• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files new patent for ‘Accelerated Ray Tracing’ - speculation that it could be more performant

yurinka

Last edited:

hlm666

I made you a GPU profile of WD:L running on a 6700XT to show you the problem with rdna2's RT (RT pipeline in red). i think its probably not "unaccelerated ray traversal" (which makes maybe 10% of the RT frametime) but that because of shared registries and logic interdependencies RT occupancy [in this case] is only at 25% for long portions of the frame.

i think that is the general problem this patent is trying to improve on.
Thanks for that appreciate the effort. I didn't think amd had zero bvh acceleration just some things I read said nvidia could do some stuff in the RT hardware that amd had to do off the RT units. Are there any games you've seen where AMD has managed to get above that 25% utilisation because good lord that seems to be alot of performance thrown away.

Thanks for that appreciate the effort. I didn't think amd had zero bvh acceleration just some things I read said nvidia could do some stuff in the RT hardware that amd had to do off the RT units. Are there any games you've seen where AMD has managed to get above that 25% utilisation because good lord that seems to be alot of performance thrown away.

don't overestimate how this looks in a conventional fully rasterized game and / or on nivida... the conceptional problems are the same anywhere.

real GPU utilization (not the figure RTSS gives you but actual frame analysis) is often not higher than maybe 50% even in the better cases/games (there are big momentarily differences depending on where you are in the pipeline)... that's simply a product of logic interdependencies and that you can't put infinite information in low level memory

if we could have infinetly large lowest level caches (which is obviously not possible) you could do crazy stuff with GPUs

Q2 seemed to have some relatively good RT utilization on rdna2... but that figure alone won't tell you the whole story either. kinda hard to interpret such data for people not knowing what the engine actually does in every instance.

Shmunter

and what would that di exactly? is this weird believe that Insomniac's RayTracing implementation is magically better than others still alive? because, news flash... it isn't... they just made the correct decisions on how to implement it, but technically it's not in any way special
Must comment here. The hardware is fixed in its technology, but software is not.

It is the software that exploits the hardware to achieve meaningful results.

A solution that hits a high level of quality and performance is indeed categorically and technically superior to others that do not reach that threshold.

Indeed, part of Sony success is the R&D of solutions that are shared amongst the studios. They all exploit learnings to arguably create the best looking gfx in the industry.

rubbing hands GIF

Rudius

and what would that di exactly? is this weird believe that Insomniac's RayTracing implementation is magically better than others still alive? because, news flash... it isn't... they just made the correct decisions on how to implement it, but technically it's not in any way special
Regardless of how it is achieved, it is impressive to see all those huge buildings in open world Manhattan with raytracing reflections at 60fps and good resolution. I doubt many people were expecting this output from PS5.

Last edited:
Can someone explain? What is it?
This is a software? (or driver)?
If this can be done on current hardware means it could run on any compatible hardware? (incl. xbox or nvidia?)
This is RDNA2 or even PS5 exclusive optimization?
I
Yeah Mark Cerny is working on this for PS5 hardware and this is also for Xbox and Nvidia, why dont you think about something before you write?

I made you a GPU profile of WD:L running on a 6700XT to show you the problem with rdna2's RT (RT pipeline in red). i think its probably not "unaccelerated ray traversal" (which makes maybe 10% of the RT frametime) but that because of shared registries and logic interdependencies RT occupancy [in this case] is only at 25% for long portions of the frame.

wdlegion1440pultrahigxzjg0.png

i think that is the general problem this patent is trying to improve on.
Yeah mmm this is mumbo yumbo for me and i dont know the fuck what you are talking about, but i trust Mark Cerny about this, he knows what he is doing....

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Yeah Mark Cerny is working on this for PS5 hardware and this is also for Xbox and Nvidia, why dont you think about something before you write?
It's all RDNA2-based and Nvidia RTX has all the features of RDNA2. If there is something worth optimizing than why everyone is not utilized this already (AMD for example). So I wonder if this optimization PS5 exclusive or can be applied to any ray-tracing capable hardware. .
Care to think before you write?

Last edited:
It's all RDNA2-based and Nvidia RTX has all the features of RDNA2. If there is something worth optimizing than why everyone is not utilized this already (AMD for example). So I wonder if this optimization PS5 exclusive or can be applied to any ray-tracing capable hardware. .
Care to think before you write?
So you are suggesting ,that Cerny who is working on this software solution for Sony especialy for the Hardware setup of PS5 and then gives this patent to MS and Nvdia to use this for the Xbox and Nvdia hardware? Care to think before you tell me to think before i write?

Last edited:

onesvenus

Who knows? Not impossible if ps5 can do it (it's the same hardware) but for now the only way to use raytracing on AMD it's just with Direct X and it's far behind to the Nvidia tech and the ps5 API uses (looking to Insomniac games) hearing some developers.
Can you share more info on this? PS5 developers are under NDA so I'd love to know where that "DXRT is far behind ... to the PS5 API uses".

