• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Doesn't View Xbox Game Pass as Competition, Sources Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
wp8830798-xbox-game-pass-wallpapers.jpg

It’s been claimed by Insider Gaming sources that Jim Ryan, CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, has implied that the company doesn’t view Xbox Game Pass as competition, despite the company expressing concerns about Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

One source, who wishes to remain anonymous because they couldn’t speak about their knowledge of the information publically has said that Jim Ryan had an employee Q&A earlier this month, where he talked about market competition.

In response to a question about Xbox Game Pass, Jim Ryan reportedly said that “When we consider Game Pass, it seems to be getting lower [Game Pass numbers]. When we consider Game Pass, we’ve sold more PS5’s in two years than they have gathered subscribers and they’ve been doing that for 6-7 years.”

Ryan reportedly continued “We’re just shy of 50 million subscribers and they are in the low 20s, but there’s more work to do to grow that number”.

Ryan’s reported comments are somewhat surprising when the company is currently battling Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard, which Sony argues is “bad for competition, bad for the gaming industry, and bad for gamers themselves”, (via Reuters).

feynoob

Banned
Also the flip flop for gamepass numbers is too funny.
Ryan reportedly continued “We’re just shy of 50 million subscribers and they are in the low 20s, but there’s more work to do to grow that number”.
From CMA document, it said around 29m.
MS is saying 25m.
And now Ryan is saying low 20m.

Can somebody make a sense of this.

feynoob

Banned
funny quotes if true, but theres no evidence any of this is legit yet
I think this part discredits this article.
Their recent CMA number shows something else.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

HOT TAKE: Jim Ryan's DGAF attitude is completely baller and I want to get PS+ Extra just to reward it.

I mean, I'm not going to because I have Game Pass. But still.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Either Jim as per this article or Sony legal going by the concerns they've raised about game pass.

One of them is not on the up and up.

Hell man....if we are going to start pitting lawyer bullshit against what CEOs say then they are all liars. And we don't even know if this one is accurate.

Well, that's where the "blocking" is coming from. No idea why anyone would expect Sony to purchase marketing of a game that would appear on a rival's subscription service. Not that any of the games Sony buys marketing rights for would appear on Game Pass at all during the duration of the marketing agreement anyway so it is entirely irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom