• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files patent to enable game emulation across PS1-3

Sony are pricks about BC. Six years ago, some glitch happened on their end that allowed a MASS amount of previously non-compatible PSP and PSOne games to be able to be downloaded and played on Vita. I managed to download most of my library and even bought some new games to play on Vita. Then Sony quickly "fixed" the issue and those games become incompatible for play on Vita again. If you downloaded them, you can play them, but if deleted, you could not re-download. Many were never made compatible again.

I honestly never forgave them for this. They literally have hundreds of games ready to go for BC and never moved forward because "fuck you we believe in generations."

Article:

That explains how i was able to download the crash games on vita :pie_thinking:

emulate across PS1 to 3, via cloud gaming, I know this is somewhat already covered with PS-Now but the fact that it also covers the PS1 and 2 is big news in of itself....so basically a "virtual machine" would mimic the operating systems of the PS-1/2 and 3 ..
Cloud gaming is not emulation,
XBix plays only 30 games, because MS decided to work on backward compatibility of XSX. AFAR Phill was talking about that some time ago. All that games can by played from disc. To be precise when you put disc into your console it's downloaded from servers. It works exactly same as X360 games, disc is only key to run game.
Well, then you don't really play the game from the disc, it needs to download some patch or profile to run in the emulator (the game is probably de-compiled and then a new binary is recompiled for the new platform to ensure best possible performance). Anyway, BC is not the right word for what Ms does. Just backward compatibility between PS4 & PS5 gives you more games than what MS has to offer with their 360/OG BC, however they do provide nice enhancements... But still, I can't just pop-in an OG xbox game and expect it to work, and I can't at all if for any reason I decide to play it while offline, the situation is similar for the 360, it's dubious when they claim they offer "BC", they offer a selection of titles from their old consoles.

Best solution is like Xbox allowing compatible games via disc and download, BUT if a cloud emulation program can allow 100% of PS1-PS3 games that's solid. Messes up disc lovers, but a digital way of emulating it might allow more games to be covered. I think Xbox One's BC was capped at maybe 50 Xbox OG games and 500 360 games and that's it.

Yeah, the Xbox One plays around 50 OG Xbox games (the OG Xbox disk of GTA San Andreas can also technically be used to activate the 360 version) and 575 Xbox 360 games. However, Microsoft has stated that they do intend on adding more games, they just needed to pause the program for new games to ensure that every existing BC game and all Xbox One games would work on Series X. I can definitely see there being around half of each system's library by the end of all of this coming generation tbh

Saber

Gold Member
So they gonna let me play PS2 and 3 games...but in a cloud service?

Looks like hapinessis shortlived. I truly want bc to be a thing, but not that way.

Barakov

Gold Member
Just read an article (unless someone else has reported it here as well already) that Sony of Japan have filed a patent to allow a console to emulate across PS1 to 3, via cloud gaming, I know this is somewhat already covered with PS-Now but the fact that it also covers the PS1 and 2 is big news in of itself....so basically a "virtual machine" would mimic the operating systems of the PS-1/2 and 3 ..

More here: https://www.psu.com/news/sony-files-a-patent-to-enable-game-emulation-across-ps1-ps2-ps3-titles/
Again with the "cloud" bullshit

SlXslw1.jpg

Fake

Well... Thats a shame about cloud gaming.

Call me again when you're ready for real emulation Sony.

I always thought it was weird that they went 15 years and two generations back to describe the Tempest engine as Cell SPU-like.

I wonder if it's an underpromise, over deliver situation. Not promising anything so that no one can be upset at them, but trying on a per game basis to see if it can handle SPU code not well handled by anything else still.
Hmm... using Tempest to emulate the SPUs? That would be pretty cool.

subsmoke

Interesting. If this is real, will it be as good as PC emulation? I can't imagine people giving up PC emulators for this unless you can play with high resolution, widescreen hacks, custom textures and so on. PS1 and 2 games played at native resolution on the PS3 with few enhancements.

GHG

Can a PC equivalent to the PS5 be able to run PS3 games via emulation?

