• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony forms new PlayStation Mobile department, will create games based off new and existing IP.

Only a week ago Sony had created their new PC games department to create new, or port existing PS5 games to PC.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony-is-looking-to-expand-its-‘playstation-pc-game-experiences’-department.1640453/

Now they have created a new PlayStation Mobile department.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/29/23326666/sony-playstation-studios-mobile-team-games-phone-savage

As part of Sony’s push into mobile gaming, the company has formed a PlayStation Studios Mobile Division that will operate separately from console game development. According to a press release, the new team will create mobile games with “new and existing PlayStation IP.”

Sony’s move to form a mobile gaming division aligns with the company’s overall goal of extending its IP to PC and mobile games, as well as TV series and movies. Earlier this year, Sony announced that it wants half of its games to be on PC and mobile by 2025, with Sony Interactive Entertainment president Jim Ryan stating that it could result in a “significant growth in the number of people who play our games.” The company’s also looking to expand into live service games — games like Fortnite, Rocket League, or Destiny 2 that are continually updated to keep players interested — with its $3.6 billion acquisition of Bungie.

Hermen Hulst, the head of PlayStation Studios, said the company’s “proud” of its “upcoming releases on PC,” which should give gamers without a Playstation console a chance to experience games like Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection and Marvel’s Spider-Man. “Our mobile gaming efforts will be similarly additive, providing more ways for more people to engage with our content,” he said, “and striving to reach new audiences unfamiliar with PlayStation and our games.”

As we all know (has it's own thread) Sony's first step into growing it's new Mobile Department was the purchase of Savage games, however nothing else has been announced regarding the mobile department. But if it's like the new PC department, we will see ports and likely spin-offs of popular Sony IP into mobile.

With both a PS5, a PC, and now a Mobile department under the PlayStation banner, it's clear Sony is going for a "play anywhere" approach to gaming, even expanding their IP to TV, Sony is no longer only confined to the PS5, and is now spreading its resources in order expand the audience of the PlayStation ecosystem. Herman Hulst, and Jim Ryan, who is credited with expanding Sony's reach to billions of potential players, expect their mobile releases to be just as addicting as what you'll find on PS5 and PC.

How do you like this new open direction Sony's leadership has pushed PlayStation in? Greatly expanding PlayStations audience and ecosystem? More players is always a good thing in my opinion. It also helps bring developers more profit when you can sell on more than one platform.

Last edited:

Salz01

I normally wouldn’t care, and I can see it making sense. Having a focus on mobile games etc. But I’m getting to the point of just being pissed at any Sony announcement as of late. I feel like my PS5 is just a PS4 Pro Pro at this point. Wish they were more clear what’s coming exclusive on the PS5. As in true next gen titles. Price hike, another controller, mobile studio, pc studios, VR2…. Yea cool. Where dem fuckin PS5 games though……

pqueue

eJKvath.gif

NickFire

I think it's not even smart, it's obvious. It's dumb not to do so.
I don't really disagree with you. But I strenuously agree with the guy who is tired of all the Sony announcements that aren't related to new PS5 games. I've had enough hearing about new business models, movies, ports or studio acquisitions. Show us what all these studios are working on for PS5, and give us some more concrete information about launch dates for PS5 games. Let's see what Bungie is up to finally. Let's see what these GaaS are shaping into. How about some ace combat designed for next gen, or at least a PS5 port of the last one. Spiderman progress would be nice to help me keep believing its a 2023 game. Yada yada yada. Show us the PS5 games!

I can already predict a runner game taking place in the Uncharted universe, God of War turn-based game where you have companions, Gran Turismo, but this time with mobile tier microtransactions.

Except If they manage to get their own Fortnite from their mobile games, they will have infinite money source for their singleplayer games.
Maybe, but they are probably hoping that their console and PC GAAS titles (at least two of them) are big enough to do that.

ManaByte

Except Nintendos investment made billions
Super Mario Run failed though because they wanted to be "good guy Nintendo" and sell it for a one time fee of $10, which doesn't work as well on mobile.

Then Nintendo started to charge $5 a month just to access 250cc in Mario Kart Tour.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't really disagree with you. But I strenuously agree with the guy who is tired of all the Sony announcements that aren't related to new PS5 games. I've had enough hearing about new business models, movies, ports or studio acquisitions. Show us what all these studios are working on for PS5, and give us some more concrete information about launch dates for PS5 games. Let's see what Bungie is up to finally. Let's see what these GaaS are shaping into. How about some ace combat designed for next gen, or at least a PS5 port of the last one. Spiderman progress would be nice to help me keep believing its a 2023 game. Yada yada yada. Show us the PS5 games!

I think the don't wanna announce games that aren't standing on a solid ground yet. But the rumored showcase might have something in it. I'm happy with their approach overall and can't wait to watch TLOU series.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

This. Mobile pie is too big to ignore and Sony has too many IPs to not leverage.

Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Shut0wen

Super Mario Run failed though because they wanted to be "good guy Nintendo" and sell it for a one time fee of $10, which doesn't work as well on mobile.

