• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files patent to enable game emulation across PS1-3

RAIDEN1

Just read an article (unless someone else has reported it here as well already) that Sony of Japan have filed a patent to allow a console to emulate across PS1 to 3, via cloud gaming, I know this is somewhat already covered with PS-Now but the fact that it also covers the PS1 and 2 is big news in of itself....so basically a "virtual machine" would mimic the operating systems of the PS-1/2 and 3 ..

More here: https://www.psu.com/news/sony-files-a-patent-to-enable-game-emulation-across-ps1-ps2-ps3-titles/

via cloud gaming

how-bout-no.gif

yurinka

Let's hope they patented this because they plan to emulate them both locally in the PS5 console and through streaming in PS Now, but only patented the PS Now part because emulating games locally is already patented because both them and others did it many times before.

If it isn't the case, let's hope that this patent means PS5 will emulate PS1, PS2 and PS3 locally and then you'll be able to stream it to other screen through Remote Play.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Isn't it just a giveaway that the plan is to offer the PS1/2/3 back catalog on every platform, not just PS5?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m pretty much positive that PS1/2/3 will come to PS5.

But not like this. No. That’s vile. I would rather watch LetsPlays on YouTube than this. Ew.

johntown

Banned
Hooray for probably featureless emulation that only emulates native resoltuion and you have to pay a monthly fee for. No thanks! I will stick to emulating on my PC until they at least provide upscaled options. If it provides at least some sort of upscale then I support it.

cm osi

If they can do it via cloud gaming then just allow people to do it natively ffs.

The emulators are clearly there, stop being dicks about it.
if they do via cloud gaming then it's a service you'll be paying for. if you can do it locally sony doesn't get a dime

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder what will happen to all the digital PS1-PS3 games then. I get sick of hearing that the PSP/Vita/PS3 PSN store is getting shut down. It nerves me that no one can address that. Sony should say something, otherwise it’s a bunch of talk by GameStop employees talking about its future.

Jayjayhd34

Cloud gaming huh i sub to ps now last night, as i got itch to replay RC crack in time it was fine but visuals where bad on my 4k TV really bad i couldn't play for very long Sony have such good library of old games the cloud just does not do these games justice...

Blond

Banned
i can understand PS3 emulation being difficult but there is no excuse for PS1/PS2 emulation not being possible on PS5.

With the strides something like PCSX3 I refuse to believe Sony's own in house engineering team can't build an emulator, especially considering it's playing some games 4k60. Sony could easily just their work and pump money and man power into making it work on the PS5, I once heard a rumor they were working with them but I doubt that's true.

Quasicat

Cloud gaming huh i sub to ps now last night, as i got itch to replay RC crack in time it was fine but visuals where bad on my 4k TV really bad i couldn't play for very long Sony have such good library of old games the cloud just does not do these games justice...
I did the exact same thing in January and was so disappointed for the video quality I was getting (even though my isp hits the minimum requirements.
I hopped on Amazon in April, with the extra money from the government and picked up a new Super Slim for $300. It looks absolutely amazing on my 4K set. I know people think it’s a waste since next gen is coming, but this way I am guaranteed to be able to play the PS3 classics.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If people still want to play old games (Why would you want to?) SONY has to make backwards compatibility happen, you don't buy a new console to play old games.

Jayjayhd34

With the strides something like PCSX3 I refuse to believe Sony's own in house engineering team can't build an emulator, especially considering it's playing some games 4k60. Sony could easily just their work and pump money and man power into making it work on the PS5, I once heard a rumor they were working with them but I doubt that's true.

As hard as it is believe someone actually modded a ps3 emulator on ps4. I had augment with a guy on here about this and couldn't believe myself. So yeah its possible.

Quasicat

What has me concerned is how not every PS4 game is backwards compatible and it seems like it will take a while to get most of them there due to testing. If it is taking this long for PS4 titles, it would definitely take a lot longer for the previous three systems.

Jayjayhd34

I did the exact same thing in January and was so disappointed for the video quality I was getting (even though my isp hits the minimum requirements.
I hopped on Amazon in April, with the extra money from the government and picked up a new Super Slim for $300. It looks absolutely amazing on my 4K set. I know people think it’s a waste since next gen is coming, but this way I am guaranteed to be able to play the PS3 classics.

I have i wired 80meg connection so yeah not speed. I think the stream is 720p max, i am tempted to go get old ps3.

Garibaldi

I'd actually be ok with it being cloud based as long as they don't expect me to pay a sub/buy my library again (haha, like that'll happen). I still have the PS3 connected up for the MGS/Dead Space series, I'd love to retire it if it's the only way to emulate it. It's not as if my PS5 will ever not be net connected.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I don’t think its possible to play from Playstation 1 disc’s. No cd player in the PS5..

Pretty sure Xbox only plays like 30 something OG xbox games and cant play them from disc either.

Its not exactly what I want but at least its something To let me play the older games though.

And if its a part of PS Now, Ill subscribe day 1. Especially if I can download PS1 and PS2 games like Ps Now lets you with PS4 games.
Ill take access to all the old PS1 and PS2 and PS3 library for under £10

But damn, I really want to be able to download PS1, PS2, and PS3 games onto PS5.
Fingers crossed that feature is there

DryPancakes

Banned
Would it be too much to ask to be able to play my already existing ps3 library on ps5?

Answer is yes, it's too much to ask.

sendit

What do you guys have against cloud gaming? Is it just kneejerk Luddite nonsense?

I personally have nothing against it and believe it is where we are headed towards.

However, it is not ready for prime time. The backend infrastructure physically just isn’t there from server to an end users home/device. To simplify, the latency introduced with cloud gaming is just bad.

Last edited:

wvnative

Sony allows PS4 games from PSNow to be downloaded and run locally,

I think the same will happen with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games or there was no reason to mention virtual machine.

The whole point of a virtual machine is to run another system within a system.

I just hope I can play my disk based PS2/PS3 games also.

You can also run PS2 games locally on PSnow

kuncol02

Banned
I don’t think its possible to play from Playstation 1 disc’s. No cd player in the PS5..

Pretty sure Xbox only plays like 30 something OG xbox games and cant play them from disc either.
There is no technical problem to make bluray drive which reads CD disc. So that's not argument at all.
XBix plays only 30 games, because MS decided to work on backward compatibility of XSX. AFAR Phill was talking about that some time ago. All that games can by played from disc. To be precise when you put disc into your console it's downloaded from servers. It works exactly same as X360 games, disc is only key to run game.

Top Bottom