Yes, and at much better resolution /framerate than the original games:

And this is from the work of the community who have had to reverse engineer the PS3 to get the emulator to the standard it is today and get it working across a wide range of PC hardware. No doubt Sony's in house team who know the PS3 inside out and would only need to get an emulator working on one console could do a better job, but they clearly don't give a shit.

kuncol02

Banned
Cloud gaming is not emulation,

Well, then you don't really play the game from the disc, it needs to download some patch or profile to run in the emulator (the game is probably de-compiled and then a new binary is recompiled for the new platform to ensure best possible performance). Anyway, BC is not the right word for what Ms does. Just backward compatibility between PS4 & PS5 gives you more games than what MS has to offer with their 360/OG BC, however they do provide nice enhancements... But still, I can't just pop-in an OG xbox game and expect it to work, and I can't at all if for any reason I decide to play it while offline, the situation is similar for the 360, it's dubious when they claim they offer "BC", they offer a selection of titles from their old consoles.
As far as I'm concerned backward compatibility between PS4 and PS5 don't offer you any game to play, because PS5 not exists for now.
Why you are comparing compatibility of of XOne & X360 with (theoretical) compatibility of PS4 & PS5 ? comparison with PS3 don't look that good? Sony has working PS2 emulator, but decided to sell games instead of allowing you to play your own disks. Why there is no way to play PSX games on PS4? They have emulator and console is more than enough to play them (you can run PSX emulator even on PSP). If there is problem with reading CD, then there are always games bought on PSStore.

Yes, and at much better resolution /framerate than the original games:

And this is from the work of the community who have had to reverse engineer the PS3 to get the emulator to the standard it is today and get it working across a wide range of PC hardware. No doubt Sony's in house team who know the PS3 inside out and would only need to get an emulator working on one console could do a better job, but they clearly don't give a shit.

Thank you. Yeah I'm aware it's made progress, they really should emulate it natively at 60FPS, hopefully they can eventually.

Dabaus

Banned
Id rather have the hardware natively be backwards compatible but PSNOW might be the most realistic way to achieve this. PS1-PS3 backwards compatibility might be a big selling for psnow as well so thats probably why its going to be tied to that.

Rayderism

Clouds dry up and blow away. If they MUST monetize BC, how about just selling PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC as payed apps on PS5. I'd be OK with that, especially if it was physical support. I doubt Road Rash (PS1) will ever be in their cloud collection, and that's about the only PS1 game I still play consistently.

Pantz

Would love to build up a digital library of future proofed PS1-PS3 games. They could get a lot of money from me if they did. Not like this though.

scalman

so cloud is bad because ? i see just good points here. console is allways connected anyways, if not home i could connect it still anywhere where my phone can catch net.
most games not working offline anyway so. why people still shocking of word online these days ? your phone probably is allways online anyway but nobody cares about that, mine is 24/7 with unlimited data , so yh cloud emulators could be nice. it could be nice on phones too or any device , you dont need to install them just load online and use.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Strictly on topic: This is an interesting move, if indeed streams can be stable enough to achieve this these days~

Opportunistic anecdote, tangentially on topic:
To be honest, I've got a PS Vita with a 128GB expansion.. I've got games from all over the PlayStation generations and epoch... And i barely play any of the old games. This is a subjective thing - I've just lost my ram for obsolete gameplay, i think - but really, with all honesty, I'm not sure i would play more than a handful of hours of retro titles on a PS5. So yeah this development isn't looking like affecting me very much.

(For the record the old games i do play include.. MGS 1, Lumines, uh, Valkyria Chronicles 2... Trying damn hard for it to also be Legend of Heroes... But really, it's just Lumines these days.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Teslerum

i can understand PS3 emulation being difficult but there is no excuse for PS1/PS2 emulation not being possible on PS5.

Considering how well RPSC3 runs on inferior hardware, the PS5 should absolutly be able to handle PS3 games.

Last edited:

Miles708

so cloud is bad because ? i see just good points here. console is allways connected anyways, if not home i could connect it still anywhere where my phone can catch net.
most games not working offline anyway so. why people still shocking of word online these days ? your phone probably is allways online anyway but nobody cares about that, mine is 24/7 with unlimited data , so yh cloud emulators could be nice. it could be nice on phones too or any device , you dont need to install them just load online and use.

I'll try to break it down in less points as possible. The 2 most important bits (in my opinion) are these:
  1. Not everyone has a connection decent enough to support streaming, or even to dowload GB of data in a reasonable time (I'm sitting at around 2GB per hour in download, on good days at least). Depending on your location, even with a decent speed your internet can be very unstable;
  2. You have to rely to yet another additional layer of services to be able to play. Crucially, all these services MUST work at all times on top of each other, or you're screwed.
    So, in addition to your console, you're relying also on your internet provider, AND the Playstation Network, AND the could service.
    It all works wonderfully, until it suddenly doesn't.
Keeping these services online is a 24/7 effort on the provider part (Sony, your telephone company, and any other party involved) so things can (and will) go awry.

Lastly Sony has a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad track record regarding the support of his online services and games, so the least you have to rely in their good heart, the better you can sleep.

Top Bottom