I don't think we've seen anything that really shows PS5 doing things XSX can't do

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
So you are suggesting ,that Cerny who is working on this software solution for Sony specialy the PS5 and then gives this patent to MS and Nvdia to use this for the Xbox and Nvdia hardware? Care to think before you tell me to think before i write?
Why give patent?
I just wonder
1. what it is
2. is it PS5 specific?
3. why it needed a patent
and all of this because we know almost nothing about it

hlm666

don't overestimate how this looks in a conventional fully rasterized game and / or on nivida... the conceptional problems are the same anywhere.

real GPU utilization (not the figure RTSS gives you but actual frame analysis) is often not higher than maybe 50% even in the better cases/games (there are big momentarily differences depending on where you are in the pipeline)... that's simply a product of logic interdependencies and that you can't put infinite information in low level memory

if we could have infinetly large lowest level caches (which is obviously not possible) you could do crazy stuff with GPUs

Q2 seemed to have some relatively good RT utilization on rdna2... but that figure alone won't tell you the whole story either. kinda hard to interpret such data for people not knowing what the engine actually does in every instance.
Q2 being fully path traced and getting better utilization is interesting, thanks again.

Must comment here. The hardware is fixed in its technology, but software is not.

Indeed, part of Sony success is the R&D of solutions that are shared amongst the studios. They all exploit learnings to arguably create the best looking gfx in the industry.
And I must comment here. You're not wrong, but touch on a very interesting point.

While that "sharing of solutions" may be a part of Sony's success. It's also the single largest contributor to Sony being in the corner they currently find themselves in, as well as why they're struggling to get out of it.

That corner I refer to is the one Sony has backed itself into. Where their 1st party studios are sharing so many solutions and tools that the only thing they do well is make singleplayer cinematic story driven games. That's not a bad corner to be in if that's the type of games you like to play. It certainly is though if you prefer other types of games.

It's been abundantly obvious for some time now that Sony's studios have been sharing a bit too much, for a bit too long.

FireFly

Depends to the direct X. From what I heard the direct X not allow an access to the raytracing as the low level API of ps5.
Where was this stated?

On the PC drivers are responsible for the BVH traversal, but on the console it would make sense for Microsoft to expose the traversal shader for developers to modify. The Metro devs don't indicate any difference between PS5 and XSX in this regard.

"What I can say for sure now is PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X currently run our code at about the same performance and resolution. As for the NV 3000-series, they are not comparable, they are in different leagues in regards to RT performance. AMD’s hybrid raytracing approach is inherently different in capability, particularly for divergent rays. On the plus side, it is more flexible, and there are myriad (probably not discovered yet) approaches to tailor it to specific needs, which is always a good thing for consoles and ultimately console gamers. At 4A Games, we already do custom traversal, ray-caching, and use direct access to BLAS leaf triangles which would not be possible on PC."

Last edited:

ckaneo

Insomniacs ability to maintain quality and performance with ray tracing is pretty good right now. Like others cant do it without DLSS

Would be cool if they shared their tech with playstation studios at least

Last edited:

Banned
Regardless of how it is achieved, it is impressive to see all those huge buildings in open world Manhattan with raytracing reflections at 60fps and good resolution. I doubt many people were expecting this output from PS5.

having super low quality rectangles reflected is not in any way impressive from a technical standpoint.
Insomniac chose the correct solution for SpiderMan, a game where you always swing and/or climb around tall reflective buildings. but their implementation is not in any way superior to say Watch Dogs from a technical standpoint, it is just that Ubisoft decided to have the focus on close range detail instead of draw distance for their reflections.

basically SpiderMan traded detail/quality inside the reflections for draw distance and watch Dogs did the exact opposite. (also Ubisoft's engine isn't the best in general when it comes to performance even without RT on)

And the reflections in Ratchet didn't need the massive draw distance so they look marginally more detailed as a result, but Doom Eternal with similarly big levels has arguably better reflections with a higher resolution as well

LordOfChaos

I hope things like this and FSR make for more games that apply as many ray traced effects as they can in 60fps mode, I'd forgo the split between performance and quality modes for the return to that singular focus, 60 first, then the most rays they can get in.

Control and Cyberpunk look so grossly smeary in RT/30 mode for some reason.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
So you are suggesting ,that Cerny who is working on this software solution for Sony especialy for the Hardware setup of PS5 and then gives this patent to MS and Nvdia to use this for the Xbox and Nvdia hardware? Care to think before you tell me to think before i write?
That would be like AMD making dozens of open source technologies over the past decade and making them a valuable to Nvidia!

Oh wait

Insomniacs ability to maintain quality and performance with ray tracing is pretty good right now. Like others cant do it without DLSS

Would be cool if they shared their tech with playstation studios at least

I mean it fine, but it’s just a really limited reflection based RT. That doesn’t really matter for vast amounts of environments, and isn’t the kinda of RT we see on PC that demands DLSS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom