• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony did me dirty. Auto renewed my PS+ using the funds in my Wallet. Now I have nothing left for God of War.

reinking

Gold Member
This is normal for subscription services. It sucks but that is the way it is. For those jumping down Sony's throat on this, I had something similar but worse years ago with Xbox Live Gold. My CC on file for my Xbox account had lapsed and I left it on file knowing they would not be able to renew my XBLG account. I wasn't planning to renew and MS even sent me an email telling me my account could not be charged. A few months later I noticed I had XBLG again. Turns out, they took my CC info from the Microsoft store (which was seperate) and updated my Xbox account with that info. They would not issue a partial refund even though they took it upon themselves to take my account info from one store and update it to another over a month later and charged for a lapsed subscription. I know MS has gotten better about customer service since but back then it was a valuable lesson for me to not be lazy and rely on these corporations to control my account. As others have said, turn off auto update immediately after any changes to the account.

Last edited:
They literally warn you before you click purchase or accept that auto renew will be turned on, and to turn it off, go into your settings. All subscription services from Netflix, to UberOne to everything in between does this.
Yes I think that was the email that I read right before the next one. :(

Pelta88

I see it as yet another reason Sony isn't getting my Credit Card info.

You didn't know I was joking?

What happened in regards to the funding of your account is in the fine print you pressed X to when booting up your Playstation. A legal document that is in accord with legislation of every country Playstation operates in.

Fbh

On the plus side your gaming schedule just got an opening to play Yakuza Like a Dragon

jlsv9jjco2d81.gif

I don't see how Sony did anything wrong in this case. Xbox or Nintendo would have done the same thing if you had auto-renew enabled.
The main difference is I used the prepaid scratch off things every year for PS+. I did not know it would use the Wallet for any auto renew. But I've learned a few posts back that it auto enables the auto renew.

Just call Sony and report back. If they don't refund you then yeah that's dirty. If it's not worth the "hassle" then wtf are you doin?

Sounds like yo ass needs a J-O-B! Because come time for GoW to come out. You won't have to worry about catchin Atreus. You gonna have to worry about Atreus, CATCHIN YO ASS!

I think I've come up with a plan. I'm going to rob peter to pay paul.
I'm going to rob Microsoft to pay Sony.

October is the last month of getting old xbox 360 games with Gold. I'll downgrade Gamepass Ultimate to just Gamepass, then use the 5 bucks to upgrade PS+ to the next tier up.
But I think I will just have to grit and give Sony a credit card number.

DaGwaphics

First thing I do after adding a code to my PS account is to go back in and disable auto renewal. They will activate that automatically every time you redeem a PS+/PSNow card.

oldergamer

Wait, sony is supposed to be asking users if they want to auto renew and defaulting to "no" based on recent data laws in the USA and Europe

Kerotan

Instead of crying on here why don't you just ring them up and sort it out.

I decided the Day after I subbed to PS Extra that I wanted the upgrade promo to premium instead so I rang them, got it cancelled and in my own time subbed to premium.

I'd even downloaded stray and booted it up so for all they knew I was playing a fast one to play stray for free but they still obliged.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, the first thing I do with any subscription service is to end it at the same time I purchase it so that I don’t accidentally renew anything.

...Auto renew should always be opt-in, not opt-out
Obviously. "Unless you explicitly inform us, we assume that you will be paying us in perpetuity, and we'll be grabbing those funds." :p That's how fucking corporations view consumers.

But anything legally allowed that companies can do short of outright walking into your home and grabbing your wallet...they will do. Always best to assume they're all unethical thieves and cross all those t's and dot all those i's.

Fuz

Banned

October is the last month of getting old xbox 360 games with Gold. I'll downgrade Gamepass Ultimate to just Gamepass, then use the 5 bucks to upgrade PS+ to the next tier up.
ASK FOR A FUCKING REFUND!

NinjaBoiX

- sub to anything
- cancel sub immediately

If you really want it, you’ll want to resub after your initial sub expires.

Simples.

(I rarely adhere to this, but the point still stands, lol)

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

I had planed to ditch PS+ last month. I don't use the Playstation for anything but the first party games that I have to spend 70 bucks each for.
In January I finally got ahold of a PS5, loaded up the wallet for Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, and God of War Ragnarok. The money is spent for 2022.
I just got an email saying that PS+ auto renewed for the next year. I now have 11.15 in my Wallet. It auto renewed using the funds in that wallet.
God of War might as well come out in 2023 now.
Thanks for doing me dirty Sony. Edit -Thanks for allowing me to do myself dirty Sony.
Yes I have now turned off that stupid auto renew switch.

I guess as consolation I now have 1 more year of PS+
:messenger_pensive:
Congrats for one more year of the best deal in gaming OP,
now start saving for GOAT Ragnarok.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
OP that game isnt coming out for another 90 days. Im sure you can find a way to save $70 by then.

Minimum wage jobs in resturants nowadays are like $12-15 per hour. They used to pay out just $5.25 per hour when i was in high school and I had no problems buying any games on day at full price. Even at $5.25, i would get a $120 paycheck every week. I saw that my local chick fila was paying $15 an hour. Just work there for half a day and you will have $60.

Topher

Gold Member
Wait, sony is supposed to be asking users if they want to auto renew and defaulting to "no" based on recent data laws in the USA and Europe

What are you getting that from? Every subscription I have defaults to "opt-in". Including Microsoft.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What are you getting that from? Every subscription I have defaults to "opt-in". Including Microsoft.
And UberOne (Uber Eats), Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Nintendo Online (lmao), DashPass (Door Dash), Disney+, HBO Max, etc etc etc.

Sony though... SONY THO!!!

*shakes fist at retarded clouds*

dezzy8

Should’ve canceled your sub. Call them and see if you can get a refund. Wouldn’t hurt. They gave me a refund on a game my niece bought by accident before.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm sure you will have saved up enough money by the time GoW releases next year.

Shifty

Why ring up and leverage the 14-day refund policy when you can HUSTLE

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

Top Bottom