Then Nintendo started to charge $5 a month just to access 250cc in Mario Kart Tour.
But mario kart tour and pokemon go still to this day make money, fire emblem did well in asian markets also, dont get me wrong they have made more games that failed then being successful but pokemon go still makes a billion a year

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think it's not even smart, it's obvious. It's dumb not to do so.
So the whole team behind the PS4 were idiots?

Sony is going down the drain with their profit maximazation strategy. GaaS, multiplayer, mobile, movies… Sheit man, we sure did come a long way since the 4 the players campaign… More like 4 the $$$ now… Disgusting… No wonder I haven’t turned on my consoles for weeks. What a shitshow.

Last edited:
This is a bit different, but they the mobile thing before. I even downloaded the SDK to try it out. They were trying to get people to make games on that framework that would be compatible with iOS, Android and PSP/PSVita.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So the whole team behind the PS4 were idiots?

Sony is going down the drain with their profit maximazation strategy. GaaS, multiplayer, mobile, movies… Sheit man, we sure did come a long way since the 4 the players campaign… More like 4 the $$$ now… Disgusting… No wonder I haven’t turned on my consoles for weeks. What a shitshow.

No, phones today can run some PS4 games, and they're the leading platform in terms of revenue. Pouring money into PlayStation won't hurt. Spending 21-22 billion a year and only making 2-3B profit is kinda a bit dangerous if shit hits the fan.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Is it even possible to release games on Android/iOS games for normal price and not get hacked? If so, then I think many phones can run proper games as we've seen with Genshin which is a much more demanding game than Zelda.
Most games on mobile can be cracked/hacked - but not if they're GaaS and if they're F2P there's no incentive to do it.

High end smartphones for the past 3 years leaves Switch in the dust. My 2 year old phone has 12GB's of RAM :messenger_tears_of_joy: Games (if optimized) on todays smartphones/tablets would look better than what PS4 could do - and they evenhave 120hz OLED panels. Yeah, we're in for a treat if they're going all-in.

Astral Dog

Its a market Nintendo themselves admited they have trouble figuring out, but its been overall profitable.

Pokemon Go! is an obvious one, Fire Emblem Heroes is a big hit and cash cow, even if Super Mario Run and Mario Kart Tour failed to bring on the biggest profits they certainly didn't hurt the brand

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Most games on mobile can be cracked/hacked - but not if they're GaaS and if they're F2P there's no incentive to do it.

High end smartphones for the past 3 years leaves Switch in the dust. My 2 year old phone has 12GB's of RAM :messenger_tears_of_joy: Games (if optimized) on todays smartphones/tablets would look better than what PS4 could do - and they evenhave 120hz OLED panels. Yeah, we're in for a treat if they're going all-in.

Yeah I think if sold for a cheap they might "not" get hacked as often, especially if you get some boosts and tied to something forces them to buy legit games. Maybe start with PlayStation launcher for mobile? Not sure how they can protect their games.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No, phones today can run some PS4 games, and they're the leading platform in terms of revenue. Pouring money into PlayStation won't hurt. Spending 21-22 billion a year and only making 2-3B profit is kinda a bit dangerous if shit hits the fan.
They were making enough profit as it is. IIRC the PlayStation devision was the most profitable for Sony during the PS4 days. And now they‘re flushing it all down the drain.

Oh but wait… I‘m sure all those games now in production will be MASSIVE, Jimbo has the best for us in his heart. We might not have seen any of this yet (games released now are still more or less still Laydne‘s legacy) but I‘m suuuuurrreeeeeee they are coming. Any day now mate, any day.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Yeah I think if sold for a cheap they might get hacked easily, especially if you get some boosts and tied to something forces them to buy legit games. Maybe start with PlayStation launcher for mobile? Not sure how they can protect their games.
They'll make the games always-online.

Robb

Gold Member
Except Nintendos investment made billions
Yeah they’ve made a lot of money on it for sure, but I doubt many of them were as successful as they would hope, othewise they probably wouldn’t shut a lot of them down like with Miitomo, Dragalia or Dr.Mario.

You’d think Animal Crossing would do gangbusters but they’ve probably made a lot more money on the console installment.

GymWolf

Last edited:
wake up fellow gamers: Apple makes MORE money in gaming than the Big 3 combined.

Ya'll will play God of War / Killzone: Mobile, staph...

Also Gen Z and Gen Alpha don't care about where they play games. That's the hard truth i had to realize.

When you realized that the software you, we , I still called a "video game" died years ago (ask anyone younger than age 25), they don't understand, you will look at the industry alot differently.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
have we not suffered enough

xperia-play-open-controller
This was actually a good phone, with an SoC inside it that was not slow like molasses (at least for the first 4-5 FW updates) it would have been exactly what the doctor ordered. But no… people want paper thin phones (this was thicc, but easy to pocket… with a more modern mechanism you could make retractable mini sticks or hey nubs).

Top Bottom