• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Doesn't View Xbox Game Pass as Competition, Sources Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell man....if we are going to start pitting lawyer bullshit against what CEOs say then they are all liars. And we don't even know if this one is accurate.

Well, that's where the "blocking" is coming from. No idea why anyone would expect Sony to purchase marketing of a game that would appear on a rival's subscription service. Not that any of the games Sony buys marketing rights for would appear on Game Pass at all during the duration of the marketing agreement anyway so it is entirely irrelevant.
The only one talking about marketing is you. If thats the point you want to make thats fine but has nothing to do with what I said. Its possible to market things and not block them from your competitor.

7Csb.gif

You might as well say it is "possible" to market a game and not block competitors from marketing that same game. Doesn't work that way.
I dont even know why you'd say that. Pragmata has a marketing deal with PS and is coming out on Xbox. I just don't know why you can't understand my simple comment that has nothing to do with marketing.

Three

I dont even know why you'd say that. Pragmata has a marketing deal with PS and is coming out on Xbox. I just don't know why you can't understand my simple comment that has nothing to do with marketing.
Is it coming out on gamepass though? You and Topher were talking about gamepass. Maybe you can't understand what people are discussing?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Marketing deals are not exclusivity deals so no idea why you are bringing up Pragamata. And I don't know why you can't understand that this has everything to do with marketing. If Microsoft can brag about a game being on Game Pass then that effectively negates any reason for Sony to have a marketing deal at all for that game.

Marketing deals are not exclusivity deals so no idea why you are bringing up Pragamata. And I don't know why you can't understand that this has everything to do with marketing. If Microsoft can brag about a game being on Game Pass then that effectively negates any reason for Sony to have a marketing deal at all for that game.
A marketing deal usually means you can't announce it or discuss it at all. It would just be on GP and not be blocked. Marketing can continue however PS agreed. The two things have nothing to do with eachother.

Three

A marketing deal usually means you can't announce it or discuss it at all. It would just be on GP and not be blocked. Marketing can continue however PS agreed. The two things have nothing to do with eachother.
They have everything to do with eachother because you don't want to be paying for the marketing for a game you sell that appears on a competitors subscription service. You will be paying for something that you would not get much benefit from.
A bigger group of PS owners own an xbox than xbox owners owning a PS. Your expected return on the game would be reduced based on that alone. Anyway do you even know if Pragmata has a marketing agreement with Sony? I haven't seen anything to indicate that, just it showing at the PS5 reveal.

So yes it would continue however PS agreed but they are less likely to agree to it which is why that exists in the marketing agreements to begin with.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Just not true. Sony's marketing deal doesn't stop Microsoft's PR team from spreading the word all over YouTube, Twitter, or any other media outlet that the game Sony is paying millions of dollars to market is on Game Pass. A marketing deal is created to maximize sales on that platform that acquired the deal. That's exactly what Sony is paying for: game sales. Why would they buy a marketing deal for game sales and allow a subscription service on another platform to take away from that? Why do you think Cyberpunk 2077 isn't on Game Pass? That marketing deal belonged to Microsoft. Game sales. You really think they would have allowed the game on PS+? Come on, dude.

Last edited:

Pelta88

we’ve sold more PS5’s in two years than they have gathered subscribers and they’ve been doing that for 6-7 years.​

I think that is pathetic response from him, considering Sony PSnow has been uttershit for a long time.

Your personal view on the PS service is one thing. But the numbers involved paint a starkly different picture.

Microsoft's entry offer is £1/$1 or free. The PS5 retails for £450. The fact that PlayStation has sold double their £450 console in 2 years, than XBOX has GP in 7 years, should be an alarming fact for anyone interested in this hobby of ours.

Last edited:

Akuza89

i think they may be lying....
they've relaunched ps+ to compete with it..
it's like sony just have no idea what another department is doing or something.

