bought From back then for a few pennies.Now someone else bought them and they look dumm.Always this nonsense that a studio must make super sellers before they approach them for buying.

Sadly that doesn't work like that, all those people from closed studios went somewhere else and I don't think they would come back to a publisher that closed them just like that, despite saving its butt in the harsh PS3 days with all those amazing franchises. 100 people for each studio would be an enormous investment, 100k salary minimum for the programmers, let alone higher positions, now all that times 13, it's just too much to happen overnight, slowly over time of couple of years, sure, but not within a year or two, it's just more efficient to buy timed exclusivity, especially that there's zero work involved.

Angelcurio

Don't play with my heart like that. It would be one of the best news regarding that ip in a while.

Top Bottom