• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony did me dirty. Auto renewed my PS+ using the funds in my Wallet. Now I have nothing left for God of War.

Topher

Gold Member
If the rumors about god of war are true they did you a favor....

Oh geez.......do I even want to ask?

John Candy No GIF by Laff

mcjmetroid

I honestly think the auto renew systems are scum. I got bit once with the Nintendo online seervice as well in a similar, they're banking on you forgetting that you clicked auto-renew and refuse to give you a refund even immediatly after releasing funds were taken from your account.

Lesson learnt there anyway. Never agree to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Kamina

Golden Boy
I too hate that they always activate auto-renew when you buy PS+, even if you turned it off before.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ahh, the good old annual "I didn't read shit and just mashed okay and they charged me for it"

kikii

didnt read, so when there is an option to not renew, you come here and make thread cry me a rivers, its ur fault not sonys, i do wonder how dumb these ppl are some times :messenger_expressionless:

Shifty

Magic Carpet Magic Carpet if you can't get a refund and it's looking like you can't afford the game a week or so ahead of release, hit me up and remind me of this thread.
I laud this implied generosity, though urge caution based on OPs attitude. He'll probably find some way to buy scratchcards with it.

Unless it's a secret plan to laugh at him again closer to release, in which case carry on you machiavellian son of a gun.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s evidence that you should cancel before a subscription ends auto renew has been the norm.

I laud this implied generosity, though urge caution based on OPs attitude. He'll probably find some way to buy scratchcards with it.

Unless it's a secret plan to laugh at him again closer to release, in which case carry on you machiavellian son of a gun.
Ya know, back in Jan when I got the PS5 I was given a 1year ps+ scratch off code as a gift.
I gave the code to Kingfey who quickly left Neogaf soon after.
If I knew he was gonna bail I might be in a different mind set.
Garfield is gone.

Last edited:
I had planed to ditch PS+ last month. I don't use the Playstation for anything but the first party games that I have to spend 70 bucks each for.
In January I finally got ahold of a PS5, loaded up the wallet for Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, and God of War Ragnarok. The money is spent for 2022.
I just got an email saying that PS+ auto renewed for the next year. I now have 11.15 in my Wallet. It auto renewed using the funds in that wallet.
God of War might as well come out in 2023 now.
Thanks for doing me dirty Sony. Edit -Thanks for allowing me to do myself dirty Sony.
Yes I have now turned off that stupid auto renew switch.

I guess as consolation I now have 1 more year of PS+
:messenger_pensive:
Work uber eats or something for a couple hours dude Jesus lol, like 3 hours on whatever fucking schedule you want in the next 3 months, give me a fucking break

BTW, if your funds are that limited, you should cancel the subscription now. You'll get the time you paid for and it won't attempt to auto renew

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
One job is too many if you ask me.

He can always go to wallstreetbets and buy some meme stocks.

I had planed to ditch PS+ last month. I don't use the Playstation for anything but the first party games that I have to spend 70 bucks each for.
In January I finally got ahold of a PS5, loaded up the wallet for Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, and God of War Ragnarok. The money is spent for 2022.
I just got an email saying that PS+ auto renewed for the next year. I now have 11.15 in my Wallet. It auto renewed using the funds in that wallet.
God of War might as well come out in 2023 now.
Thanks for doing me dirty Sony. Edit -Thanks for allowing me to do myself dirty Sony.
Yes I have now turned off that stupid auto renew switch.

I guess as consolation I now have 1 more year of PS+
:messenger_pensive:

Sorry to hear. You can always get it for free with PS Plus in 3 years :)

Jokes aside, depending where you live, you can always sue the company to give your the credits back

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At least Sony let's you turn it off. My Sirius XM and Paramount+ subs doesn't even give me the option to do that.
Yep. Sirius you need to either call, email, or live chat. It's how they sucker you in to the "super discounted rates" when you want to cancel after the yearly promotion ends and "regular pricing" takes effect.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
I always said the wallet feature is a silly feature that's not needed and this is exactly why they added it. So they can bill gullible people without their knowledge.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I always said the wallet feature is a silly feature that's not needed and this is exactly why they added it. So they can bill gullible people without their knowledge.
But they do tell you when you sign up, they even email you in advance before they do it as well.

Wallets are for those who opt to use the preload cards instead of credit card setups, or if they get them as gifts.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
And make you have balances you can't use left over from the gift card your grandma gave you. Oh, there's $2.17 left in your account? Buy a couple of profile pictures or don't, but you're not going to get that back.

SkylineRKR

They put on auto renewal if you buy Plus from their PS Store. I think its a dick move. They bank on people buying a year, and then assuming it will run out. But you have to manually disable it each time you buy Plus from them.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This was the final straw for me in regards to not getting a PS5 anytime near launch.

I spent thousands on their online store, so when they weren't willing to refund an annoying auto-renew charge, because it's already been done one time, over like 8 years, it pissed me off. And then they pulled that "God of War 2021" stunt, which was an obvious lie, and I just thought "screw this company, might be nice to try an X-Box."

Don't get me wrong, they still have my favorite exclusives, and I want one eventually, but there ya go.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They put on auto renewal if you buy Plus from their PS Store. I think its a dick move. They bank on people buying a year, and then assuming it will run out. But you have to manually disable it each time you buy Plus from them.
Every. Sub Service. Does this.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Was you planning on cancelling your PS+ subscription?

AGRacing

Gold Member
If you can't find a way between August 3rd and November (more than 1/3rd of an entire year) to make an extra 70 bucks... sell your PlayStation and get your life together ASAP.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't have other subs automatically writing off a year of cash in advance. A month, yeah.
If you choose the monthly plan. There are options (monthly, 3 months, yearly), he chose what he chose.

And yes, if you choose the yearly from Disney+ as well as others, it does the very same thing.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes, it auto-renews (that's what subscriptions do, generally), and yes, you can turn that off. You only did yourself dirty.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't have other subs automatically writing off a year of cash in advance. A month, yeah.

You can sub to PS+ month by month if you want to. It will cost more over time, but it is an option. You choosing to pay for a full year is on you (I do too).

Don't leave funds in your wallet (or at least as little as possible) or give Sony any credit card information that may well get hacked or used without you knowing. I thought we learned that in 2011.

Don't have auto-renew on. Of course, that shouldn't matter if you if you follow step 1.

Don't initiate a chargeback. They'll probably ban you. Maybe try refunding. Wouldn't hurt to fill out a form or make a call and see what happens. But their support is pretty lousy and they do not care if you remain their customer or not.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Oh uh, maybe I should have backtracked and read more of the thread first......

Why the hell would you load up the wallet months ahead of purchase time?

I mean, is there a single benefit of doing this?

Pretty sure Sony isn't a bank

Last edited:
Top Bottom