ProtoByte

Websites are getting worse with this misinterpretation nonsense to come up with a spicy title. If the quotes are real, what Ryan's saying is that they're keeping their foot on the gas, and so far, it's paying off. If there's anything to take away from this bait, it's that Sony believes Gamepass subscribers have and/or are currently decreasing.

I don't think they see it as just "competition". It's pretty clear they recognize it for what it is: A threat to the model of selling fucking games that makes the business viable for them, and how the industry has functioned since its inception.

feynoob

Banned
Your personal view on the PS service is one thing. But the numbers involved paint a starkly different picture.
It doesn't.
Using a mandatory subscription against a choice service is not a good outlook.

I can't compare PS+(essential) to gamepass, because they are different services, and target different audience.

Microsoft's entry offer is £1/$1 or free. The cost of a PS5 retails for £450. The fact that PlayStation has sold double their £450 console, than XBOX has GP in 7 years, should be an alarming fact for anyone interested in this hobby of ours.
Can't believe you are actually comparing a hardware sale against a subscription service.

Los Angeles Clippers Omg GIF by BBALLBREAKDOWN

Pelta88

Can't believe you are actually comparing a hardware sale against a subscription service.

According to this rumour, that was Jim Ryan.

But I guess that's why they pay him the big bucks to keep up to date with those type of stats.

Last edited:

fermcr

Sony don't view Xbox Game Pass as competition... and yet, they make 3d party deals to not launch 3rd games on Game Pass.
Guess that's a lot of money spent on something they don't view as competition.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
According to this rumour, that was Jim Ryan.

But I guess that's why they pay him the big bucks to keep up to date with those type of stats.
This article is just clickbait article. Don't take it serious. Because those claims are just wild assumptions, especially those comparisons.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Or the article or its source

Could very well be, again what he's saying is in direct contrast to Sony's immediately raised concerns in the recent filings.

Microsoft's entry offer is £1/$1 or free. The PS5 retails for £450. The fact that PlayStation has sold double their £450 console in 2 years, than XBOX has GP in 7 years, should be an alarming fact for anyone interested in this hobby of ours.

holy shit, now this thread has reached a new loony level :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Chukhopops

What makes me doubt is the « 6-7 years » quote.

I expect complete idiots on GAF to not know how to calculate 2022 - 2017, but Sony’s management would probably at least know it’s been 5 years.

Anyway, I hope Sony keeps doing what they’re doing since I like the idea of brands having different strategies.

That's why he spends millions to keep games, even Call of Duty, off Game Pass I'm sure.

And strange comparison... comparing PS5 sales to the sales of a subscription service? Xbox Game Pass has gained 15 million subscribers since 2020. PS+ has only gained 2.7 million at best. But I'm guessing that's not a very flattering comparison for him to make, therefore Game Pass vs PS5 sales was the move. Okay Jim, it's your world fella lol.

reinking

Gold Member
And strange comparison... comparing PS5 sales to the sales of a subscription service? Xbox Game Pass has gained 15 million subscribers since 2020. PS+ has only gained 2.7 million at best. But I'm guessing that's not a very flattering comparison for him to make, therefore Game Pass vs PS5 sales was the move. Okay Jim, it's your world fella lol.
Context. If what was quoted was said I am sure he meant that OVER ALL PlayStation is (at that time) in a good position. Sheesh, some of you act like everything has to be an attack on MS. This was an INTERNAL MEETING and not meant for public MISREPRESENTATION.

Wait a minute, this isn't even a confirmed Jim Ryan statement? It's hearsay? In that case, I retract my criticism, because I hate this kind of reporting most without evidence.

Context. If what was quoted was said I am sure he meant that OVER ALL PlayStation is (at that time) in a good position. Sheesh, some of you act like everything has to be an attack on MS. This was an INTERNAL MEETING and not meant for public MISREPRESENTATION.

He attacked my mom first. I'm just fighting back! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I kid. Is this even confirmed? Seems like hearsay.

i think they may be lying....
they've relaunched ps+ to compete with it..
it's like sony just have no idea what another department is doing or something.

