• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony further invests in Epic Games

VFXVeteran

Banned
How hard will that be - is it likely there is specific stuff in custom engines that just aren't there in UE or is it just a case of all the features will be there, it will just be a case of how to use them and their efficacy?
Well the whole idea is to use one codebase. UE is extremely portable and incorporates all the latest graphics features. If Sony is making PC ports for the exclusives, it would make sense to have all the companies adopt UE for their development. They can still write custom code for it (we do it all the time here).

rapid32.5

Can't wait getting Sony games for free on Epic store and completely ignoring 70$ on PSN.
At least Epic keeps their games in the store and not removing them.

Last edited:
Microsoft outspent Sony by about.. what 6-7 billions in recent years but PlayStation had 3 launch ready games and 2 more coming in 2 months compared to Microsoft’s 0 on launch and 0 with announced release dates. They are also eclipsing Nintendo in quantity of exclusives. They shipped their console with a controller packed to the brim with industry leading tech and features while ms still gives ya triple a batteries on a 60 dollar controller. Point out the bean counting for me 😊
Let me fix that for ya.

MS outspent Sony by about... what 6-7 billion in recent years but Playstation had a decade old game, a tech demo, and an expansion held hostage in order to fleece their customers into buying a PS5, and a bunch of delayed games that will launch who knows when. Compared to Microsofts 0 at launch. They shipped their console with a controller with an abysmal battery life and an even more abysmal fail rate which has already led to class action lawsuits. While MS gives you the widely regarded best controller in the industry with not only superior battery life, but options in how you choose to power it. Point out the bean counting for me, because I can't see it with these fanboy goggles on.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It just sounds like a logical financial investment for Sony to me. I'm really not expecting anything to be created specifically between Epic and Sony from this, but if I'm wrong then great. More entertainment.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Perhaps it helps build relations with Tencent, the actual monster in this room.
I've been wondering about that for quite some time actually, but never said anything because I don't have any information on that.

It seems like Tencent and Sony are getting closer with Epic being the "mutual friend". This could be Sony's strategy to counter the behemoth that is MS. But how will such a partnership work, I have no idea.

ZehDon

Seems like a pretty safe and smart investment. Unreal Engine are the big guns, especially for multi-platform development, and Unreal's usage on The Mandalorian has really shown that it applies to far more than just video games.

Codes 208

It just sounds like a logical financial investment for Sony to me. I'm really not expecting anything to be created specifically between Epic and Sony from this, but if I'm wrong then great. More entertainment.
Epic hasn’t made a game since fortnite so I think it’s clear they won’t be making anything specifically for Sony outside of showcasings (which itself isn’t that bad.)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Down the line Epic Games Store will be changed to Epic PlayStation Games Store. I call it.

Investing in Epic Games makes Xbox fanboys sick.

Yeah while pc players loves it because egs is the best store on pc period and people would NEVER ignore a PlayStation game on egs because people flok over to egs to buy timed exclusives already.

John Wick

This isn't SIE, this is Sony as a whole. I suspect their movie division is the primary driver for this. Unreal Engine for movies in the future?
Yup and with Sony Crystal LED tech being used in movies too. The Mandalorian uses it for backgrounds etc. Good to streamline both.
Also with Sony taking an interest in PC UE5 could easily be adopted by more SWW studios.

Papacheeks

Banned
Microsoft outspent Sony by about.. what 6-7 billions in recent years but PlayStation had 3 launch ready games and 2 more coming in 2 months compared to Microsoft’s 0 on launch and 0 with announced release dates. They are also eclipsing Nintendo in quantity of exclusives. They shipped their console with a controller packed to the brim with industry leading tech and features while ms still gives ya triple a batteries on a 60 dollar controller. Point out the bean counting for me 😊

Only thing Microsoft has is value. There's another thread on it, but their first party studios are still years away. Most of this E3 is going to be about Acquisitions and games coming day one to gamepass. And probably some of the rumored things happening.

If we dont see gameplay for Fable, Everwild, or at least a updated trailer with gameplay for perfect dark. I think it confirms the Gameindustry.biz article.

Microsoft has been spending a lot this year for gamepass, and it's going to continue. And I feel the reason is they know they dont have a lot of software ready for rest of 2021. FOrza, Halo are going to be the big titles for the year on top of whatever deal they made with some day one gamepass games.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Fortnite, Rocket League, Unreal Engine 5.... ??

What's confusing?

Because if Sony hadn't invested 450 million dollars, Epic would never have ported UE5 to PS5 or released Fortnite for PS5? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Renozokii

Only thing Microsoft has is value. There's another thread on it, but their first party studios are still years away. Most of this E3 is going to be about Acquisitions and games coming day one to gamepass. And probably some of the rumored things happening.

If we dont see gameplay for Fable, Everwild, or at least a updated trailer with gameplay for perfect dark. I think it confirms the Gameindustry.biz article.

Microsoft has been spending a lot this year for gamepass, and it's going to continue. And I feel the reason is they know they dont have a lot of software ready for rest of 2021. FOrza, Halo are going to be the big titles for the year on top of whatever deal they made with some day one gamepass games.
I don’t disagree gamepass is a good value. What I disagree with is Sony bean counting. There’s no merit to that.

Games take time, we got Halo and few smaller titles I imagine. Not sure Forza will be this year mind. From 22 onwards the first party output of Microsoft will dwarf Sony's and Nintendo, they have a formidable first party ensemble.

Papacheeks

Banned
Games take time, we got Halo and few smaller titles I imagine. Not sure Forza will be this year mind. From 22 onwards the first party output of Microsoft will dwarf Sony's and Nintendo, they have a formidable first party ensemble.

Quality takes time. ANd not every thing that you try is a home run. AKa Days gone. Microsoft has a bigger hurdle because they went a whole gen without anything significant that moved the needle. So now a lot is riding on all these studios hitting it out of the park. I have hope for Playground Games, and obsidian. Where im unsure are the other studios. But Matt Booty is a better manager of software than Phil so hopefully he's making good calls.

Hezekiah

Banned
Let me fix that for ya.

MS outspent Sony by about... what 6-7 billion in recent years but Playstation had a decade old game, a tech demo, and an expansion held hostage in order to fleece their customers into buying a PS5, and a bunch of delayed games that will launch who knows when. Compared to Microsofts 0 at launch. They shipped their console with a controller with an abysmal battery life and an even more abysmal fail rate which has already led to class action lawsuits. While MS gives you the widely regarded best controller in the industry with not only superior battery life, but options in how you choose to power it. Point out the bean counting for me, because I can't see it with these fanboy goggles on.
Any stats on the DualSense failure rate, or we just pulling them out of thin air?

"Widely regarded best controller". Really, where Colt Eastwood's YouTube channel? Picked one up for my PC and it's too small, the d-pad is just less shite than before, and the triggers pale in comparison to the aforementioned DualSense. Oh yeah and it still uses AA batteries....

And let's not talk about delayed games.

Last edited:

NickFire

Maybe by the end of June we learn the rest of this story. There has to be something going on beyond what they've said. That's a lot of money.

BootsLoader

Banned
Let me fix that for ya.

To be honest everybody told me the same for ps4. That Sony promised me games that will be released “who knows when” while Microsoft is best of the best and deliver the goods etc. At this state neither Microsoft nor Sony delivered anything. It’s the same old piece of shit for both of them.

Top Bottom