• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony first party studios are the most prepared for next gen based on rumours and OP's headcanon

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
Starts thread about how Sony is prepared. Mentions no games then finishes by throwing shit at Microsoft. Console warrior warning, ban next time
Let's say PS5 launched in fall 2020

By that date many Sony first party devs would have been developing their games for such a long time.

Date Last Game was Released - Studio - Game - How many years it's been
Early 2015 - ArrowHead - HellDivers - 6 Years
Early 2016 - Insomniac Sub Team - Ratchet and Clank - 5 Years
Early 2017 - Team Siren - Gravity Rush 2 - 4 Years
Early 2017 - Guerilla Games - Horizon - 4 Years
Fall 2017 - Polyphony - Gran Turismo Sport - 3 Years
Fall 2017 - Sony Japan - Knack - 3 Years
Early 2018 - Bluepoint - 3 Years
Early 2018 - Insomniac Main Team - Spiderman - 3 Years
Mid 2018 - Santa Monica - God of War - 2.5 Years
Fall 2018 - Asobi Team - Astrobot - 2 Years

That's alot of games in development for a while. I haven't included things like Guerilla Games having 2 teams or rumoured San Diego team. I have included Arrowhead who are not Sony first party but have worked closely with them as well as Bluepoint who are rumoured to be working on something.

But damn I have never seen Sony been more prepared for next gen. Not only in quantity but the quality of their teams. Let's not forget the transition for Sony devs from PS3 to PS4 was huge due to architecture differences, with PS5 being the same architecture and being really easy to develop for in sure these games won't need too much time in the oven. I remember reading Insomniac explaining due to lack of SSD how long it took to develop Spiderman for some things they needed to do.

I expect Sony to have good support early on for PS5 but at the same time not blow their load, just have a good pace of exclusives maybe even sitting in games and polishing them.

Although Microsoft bought a few studios how prepared are they. How big are their teams. Will we only get promises of hot games coming but won't see them for a long time. The reason I am pessimistic is because Microsoft has promised alot in the past and not delivering. Now Microsoft are stating they have loads of games but we getting Last of Us 2 now and Ghost of Tsushima, Sony also do alot of talking and delay alot but in the end they seem to have games coming in sheer quantity and quality.

How long was Everwild in development will it release soon? Will it be good or will it dissapoint on release like Sea of Thieves. Halo Infinite has had development issues with Director leaving, how were the developers previous games regarded. Was Halo 5 as big as God of War or have GotY nominations. If not then why the hype for Halo Infinite. Hellblade 2 looks great is that gameplay, how long has it been in development and is it coming any time soon, if not why show it this early? How big is the Hellblade 2 team and is the team still a small a team like before. DoubleFine and inXile are cool developers bit are these big teams that can compete with Naughty Dog and Guerilla or will we just be excited these teams were purchased yet when their games release no one will care. That happens alot even with Sony for example Concrete Genie, Microsoft has had games like ReCore and Bleeding Edge released and no one cares. People were more hyped at the initial reveal of developers than the actual games. ReCore made by creators of Metroid Prime etc.

Microsoft has a tendency to overpromise and not deliver, alot of smoke and mirrors of what's coming but in the end not many quality games being produced. They have already stated they will not release next gen exclusives for the first year. I just feel even with the studios Microsoft have purchased they still haven't proven they can deliver quality first party games and people swayed by them without them showing the receipts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom