• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Expanding Team Asobi

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
We’re building Team Asobi in Tokyo, a world-class studio that are developing a franchise for all ages with global appeal. Such a creative team.

PlayStation Blog post

Gimme more of this cute guy, Sony.

OIP.vmNDMZb34SUffXw90HfC0AHaEJ

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So let me get this straight. They laid off nearly all of Japan studios then absorbed the rest into team asobi and are now hiring?

why gut Japan studios in the first place then? they fired the creative director of pupeeter and demon souls remake just in April. And now they are expanding?

wtf is going on at sony?

That didn't happen. They folded Japan Studio into team Asobi. Some people were let go but presumably the best talent was retained aside from those that those to leave and pursue other projects.
I thought this was later proven false because some of the top talent communicated they were no longer working for Sony?

Well they've lied before, so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

I enjoyed Astrobot on PS5 though, so hopefully they work on a full game for that series.

Kerotan

So let me get this straight. They laid off nearly all of Japan studios then absorbed the rest into team asobi and are now hiring?

why gut Japan studios in the first place then? they fired the creative director of pupeeter and demon souls remake just in April. And now they are expanding?

wtf is going on at sony?
That studio went stale. They've a new fresh and exciting studio in Asobi. They'll build it with whoever is best for the job.

Yoboman

The last two Astro games are the first games I can remember from Sony to give genuine Nintendo quality vibes - maybe since Jak and Daxter

If they can scale up that team and maintain that quality I think it is 100% the direction to go for the Japan market

Everything that Sony Japan has been doing has just been way too niche. Anime girls, horror games and Team Ico. Even when these games are good just lacked the broad, high quality appeal that first party should capture

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah, Sony can go fuck themselves. They shut down Japan Studios for this shit.
The good part is you can do the same yourself. I'm sure in preparation for this hot take you may have practiced what you're preaching?

As far as this news goes, good. They have something with Astrobot which should be expanded upon.

Last edited:

Unknown?

wtf is going on at sony?
They were the only ones making good games.

Yeah, Sony can go fuck themselves. They shut down Japan Studios for this shit.
They shut them down? Looks like they're still open!

Last edited:

Amiga

Am I the only one who realized Sony laid off a ton of people from the original studio this was spun from and now suddenly wants to expand?

probably other divisions. shut down for redundancy or underperforming. then resources focused on this team because they have solid delivery. and judging by the game this team has a solid skill in programming a wide range of game mechanics.

NikuNashi

And to add insult to injury, they put a western guy in charge of the studio.
You mean they hired based on skill and suitability for the job not race. I think you are on the wrong forum with that BS.

Add to that the fact the previous person 'in charge of the studio' was a 'western guy' Allan Becker.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"Who says that multiplayer experience cannot have great stories, right?"

This is such a huge nugget. The next great frontier in gaming and Sony is likely leading the charge.

You mean they hired based on skill and suitability for the job not race. I think you are on the wrong forum with that BS.

Add to that the fact the previous person 'in charge of the studio' was a 'western guy' Allan Becker.
What does westerner have to do with race? What if it was a western japanese person put in charge who previously worked on UFC for EA? You think that person would put out games like Ico?

NikuNashi

What does westerner have to do with race? What if it was a western japanese person put in charge who previously worked on UFC for EA? You think that person would put out games like Ico?
What?! dude you will tire yourself out with these mental gymnastics. You should be replying to the other guy not me, I don't care where anybody is from just who is most suitable for a position based on merit.

What?! dude you will tire yourself out with these mental gymnastics. You should be replying to the other guy not me, I don't care where anybody is from just who is most suitable for a position based on merit.
Because you're the one using mental gymnastics bringing up the term race because the other guy said westerner. The two are not related.

Top Bottom