This is the thing where I think you have a lot of fanboys and outrageous reactions that are unwarranted.

PS+ is not a competitor to GamePass, they aren't at all the same model.

Could Sony have replicated the GamePass model on PlayStation? Yeah, it's not difficult. Nintendo could as well. There is nothing inherently special about GamePass, just as there is nothing inherently special about Netflix's model, which has been replicated as well.

They relaunched PS+ because PS Now was not meeting expectations and by relaunching PS+ as a tiered subscription, they could milk more money out of willing consumers. That doesn't make it a competitor to GamePass. They only thing they have in common are being subscription services, but unlike other industries, they aren't sharing the same model at all.

Department? You realize that Jim Ryan is the CEO of Sony (PlayStation) if you don't think he has a grasp on what the purpose and strategy is for PS+, I think it's oyu who is confused.

Sony doesn't want a GamePass competitor because they know that it would come to the detriment of their current revenue model. They make 30 percent off games sold via the PS Store and instead you want them PAY publishers to put games on their subscription service AND put their own highly successful first party games on that same service to what? Marginally increase their PS+ numbers and have even slimmer margins than GamePass?

PS+ has more subscribers than GamePass... No one disputes that and on top of that you have to presume that PS+ also provides a SIGNIFICANTLY better profit margin as the money isn't lining publishers with nearly as much money to present their games on the service AND Sony's first party games don't debut there, allowing them to gather that first round of revenue from individual sales AND Sony is still getting the royalties of the 3rd party first run sales.

Now is there a chance that Microsoft's model catches on and is seen as the standard bearer for the industry? Absolutely, but as Disney who is much more a kin to Sony in this scenario has proven is they can very quickly catch up in the streaming business simply by offering the same model as Netflix combined with their own greater in demand content.

In other words, Sony can flip the switch into a GamePass like model anytime they want, and as long as they have better first party games AND a larger consumer base, they'll be able to maintain market superiority unlike a Blockbuster type situation who didn't have the infrastructure to pivot as quickly.

Continue with console war posts such as this and you will be earning a break from the site.
I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?

MS and Sony main competitor is and always was Nintendo.

Nintendo hasn't really been competition for Sony since the N64, apart from when Sony was competing in the mobile market.

Microsoft has been Sony's only real competition and only became competitive with Sony when the PS3 underperformed.

Sony's lack of competition I think is actually detrimental to their company and why they haven't really grown all that much and other software publishers have grown significantly faster.

Godot25

Banned
Lol.
Yeah sure. That's why Sony crapped out PS Plus refresh on the market. Jesus Jimbo. Only reason why you are trying to axe ABK deal is Game Pass and now you are trying to pretend you don't see it as threat?

You are so not afraid of Game Pass that you are blocking games from being in Game Pass. That should tell us level of bullshit Jimbo is trying to say...

Funniest thing is that Microsoft has fastest selling Xbox consoles in history despite fact that they launched only 2 AAA first party game in 2 years. Guess why Jimbo 😂😂

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This is either complete made up nonsense or the quotes are really old to be low 20s

Made up nonsense.

I can't believe somebody was sat in this alleged Q&A meeting and thought:

"Wow. This shit is gold! I'm going to type down what Jim said, word for word, and sell it to......insider gaming"

Bollocks. Complete made up nonsense to add fuel to the never ending console war.

“We’re just shy of 50 million subscribers and they are in the low 20s, but there’s more work to do to grow that number”.

He’s always doing this. Comparing PSN+ Essential with GamePass. These are not like for like offerings. Essential is comparable to Xbox live Gold.

I’d be very curious to see how PSN+ Premium and Extra compare to GamePass.. I suspect that would tell a very different story. It almost seems like they rebranded PlayStation Now just so they could make dubious claims like this.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I’d be very curious to see how PSN+ Premium and Extra compare to GamePass.. I suspect that would tell a very different story. It almost seems like they rebranded PlayStation Now just so they could make dubious claims like this.
Of course it is different story. Sony is even crying about it to regulators...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom